• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhriad

Battlelands appears to be sticking.

Thank god.

Easily the worst option. It implies something about the function of the cycle that isn't present. I actually had to explain to a friend why announcers were calling them that for the Open because he didn't make the connection. In his mind that would better fit the common cycle's red and white lands so he wasn't making the connection.

Haines

Banned
Why aren't they called tangolands?

That's what I've been calling it. Battlelamds eludes me.

Also sad to see this go to the community wasteland but I assume it's for the best.

Battlelands totally sounds like they'd give a combat effect like the spell lands at common. If they were mana fixing, I could see the following being a cycle of dual lands(at rare, probably):

Battlelands as an idea(RW as an example):
~ ETB Tapped.

When it comes into play, you may pay RW. If you do, target creature gets Double Strike until EoT.

Tap: Add R/W to your mana pool.

I could see a cycle of these working quite well:
UR-Prowess
WB-Lifelink
GB-Deathtouch
UG-Hexproof
RW-Doublestrike(or maybe first Strike)
WG-Vigilance
GR-Trample
RB-Menace
BU-(-2/-2)
UW-Flying

If you don't pay the fee they're alright fixing wise but if you do they act as a combat bonus.

Why aren't they called tangolands?

That's what I've been calling it. Battlelamds eludes me.

Also sad to see this go to the community wasteland but I assume it's for the best.

The argument against tangolands is that it's too "silly" and it can be hard for people who aren't native English speakers to understand.

Battleland comes from the name of the set, Battle for Zendikar.

I'm in the pro-tango camp.

hort

Neo Member
I'm in the Anything-but-tango-oh-god-why-do-people-like-this-name camp personally.

Battle lands don't convey what they do but from the amount of questions I saw about it, neither does Tango lands.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I was really sad when I heard writers and commentators call them battlelands. It was probably just a bunch of writers who thought it was dumb, when they realized that they get to decide, so they called it battlelands. They probably wanted to sound cool.

Battlelands appears to be sticking.

Thank god.

Huzzah. We picked the most boring name possible that doesn't actually describe what the lands do, but now everybody gets to be happy because the controversial name choice they didn't like didn't win out.

As much as I loved Tangolands, I actually liked GB's suggestion of Santalands best of all.
Battlelands is worse at describing them than Tangolands. It makes you think of manlands, because what would a battleland do? Battle something.

Tangolands still makes so much sense, it's sad there's a very vocal temper tantrum in the pro side. Battlelands... lmao.

in re: non-native english speakers having a problem -- the game is made by native english speakers. Deal with it.

OnPoint

Post a decklist I worked on? One response.

Post that I like a name? Dodging pitchforks.

Yall need to check your priorities lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You can keep calling them "tangolands" if that gets your rocks off, but it doesn't look like its sticking. None of the names other than fetchlands make any sense to anyone off the name alone.

It doesn't matter if "battlelands" don't perfectly describe them for you. The underlying joke with "tangolands" is completely unfunny and not clever.

You can keep calling them "tangolands" if that gets your rocks off, but it doesn't look like its sticking. None of the names other than fetchlands make any sense to anyone off the name alone.

It doesn't matter if "battlelands" don't perfectly describe them for you. The underlying joke with "tangolands" is completely unfunny and not clever.
"It takes two [basic lands] to tango" makes a thousand times fucking more sense than battleland.

Battleland = Shambling Vent = Mutavault = Lumbering Falls

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"It takes two [basic lands] to tango" makes a thousand times fucking more sense than battleland.

Battleland = Shambling Vent = Mutavault = Lumbering Falls

Who cares whether it makes sense once you are explained the awful joke

I'm just going with Battlelands because SCG used the term and that's the only coverage of the format so far.

They named Jeskai Black so they get a pass on the lands from me.

Angry Grimace

I thought someone didn't like the name manland and was trying to pull a camp-anti-tangoland. When you first hear Battleland you think of the manlands.

And when you first hear the name shockland you have no fucking idea what that means; and yes, I'm calling bullshit on anyone who claims they knew right away it was a reference to Shock, the same way I'm calling bullshit on anyone who claims they would know what "tangoland" means without it being explained.

It doesn't make any difference whether it means anything at all as long as they all have the same name. The distinguishable bit is that "tangoland" relies on an unfunny joke.

hort

Neo Member
So, uh, not to distract from the cage match of names, but MaRo said something interesting to me at least on Blogatog regarding Gatewalkers:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/130507915213/you-just-mentioned-there-are-only-two-planeswalker

Could we not be getting Chandra and Jace in Gatewatch? His comment seems to imply that could be a possibility, though I have no idea who they have #5 then.

I bet its Nissa and Chandra, since it seems like its a big deal that Chandra came to help.

Angry Grimace

Jace not having a card is about as non-sensical as it gets, although I wouldn't be surprised if Jace is in the next block also along with Liliana.

Kerrinck

You guys think expeditions will drop any more?
My buddy is offering me his expedition bloodstained mire for my playset of polluted deltas and I'm pondering whether that's a good deal or not.

Angry Grimace

You guys think expeditions will drop any more?
My buddy is offering me his expedition bloodstained mire for my playset of polluted deltas and I'm pondering whether that's a good deal or not.

They won't bottom out for a month or two.

Fetchlands will be on an upwards trajectory and Expeditions on a downwards one, I think.

What if instead of Jace, Chandra, or Liliana, we get a surprise

301faa8914b9e956ad312189d75c5929-d7e32ls.jpg

"I heard there's something here even stronger than a planeswalker."

And then he finds Lili.

I can dream.

Angry Grimace

Shouldn't Jace be U/W by now given that he's basically a bureaucrat?

So, uh, not to distract from the cage match of names, but MaRo said something interesting to me at least on Blogatog regarding Gatewalkers:

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/130507915213/you-just-mentioned-there-are-only-two-planeswalker

Could we not be getting Chandra and Jace in Gatewatch? His comment seems to imply that could be a possibility, though I have no idea who they have #5 then.
* Nissa is the face of the set, so she's surely getting a new card in Oath.
* Jace's presence has already been well established in the block by cards at common and uncommon in Battle for Zendikar, and he has the most popular Origins planeswalker card, so there would be less to lose in terms of communicating the story by leaving him out.
* Chandra is apparently going to play a "Han Solo at the Death Star" role by appearing suddenly to rescue everyone, and she hasn't even been referenced in Battle for Zendikar, so more will be needed to communicate that she's part of the story now. Giving her a high profile card, such as a planeswalker card (whose art appears on booster packs), would be the best way to do this.

So Jace will probably be left out.

Jhriad

Just because you want it to represent the mechanic, that doesn't mean 'Battleland' doesn't make sense.

And it's actively confusing to anyone looking at the lands. *shrug* I'll continue calling them Tangolands.

The distinguishable bit is that "tangoland" relies on an unfunny joke.

I don't understand why you think it's a joke. It's an idiom that's been common in American speech for decades to explain a simple concept and this is simply repurposing the general awareness of the phrase to a situation that's well suited to the shorthand. Some of the other names like Laglands or whatever would have been preferable to Battlelands simply to avoid the mechanical confusion.

Oh wait is that it? I swear I'm not joking I didn't make that connection.

You're like the fourth person I've seen so far that didn't make the connection. It's a common point of confusion and why the name is fucking awful. Especially as we move farther away from BFZ and the awareness of the set name fades.

Nah, I wasn't playing back then. Your examples make sense, but I still think it's strange to see a mono-white merfolk.

Been brewing this morning. Here's a loose Modern sketch that's probably not good but might be casually fun.

Edit: new list below

The idea of the deck, if it's not obvious, is to exploit cheap creatures that provide value when dead. Wrath a board with a bunch of your dudes? Profit. Rally on their turn for 1 or 2, block a bunch of stuff, Viscera Seer the rest away? Profit. Get that Grim Haruspex or Ascendency out, too? That's just gravy.

This is by no means a tuned list. There's no mainboard targeted removal, which you probably need (especially with Twin always around). It's obviously weak to Rest in Peace so it would need enchantment hate in the board.

Edit:

I forgot about Blood Artist! Here's an updated list
Code:
[U]Creatures 22[/U]
Viscera Seer x4
Doomed Traveller x4
Young Wolf x3
Blisterpod x3
Voice of Resurgence x4
Blood Artist x2
Grim Haruspex x2

[U]Non creatures 16[/U]
Rally the Ancestors x4
Wrath of God x4
Day of Judgement x2
Abzan Ascendency x2
Dismember x2
Path to Exile x2

[U]Land[/U]
Forest
Swamp
Plains
Gavony Township
Vault of the Archangel

Check out the list I just left God's Beard a few posts above yours.

At my LGS tangolands have caught on, thank god. As more and more rare land cycles get printed, it will really help keeping track of them if the name is actually descriptive of what they do. The only other option I'll accept is the Discount Double Check Lands. :p

Yeef

At my LGS tangolands have caught on, thank god. As more and more rare land cycles get printed, it will really help keeping track of them if the name is actually descriptive of what they do. The only other option I'll accept is the Discount Double Check Lands. :p
Most people at my store just call them "the new duals," but a handful call them tango lands.

The real issue is that any name that sticks needs to convey the mechanics of the cards, which is why "battle lands" is a terrible name.

Angry Grimace

Call them whatever you want, everyone knows what you're talking about. This debate is approaching Deflategate levels of tiresome.

I just think its funny how much people really really REALLY want Tangolands to be the name

Most people at my store just call them "the new duals," but a handful call them tango lands.

The real issue is that any name that sticks needs to convey the mechanics of the cards, which is why "battle lands" is a terrible name.
like ABU dual lands right

Yeef

like ABU dual lands right
I've never heard anyone actually call them ABU duals except for in print. More importantly; the original duals don't have an associated mechanic. They're just lands with 2 basic land types. Every popular land cycle with a mechanic has a name that explains what that mechanic is. Shock lands shock you, filter lands filter your colors, tri lands produce 3 different colors, fetch lands fetch lands, etc.

I only every really stuck with Tangolands because of the visceral man-baby reactions it got from people. I'm not a fan of "battlelands" either, and if that's what we're using going forward I'm just calling them "battletoads" instead. I'll consider it a compromise between the creative and the spikey sides of magic.

This match would have been over sooner but I -6'd Ugin to kill that Obelisk and remembered why that was a stupid idea about .04 nanoseconds after I passed priority. I'm really just posting this because no one has ever let me play to completion after 3 planeswalkers hit the table before.

So, new Standard, guys. How we thinking the meta is looking after the SCG results?

Who knows. Fast, streamlined decks rolled over all the experimental 4c+ jank running clunky mana bases. Once people tweak and make the mana work, it's going to look a lot different. Milwaukee is where the tone will really be set.

Haines

Banned
Why on earth would you nickname a card typeafter the set name. That is simply...wow.

I thought tango was incredibly straightforward.

Battlelands. That's what I would call an awakened land at best.

cory64

Tangoland sounds lame but it's unlikely to be confusing once you know the mechanic. Battleland has a "which one is that again?" factor to it.

So, new Standard, guys. How we thinking the meta is looking after the SCG results?

4 Colour decks remain strong, but the big thing I'm noticing is that Aggro is in a fantastic spot. Yes, the 4 color decks have incredible reach but they all folded to Aggro/faster decks due to a lack of an early game. Even if you get a blocker out turn 3 on the play, Aggro can(and may have) swung for 4+ at this point.

Abzan(the deck, not cards) was surprisingly low in the top 8 IIRC, which I think stems from the issue of it's Mana base being wonky. Granted, it's the first week and we haven't seen anything beyond 1 tournament, but it's worth note.

The Megamorph Deck was surprisingly good and resillent, but I'm wondering the advantage of sticking to GW over Bant or Naya.

Tangolands still makes so much sense, it's sad there's a very vocal temper tantrum in the pro side.

These are the same people who share dumb buzzfeed articles about how selfie sticks are bad and teens should stop saying 'lit' and 'bae' because other people having fun makes their tits hurt.

Nobody calls Underground River an ice land!

Nobody calls literally any dual land set ever by the set they were in except very occasionally "Scars lands" and now this one b/c The Fun Police.

So, uh, not to distract from the cage match of names, but MaRo said something interesting to me at least on Blogatog regarding Gatewalkers

The fact that they made a big huge deal of showing off key art of four planeswalkers in the Oath marketing materials, of whom exactly three are in the block, is about on par with what a hot mess this block (and this "story!!!!" initiative) has been so far.

In fact, Rosewater is the person who has made such a huge deal about the Rule of Three (in the olden days, if it's in two sets, it needs to be in the third) and the Rule of Five (if it's in four colors, it needs to be in the fifth) and BFZ pretty flagrantly (and, again, pointlessly) violates the second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom