• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

CO6f39QXAAEijoo.jpg

per Aaron Forsythe's twitter

It's a good pairing with 4xSiege Rhino. Spend the same colors as the other behemoth and you get a 5/5 vigitrample for your troubles. This is probably the first creature card spoiled that I actually want to cast.

DrArchon

Not worth it to play in anything less than a 3-color deck, but it's a great value in those decks. Not gonna dominate constructed or anything but still a nice card.

I still don't like new-Sunburst though.

Takuhi

Okay, that's really good. And Radiant Flames is good too.

Converge is really underrated. People just aren't prepared for how insane the mana fixing is gonna be with fetches + battlelands.

duxstar

That is a real creature with real abilities, first exciting card I've seen in awhile. Can't be chump blocked either, potentially a 7/7 but more likely a 6/6 trample , and plays defense as well.

OnPoint

Even in a 2-color deck, a 4/4 vigilant trampler isn't bad. I don't think it's setting the world on fire, but turn 2 Rattleclaw into turn 3 Siege Rhino into turn 4 5/5 Wanderer doesn't seem like a bad line to me, if a little Christmaslandy.

duxstar

Even in a 2-color deck, a 4/4 vigilant trampler isn't bad. I don't think it's setting the world on fire, but turn 2 Rattleclaw into turn 3 Siege Rhino into turn 4 5/5 Wanderer doesn't seem like a bad line to me, if a little Christmaslandy.

Interesting point you bring up but even in green decks that aren't running red or blue , like let's say abzan , you can flip rattleclaw and still use that ability to help with casting converge .

OnPoint

^^^ That green one though. Holy shit ^^^

Interesting point you bring up but even in green decks that aren't running red or blue , like let's say abzan , you can flip rattleclaw and still use that ability to help with casting converge .

Right? It feels almost a little too perfect haha

I wonder if we'll see a 5 CMC ally legend with converge.

Those lands are pretty sweet, as is that trampler.

I'd say they wouldn't do that when people have been asking for an ally legend to build a 5-color ally Commander deck, and a converge guy wouldn't have all five color identities, but who knows with this set.

The lands look good, though I've always had a hard time figuring out how powerful lands with abilities other than mana production are.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Yeah that green one is pretty damn great in a draft. Especially since the rest of the cards don't go to the graveyard.

Yeah that green one is pretty damn great in a draft. Especially since the rest of the cards don't go to the graveyard.
Actually, it would be busted if they went to the yard. Instant 4-of in standard for a lot of decks.

So far the lands are miles better than any of the other cards in the set outside the walkers.

Man why am I crazy for thinking that blue enchantment has a place somewhere?

It's very strong in Limited if five-color is reasonably viable, which is why it's at rare in the first place, even if it doesn't look too impressive.

I suspect that it's a cycle. I'm guessing the red one will be like:

Remove a crystal counter: Deal 1 damage to target creature.
WUBRG: Deal 3 damage to target player.

Yeef

It's very strong in Limited if five-color is reasonably viable, which is why it's at rare in the first place, even if it doesn't look too impressive.

I suspect that it's a cycle. I'm guessing the red one will be like:

Remove a crystal counter: Deal 1 damage to target creature.
WUBRG: Deal 3 damage to target player.
I think if it were a tight cycle we would have already seen 1 or 2 others by now; there's only 10 rares left to spoil by my count.

I think it's just a looser cycle of rare converge cards. Since blue and green are the primary converge colors, I think we'll see 1 more green converge rare and 1 white converge rare. That would put the numbers at 1 white, 2 blue, 1 black, 1 red, 2 green, 1 GU-Multicolor.

[EDIT] Speculation, because I'm bored and don't have work in the morning:

White Converge Rare 2W
Instant
Put X 1/1 white Soldier Ally tokens onto the battlefield, where X is number of colors, etc.

Green Converge Rare 4G
Sorcery
Creatures you control get +X/+X and gain trample until end of turn, where X, etc.

Green Converge Uncommon 2G
Sorcery
Target creatures you control gets +X/+X and fights target creature you don't control where, etc.

At a certain point you look at your binder and go, "Well, I'm sitting on 1500 bucks worth of staples, what's more fun, trading towards... something or a nicer computer?"

This game is too fucking expensive. It's a tabletop game with its own stock market.

Or 50 Italian meals.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";178842491]At a certain point you look at your binder and go, "Well, I'm sitting on 1500 bucks worth of staples, what's more fun, trading towards... something or a nicer computer?"

This game is too fucking expensive. It's a tabletop game with its own stock market.

Or 50 Italian meals.
[/QUOTE]

At least on the stock market, when you buy Disney, you know you are getting Disney and not some hole in the wall with the word Disney on its sign board.

I don't know what is known about the lore at this point, but should I hold out hope for a new Nahiri in the second set of this block? She's my planeswalker waifu.

Hackworth

I don't know what is known about the lore at this point, but should I hold out hope for a new Nahiri in the second set of this block? She's my planeswalker waifu.
On one hand, Nahiri last showed up in a set that plucked characters from throughout time and space, and on the other, I think the last Uncharted Realms she showed up in implied she was basically immortal even as a neowalker.

Assuming the block Planeswalker population can handle her, odds are okay-to-goodish.

Also good waifu choice

On one hand, Nahiri last showed up in a set that plucked characters from throughout time and space, and on the other, I think the last Uncharted Realms she showed up in implied she was basically immortal even as a neowalker.

Assuming the block Planeswalker population can handle her, odds are okay-to-goodish.

Also good waifu choice
I want to say it's implied that Sorin turned her into a vampire so she could continue watching over the Hedrons or whatever. Maybe she lost her spark I think, but I'm pretty sure Ob Nixilis did too and he's back.

At this point, I almost expect something like:

Green Converge Rare
2G
Sorcery (R)
Converge - Put X +1/+1 counters on target creature where X is yadda yadda etc...

I would've said +x/+x until EOT, but that's too terrible for me to even joke about.

Matriox

9Hfa2Mt.jpg

Edit: Oh shit, I completely missed double x, I don't like it anymore lol. It's more expensive than oblivion ring for 1 target and gets crazy expensive really quick for more targets.

11924724_10206288096014881_1256827997_n.jpg

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Quarantine Field is neat. The counter interactivity isn't something relevant in standard but see why its mythic with its interactivity with stuff like the Doubling Season variant and what not.

Lucario

I cannot wait to 0-1 drafts by picking Molten Nursery way too high.

I love that they trigger off themselves. Hell, I love nearly everything about that card. It's not Burning Vengeance or Lightning Rift, but it sure looks fun.

Since I'm late to this thread:

No idea why people on reddit are shitting all over Painful Truths. The color requirement is unfortunate, but it seems wrong to immediately dismiss a card that draws 3 for 3 mana. I'd be shocked if it didn't see standard play, and I'm going to try it out as a 2-of in modern Grixis Control.

That poses an interesting question. Without the demand for expedition lands and the full art basics, isn't the EV going to crater on MTGO?

That's a good point, especially with the new prize distributions keeping pack prices high. I have no idea what's going to happen.

Maybe people just won't redeem this set at all, and whichever mythics establish themselves as Standard staples will hit 30-40 tix each? It'll be interesting to see.

I cannot wait to 0-1 drafts by picking Molten Nursery way too high.

I love that they trigger off themselves. Hell, I love nearly everything about that card. It's not Burning Vengeance or Lightning Rift, but it sure looks fun.

Since I'm late to this thread:

No idea why people on reddit are shitting all over Painful Truths. The color requirement is unfortunate, but it seems wrong to immediately dismiss a card that draws 3 for 3 mana. I'd be shocked if it didn't see standard play, and I'm going to try it out as a 2-of in modern Grixis Control.

It's just that Read the bones is better in most cases and decks. It digs deeper and is monocolored.

9Hfa2Mt.jpg

Edit: Oh shit, I completely missed double x, I don't like it anymore lol. It's more expensive than oblivion ring for 1 target and gets crazy expensive really quick for more targets.

11924724_10206288096014881_1256827997_n.jpg

In a format with a card like Dromoka's Command and just when Nykthos is rotating out, I just don't think it's so powerful. It does exile noncreatures which is an upside to stasis snare.

Why couldn't it have been a 2/2 eldrazi?

traveler

Not Wario
Too magical Christmasland to hope for Eldrazi ramp deck that gets quarantines the enemy board, then processes all the quarantined permanents into their graveyard so it doesn't even matter if they destroy it or not?

Ironic that Eldrazi have the more favorable interactions with a card meant to combat them, flavor wise.

Lucario

It's just that Read the bones is strictly better in most cases and decks. It digs deeper and is monocolored.

I don't understand this argument at all; 'Scry 2' is not strictly better than 'draw a card'. If you're a control/midrange deck that wants to hit land drops, it's just straight-up worse in most situations.

Read the Bones is a very strong card and fits into more decks, but Painful Truths is a much better choice in the lists that can support it.

I don't understand this argument at all; 'Scry 2' is not strictly better than 'draw a card'. If you're a control/midrange deck that wants to hit land drops, it's just straight-up worse in most situations.

Read the Bones is a very strong card and fits into more decks, but Painful Truths is a much better choice in the lists that can support it.

I'd much rather have scry 2, draw 2, lose 2 than draw 3 (at best) lose 3 in pretty much any case tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom