• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012 |OT|

DasRaven

Incendiary said:
I'm not sure how MTGO works. You play online and can customize decks it seems, but do you have to buy cards just like you would a regular deck?

Yes, you can take the name literally. The currency is the "ticket" and there are sales, auctions, etc. You can buy tickets with real money via ebay/paypal at a slight discount.

Daigoro

looking forward to it.

(hopefully ATT fixes my shit so i can actually download it on release day. probably wishful thinking)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rebel Leader said:
I found a way to get it completely free from PSN+ =D

And no, it won't expire and works on all accounts on that PS3 =3

Don't know if I'm allowed to post it though

PM me. >_>

bunbun777

I am getting hyped waiting for the store to update-- man i love unlocking cards.

Hope the online works- lately the other magic game on psn has been horrible with 3 and 4 player matches.

--edit oh tell me too --

Yeef

marrec said:
Also will the mana ratio remain viable as you remove or swap in cards? I don't like having the Mana locked if I have enough land for a 78 card deck and I take out all the crap I don't want will I still have all that land?
In the first game the amount of basic lands in the deck increased or decreased depending on how many cards you had in the deck keeping the same overall ratio of lands to non-lands. It'll likely work the same way here.

Yeef said:
In the first game the amount of basic lands in the deck increased or decreased depending on how many cards you had in the deck keeping the same overall ratio of lands to non-lands. It'll likely work the same way here.

That's what I'm hearing. Folks on the Wizards forums are suggesting that you could pull all cards of a given color from some of the multi-colored decks to make mono-decks.

coopolon

Any news on controlling your own land tapping? In DoTP it never became a problem until the three color decks, but last night I kept running into problems with it.

Minsc

Gold Member
divisionbyzorro said:
That's what I'm hearing. Folks on the Wizards forums are suggesting that you could pull all cards of a given color from some of the multi-colored decks to make mono-decks.

That seems surprising given each sideboard / card unlock pool is 16 cards for all the decks. If the 16 cards are split half and half from the decks two colors that leaves only 8 cards of the opposite color, required to put all in to pull 8 cards out of the other color.

coopolon said:
Any news on controlling your own land tapping? In DoTP it never became a problem until the three color decks, but last night I kept running into problems with it.

Same as DotP 2009, it's done for you. Cast accordingly.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm sure it will vary by deck. I believe it was Tezzeret's deck that I was reading is 3-colored but only has 3 white cards. I imagine most people will turn that into a B/U deck rather than B/W/U. I guess we'll have to see about turning 2-color into mono though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Emerson said:
I'm sure it will vary by deck. I believe it was Tezzeret's deck that I was reading is 3-colored but only has 3 white cards. I imagine most people will turn that into a B/U deck rather than B/W/U. I guess we'll have to see about turning 2-color into mono though.

That makes more sense than turning a two or three colored deck to a mono one, unless it was a really weird one.

Sounds like Tezzeret's deck shouldn't even have white lands in it with just three white cards, ideally they'd be able to draw the mana from dual-lands or artifacts or creatures.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Yeah, having actually just looked at the deck list it really is weird. 3 Plains in the deck but only one white card to start (and that card is BWU anyway). The other two are unlockables.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
The game is out on PSN. Played a match against the cpu... the game seems more balanced than the last one, and the decks I've seen so far seem better than the old dotp decks. The game also seems to play faster. The timer between phases seems to be faster so there is less idle time. Game options are simpler/the game is not as complicated. So far a solid improvement over the older game.

Are there more cards than in the 2009 version? I've been playing it for the past several days and while it is quite interesting to me as a Magic newb, I have a feeling it will become sort of boring after some time without new cards.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
SapientWolf said:
People are gonna rage about no manual land tapping. What a bizarre omission.

Eh, this isn't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. I played over 4000 duels in the last version and lost less than 5 because the AI tapped the wrong land. Is it annoying when it happens? Yes. Will you lose the game because of it? Doubtful.

The game definitely plays much faster than before. It eliminates upkeep and battle phases if you can't do anything during them, so there is no senseless spinning of the hourglass. Also if you can't do anything in your main phase, it automatically ends it for you.

mjc

Can't wait to download this tomorrow on XBLA, the 2009 version is one of my most played arcade games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yea, there won't be much rage over no-manual land tapping, because well, DotP 2009 was the same way; it's not like they took it away, it was already gone. On the other hand:

Eggo said:
What seems like a bigger potential problem is you can't assign combat damage any more. It's all done automatically. Before you could flip a switch to manually assign combat damage, but that option is gone. Luckily, the cpu has not chosen poorly yet when it assigns damage.

Maybe DotP 2015 will play the game automatically for you.

I don't know, I guess it's not that big a deal, it's just sometimes you get blocked in a way you don't expect, and still have a way of dealing damage, and want to distribute all the damage to the creature you want to kill with the sorcery after combat is done. Or maybe you want to split it up evenly, because you have a card that does 2 damage to 2 creatures, I dunno.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
The cards are more powerful, the game plays faster, and the deck editor is awesome. It shows your mana curve during construction, and playing with a souped up 60 is a huge improvement. I had trouble deciding what to cut at one point.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I'm buying on 360 but played the PS3 demo for a bit tonight. Really like it. My only complaint is that I really wish you could play as the Archenemy. I really don't understand why not.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Eggo said:
Played about 6 games of DOTP2012 and already encountered a problem with assigning combat damage. I had a creature which dealt 7 damage. 4 went to the creature with 4 toughness. With the remaining 3, it could have gone to a 2/3 creature or a 2/2 creature that was unblockable. I would have killed the 2/3, the computer targeted the 2/2 unblockable, which technically can be seen as a greater threat. Considering I had a couple 2/2's on my side, I wanted to see the 2/3 killed. Like the landtapping, it was an annoyance, but not game breaking, as I won the game anyway.

Also saw another problem with the game. You can't do things that seem illogical or that would appear to harm you. For example, I ran into a blue deck which had a 4/5 creature which had to be sacrificed if it was the target of a spell or ability. I tried to Giant Growth it, but couldn't target it since GG is considered a 'friendly' spell. In the previous game, you could target yourself with harmful spells or Giant Growth an enemy. It was previously an option to toggle, but now that option is gone.

Despite these annoyances, the game feels a lot better than the previous one. The cards are more powerful, the game plays faster, and the deck editor is awesome. It shows your mana curve during construction, and playing with a souped up 60 is a huge improvement. I had trouble deciding what to cut at one point.
Yikes. This is baaaad.

Eggo said:
What seems like a bigger potential problem is you can't assign combat damage any more. It's all done automatically. Before you could flip a switch to manually assign combat damage, but that option is gone. Luckily, the cpu has not chosen poorly yet when it assigns damage.

This is toggable under the settings menu.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Gamer @ Heart said:
This is toggable under the settings menu.

Edit: nevermind. Didn't realize there were tabs in the settings menu now. The combat damage thing is not a problem, nor is the simplified targeting. This game rocks!

Eggo said:
Really? Where is it? I went into settings and the option is not there. It was in the previous game.

I could swear i saw it when i first booted it up. Let me re-check to make sure i'm not crazy.

Edit; Ok you found it. Im not crazy!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Eggo said:
Edit: nevermind. Didn't realize there were tabs in the settings menu now. The combat damage thing is not a problem, nor is the simplified targeting. This game rocks!
Oh whew. Both will be going off right away.

Minsc

Gold Member
Eggo said:
The cards are more powerful, the game plays faster, and the deck editor is awesome. It shows your mana curve during construction, and playing with a souped up 60 is a huge improvement. I had trouble deciding what to cut at one point.

What makes it so awesome? Just talking about being able to swap cards? Or is it something new?

Glad to hear damage assignment is toggle-able. Wish they'd do that for land tapping too! :)

Does the deck editor screen look exactly the same as DotP 2009, or is it new?

The_Technomancer said:
Oh whew. Both will be going off right away.

Yeah, I was scared for a moment too.

Still wish we could manually tap lands, but given the lack of 3-color decks, hopefully it won't be a huge issue.

Minsc said:
Does the deck editor screen look exactly the same as DotP 2009, or is it new?

There's a screenshot of it in the OP:

pix

Why did steam remove the first DOTP? Its not listed, and if you click the link from Wizards website it brings you to the homepage of steam. So all DLC is gone... makes no sense.

Chromax

Those phantom creatures from Jace's deck are a great bait against Gideon Jura in Archenemy. He always use those Arrest and that Kor hook guy to kill off those 1/1 phantoms instead of going after your 11/11...

Daigoro

nice to hear the impressions so far. sounds like changes were made for the better. cant wait to play tomorrow!

Eggo are you going to be doing any guides on deck construction on your blog for this game as well?

zewone

Can you play Two Headed Giant with an online friend against two other online opponents?

I know they made THG online co-op capable, but I hope it's not just for the THG campaign. :(

Chromax

Ok I'm digging this Revenge mode. It basically means instead of drawing cards the NPC can search their deck for a card instead. 3 times I dropped a Eldrazi and 3 times their next draw is a Act of Treason .

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
pix said:
Why did steam remove the first DOTP? Its not listed, and if you click the link from Wizards website it brings you to the homepage of steam. So all DLC is gone... makes no sense.
I heard that they're packaging the last game and all DLC into one download with the same price.

Daigoro

zewone said:
Can you play Two Headed Giant with an online friend against two other online opponents?

I know they made THG online co-op capable, but I hope it's not just for the THG campaign. :(

you can do THG co-op online now? that was a feature i really missed in the first one. great news.

damn. cant wait to play.

Kind of pissed...

The DirecTV guy came by and installed some shit, I swear he didn't touch the 360 or anything related to it, except for the router to plug in an ethernet and I'll be damned if my ethernet port on my 360 simply does not work. It just won't detect the cable! Cable is good, works for Ps3 or anything else, tried other cables...

Is this regular? Just fried.

So I'm on PSN playing this, interface seems smooth, but for some reason looks like lower definition IN game than before, a bit blurry and all that. Same complaint that I can't use the DPAD to play, but where did the music go? Very quiet now..

Chromax

I managed to basically solo the Garuuk Archenemy!

His first scheme gave him a free 5/4 on turn 1 and a few creatures later + a overun = dead partner on turn 3.

My other partner followed 2 turns later and I was let alone with Garuuk at 49 life. I somehow managed to sneak Lorthos the Tidemaker in and had a hard lockdown on his creature + land while managing to survive 7 turns worth of scheme cards. (none of the schemes were really helpful to him)

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Daigoro said:
Eggo are you going to be doing any guides on deck construction on your blog for this game as well?

I don't think I'll have time to write for the blog anytime soon. I started the blog when I was unemployed, but after getting a job, I haven't had time to update it. My friend wants to update dotpstats so it can record stats for DOTP2012, but that is dependent on his work schedule. We're hoping to get that updated, possibly by this weekend.

Daigoro

cool. no rush, but it would be nice if you were able to keep track of stats so you could update it at some point in the future.

ive been reading along. crushed a few people online with some edited decks based on your data a few months back. mono white can be such a killer if you draw right. very fun.

y2dvd

Glad to hear positive reactions. I will pick up the game after work today. Have the developers ever responded as to why manually tapping land is omitted again? I don't like to "hope for the best" and hope they don't tap a land I want untapped. Makes no sense since I'm sure it's been an outcry since the first DotP.

vixlar

y2dvd said:
Glad to hear positive reactions. I will pick up the game after work today. Have the developers ever responded as to why manually tapping land is omitted again? I don't like to "hope for the best" and hope they don't tap a land I want untapped. Makes no sense since I'm sure it's been an outcry since the first DotP.

Wow, I hadn't think about that, but you are right. The game must tap automatically the "required" but it would let you tap the "optional" lands. (Sorry, I'm not fluent at Magic lingo)

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've never seen an official response, but I'm sure it's just to maintain some smoothness to games. Manual land tapping would take a while and offer more opportunities for stalling.

I can definitely understand wanting it, but over hours and hours of 2009 I've had it screw me over maybe one time. It's usually pretty smart and otherwise you learn what kind of stuff to play first to make sure you get all of your plays in.

Minsc

Gold Member
vixlar said:
Wow, I hadn't think about that, but you are right. The game must tap automatically the "required" but it would let you tap the "optional" lands. (Sorry, I'm not fluent at Magic lingo)

I don't think you could tap the optional lands either, it just asks what you want X to be and you pick a number. You don't ever tap any mana in DotP afaik, and there are no special lands either, that would need you to tap them.

DasRaven

Grecco said:
Just started playing it. Did they combine the chalenge mode with the campaign?

Yes, very creative I'd say since once I solved the challenges I never went back to that mode again. Now, its a nice diversion from the main campaign, so I'll probably redo some from time to time.

wwm0nkey said:
So how is it guys? Have 800msp to spare and wondering how much of an improvement this is over the last one.

Faster play, better cards, reasonable sideboarding, Archenemy, better interface. I played through MTG09 on both PS3 & 360 and this is much better overall.

It's not out yet in Europe so I played US demo. Was awesome, for someone that played a bit of Magic in the past, but dropped out because of time and money requirements it's a perfect substitute. Only managed to beat first opponent, who was surprisingly good given my difficulty level (Mage). Finished with only 1 Life, thanks to Serra Angel with two Equipment cards.

A lot of rules changed since I played it years ago e.g. Equipment cards have different cost for putting in the game and for putting on the card. After a creature with the card dies, I'm free to put it on someone else?

Great game, will have more time to play over the weekend.

Top Bottom