• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

Piecake

Have to agree with everyone. Garruk and the gob deck are just nasty. Two best decks in the game i think

Ive been playing a lot of Odric. and while its pretty good, it just gets flat beat if Garruk and the gob deck get some good hands

Chojin

Bahahaha I was playing a Planechase game and the guy before my turn planeswalked through that temporal eddy thing that casts Show and Tell and I dropped a Felidar Sovereign and everyone else dropped creatures while I had a Soul Warden out. One guy drops Siege Gang Commander and the two others drop creatures as well. It bumped me up to 40 life exactly (I had gained a few already in the past turns) and I instawin the game.

Planechase is too chaotic.

Tizoc

Uh am I the only one who noticed that Jace's deck focus highly on your opponent discarding the cards in their library?
Surely his deck is among the best in the game as well right?

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Uh am I the only one who noticed that Jace's deck focus highly on your opponent discarding the cards in their library?

Milling has always been a terrible strategy. Its simply too slow.

Milling has always been a terrible strategy. Its simply too slow.
In this game it's very effective if you're playing against a single opponent. I beat Nicol Bolas in both campaigns on the highest difficulty with the mill deck on my first attempt. It's not as great against a fast deck, like goblins or burn.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

The fundamental problem with milling is that its literally doing nothing until they have 0 cards in their library.

Basically you can spend 2 mana on removing an opponents creature, counting an opponents spell, putting your own creature onto the field, getting more land onto the field or putting some of your opponents cards from their library into their graveyard.

Only one of those things does you nothing in directly winning you the game.

bunbun777

Was looking at MtG forums, apparantly dlc 5 decks are in the game already (surprise) looks like 5 ravnica guild themes, all multicolored.

No B/U though.

edit sry Im on my vita in bed no linkage but its at the official forums

What does the Gold or Silver emblem mean when you beat a level?

I thought it was to beat it with 20 or more life but I got gold on one and that wasn't the case. Just curious how to "gold" all the levels.

ultron87

Oh joy, a hexproof guys + auras deck with two Invisble Stalkers. Good to add that since I sure do hate interacting with opponents.

oroboros

Game is great, but only thing I wish is that ranked matches were best 2 out of 3 and you could sideboard between rounds.

This would cut down on having to try to build a deck that can deal with everything instead of an optimized deck that works well against who you are actually playing. I feel like I'm including and cutting cards just to deal with certain matchups even if they are not the best cards overall. My decks all seem way too generalized and suffer because of it.

soldat7

Production values are a mess on the iPad. They should have just kept things simple (the lame intro, low-res videos, non-Retina bits everywhere, etc.) The game plays really slow and the interface is clunky.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
What does the Gold or Silver emblem mean when you beat a level?

I thought it was to beat it with 20 or more life but I got gold on one and that wasn't the case. Just curious how to "gold" all the levels.

The difficulty you beat it on, I think.

Violet_0

Banned
I was wrong, the blue not-Jace control deck is actually pretty darn good in the right hands. It's giving me a lot of trouble lately.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Got my "booster"/promo cards.

Vampire Nocturnus (PS3 exclusive)
Chandra's Fury
Yeva's Forcemage
Garruk's Packleader
Ajani's Sunstriker
Vedalken Entrancer

Not too bad.

Violet_0

Banned
Planchase is awful. It takes forever and some of the plane cards are just wtf stupid.

sounds like Archenemy, minus the forever part

I agree with you, I don't find it particularly fun either (also the netcode is terrible and makes it impossible to play)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Production values are a mess on the iPad. They should have just kept things simple (the lame intro, low-res videos, non-Retina bits everywhere, etc.) The game plays really slow and the interface is clunky.

Agreed. The core game is super entertaining but the implementation is mostly amateur hour.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Planchase is awful. It takes forever and some of the plane cards are just wtf stupid.

Its actually fun to play with friends IRL, though we just have one planar deck instead of one for each player (not sure how DotP2013 does it since I havent tried it yet, but the official rules is a planar deck for each player), we also take out the shitty or unfun planes out as well.

Thenarus

Neo Member
How do you aquire the Promotional Unlock Cards for your decks on the 360?

That's the thing; no one yet knows for sure here on the consumer side. There is an option at the bottom of the screen to press a button (X on the 360) which allows you to enter a promo unlock code. How those are distributed is the real question, it seems.

Arcteryx

Please tell me these in-game ads go away...right?

I've seen 2 ads already for the intro pack...

edit: hahahahaha, no clue how I just won that game, but I was playing Planechase with 9 lives vs someone with 180+....somehow he rolled something that auto-won me the game. Can't stop laughing

IllumiNate

This is Wotc, welcome to 10 years of digital mtg

Picked up my promo boosters last night. Got Krenko's command, Captain's Call and Talrand's Invocation from one promo booster. Hello Vampire Nocturnusx2! Murder should have creature can't be regenerated for its cmc.

I tried Liliana's deck in planechase. Having a really hard time winning. Haven't unlocked all the cards. Lacked good board sweeper until I unlock Mutilate.

dommynick

What's WotC got against control? Nerfing it in the paper version, not even putting in a control deck in DotP '13. Makes me sad, but then I just play the goblin deck and make people feel like this:

the goblin deck is fucking ridicules, I'm done

And I don't feel so sad.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Beat the regular campaign on the hardest difficulty. Game is super simple if you have any real magic chops at all, the AI is awful.

iwneVsoP6CV6H.png

What's WotC got against control? Nerfing it in the paper version, not even putting in a control deck in DotP '13.

The first thing I did was look at the blue and black decks to see if any of them could be morphed into a control deck. The closest is the Talrand deck, which can get into some really awesome shenanigans with Penoptic Mirror (infinite turns!), but even that doesn't quite get you there.

The problem is that DotP is meant to be welcoming to newcomers, and a proper control deck would just frustrate the hell out of someone who's new to the game. I can't ever play any creatures! My guys always die! Everything I do gets countered! So unfair!

dommynick

The first thing I did was look at the blue and black decks to see if any of them could be morphed into a control deck. The closest is the Talrand deck, which can get into some really awesome shenanigans with Penoptic Mirror (infinite turns!), but even that doesn't quite get you there.

I did the same, and while it's a fun deck after tuning, it's not a control deck. The mono blue deck in DotP '12 wasn't abusive at all, but it was still a fun control deck. You know DotP has it out for blue when they buff all the other mono colored decks relative to their power level from '12, and rather than keep blue on the same level, they just make it the worst. Which is why I'm having fun being as abusive as possible with goblins.

Dina

After, euhm, testing the game out for a few campaign rounds and one Planeschase round with the Reborn from Fire deck, I just bought it on Steam.

The Fire deck seems great, although I did have some trouble versus Garruk and Liliana. But I will be testing other decks really soon.

Also, I knew _nothing_ from MTG walking in, and I still did pretty well. It's also pretty deep, which I like. So yeah, cool game, will play more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Beat the regular campaign on the hardest difficulty. Game is super simple if you have any real magic chops at all, the AI is awful.

iwneVsoP6CV6H.png

The AI is basically the one from the original one isn't it? It's like the most basic thing ever. I think a single guy programmed it like eight years ago and they're still using it.

Also after playing some online of this man -- the game could be so much snappier. vs. PC you should be able to play the games at least twice as fast. These guys could really learn a lot from Playdek.

coopolon

iwneVsoP6CV6H.png

I must be terrible at MtG. I am constantly getting my ass handed to me at the highest difficulty, I either get 1 or 2 land or nothing but land.

Edit: And I have yet to play a duel on the highest difficulty where the AI didn't put out a land every turn for at least the first 8 or 9 turns.

I must be terrible at MtG. I am constantly getting my ass handed to me at the highest difficulty, I either get 1 or 2 land or nothing but land.
Don't be afraid to mulligan if your opening hand isn't aggressive enough. You need a good balance of lands and playable spells.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Mulligan aggressively. You get a free mulligan in this game (at least in offline, I havent touched multiplayer yet).

Piecake

They really need to fix that zoom in UI crash bug. Ive gotten that LOADS of times (i cant help myself from zooming in :(

As for the gob deck, it definitely is powerful, but it just gets destroyed by Chandra or Liliana. Garruk will destroy it too if he outlives the first couple of turns

coopolon

Don't be afraid to mulligan if your opening hand isn't aggressive enough. You need a good balance of lands and playable spells.

Mulligan aggressively. You get a free mulligan in this game (at least in offline, I havent touched multiplayer yet).

I always use the free mulligan if I should, I guess I should be willing to go past that if the starting hand looks really bad. Am just very reluctant to give up a card.

ultron87

I always use the free mulligan if I should, I guess I should be willing to go past that if the starting hand looks really bad. Am just very reluctant to give up a card.
In single player there is no reason to take a bad hand or go to six cards. Just restart the match.

J0dy77

The AI is basically the one from the original one isn't it? It's like the most basic thing ever. I think a single guy programmed it like eight years ago and they're still using it.

Also after playing some online of this man -- the game could be so much snappier. vs. PC you should be able to play the games at least twice as fast. These guys could really learn a lot from Playdek.

I was just thinking the exact same thing. Please give the license to Playdek. The game could be so amazing on this platform.

Card Boy

Banned
How the heck do i defeat Nefarox? That Exalted deck is the most OP shit i have seen, worse than those white decks combined. I have being trying for 2hrs so far, i tried the 2 red decks, 2 white decks, Jaces and now that Black deck.

How the heck do i defeat Nefarox? That Exalted deck is the most OP shit i have seen, worse than those white decks combined. I have being trying for 2hrs so far, i tried the 2 red decks, 2 white decks, Jaces and now that Black deck.

I'd say use Chandra's deck and all the mass removal (Rain of Embers, Flamebreak, Chandra's Fury) you can get to keep his board empty.

Card Boy

Banned
I'd say use Chandra's deck and all the mass removal you can get to keep his board empty.

No luck. Trying with Garruks as i type, i almost defeated it just with Garruks Companions. Dumb as shit a Creature can exalt itself.

edit: did it with Garruks, i got lucky: i had first turn, Nefarox barely summoned creatures and i have Garruks Companion with that 1+1 for each forest you control enchatment. So Trample with a 7/6 enchanted creature won it for me.

Top Bottom