• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

Grecco

DasRaven said:
Yes, very creative I'd say since once I solved the challenges I never went back to that mode again. Now, its a nice diversion from the main campaign, so I'll probably redo some from time to time.

Faster play, better cards, reasonable sideboarding, Archenemy, better interface. I played through MTG09 on both PS3 & 360 and this is much better overall.

I prefer the old way :(

An-Det

It unlocks in 2 hours for me on Steam. Going to play it while I sleeve up Painter Stone combo for legacy tonight. Lots of Magic today.

Daigoro

wow i love the new interface and the way the campaign is set up now. its great.

so much more responsive too. very good stuff.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Emerson said:
I can definitely understand wanting it, but over hours and hours of 2009 I've had it screw me over maybe one time. It's usually pretty smart and otherwise you learn what kind of stuff to play first to make sure you get all of your plays in.

it's still pretty whack if you've got an instant on deck and it screws you over... it's happened a few times for me

fuck i was hoping they'd fix that

oh well, still gonna buy it

Castor Krieg said:
It's not out yet in Europe so I played US demo. Was awesome, for someone that played a bit of Magic in the past, but dropped out because of time and money requirements it's a perfect substitute. Only managed to beat first opponent, who was surprisingly good given my difficulty level (Mage). Finished with only 1 Life, thanks to Serra Angel with two Equipment cards.

A lot of rules changed since I played it years ago e.g. Equipment cards have different cost for putting in the game and for putting on the card. After a creature with the card dies, I'm free to put it on someone else?

Great game, will have more time to play over the weekend.
Unless directly destroyed equipment will just default back to the field after the creature it was enchanting has been killed, so yes you could re equip any creature for just that equip cost, unless they destroy that artifact specifically.

Three hours ago it was "this game will unlock in approximately 3 hours" now it's "this game will unlock in approximately 2 hours". *shakes fist*

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
PS3, PC or both... such a hard decision. Help!

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
DasRaven said:
It's on sale for PSN+, so its probably cheaper on PS3 than PC right now.

Money is a non-factor. But I'll prolly pick it up on PSN today and PC when my new rig arrives.

JesseZao

DasRaven said:
I'm a free wipeout hd ps+ member, just wanted to finally use the 6 bucks and change in my psn wallet. Guess I'll keep it for now.

(foiled by stealth edit because of mobile browser quoting :D )

Cels

JesseZao said:
I'm a free wipeout hd ps+ member, just wanted to finally use the 6 bucks and change in my psn wallet. Guess I'll keep it for now.

It’s $7.99 with the discount right? On PSN the minimum amount of money you can add is $5, so you would have to add $5 to that 6 and change you have already so you’d have 3 and change left. Just something to consider.

I have a couple questions about this game that I want to know before making a purchase.

1. Are there planeswalker cards in this game? There weren’t in the first game which was disappointing, but it’s not that big a deal.
2. Re: Two-headed Giant mode. Is there online play for this mode that allows FOUR consoles to be used? In the first game, only two consoles could be used, with two players on each console locally. I wanted to be able to team up with my friend (using a different console since he’s across the country) to do 2HG against another pair of people, but the first game did not have this functionality. You had to have your team in your room and the other side had to have their team on one console. This will probably be a dealbreaker for me.

Heads up to all Welcome Back PS+ users - at least in EU the discount does not apply unless you're a paying member. Dick move by Sony, but I'm getting I regardless.

No45

Castor Krieg said:
Heads up to all Welcome Back PS+ users - at least in EU the discount does not apply unless you're a paying member. Dick move by Sony, but I'm getting I regardless.
I saw that earlier, was quite surprised really - surely the REAL idea behind the free 30 days is to encourage people to continue? Pissing them off isn't going to help. :/

I could have sworn I downloaded the full version of this at the last PS+ update (I just downloaded everything, wasn't paying attention) without paying. Perhaps it wasn't marked very well (or at all) as a trial.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm pretty sure the discount works. My girlfriend just bought it in the US with PS+ free 30 days.

And what you're talking about last week was the previous version of this game. DOTP 2009.

Minsc

Gold Member
JesseZao said:

Nice pun.

Emerson said:
I'm pretty sure the discount works. My girlfriend just bought it in the US with PS+ free 30 days.

I will be angry if it turns out EU got the short end of the stick. I was writing the message after reading Store Update on the official PS Blog:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/06/15/heads-up-game-store-update-15th-june-2011/#more-41582

Magic: The Gathering — Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 (£7.19/€8.99) – 20% discount for Plus subscribers(excludes Welcome Back Plus members) Rating: PEGI 7

samoset

Can't install from my games page and apparently other people who pre-ordered are having the same problems on the steam forums. Weirdly it seems people who buy it now can install it since the game is in regular release. I'll keep restarting steam to see if that helps.

And what is special edition? I think it just popped up on the store page unless I missed it earlier.

Sober

samoset said:
Can't install from my games page and apparently other people who pre-ordered are having the same problems on the steam forums. Weirdly it seems people who buy it now can install it since the game is in regular release. I'll keep restarting steam to see if that helps.

And what is special edition? I think it just popped up on the store page unless I missed it earlier.
Special Edition is a bunch of shiny bonuses that aren't part of the game (unless you like in-game foils). If you have the game it's just discounted because you paid for the first "half" of it anyway (20$)

The Special Edition includes:

-Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
-10 Foil Conversions
-Humanoids Persona Picture Pack (exclusive to Special Edition)
-D12 sound track
-Planeswalkers web comic PDF
-Exclusive D12 wall papers

Still can't install since I preordered, but it looks like DOTP2012 is showing up on the new releases board on Steam, so it shouldn't be long.

-

EDIT: Just restarted STEAM, it showed up. Installing now!

An-Det

It originally didnt unlock or say I even had preordered it, but it looks like it has unlocked for me. Downloading now.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Promo card requires you to go to a participating card shop...kind of lame. Last game they just mailed it.

Edit: Guess I should have read the OP.

Akim

Banned
when you buy it, where is the promo code for the card?

edit: wow nevermind

double edit: when I try to redeem it, it says invalid.....what the hell

Gowans

Looking forward to grabbing this tonight.

Played through the first one as my intro to Magic, never got the thrid expansion tho. Is it still worth picking it up or just moving straight on to this?

Anyway I have the points so no harm in getting it now.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
NameGenerated said:
Promo card requires you to go to a participating card shop...kind of lame. Last game they just mailed it.

Edit: Guess I should have read the OP.
How much can you expect to get by flipping the cards? It looked like Grave Titan was the most popular of the 3.

NameGenerated

Well the print on the website says estimated value = 1USD lol.

I have my 360 controller-Garruk from last version in a deck of mine. :)

No45

Akim said:
double edit: when I try to redeem it, it says invalid.....what the hell
I have the same problem. UK here, maybe they're not active yet? I only have one try left though so I don't want to waste it.

Akim

Banned
No45 said:
I have the same problem. UK here, maybe they're not active yet? I only have one try left though so I don't want to waste it.

I got it to work, I think EVERYTHING is case sensitive. Even gamertag, etc.

bunbun777

f--kin' blue deck arghhhhhh

and it seems players are still traumatized from the past vampire deck, I tried that one out and everyone starting teaming up on me for no reason.

I like the blue green deck myself.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
bunbun777 said:
f--kin' blue deck arghhhhhh

and it seems players are still traumatized from the past vampire deck, I tried that one out and everyone starting teaming up on me for no reason.

I like the blue green deck myself.
Is it still OP?

No45

Akim said:
I got it to work, I think EVERYTHING is case sensitive. Even gamertag, etc.
I have everything in there as it is on PSN.

Might be because I haven't actually bought the game of course, I'm still trying to work out if I have the trial version or not. :p

NameGenerated

I just ran into a match-breaking bug. Tezzeret is forever stuck on his second main phase. No timer going down or nothing, but he has 1 card in his hand so maybe he can play it but the AI borked. I dunno. I have to quit though, was probably going to win too. :(

Sober

SapientWolf said:
Is it still OP?
If he's talking about Koira Atua's U/G deck, it's not OP, but I had a bit of trouble beating her because the deck has pretty good control (AEther Mutation mostly) but it has a ton of mana acceleration to help thin the deck as well as some drawing cards. You should probably use white weenies to overrun her before she gets too far ahead, but if she has a good starting hand she can accelerate pretty fast.

NameGenerated said:
I just ran into a match-breaking bug. Tezzeret is forever stuck on his second main phase. No timer going down or nothing, but he has 1 card in his hand so maybe he can play it but the AI borked. I dunno. I have to quit though, was probably going to win too. :(
Yeah, sometimes the AI decides to take a while even with one or no card in hand during main phases or even during combat. Didn't know the AI needed to pause to think...

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Sober said:
If he's talking about Koira Atua's U/G deck, it's not OP, but I had a bit of trouble beating her because the deck has pretty good control (AEther Mutation mostly) but it has a ton of mana acceleration to help thin the deck as well as some drawing cards. You should probably use white weenies to overrun her before she gets too far ahead, but if she has a good starting hand she can accelerate pretty fast.
I was referring to the Vamps. I imagine it got over-nerfed, if anything.

I bought this not thinking and I just remembered how much I don't like Magic after the first match against the fire deck that drops 3/2s with haste, 3/3s that destroy artifacts and 4/4s like they are a dime a dozen.

NameGenerated

Sober said:
Yeah, sometimes the AI decides to take a while even with one or no card in hand during main phases or even during combat. Didn't know the AI needed to pause to think...
I gave it a solid 3 or 4 minutes to do something. Nothing was happening.

Sober

NameGenerated said:
I gave it a solid 3 or 4 minutes to do something. Nothing was happening.
Hmm, yeah, might be a bug then.

UI is pretty terrible to navigate, plus unlocked cards immediately are added to the deck? Who thought of that? Also, the Machinations deck has maybe 1 creature with W in its mana cost, why have Alpha Myr instead of Golden Myr and save myself the grief of having to have Plains in the deck.

RyanDG

Sober said:
Hahah, damn, 90 minutes in and got screwed by autotapping.

Still fun, just wish it were an option.

Yeppers. The problem with the suggestions people make (it's part of the game - plan for it), is that when you are going up against a player who is playing a blue deck, or want to a bait a card response from another player, not being able to play your spells in the order that you really want to hurts quite a bit.

Autotapping has put me in a significant disadvantage at least twice since I downloaded this on the PSN.

I like the game, it is still fun, but the auto tapping of mana hurts the game's strategy quite a bit, especially with the introduction of more multi-color decks.

Some people on the WotC forums are saying that the deck unlock keys can actually break the decks. Not sure how common it is, but it's worth pointing out. You might not want to buy any deck unlocks at the moment.

Top Bottom