• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

coopolon

razgriz417 said:

Interesting but I don't really understand. If you buy the planeswalkers pack on mtgo for $10, you get all the decks in the base dotp, and can freely customize between them as well? And then same expansions are available there as well for the same prices.

That does sound pretty cool.

coopolon said:
Interesting but I don't really understand. If you buy the planeswalkers pack on mtgo for $10, you get all the decks in the base dotp, and can freely customize between them as well? And then same expansions are available there as well for the same prices.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921140

I reread the thread and it seemed like people were saying yes you do get everything from DOTP but you end up playing everyone else in MGO, which usually mean u get your butt handed to you by people who spend more on cards. MGO is probably the next step for people who want to customize decks

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Xater said:
Didn't even know that there is a new one coming. I played the old one today because of free PS+ and it is fun. For 10 bucks i might get this.

Just a note that with PS+ this game is also 20% off.

And yes, it will be out on PSN tomorrow. I dunno why people get so hung up on release dates. They're always like this. Tuesday/Wednesday depending on platform.

Minsc

Gold Member
coopolon said:

If you want to do MTGO online for cheap (almost free), just do the pauper mode, which is full deck building restricted to common cards. You still get to think of clever ideas for decks (or copy ones you find online), but you don't have to fork over the big bucks to get all the rarer cards needed for normal decks.

When they say MTGO is not as pretty as DotP, they aren't joking either, it's clunky as hell.

Would have been great to see a modern take from DotP on how flashy a more open deck building experience could have looked, oh well.

sonicmj1

Though I haven't thought about it in ages, I had a lot of fun with Duels of the Planeswalkers on XBLA when it came out. I even got myself a Shards of Alara box in the first GAF tournament that was held.

I have a MTGO account, but I never use it, because it's expensive. I really like doing cube drafts with friends, but this might be a good way to get my fix until I decide to start playing pauper or something. I'll probably get it for PC this time around though.

Castor Krieg said:
Is this confirmed? Might be the day I finally activate my free 30 days :)

Yup its confirmed

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...a-nhl-arcade-discount-streets-of-rage-2-free/

PlayStation Plus Highlights for 6/14:
Full Game Trial
Midnight Club Los Angeles: Complete Edition
Featured Games & DLC
Streets of Rage 2 (Free and exclusive to PlayStation Plus subscribers)
Discounted Games
Braid (PlayStation Plus price $2.50, regular price $9.99)
Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 – 20% Discount (PlayStation Plus price $7.99, regular price $9.99)
MicroBot (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, regular price $9.99)
Spare Parts (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, regular price $9.99)
The Fancy Pants Adventures (PlayStation Plus price $5.00, regular price $9.99)
Interpol: The Trail Of Dr. Chaos – End Sale – (PlayStation Plus price $7.99, regular price $9.99)
Cuboid (PlayStation Plus price $7.99, regular price $9.99)
Smash Cars (PlayStation Plus price $11.99, regular price $14.99)
Magic Orbz (PlayStation Plus price $3.99, regular price $4.99)

Babalu.

Yes! I can't wait for this game. I loved the first one having not played magic for at least 8 years.

360 version for me on DAY 1. 800 points is fair as well.

And i can't wait for MTGO to revamp the game with these style graphics and notes. Then I might have to get into that.

marrec

Banned
WanderingWind said:
That is the beauty of MTG. There is no "best deck."

....well, except a Jace mill deck in standard. But since DotP uses older cards, there are plenty of solutions for his annoying ass in Legacy.
Right, like 'Terror'. Man I hate how creature dependent standard is these days.

samoset

DasRaven said:
Oh, and don't forget "Enjoy being smashed to bits by people who've been building collections & playing it for almost a decade!"
Which is why if you don't want that play Planeswalkers. I don't really see what the problem is here, they have two products that cater to two different audiences. And it's not really fair to say that a new MTGO player will be crushed because other players have a bigger collection since games have very specific terms on which sets can be used. If you know what you're doing you can build a specific deck for what you want to play for about $50 or play pauper for much cheaper.

coopolon

Now I'm craving some Magic and am redownloading DotP. I actually never got very far into the single player expansions.

I do hope with 2012 they add in the 360 button prompts. I still get confused about which button is which #.

ElyrionX

Bought the first one on XBLA and I'm leaning towards the PC version for this. However, I heard there would be a bonus for those who have purchased the previous version and looks like the only way for me to access this would be to purchase the XBLA so I'm just waiting to see what it is before buying

Minsc

Gold Member
marrec said:
Right, like 'Terror'. Man I hate how creature dependent standard is these days.

I remember when Terror was a pretty useful card, now it's way too basic to be any good, there's a ton of better versions of it.

coopolon

ElyrionX said:
Bought the first one on XBLA and I'm leaning towards the PC version for this. However, I heard there would be a bonus for those who have purchased the previous version and looks like the only way for me to access this would be to purchase the XBLA so I'm just waiting to see what it is before buying

Hmm, do you recall where you heard this? I haven't been able to find anything on google.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
coopolon said:
Hmm, do you recall where you heard this? I haven't been able to find anything on google.

It's been posted all over the official forums but I've not seen an official source. I haven't looked though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No demo on Steam. And the Steam DotP 2010 demo has been buried behind a bunch of bullshit. :/ Clicking on it in search resets the store, and I had to wade through a bunch of shit to put it on my download list. :|

I seriously hope Steam doesn't pull 2010 as I like playing it and would triple dip just to have a more reliable platform to play it on. (360? Bought, Died. PS3, bought, died. PC??????)

It's too bad it's a damn hassle to put $10 (er-$20 for the expansions + 2010 base game) on a credit card for Steam when I could just give a store a $20 for a PSN/MS point card. :|

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
marrec said:
Wrath of God? What's the text on Jace?

Either way that why I love DotP. A good mix of old and new cards.

Jace isn't a creature. Planeswalkers aren't affected by things that target creatures. So, Wrath of God wouldn't work, either.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
are planeswalkers in this version? i read something about loyalty counters and my eyes glazed over... i need a magic refresher course.

Sober

webrunner said:
Wait, they made another game about planeswalkers and still didn't include the planeswalker cards? That's kind of surprising.
The game is sorta more 'arcade', and the Planeswalkers rules, while not overly complicated, isn't exactly conducive to what I think DOTP is trying to accomplish.

coopolon said:

If I wanted to play actual Magic, I would play it offline, and since I don't want to spend a bunch of money either way building decks to play on MTGO plus I don't really have a group of friends to play with anymore.

oktarb

Are they going to fix the load times? They were insanely common place and long in the original. Game breaking imo.

I haven't played Magic since my freshman year of high school (10 years now, or somewhere thereabouts). I'm tempted to get this just to dick around with it, see where the game is at nowadays. And while the idea that all the decks are prebuilt is interesting, I feel like I'd get annoyed with not being able to choose my own cards after a while.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Incendiary said:
I haven't played Magic since my freshman year of high school (10 years now, or somewhere thereabouts). I'm tempted to get this just to dick around with it, see where the game is at nowadays. And while the idea that all the decks are prebuilt is interesting, I feel like I'd get annoyed with not being able to choose my own cards after a while.
Looks like you can replace cards with unlocks this time around. Makes me wonder if they're gonna try to sell booster packs as DLC.

tebunker

Banned
razgriz417 said:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1921140

I reread the thread and it seemed like people were saying yes you do get everything from DOTP but you end up playing everyone else in MGO, which usually mean u get your butt handed to you by people who spend more on cards. MGO is probably the next step for people who want to customize decks

Actually you are kinda right and kinda wrong. When you play DoTP on MTGO you can only use the DoTP cards. They are gold bordered and separate from the regular games. You play in a different game room as well. Since you can only use the DoTP cards in that format everyone has the same card pool to work from.

It's a fun and affordable way to get all the DoTP cards and be able to mix and match cards. Most of the hardcore MTGO players hate/ignore Duels so you will rarely run into a spot where someone is leagues better than the average player.

MTGO also allows you the flexibility to enter in to the main game cheaper than paper, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you intend on trying to play competitively online or at your local game store.

Eric WK

ElyrionX said:

If it's anything like the previous game, cheating can be a problem on PC. That's the only reason I'm buying on 360 instead.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
The_Technomancer said:
Pretty sure the OP does, right under the Steam pre-order bonuses.

My bad. I think it'd be cool to show pictures of the free cards though.

Inferno_Titan.jpg

HOW MANY TROPHIES?

I love the first one and was super bummed the co-op was single player only. Sadly, my bluray controller did not work as a second player because the d-pad only responds as the camera. FIX THAT SHIT!

Gamer @ Heart said:
HOW MANY TROPHIES?

I love the first one and was super bummed the co-op was single player only. Sadly, my bluray controller did not work as a second player because the d-pad only responds as the camera. FIX THAT SHIT!
If achievements are anything to go by, there are 12 of them:
Gather Your Allies 15
Hosted an Archenemy match on Xbox LIVE with two human teammates
Metalcraft 10
Controlled three artifacts in a game
Mythic 10
Cast a Mythic rare spell in a game
Strength of Stone 10
Defeated Koth in the Single-Player Campaign
Magic: The Puzzling 10
Solved a Challenge
You'll Never Get Away With It 20
Defeated an Archenemy in a game
Final Exam 30
Defeated Karn in a campaign game
Puzzling Master 10
Solved Fifteen Challenges
Evil's End 25
Completed the Archenemy campaign
Ancient Depths 15
Defeated Kiora in the Single-Player Campaign
Unquenchable Fire 20
Defeated Chandra in the Single-Player Campaign
Wielding Steel 25
Defeated Gideon in the Single-Player Campaign

My favorite thing in that list is the number of challenges. I love these.

An-Det

I loved the first game, owned it on the 360 and Steam. Great game for what it is, and I've got this preordered on Steam. Once I play through the single player stuff, I'm totally down for some games with MTG-Gaf.

Eggo said:
Also, I'm excited to see Mox Sapphire in the game, although it's a cpu-only card so far.

Sapphire is in the game? I think I'd shit a brick the first time that is played against me, considering the normal speed in the first DotP.

Sober

Oh sweet, Frost Titan is for Steam?

I always loved playing blue, thank god.
Surprised the 360 didn't get the Inferno Titan instead BAD MTG COLOUR JOKE SPOTTED

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
800 MSP? I'm tempted. May also bite on Steam, but the game didn't really run very well last time.

Minsc

Gold Member
Lyphen said:
800 MSP? I'm tempted. May also bite on Steam, but the game didn't really run very well last time.

They fixed that in a patch, at first it needed like 3+ cores to run right (carried over from 360 code), and later they really improved the CPU usage ~tenfold.

I'm going Steam cause I prefer owning stuff on the PC, and enjoyed the mouse, though I may give the gamepad a shot this time around, it didn't even occur to me that I could use it before.

The single player's final boss is Karn, who's deck is ridiculously overpowered. Karn went first, played an Island, then a Mox Sapphire. Mox Sapphire! After recovering from my excitement of seeing this Vintage staple with new art and updated text (or rather no text) I finally clicked "continue" and Karn passed the turn to me. "Well ok, that's not that bad" I thought to myself. After drawing for my first turn and played a Plains, and then an Elite Vanguard. On Karn's second turn he played Tinker sacrificing Mox Sapphire, and finds a Darksteel Colossus.

(from here : http://www.examiner.com/magic-the-g...the-gathering-duels-of-the-planeswalkers-2012 )

A pro play in Vintage circa 2008, pretty awesome.

They definitely upped the ante on the power level of the cards. That was a good thing, playing out some of the DOTP decks was miserable.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Can't wait to hear the people crying about Turn 2 Darksteel Colossus. The bitter tears will be joyous. Really looking forward to this game. I think the PSN version releases a day early. Will probably pick up that and the Xbox version.

I was hoping for more deck customization options.

Like buying a box of old commons/uncommons and maybe a few fun rare cards off of ebay (which is what I did last time I felt like playing).

Still, my buddies and I are too busy to get together much and play (too much work, kids, etc)...and when we did about once a month or so (mainly when most everyone was unemployed), we did played D&D instead.

I don't know if I'll pick this up or not. Maybe when it gets cheaper. I got a little bored of playing the stock decks on the last one.

There's a lot of us that gave up playing Magic years ago but would love a fairly basic set that you could customize and run however you want. There's no way I'm spending $3/$4 a pop for booster packs and stuff for virtual cards to play online. I've got other stuff to do with my money these days. There's money to be made from those of us that gave it up years ago but would like to play a little basic MtG...but without deck building it gets pretty boring. I think there's a happy medium in there somewhere...but they seem to scared of losing some of their MTG online people, I guess.

tebunker said:
Actually you are kinda right and kinda wrong. When you play DoTP on MTGO you can only use the DoTP cards. They are gold bordered and separate from the regular games. You play in a different game room as well. Since you can only use the DoTP cards in that format everyone has the same card pool to work from.

It's a fun and affordable way to get all the DoTP cards and be able to mix and match cards. Most of the hardcore MTGO players hate/ignore Duels so you will rarely run into a spot where someone is leagues better than the average player.

MTGO also allows you the flexibility to enter in to the main game cheaper than paper, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you intend on trying to play competitively online or at your local game store.

I'm not sure how MTGO works. You play online and can customize decks it seems, but do you have to buy cards just like you would a regular deck?

Top Bottom