• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haines

Banned
Yeah i would imagine!

at first glance as a newbie planeswalkers looked super complicated and kind of annoying to play with but now i can see they add a whole new depth to the game.

Hero

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";180825830]If Mr. Leather Daddy Knight and his shoulderless Folsom Street Fair costume straddling a red-hot phallic symbol while standing in front of a metaphoric orgasm are what get your juices flowing, then by all means. Enjoy your artwork.[/QUOTE]

Much better than anything with Sorin in it. Sorin is a terrible character.

Okay, thread moved, title changed (blame Sigma.) I'm going to keep it as the BFZ |OT| since that's kind of the premise on which we'll be bouncing into the OT more regularly.

Not going to move it for C15, don't get greedy folks. ;)

Cool guys don't look at explosions.

I think of that particular Vindicate as the "Had Mexican Last Night" edition.

cory64

10 packs of BFZ opened (prerelease + a few singles):
1 Gideon
1 Ob Nixilis
1 Canopy Vista Expedition
1 Sunken Hollow foil
plus 8 rares I haven't checked the value of

Not bad. I think I'm done with this set though, maybe one or two drafts.

I actually like this new style of OT after having had it for a while. It got more people to come in and ask questions,etc.

When Gatewatch comes out is it going to be a new thread or an Addendum to this one? Will that depend on the rate we go through this one?

I really want to see Crucible of Worlds reprinted- What do you think the chances of this are for this upcoming Commander thing? Obvs, just speculation, I'm still curious.

charlequin moving us back into the ghetto. Man, I remember when you were cool.

The ghetto's where all the cool people hang out.

XUGleYo.jpg

I really want to see Crucible of Worlds reprinted- What do you think the chances of this are for this upcoming Commander thing? Obvs, just speculation, I'm still curious.

I don't think any of the enemy color pairs obviously suggest a lands-matter theme, so not sure where they'd put it.

I'm excited for C15 if only because of WB and RW commanders.

Blue-green and blue-red really are the ones that need the help the most, I think. (But I do like WB and RW much more as color combos.)

OnPoint

I don't know if any colors suggest this, but, if I had to concoct a situation where this might happen, maybe Black-Green has a self-mill strategy so it fits there?

God I would love a reprint of that card.

OnPoint

Have you seen the way Merfolk worked in Llorwyn draft? :)

[im]http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=152737&type=card[/img]

Nah, I wasn't playing back then. Your examples make sense, but I still think it's strange to see a mono-white merfolk.

Been brewing this morning. Here's a loose Modern sketch that's probably not good but might be casually fun.

Edit: new list below

The idea of the deck, if it's not obvious, is to exploit cheap creatures that provide value when dead. Wrath a board with a bunch of your dudes? Profit. Rally on their turn for 1 or 2, block a bunch of stuff, Viscera Seer the rest away? Profit. Get that Grim Haruspex or Ascendency out, too? That's just gravy.

This is by no means a tuned list. There's no mainboard targeted removal, which you probably need (especially with Twin always around). It's obviously weak to Rest in Peace so it would need enchantment hate in the board.

Edit:

I forgot about Blood Artist! Here's an updated list
Code:
[U]Creatures 22[/U]
Viscera Seer x4
Doomed Traveller x4
Young Wolf x3
Blisterpod x3
Voice of Resurgence x4
Blood Artist x2
Grim Haruspex x2

[U]Non creatures 16[/U]
Rally the Ancestors x4
Wrath of God x4
Day of Judgement x2
Abzan Ascendency x2
Dismember x2
Path to Exile x2

[U]Land[/U]
Forest
Swamp
Plains
Gavony Township
Vault of the Archangel

Santiako

So, I haven't played in ~10 years and today I saw two prerelease packs (one from Dragons of Tarkir and one from Fate Reforged) in a store and they tempted me I bought them. I opened a foil Flooded Strand in one of them, so it went pretty well. I still know a money card when I see one :p

Other notable cards:

-Yasova Dragonclaw (prerelease foil)
-Warden of the First Tree
-Shaman of Forgotten Ways
-Haven of the Spirit Dragon
-Silumgar Assassin (prerelease foil)

hort

Neo Member
The two fat packs I opened last night were pretty meh overall.

Notable pulls were akoum firebird, prairie stream, and lumbering falls.

I did need the stream and the falls, so I got that going for me at least

Jhriad

I opened a foil Flooded Strand in one of them, so it went pretty well. I still know a money card when I see one :p

Other notable cards:

-Yasova Dragonclaw (prerelease foil)
-Warden of the First Tree
-Shaman of Forgotten Ways
-Haven of the Spirit Dragon
-Silumgar Assassin (prerelease foil)

Welcome back. :)

I'd take a foil Flooded Strand pull.

MjFrancis

Been brewing this morning. Here's a loose Modern sketch that's probably not good but might be casually fun.

Edit: new list below

The idea of the deck, if it's not obvious, is to exploit cheap creatures that provide value when dead. Wrath a board with a bunch of your dudes? Profit. Rally on their turn for 1 or 2, block a bunch of stuff, Viscera Seer the rest away? Profit. Get that Grim Haruspex or Ascendency out, too? That's just gravy.

This is by no means a tuned list. There's no mainboard targeted removal, which you probably need (especially with Twin always around). It's obviously weak to Rest in Peace so it would need enchantment hate in the board.

Edit:

I forgot about Blood Artist! Here's an updated list
Code:
[U]Creatures 22[/U]
Viscera Seer x4
Doomed Traveller x4
Young Wolf x3
Blisterpod x3
Voice of Resurgence x4
Blood Artist x2
Grim Haruspex x2

[U]Non creatures 16[/U]
Rally the Ancestors x4
Wrath of God x4
Day of Judgement x2
Abzan Ascendency x2
Dismember x2
Path to Exile x2

[U]Land[/U]
Forest
Swamp
Plains
Gavony Township
Vault of the Archangel
Have you checked out either of these aristocrat lists?

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=12364
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-karsten-modern-next-level-abzan/

I love aristocrat lists, my favorite of late was this Rally Vampires list from SaffronOlive:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-72-26-tix-modern-rally-vampires

I'd recommend a full playset of Blood Artists, especially after watching a Rally with three of them in one of the matches SaffronOlive has. Should be easy to cut down or remove the board wipes entirely to make room for them. One thing I've noticed about aristocrat lists is that you are already playing creatures that die to a stiff wind, with plenty of ways to sac them yourself so board wipes seem like they are a little overkill. Not to mention that you probably won't be winning through combat damage anyways unless you are swinging with Voice tokens, but with Blood Artist/sac/Rally combos.

The other consideration I'd make is switching Young Wolf out for a fourth Blisterpod and a couple Tukatongue Thallids - the Undying trigger is lost with Abzan Ascendancy.

OnPoint

Have you checked out either of these aristocrat lists?

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=12364
http://www.channelfireball.com/videos/channel-karsten-modern-next-level-abzan/

I love aristocrat lists, my favorite of late was this Rally Vampires list from SaffronOlive:

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-magic-72-26-tix-modern-rally-vampires

I'd recommend a full playset of Blood Artists, especially after watching a Rally with three of them in one of the matches SaffronOlive has. Should be easy to cut down or remove the board wipes entirely to make room for them. One thing I've noticed about aristocrat lists is that you are already playing creatures that die to a stiff wind, with plenty of ways to sac them yourself so board wipes seem like they are a little overkill. Not to mention that you probably won't be winning through combat damage anyways unless you are swinging with Voice tokens, but with Blood Artist/sac/Rally combos.

The other consideration I'd make is switching Young Wolf out for a fourth Blisterpod and a couple Tukatongue Thallids - the Undying trigger is lost with Abzan Ascendancy.

Thanks for those. I hadn't seen those lists. I was going for something else entirely, not really knowing these existed, then remembered Blood Artist and plugged it in, then I guess I just made a bad version of a deck that already exists haha

i might just build one of these and have a ball.

Wichu

Here are my pulls from five Fat Packs:

Blight Herder
Conduit of Ruin x2
Desolation Twin x2
Endless One
Emeria Shepherd
Hero of Goma Fada
Lantern Scout x2
Planar Outburst
Exert Influence
Guardian of Tazeem
Part the Waterveil
Scatter the Winds
Ugin's Insight
Defiant Bloodlord
Painful Truths
Wasteland Strangler
Akoum Hellkite
Barrage Tyrant
Zada, Hedron Grinder x2
From Beyond x2
Nissa's Renewal x2
Undergrowth Champion
Woodland Wanderer x3
Angelic Captain
Bring to Light
Dust Stalker
March from the Tomb
Noyan Dar, Roil Shaper x2
Veteran Warleader x2
Ally Encampment
Canopy Vista
Sanctum of Ugin
Shambling Vent x2
Shrine of the Forsaken Gods

Only two mythics and one battle-land (which I already had two of) in 45 packs. At least I have 400 full-art basics!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

Blight Herder
Conduit of Ruin x2
Desolation Twin x2
Endless One
Emeria Shepherd
Hero of Goma Fada
Lantern Scout x2
Planar Outburst
Exert Influence
Guardian of Tazeem
Part the Waterveil
Scatter the Winds
Ugin's Insight
Defiant Bloodlord
Painful Truths
Wasteland Strangler
Akoum Hellkite
Barrage Tyrant
Zada, Hedron Grinder x2
From Beyond x2
Nissa's Renewal x2
Undergrowth Champion
Woodland Wanderer x3
Angelic Captain
Bring to Light
Dust Stalker
March from the Tomb
Veteran Warleader x2
Ally Encampment
Canopy Vista
Sanctum of Ugin
Shambling Vent x2

Only two mythics and one battle-land (which I already had two of) in 45 packs. At least I have 400 full-art basics!

Ouch.

I actually like this new style of OT after having had it for a while. It got more people to come in and ask questions,etc.

When Gatewatch comes out is it going to be a new thread or an Addendum to this one? Will that depend on the rate we go through this one?

The original idea was to use the same thread for Oath and create a new one for "Tears", but given how quickly this thread grew, I suppose it could be open to debate. I'm for using the same thread, since it more strongly emphasizes that Oath is linked to Battle for Zendikar, much of the information in the OP that isn't set-agnostic would still be relevant, and it makes it easier to look back on reactions from the first set.

OnPoint

Blight Herder
Conduit of Ruin x2
Desolation Twin x2
Endless One
Emeria Shepherd
Hero of Goma Fada
Lantern Scout x2
Planar Outburst
Exert Influence
Guardian of Tazeem
Part the Waterveil
Scatter the Winds
Ugin's Insight
Defiant Bloodlord
Painful Truths
Wasteland Strangler
Akoum Hellkite
Barrage Tyrant
Zada, Hedron Grinder x2
From Beyond x2
Nissa's Renewal x2
Undergrowth Champion
Woodland Wanderer x3
Angelic Captain
Bring to Light
Dust Stalker
March from the Tomb
Veteran Warleader x2
Ally Encampment
Canopy Vista
Sanctum of Ugin
Shambling Vent x2

Fuck me, that's terrible. I felt bad about my one turd of a Fat Pack, I can't imagine how 5 must have felt :(

More unreasonable 4-color decks for Grimace's enjoyment:

Red/Green Ramp Blue-Eyes White Dragons

Creatures(24):
  • 4 Rattleclaw Mystic
  • 2 Whisperer of the Wilds
  • 4 Shaman of Forgotten Ways
  • 4 Thunderbreak Regent
  • 4 Dragonlord Ojutai
  • 3 Greenwarden of Murasa
  • 3 Dragonlord Atarka

Spells(9):
  • 4 Draconic Roar
  • 2 Crater's Claws
  • 3 See the Unwritten

Planeswalkers(2):
  • 2 Kiora, Master of the Depths

Lands(23):
  • 1 Haven of the Spirit Dragon
  • 1 Lumbering Falls
  • 2 Frontier Bivouac
  • 4 Windswept Heath
  • 2 Flooded Strand
  • 4 Wooded Foothills
  • 2 Cinder Glade
  • 1 Canopy Vista
  • 1 Prairie Stream
  • 2 Mountain
  • 1 Forest
  • 1 Island
  • 1 Plains

Sideboard
  • 2 Stubborn Denial
  • 2 Disdainful Stroke
  • 4 Savage Knuckleblade
  • 4 Wild Slash
  • 1 Reclaiming Vines
  • 1 Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger
  • 1 Ugin, the Spirit Dragon

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
4 Color Decks no longer unreasonable by Grimace's fiat

but running 23 lands in a 4 color deck is just silly, regardless of how many dorks you have.

Angry Grimace

Just drafted a ridiculous G/b pile. And then I failed to get any Eldrazi, Craterhoof or Progenitus to actually put onto the battlefield with Tooth and Nail/Natural Order.

I was so close.

Where did his four-color fetish originate

The nature of Battle Lands and Khans fetches makes getting 10-12 sources of a fourth color in a wedge deck pretty trivial. You basically turn a basic into an off-color Battle Land and boom. You're there. Depending on how flexible you want your fetches, you can also add one off-color basic. But it's a pretty minimal impact on the mana compared to the benefit of playing 4-8 cards in a 4th color in the 75.

That said, I love multicolor decks in general. The first real deck I ever built was Bant.

Wichu

Fuck me, that's terrible. I felt bad about my one turd of a Fat Pack, I can't imagine how 5 must have felt :(

Makes up for my Journey into Nyx and Fate Reforged Fat Packs, which had no right to be as good as they were:

Eidolon of the Great Revel
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
Foil Mana Confluence

and

Flooded Strand
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Foil Temporal Trespass

Plus my Khans box had two Polluted Deltas.

At least I got the BFZ Fat Packs cheap - £23 each including shipping, while they've been selling for £45 on Ebay recently. I could get almost all my money back just by selling the lands - too bad I want to play them in my decks :p

Angry Grimace

Makes up for my Journey into Nyx and Fate Reforged Fat Packs, which had no right to be as good as they were:

Eidolon of the Great Revel
Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
Foil Mana Confluence

and

Flooded Strand
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Foil Temporal Trespass

Plus my Khans box had two Polluted Deltas.

At least I got the BFZ Fat Packs cheap - £23 each including shipping, while they've been selling for £45 on Ebay recently. I could get almost all my money back just by selling the lands - too bad I want to play them in my decks :p

I think people are legitimately confused about how much these lands are going to be worth in like 3 weeks.

You get 3 of them just doing a draft. You'll end up with more of them than you know what to do with.

duxstar

Did any of you guys read Reid Dukes article on zendikar limited about 9 over rated cards? I have no problem with his pick order it's just some reason of the things he says.

Mainly he thinks Awaken is disappointing and that you only want 2 or 3 awaken spells in the deck because awaken isn't worth it.

He also thinks that this set is a 2 color set, and that there is no reason to go 3 colors because there is no fixing.

I disagree with both of these statements. Awaken cards are cards that you normally would play that also give you the benefit of getting a creature if your behind on board, or also gives you an extra blocker.

The second part I can kinda see his point on , but I've found the format to be really slow. Here's why

Your 3 power guys suck. Red has a 1/4 at common for God's sake , let's not include the 0/6 wall, all the big green creatures or the 0/5 uncommon in blue for 1u.

Which means the games go longer allowing you to draw your splash color.

I dunno he's the pro though so maybe he's right

Wichu

I think people are legitimately confused about how much these lands are going to be worth in like 3 weeks.

You get 3 of them just doing a draft. You'll end up with more of them than you know what to do with.

You might be overestimating how many packs a typical player opens. If you draft triple BFZ once a week until OGW's release, you'll have ~50 full-art basics after spending ~$200.

Sure, the price will drop in the short term, but once BFZ stops being opened they'll start to rise in price again. You got three full-arts when drafting ZEN, but that didn't stop them going up to $1 per copy. Now, I'm not saying that BFZ ones will reach the same price (the supply is much larger), but $0.50 in a few years is realistic IMO.

Battlelands appears to be sticking.

Thank god.

Huzzah. We picked the most boring name possible that doesn't actually describe what the lands do, but now everybody gets to be happy because the controversial name choice they didn't like didn't win out.

As much as I loved Tangolands, I actually liked GB's suggestion of Santalands best of all.

Angry Grimace

You might be overestimating how many packs a typical player opens. If you draft triple BFZ once a week until OGW's release, you'll have ~50 full-art basics after spending ~$200.

Sure, the price will drop in the short term, but once BFZ stops being opened they'll start to rise in price again. You got three full-arts when drafting ZEN, but that didn't stop them going up to $1 per copy. Now, I'm not saying that BFZ ones will reach the same price (the supply is much larger), but $0.50 in a few years is realistic IMO.

I can't fathom why anyone cares if they will go to 50 cents 5 years from now. The margins on that kind of investment is tiny.

Huzzah. We picked the most boring name possible that doesn't actually describe what the lands do, but now everybody gets to be happy because the controversial name choice they didn't like didn't win out.

As much as I loved Tangolands, I actually liked GB's suggestion of Santalands best of all.

I support Santa lands as well, because they help make BFZ Standard be Magical Christmas land mana base wise.

Angry Grimace

Lost a match I had no business losing due to mana screw. In a fucking monocolor deck. You know the game is telling you to fuck off when you draw Damnation against a tokens board and cannot draw a fourth land until your 12th drawn card.

And my opponent is like, "lol you have packrat!!1!" It's cube, and this is not all that broken unless my opponent is literally doing nothing.

Angry Grimace

Does anyone actually read the Pucatrade profiles of people who list their name as "John (PLEASE READ MY FUCKING PROFILE!)"

It took me clicking on a profile 2 or 3 times before I stopped bothering because it always has some super strict rules about "NM ONLY" which is completely redundant of Pucatrade's policy which only allows you to trade NM cards to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom