• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Battle for Zendikar |OT| Lands matter (but nothing else does)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

I mean, the fact they released this art a while back pretty much confirmed a Nissa Planeswalker in the BFZ block to begin with, if you ask me.

dZPGaDO.jpg

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think outside of fetchlands, shocklands, filterlands and manlands any of the dual cycles (of which there are what, 20?) have an agreed-upon name at all. There are multiple cycles of "fastlands," "slowlands," "laglands," "refuges," etc.

If I had to actually guess the names that will stick are "Prairie Stream," "Cinder Glade," "Sunken Hollow," "Canopy Vista," and "Smoldering Marsh." When they get around to the rest of the cycle, people will likely just say "hey they are finishing the Battle for Zendikar dual cycle."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nissa not being in BFZ makes sense storywise anyways - she doesn't have any powers as the block starts (of course neither does Nixilis, but whose counting that?)

Angry Grimace

Playing Demonic Pact on MTGO can be nerve-wracking because the stupid client doesn't keep track of which modes you've already selected. This normally isn't an issue but if you have multiple Pacts on the board it's nearly impossible to tell which one is going to kill you next turn and which one is fresh. I've lost at least one game because I just assumed the leftmost Pact was the oldest one. Apparently the placement doesn't follow any rhyme or reason, it just plops shit down randomly.

so mark rosewater saying emrakul is everyone's favorite eldrazi according to market research on tumblr is a hint right

It's guaranteed that Kozilek and Emrakul will be showing up in later sets.

Angry Grimace

Playing Demonic Pact on MTGO can be nerve-wracking because the stupid client doesn't keep track of which modes you've already selected. This normally isn't an issue but if you have multiple Pacts on the board it's nearly impossible to tell which one is going to kill you next turn and which one is fresh. I've lost at least one game because I just assumed the leftmost Pact was the oldest one. Apparently the placement doesn't follow any rhyme or reason, it just plops shit down randomly.

When the upkeep effect pops up at the beginning of your turn you just mouseover it and it will tell you the source of the effect

OnPoint

Don't be so quick to judge. They'll probably kill Kozilek off-screen or some dumb bullshit to introduce some new mysterious planeswalker.

I can see it now...

"What do you mean you killed Kozilek," asked Jace. "These aren't normal beings."

"I guess I wouldn't say I killed him," replied Keraz Lar. "I guess it's more that I permanently relocated him. He won't be an issue any longer."

Jace studied Keraz's face and found no trace of dishonesty. He could look into his mind and confirm it, but he decided to trust this new and obviously powerful new ally, oh, and that's against Jace's moral code for some reason, you know, at least until the plot can't progress without it. Man, it must be hard being Jace. He can read minds but can't remember where he left his fedora.

Ugh.

When the upkeep effect pops up at the beginning of your turn you just mouseover it and it will tell you the source of the effect

That's how I keep track but it's dumb that that's the only way and makes playing with the card a lot more annoying than it should be. The game keeps track of other cards with multiple modes (like the Sieges, for instance), I'm not sure why they couldn't with this one.

Don't be so quick to judge. They'll probably kill Kozilek off-screen or some dumb bullshit to introduce some new mysterious planeswalker.

There are a lot of problems with WotC's storytelling but being a character-oriented marketing tool guarantees this is never one of them.

My gut feeling is that the right move is cutting all of the Thunderbreak and all of the Draconic Roar and going with 4 Gideon, but I don't actually have 4 Gideon, so there's that.

Honestly, I don't really think either is necessary. I've been looking at the reports from one of the people that made top 8 at the Open along with some other advice and I think I'm gonna test this version for a bit:

draft2scr31.png

If nothing else, Outcast is the real deal combined with the commands and you definitely want 4 Jace.

Angry Grimace

So far I have not much cared for 4 Jace because I draw multiples of them or topdeck them late when I already have a Telepath Unbound or something and it gets kinda awkward. I don't know, I just don't find him THAT powerful *shrug*

I wonder how many people at FNM just have 2 Jaces and put 4 checklist cards in the deck >_>

Yeef

So far I have not much cared for 4 Jace because I draw multiples of them or topdeck them late when I already have a Telepath Unbound or something and it gets kinda awkward. I don't know, I just don't find him THAT powerful *shrug*

I wonder how many people at FNM just have 2 Jaces and put 4 checklist cards in the deck >_>
That's actually against the rules for sanctioned tournaments.

Alright, time for a crap deck I just whipped up while coding:

Code:
NAYA TOKENS
2x Battlefield Forge
4x Canopy Vista
4x Cinder Glade
4x Defiant Strike
2x Descent of the Dragons
4x Dragon Fodder
1x Forest
4x Hordeling Outburst
3x Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4x Might of the Masses
3x Monastery Swiftspear
3x Mountain
3x Plains
3x Secure the Wastes
4x Titan's Strength
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Zada, Hedron Grinder

kirblar

People have been DQ'd at SCG opens for doing that.

Angry Grimace

That's actually against the rules for sanctioned tournaments.

I'm sure it is extremely against the rules, but I wonder how many people just do it given the 75 dollar 4-of flipwalker and the low probability in a random FNM anyone would find out. I've never been tempted to ask anyone.

Son1x

I don't think outside of fetchlands, shocklands, filterlands and manlands any of the dual cycles (of which there are what, 20?) have an agreed-upon name at all. There are multiple cycles of "fastlands," "slowlands," "laglands," "refuges," etc.

If I had to actually guess the names that will stick are "Prairie Stream," "Cinder Glade," "Sunken Hollow," "Canopy Vista," and "Smoldering Marsh." When they get around to the rest of the cycle, people will likely just say "hey they are finishing the Battle for Zendikar dual cycle."
Aren't checklands, painlands, fastlands, taintedlands and scrylands pretty universal? Fastlands are also known as scar lands but I've never heard anyone call any other duals as fast lands. Most others are just regular tapped duals.

Edit: personally, I find both names; tangolands and battle lands terrible. They are almost the opposite of fastlands, so late/lag/slow lands could work imo.

Every time I look up an uncommon and it costs upwards of €5 I hate Magic a little bit more. I get why they cost so much but it's a pain in the ass when I just wanna built a kitchen table deck to its full potential.

Anyways guess I'll just have my friend who handles our collection put 4 kitchen finks into the want list and wait for him to trade 4 of them to start on my Jund Pod deck. I mean it's my own fault, I should start selling my pulls while they still have value. I held onto my bonfire :(.

Baby Jace down to ~€45 again in Europe, close to wanting to bite.

Something I hadn't considered about the tangolands until I started really paying attention to how the decks play out: combines with fetches, they create one of the most complex manabases we've seen in Standard in a very, very long time. Managing your mana is a real skill now; I'd wager to say it's vastly more complicated to fetch tangos than it is to fetch shocks.

bigkrev

Something I hadn't considered about the tangolands until I started really paying attention to how the decks play out: combines with fetches, they create one of the most complex manabases we've seen in Standard in a very, very long time. Managing your mana is a real skill now; I'd wager to say it's vastly more complicated to fetch tangos than it is to fetch shocks.

Yeah, it's pretty crazy. Frank Karsten wrote a whole article about it today.

Bandini

Finally pulled the trigger on some card purchases last night, hello Modern deck with no proxies! Been a fan of UW control for a long time, and I really like this deck list:
http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=10539&d=260313&f=MO

Only cost me about $60 to get what I didn't have already. Gonna work on getting 4 Celestial Colonnades so I can switch up the decklist to go more instant and sorcery heavy when I feel like it since I already have Snapcasters and Cryptics.

Next I might finish up burn, but I need playsets of Atarka's Command, Goblin Guide, 3 Eidolons, and 3 or 4 fetch lands (reprint Arid Mesa already, Wizards), so that may have to wait a bit longer. Either way, I'm excited, my LGS started a weekly Modern event and people are apparently actually showing up.

hort

Neo Member
Went 3-1 in standard last night with a midrangey RUGw deck. I got to try out some of the one-ofs I have of some of the new stuff and see what I want to keep or get rid of.

I think I'll keep Kiora, but maybe just as a one-of. I used her +1 all night, but never used her -2. I did use her ultimate once to instantly end a game.

Greenwarden of murasa will probably stay and may get more thrown in.

Woodland wanderer seemed good, came out as 5/5 or 6/6 everytime, but always got exiled by something before I could attack with him.

Undergrowth champion may get cut. Not sure yet, but he didn't seem to do much when I got to cast him. I want to try him out some more.

scatter the winds seems good. Didn't get to cast for the awaken cost, but I still don't mind a 1UU counterspell.

I threw 3 mantis riders in the deck with the addition of white in the mana base. 3 riders and 3 knuckleblades seemed to perform pretty well.

Might get a couple ojutai command's and throw in the dragonmaster outcasts I have to try that out.

OnPoint

Alright, time for a crap deck I just whipped up while coding:

Code:
NAYA TOKENS
2x Battlefield Forge
4x Canopy Vista
4x Cinder Glade
4x Defiant Strike
2x Descent of the Dragons
4x Dragon Fodder
1x Forest
4x Hordeling Outburst
3x Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4x Might of the Masses
3x Monastery Swiftspear
3x Mountain
3x Plains
3x Secure the Wastes
4x Titan's Strength
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Zada, Hedron Grinder

I wanna play this haha

Joe Molotov

I'm sure it is extremely against the rules, but I wonder how many people just do it given the 75 dollar 4-of flipwalker and the low probability in a random FNM anyone would find out. I've never been tempted to ask anyone.

I'm gonna start sideboarding Infinite Obliteration against Jace, just so I can see if they're running four checklist cards, and if so, then demand to see all four Jaces.

Matriox

May there never be four colour commanders.

4 color commanders can be interesting if they use 2 colors in the casting cost, and 2 different colors in the cards ability. I came up with a random example a while ago that would be interesting and not super weird to the color pie.

Naturalize Mage Guy RU
Flash Haste
WG tap: Destroy Target Artifact or Enchantment
2/2

Obviously not a very exciting example, but it's a 4 color commander, instant speed, playable on turn 2 or turn 4 for an effect.

tch

I have a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy lying around. Should I sell it now or could it possibly climb even higher?

Socat

I have a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy lying around. Should I sell it now or could it possibly climb even higher?

Doubt that he climbs much higher, but that is pure speculation, he was at 75 at one point last week and dropped to 70 the last time I check it, so I think it's peaking now

edit: still haven't heard back from WOTC about my damaged expedition card getting replaced. Wonder if it's worth waiting it out or just trying to trade now

Bandini

Doubt that he climbs much higher, but that is pure speculation, he was at 75 at one point last week and dropped to 70 the last time I check it, so I think it's peaking now

edit: still haven't heard back from WOTC about my damaged expedition card getting replaced. Wonder if it's worth waiting it out or just trying to trade now

I haven't heard back about mine either, been 2 days. They must be real busy with requests. Might just try to sell it as is if I don't get a response soon...

y2dvd

Played in my first competitive EDH game last night and combo'd everyone out haha. We have a rule of no combos until turn 10. Tonight was a 5-man pod. What's the best way to go about winning if no combo though? Like at first I was being ruthless and just going after one guy. Then I started feeling guilty and spread the dmg around. I think imma go back to bring ruthless and taking one opponent out at a time, even if it means knocking someone out super early for the night. ^_^'

Firemind

Because it'd be a mess. What would tie them all together? It's already difficult enough to design three colour cards. Four colour commander decks would be the proverbial jumped the shark moment.

4 color commanders can be interesting if they use 2 colors in the casting cost, and 2 different colors in the cards ability. I came up with a random example a while ago that would be interesting and not super weird to the color pie.

Naturalize Mage Guy RU
Flash Haste
WG tap: Destroy Target Artifact or Enchantment
2/2

Obviously not a very exciting example, but it's a 4 color commander, instant speed, playable on turn 2 or turn 4 for an effect.
That'd be a lame way to do it. I'm already slightly annoyed the FRF legends are being used as three colour commanders. No matter what you tell me, Tasigur is a predominantly black creature, Alesha is red, Yasova is green, Shu is blue and Daghatar is white. I like their designs mind. They're effective in bringing less restrictive mana costs to the table with cool abilities, but not only Sultai decks will play Tasigur. He's also played in straight U/B, Grixis, whathaveyou. For that reason they're not flavourful enough and EDH is all about flavour.

OnPoint

That'd be a lame way to do it. I'm already slightly annoyed the FRF legends are being used as three colour commanders. No matter what you tell me, Tasigur is a predominantly black creature, Alesha is red, Yasova is green, Shu is blue and Daghatar is white. I like their designs mind. They're effective in bringing less restrictive mana costs to the table with cool abilities, but not only Sultai decks will play Tasigur. He's also played in straight U/B, Grixis, whathaveyou. For that reason they're not flavourful enough and EDH is all about flavour.

I agree with you entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom