• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

CoG

Beat the campaign. Haven't played MTG since the 90s. Glad to see the rules didn't change too much over the years. Still the best card game out there.

Piecake

No luck. Trying with Garruks as i type, i almost defeated it just with Garruks Companions. Dumb as shit a Creature can exalt itself.

edit: did it with Garruks, i got lucky: i had first turn, Nefarox barely summoned creatures and i have Garruks Companion with that 1+1 for each forest you control enchatment. So Trample with a 7/6 enchanted creature won it for me.

Liliana, Chandra, and Talrand should destroy the exalted deck pretty easily. Problem is, is that Liliana and Talrand kinda suck balls if they arent fully unlocked. Havent played Chandra yet (dont like red spell decks)

Fusebox

Banned
I haven't played Magic for about 10 years and haven't played with anything other than the original series. Lord of the Pit ftw.

I just got the iPad version, I hope I enjoy playing against the AI half as much as I did playing against my mates and I hope I don't get overwhelmed by all the new cards.

Acosta

Dude, where my weekend went?

Long story short: Never played Magic, I was always curious about it but I don't think I know anyone who plays and I had the idea that it was intimidating.

Given I'm trying stuff for the ipad, I give it a go, buy the game and woah, hours, and hours, and hours. It's surprisingly easy to understand and so deep (and I guess I'm experiencing Magic Lite, because I guess the real decks have much more variety, right?)

Completed the campaign (only had problems with Hydra and few more). I'm now advancing through Revenge, that is quite more difficult. And starting with online, is so much fun, it's really funny how many tricks you can see. I have unlocked most of Garrus Deck, I'm getting my first solid victories.

My most satisfactory victory was with a guy that seemed experienced. He beated me 3 times in a row, but I managed to beat him the fourth one with a fast combination of Blanchwood Armor + Primal Below on a Primal Huntbeast.

Piecake

Long story short: Never played Magic, I was always curious about it but I don't think I know anyone who plays and I had the idea that it was intimidating.

Given I'm trying stuff for the ipad, I give it a go, buy the game and woah, hours, and hours, and hours. It's surprisingly easy to understand and so deep (and I guess I'm experiencing Magic Lite, because I guess the real decks have much more variety, right?)

Completed the campaign (only had problems with Hydra and few more). I'm now advancing through Revenge, that is quite more difficult. And starting with online, is so much fun, it's really funny how many tricks you can see. I have unlocked most of Garrus Deck, I'm getting my first solid victories.

My most satisfactory victory was with a guy that seemed experienced. He beated me 3 times in a row, but I managed to beat him the fourth one with a fast combination of Blanchwood Armor + Primal Below on a Primal Huntbeast.

best piece of advice youll get is to make sure you trim your deck down to 60. It helps a ton

Violet_0

Banned
Liliana, Chandra, and Talrand should destroy the exalted deck pretty easily. Problem is, is that Liliana and Talrand kinda suck balls if they arent fully unlocked. Havent played Chandra yet (dont like red spell decks)

yes, creature removals should do the trick (especially when you can destroy the attacking creature with an instant before exalted stacks up) - however, you absolutely have to have your removals ready in time for his nastier creatures, and even a 1/1 creature can still fuck you up. As Chandra, if you're unlucky, he plays his enchantment that makes his creatures immune to burn damage. And he has 2-3 creatures with protection from black.

The Exalted deck is very, very strong, second only to Goblins.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

One of us...one of us...

If you ever have any questions about cards or strategy feel free to ask here or in the official GAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420282

I've been a Yugioh player for a long time and I got into Magic about a year ago with a friend and his crappy starter decks. I messed around with Magic 2012 a couple months ago but have really gotten addicted to Magic 2013.

But since I'm not very experienced with the game, I wonder how representative the decks and cards in the game are to the true potential of competitive Magic. Yugioh had this problem where their premade decks at stores were just a mere shadow of what competitive Yugioh had to offer. So much so that it actually created bad habits.

What percentage of the cards in the decks in Magic 2013 are used in competitive play? Are equips used often? Is burn viable? Matt Rorie said on Giantbomb that dual color decks are the hotness right now. Is that true? If so, count me in on those DLC decks. I just hope that wizards of the coast doesn't assume I don't want to see the game at its most hardcore in an effort to avoid scaring me off.

The Technomancer

But since I'm not very experienced with the game, I wonder how representative the decks and cards in the game are to the true potential of competitive Magic. Yugioh had this problem where their premade decks at stores were just a mere shadow of what competitive Yugioh had to offer. So much so that it actually created bad habits.

What percentage of the cards in the decks in Magic 2013 are used in competitive play? Are equips used often? Is burn viable? Matt Rorie said on Giantbomb that dual color decks are the hotness right now. Is that true? If so, count me in on those DLC decks. I just hope that wizards of the coast doesn't assume I don't want to see the game at its most hardcore in an effort to avoid scaring me off.

Competitive Magic is far and away deeper then what you're seeing in these decks here. A large part of that is the set specific archtypes that arise during each set's time in the tournament rotation.
Unfortunately they do basically believe the bolded: they've pretty much said that this is designed as an intro product that will hopefully get people to try the paper game and discover all of the greater depth the game has.

Oh, and multi-color decks in general are definitely more popular competitively. I wouldn't say as a blanket statement that equipment is used often, or that burn is used often, what I'd say is that its not uncommon for good equipment and good burn to get printed and make an appearance at the tournament level. Just about everything does really.

I've been a Yugioh player for a long time and I got into Magic about a year ago with a friend and his crappy starter decks. I messed around with Magic 2012 a couple months ago but have really gotten addicted to Magic 2013.

In the standard format at least, it depends on which cards are in the set.

In general, however, running a deck with two colors is better than a mono-colored deck because of the nature of how the colors are designed. Each color has its strengths and weaknesses, and by running two colors, you can cover weaknesses that your other color will have.

Of course, mono-colored decks don't have to worry about drawing the right colored lands (or buying expensive dual lands for that matter) and can be very strong. Examples being White Weenie decks and in the past, Mono-Black Control types.

Magic has a huge meta game, and if you follow the standard format, it changes every few months.

Acosta

The_Technomancer said:
One of us...one of us...

If you ever have any questions about cards or strategy feel free to ask here or in the official GAF thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420282

Wait, wait, so in real Magic you make your deck as you want mixing thousands of possible cards? *mind melts*

Piecake said:
best piece of advice youll get is to make sure you trim your deck down to 60. It helps a ton

Thanks! I actually figured that myself (total newbie but I have put a stupid amount of hours on it so far). I have reduced the number of creatures in middle tier and focused on fast growing to reach my most potent summons faster. Two blue mages managed to mill me out of my deck though.

I think this deck (Instinct) is not really my "style" once I have completed all the unlocks. I enjoyed the duels I made with Chandra's one, I liked ho "explosive" it was. And the Gobin deck is really fun when you start bombarding the enemy.

The Technomancer

Wait, wait, so in real Magic you make your deck as you want mixing thousands of possible cards? *mind melts*

Yup, although there are various formats that cut that pool down to a few hundred or a few thousand. The types and strategies that you can create vary wildly from one year to the next, its a lot of fun to keep up with.

Alucrid

Banned
Wow, I just saw the leaked DLC decks and there's a black/green one with a card similar to my favorite (Lhurgoyf). Fuck yeaaaah

Greater good, defense of the heart, spirit monger, 2 rancors, LOL so broken

Thanks! I actually figured that myself (total newbie but I have put a stupid amount of hours on it so far). I have reduced the number of creatures in middle tier and focused on fast growing to reach my most potent summons faster. Two blue mages managed to mill me out of my deck though.

This is actually quite dangerous. :) While it seems like you want to increase the odds that you will draw a massive threat, you'll find that it's actually worse to have a deck where those expensive cards languish in your hand for a bunch of turns while you wait for your land base to build up. You'll often hear Magic players talk about their "curve" - they're making sure that you have action every turn. When playing a creature deck, you want it built so that you're more likely to drop a creature every turn, rather than being more likely to draw your expensive fatty in your opening hand that doesn't do you any good until turn 7 (remember, you've got 6-7 turns to draw one of your 7-drops - you don't need a ton of 'em in your deck to have a good chance to draw one!).

EDIT: Maybe I read it wrong - it sounds like you're trying to "ramp" into fatties (where you don't play creatures early on, just spells to get more lands into play). That is certainly viable - just ensure that you still have enough early game action to survive the aggressive decks (like the goblins).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I totally dig the Intro to Magic part of this, but I really thought with the annual releases they would beef up the customization a little. Like at least let people make decks with the narrow universe of cards in the game, or make it a separate mode. Then you could have an online draft mode as well, which would be fantastic. And they really wouldn't have to blow out the complexity at all or make it MTGO to achieve that and it would serve as an even better entree to the real thing rather than just the superficial taste that it always has been. Make people go through the basic challenge mode sure, and get used to the pre-made decks, but just one new mode (not Planechase :p) like draft or something with a limited set would be so good.

But alas

best 60 card deck set ups?

I stole this from GameFAQs and beat the Revenge campaign on Plainswalker difficulty without dropping a single game.

Goblins

24 Land
2 Goblin Arsonist
2 Goblin Bushwacker
1 Goblin Fireslinger
2 Goblin Grenade
1 Goblin Guide
2 Raging Goblin
2 Shock
2 Ember Hauler
2 Goblin Piledriver
1 Goblin Wardriver
3 Krenko's Command
1 Warren Instigator
1 Blisterstick Shaman
3 Gempalm Incinerator
2 Goblin Chieftain
1 Goblin Warchief
1 Clickslither
1 Goblin Goon
1 Goblin Ringleader
1 Krenko, Mad Boss
2 Reckless One
1 Siege Gang Commander
1 Voracious Dragon

Izick

Okay, so I don't know if I should pick this up or not. I really enjoyed the idea of MtG, but I never had friends that played it, and I never really had a chance to play. I tried out DotP 2012, but I didn't buy it; played the trial though, and thought it was pretty cool.

With that said, for someone who's not really completely knowledgeable about the series, is this still possibly worthy of a purchase? My only other problem right now is that I don't have XBL Gold right now either...

Oh good! I'm going to try the trial out now to see how I like it, but I'm guessing I'm going to pick it up. Is it still worth it without online-multiplayer?

There's a sizable amount of single player content here, yes. Especially for $10. I'd say probably 5-6 hours for the two normal campaigns and encounters. A few more hours for the Planechase campaign and possibly a lot more time for challenges (if you don't look up the solutions). That's not even counting card unlocks. The Magic games are among the best value-for-dollar games each year imo.

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
I stole this from GameFAQs and beat the Revenge campaign on Plainswalker difficulty without dropping a single game.

Goblins

24 Land
2 Goblin Arsonist
2 Goblin Bushwacker
1 Goblin Fireslinger
2 Goblin Grenade
1 Goblin Guide
2 Raging Goblin
2 Shock
2 Ember Hauler
2 Goblin Piledriver
1 Goblin Wardriver
3 Krenko's Command
1 Warren Instigator
1 Blisterstick Shaman
3 Gempalm Incinerator
2 Goblin Chieftain
1 Goblin Warchief
1 Clickslither
1 Goblin Goon
1 Goblin Ringleader
1 Krenko, Mad Boss
2 Reckless One
1 Siege Gang Commander
1 Voracious Dragon

gonna try this one. this is one deck i'm having trouble cutting down.

Piecake

Goblins

24 Land
2 Goblin Arsonist
2 Goblin Bushwacker
1 Goblin Fireslinger
2 Goblin Grenade
1 Goblin Guide
2 Raging Goblin
2 Shock
2 Ember Hauler
2 Goblin Piledriver
1 Goblin Wardriver
3 Krenko's Command
1 Warren Instigator
1 Blisterstick Shaman
3 Gempalm Incinerator
2 Goblin Chieftain
1 Goblin Warchief
1 Clickslither
1 Goblin Goon
1 Goblin Ringleader
1 Krenko, Mad Boss
2 Reckless One
1 Siege Gang Commander
1 Voracious Dragon

I basically play the same deck except I have rage reflection and Relentless assault instead of Blisterstick shaman and Goblin Goon

Blisterstick shaman, in particular, seems very underwhelming. It just doesnt seem worth it to me

As for mana ramp, my green deck is definitely constructed that way. I mean, i totally ditch the huntbeast, boar, and Stomphowler since the bigger creatures are SOO much better and with all of the mana ramp cards in your deck, i think its a good bet to make

Speaking of the gob and the upcoming W/G token deck, I think they really need to implement some sort of auto-block function for multi-player. With a billion tokens in the field, its just too damn confusing trying to block them all

Piecake

How important is unlocking decks prior to playing online? It seems like unlocking them is going to take awhile!

Well, its definitely quicker to unlock them offline since you wont lose, but ive played a bunch of times online without fully unlocked decks. Gob and Odric decks are pretty easy to do since their starter set isnt too bad

JambiBum

I was playing the planechase campaign earlier and got it down to the last guy who was the white life stack deck. I had a ton of creatures thanks to my blue. I can't think of the card names right now so I'll have to try and explain them the best I can. Basically I had enough land to use the kick on the card that can clone up to five of the same creature. So I would use it to clone the mage that allows you to return an instant or sorcery card when he comes into play. The five mages would allow me to bring back the clone card plus whatever other sorcery/instant I wanted. Then I would just clone again. I had a ton of creatures but he had a like 1000 hp. Eventually I milled him down to no cards but somehow he kept bringing up a card that would spawn a 2/2 for each land he had. He ended up with over 150 creatures and I just couldn't keep up any longer. That one segment of the game lasted over an hour.

Started a new game and won in fifteen minutes lol.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Really hope they port this or 2014 will pop up on the vita.

Why they never ported to PSP when Wagic: The Homebrew was already there, I'll never know. They could've simply bought the code of that off and just made that the port. :/

kr2t0s

Playing the iOS version - and haven't unlocked the full game yet, so not sure if that is the issue or not.

But playing a red deck and for the life of me cannot figure out how to pump mana into a creature that has the ability to do so.

For example - flying creature that gets 1/0 for each red mana you pump into it but I sooo don't see how this can be done.

I played alpha, beta, legends, 3rd and 4th (stopped there) so i somewhere remember how to play the game and i'm having fun - but feel like i could greatly improve my battles if i could just figure out how to boost my creatures

argh! help! frustrated!

The Technomancer

Playing the iOS version - and haven't unlocked the full game yet, so not sure if that is the issue or not.

But playing a red deck and for the life of me cannot figure out how to pump mana into a creature that has the ability to do so.

For example - flying creature that gets 1/0 for each red mana you pump into it but I sooo don't see how this can be done.

Zoom in on the card and tap the ability? That's how it works in the PC version.

Calidor

can I block & sacrifice? like I'm defending against a 2/2 with a 1/1 that deals 1 additional dmg if you sacrifice it.

can I block & sacrifice? like I'm defending against a 2/2 with a 1/1 that deals 1 additional dmg if you sacrifice it.

No. If you sacrifice a blocker before combat damage is dealt, the sacrificed blocker still blocks the opposing damage but deals no combat damage itself. There used to be a mechanic where you could sacrifice a creature in response to the combat damage it's dealing but before it dies, but Wizards removed it a few years ago.

Dreavus

No. If you sacrifice a blocker before combat damage is dealt, the sacrificed blocker still blocks the opposing damage but deals no combat damage itself. There used to be a mechanic where you could sacrifice a creature in response to the combat damage it's dealing but Wizards removed it a few years ago.

The old mechanic used to make one of my friends very annoyed in paper magic. I used to play a deck with tons of bounce tricks, "put damage on the stack", and come out ahead in combat every time. I'm glad they tightened it up though. Having combat damage use the stack always seemed a little off to me.

Acosta

This is actually quite dangerous. :) While it seems like you want to increase the odds that you will draw a massive threat, you'll find that it's actually worse to have a deck where those expensive cards languish in your hand for a bunch of turns while you wait for your land base to build up. You'll often hear Magic players talk about their "curve" - they're making sure that you have action every turn. When playing a creature deck, you want it built so that you're more likely to drop a creature every turn, rather than being more likely to draw your expensive fatty in your opening hand that doesn't do you any good until turn 7 (remember, you've got 6-7 turns to draw one of your 7-drops - you don't need a ton of 'em in your deck to have a good chance to draw one!).

EDIT: Maybe I read it wrong - it sounds like you're trying to "ramp" into fatties (where you don't play creatures early on, just spells to get more lands into play). That is certainly viable - just ensure that you still have enough early game action to survive the aggressive decks (like the goblins).

Yes, it's the second. I am no completely defenceless for the first rounds (I have a few of a pretty effective 4/5 unit that cost 3 mana and some options for 4 and 5), but the basic idea is trying to improve the odds of getting cards that will add extra forests.

Card Boy

Banned
I had this shit talker on the PC version with Jaces deck trolling me, he thought he was winning then i got a lucky draw and OWNED his arse.

The old mechanic used to make one of my friends very annoyed in paper magic. I used to play a deck with tons of bounce tricks, "put damage on the stack", and come out ahead in combat every time. I'm glad they tightened it up though. Having combat damage use the stack always seemed a little off to me.

And Mogg Fanatic was like the best creature ever for R.

Pastry

Banned
I'm kind of frustrated with multiplayer. I'm new to Magic and really enjoying the game so far. I have probably played around 5 multiplayer games so far and finally look like I'm about to win my first game. I was absolutely dominating the guy and he left the game with two health. Instead of me getting the victory because he conceded I am then forced to play against a random AI opponent the rest of the game who proceeds to use that damn life building white deck to beat me. It's kind of frustrating that I was not given the option to accept the win once my opponent left. There was a reason I was playing multiplayer, I don't want to be forced to play AI once my opponent bails on a loss. I guess I'll get my first victory another time :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm kind of frustrated with multiplayer. I'm new to Magic and really enjoying the game so far. I have probably played around 5 multiplayer games so far and finally look like I'm about to win my first game. I was absolutely dominating the guy and he left the game with two health. Instead of me getting the victory because he conceded I am then forced to play against a random AI opponent the rest of the game who proceeds to use that damn life building white deck to beat me. It's kind of frustrating that I was not given the option to accept the win once my opponent left. There was a reason I was playing multiplayer, I don't want to be forced to play AI once my opponent bails on a loss. I guess I'll get my first victory another time :(

If it's like 2012 it should show if they have AI takeover enabled or not, just don't join games that have that checked, or host them yourself and leave it off.

Pastry

Banned
If it's like 2012 it should show if they have AI takeover enabled or not, just don't join games that have that checked, or host them yourself and leave it off.

I'm playing on an iPad, I don't remember seeing that as an option but I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Dina

Talrond's deck is really hard to get used to. Just doesn't get rolling quickly enough, it seems. And when it does the drakes never really hit hard enough. Unbuffed deck, but still.

The Technomancer

Talrond's deck is really hard to get used to. Just doesn't get rolling quickly enough, it seems. And when it does the drakes never really hit hard enough. Unbuffed deck, but still.

Yeah, they're trying to use it to introduce the idea of a Control deck but they seem to have forgotten that you still need a win condition (a way to finish out the game)

Venfayth

Xathrid Gorgon > that shitty primordial hydra encounter.

Fuck that encounter.

BLLJW.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Milling has always been a terrible strategy. Its simply too slow.

I dunno. There's Traumatize that is pretty scary in DotP '09's expansion 1 simply because it can cut a 60 card deck down to 30 in one move. If you've got four of those and (in theory) land them it cuts it down to... 30, 15, 8 (unless you round down 7), 4/3 cards left in four turns after 5 (so 9 turn win) if they land. And then you have "force an opponent to draw/discard" card cards that could be good.

Issue with "milling" is that the costs to do it is a bit too much (for good reason) to be truly terrorizing.

Top Bottom