• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

I've never played Magic before but got this on 360 so am trying to learn the basics.

I don't really get what's happening in the first challenge though. If I wait for him to attack, he uses all three cards and so I have to lose at least two of mine to block (and just let one Stampede through, leaving me with 1 life.) However, if I fling a Goblin Piker at his Deadly Recluse, he's left with two cards but for some reason only attacks with one of them, which means I can let the Stampede through and end with 1 life, but I've got two cards left instead of one. What is it that's stopping him from just attacking with his two remaining cards, and thus me having to block with one of mine and ending in exactly the same state as if I hadn't used fling at all?

Normally I'd just accept it and move on, but since I'm trying to learn the game I feel like I should probably understand what's happening here!

Tizoc

I think I spent 2 hours in nearly a dozen or so matches against the CPU to unlock cards for Telran's deck...and I haven't won a single one =_=

Minsc

Gold Member
To be fair, most of those posts are people who just don't understand the rules.

I ACTIVATES THE HEXPROOFS ON THE RINGS BUT HE STILL INCINERATES BUG BUG!

I wonder how many game logic bugs MTGO has compared to these. For something like MTGO you'd think it would need to be perfect, since money/cards are on the line but it probably has its share as well, though those must get patched quickly to prevent them from being abused.

I'm not surprised to see some bugs in these games; as all the years of new rules and permutations of possible card interactions would make testing pretty complex, even with limited deck options vs a completely free deck building experience in MTGO.

ultron87

I need to go Oblivion Ring an Oblivion Ring that has an Oblivion Ring under it with nothing else on the field to see what this game does.

Danj

I need to go Oblivion Ring an Oblivion Ring that has an Oblivion Ring under it with nothing else on the field to see what this game does.

What's an Oblivion Ring?

*looks it up*

Image.ashx

Wow... wouldn't that basically lead to an infinite loop?

Wow... wouldn't that basically lead to an infinite loop?

Yes. From the Gatherer:

"If there are no nonland permanents on the battlefield other than an Oblivion Ring, and the card it exiled was another Oblivion Ring, casting a third Oblivion Ring will result in an involuntary infinite loop that will end the game in a draw (unless someone chooses to break it by putting another nonland permanent onto the battlefield or destroying one of the Oblivion Rings, for example)."

ultron87

I don't have my iPad with me currently but I'm guessing the game would loop forever but not crash since it still requires you to select a target for abilities that have only one legal target while MTGO just does it automatically.

Danj

Yes. From the Gatherer:

"If there are no nonland permanents on the battlefield other than an Oblivion Ring, and the card it exiled was another Oblivion Ring, casting a third Oblivion Ring will result in an involuntary infinite loop that will end the game in a draw (unless someone chooses to break it by putting another nonland permanent onto the battlefield or destroying one of the Oblivion Rings, for example)."

So... it's intentional? That seems weird.

It's just the way the rules work. O-ring is deliberately written with a non-optional trigger to allow for shenanigans where you can remove targets while the O-Ring is on the stack, forcing your opponent to exile one of his own permanents.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

Intentional? Maybe...But it wouldn't surprise me. If you the game was ramping up and you were about to get into an un-winnable situation, it would make sense to try and force a draw.

E: Also what divisionbyzorro said.

red13th

On the other mtg thread someone posted a video of Luis Scott Vargas I think doing the Oblivion Ring loop on Magic the Gathering Online and it crashed the game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
On the other mtg thread someone posted a video of Luis Scott Vargas I think doing the Oblivion Ring loop on Magic the Gathering Online and it crashed the game.

Yeah, that was hilarious.

Also, anyone got an answer to toythatkills' question? I still can't get the game working so I don't know what the challenge entails.

I've never played Magic before but got this on 360 so am trying to learn the basics.

I don't really get what's happening in the first challenge though. If I wait for him to attack, he uses all three cards and so I have to lose at least two of mine to block (and just let one Stampede through, leaving me with 1 life.) However, if I fling a Goblin Piker at his Deadly Recluse, he's left with two cards but for some reason only attacks with one of them, which means I can let the Stampede through and end with 1 life, but I've got two cards left instead of one. What is it that's stopping him from just attacking with his two remaining cards, and thus me having to block with one of mine and ending in exactly the same state as if I hadn't used fling at all?

Normally I'd just accept it and move on, but since I'm trying to learn the game I feel like I should probably understand what's happening here!

Not sure why it behaves that way. I guess you've thrown off his plan and he wants to leave up blockers (I assume he only attacks with the vigilance creature).

But why would you ever Fling the Piker at the Recluse? You've just 2-for-1'd yourself, when you could have just blocked the Piker on the attacking Recluse...

Not sure why it behaves that way. I guess you've thrown off his plan and he wants to leave up blockers (I assume he only attacks with the vigilance creature).

He doesn't attack with the vigilance creature, he attacks with the other one. That's what doesn't really make sense! Even so, he attacks with all three to begin with so there's no reason not to attack with two, unless there's something I'm missing (there probably is)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Here it is.

He doesn't attack with the vigilance creature, he attacks with the other one. That's what doesn't really make sense! Even so, he attacks with all three to begin with so there's no reason not to attack with two, unless there's something I'm missing (there probably is)

Solution:
Block the spider with the piker. Block the vigilance guy with your drake and let the trampler hit you. On your turn use Act of Treason on his vigilance guy, attack with his vigilance guy and your 3/1 guy and then fling his vigilance guy at his face.

If you're asking if the AI is doing the right thing, he's not. He should attack you with both, especially since you now only have one mana up.

Solution:
Block the spider with the piker. Block the vigilance guy with your drake and let the trampler hit you. On your turn use Act of Treason on his vigilance guy, attack with his vigilance guy and your 3/1 guy and then fling his vigilance guy at his face.

Ah, now *that* feels like a proper solution.

If you're asking if the AI is doing the right thing, he's not. He should attack you with both, especially since you now only have one mana up.

That's what I thought, which really annoys me. It seems like a pretty arbitrary solution for a "puzzle" if that's the case. Perform the random move that shouldn't work but makes the AI behave incorrectly.

That's what I thought, which really annoys me. It seems like a pretty arbitrary solution for a "puzzle" if that's the case. Perform the random move that shouldn't work but makes the AI behave incorrectly.

There are a number of challenges which are quite arbitrary.

For example, you'll come across one involving the Praetor cycle, where you're getting attacked by five horrifying creatures, and you have to choose one to kill. Any magic player worth his salt would always kill the blue one, preventing his opponent from drawing seven cards - yet you can kill any one of the five, and the game essentially makes your opponent draw a grip of useless cards if you leave the blue one up.

And the final challenge requires you to know the cards on the top of your deck about 5-6 cards deep. It's still a fun thought experiment, but almost none of these challenges map to any sort of real-game situation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
"Encounters" are so stupid. "Sure, we'll let the AI break the normal rules of 4 per card that isn't land and have it cast one color cost cards a turn. TROLLFACE.jpg"

ultron87

There are a number of challenges which are quite arbitrary.

For example, you'll come across one involving the Praetor cycle, where you're getting attacked by five horrifying creatures, and you have to choose one to kill. Any magic player worth his salt would always kill the blue one, preventing his opponent from drawing seven cards - yet you can kill any one of the five, and the game essentially makes your opponent draw a grip of useless cards if you leave the blue one up.

Do you not have to kill them on your for turn for that one? I know that when I did it with killing Elesh Norn I was able to do it on that next turn so Jin Gitaxis being up didn't matter.

Edit: Oh right, he draws on the End Step.

Shoogoo

I looked through the decks in the demo and although I can see how some are fun to play, the game didn't really strike me as a must-buy.

Is it that much better compared to 2012?

smr00

Banned
Any suggestions on what deck to unlock? specifically looking for the best deck to just burn through the campaign with little to no problems.

like the that enchant deck from last year, i hear the goblin deck is pretty good for campaign.

EDIT- This starting green deck is hot fucking garbage, does it not have anything other then land? played 2 games and both games i drew a total of 3 creatures and nothing but land through the ENTIRE game.

dionysus

Yaldog
You can do it at any point assuming you have the mana available.

This is incorrect. For whatever reason you can't activate abilities or cast instants while selecting attackers and defenders in the combat phase. Right after the select defenders phase there is an opportunity to use abilities and instants while the bar counts down. It is a small window though, before combat resolves and it is too late.

This is incorrect. For whatever reason you can't activate abilities or cast instants while selecting attackers and defenders in the combat phase. Right after the select defenders phase there is an opportunity to use abilities and instants while the bar counts down. It is a small window though, before combat resolves and it is too late.

That's because that's how the rules work. During the time in which you're declaring blockers or attackers, no spells can be cast or abilities used. You can only do these things before attackers are declared, between declaring attackers and blockers, and between declaring blockers and resolving combat damage.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Any suggestions on what deck to unlock? specifically looking for the best deck to just burn through the campaign with little to no problems.

like the that enchant deck from last year, i hear the goblin deck is pretty good for campaign.

EDIT- This starting green deck is hot fucking garbage, does it not have anything other then land? played 2 games and both games i drew a total of 3 creatures and nothing but land through the ENTIRE game.

One of the games bigger annoyances is that you can't pick how much land you want and it puts in too damn much.

One of the games bigger annoyances is that you can't pick how much land you want and it puts in too damn much.

You know, I'm kind of surprised they don't shoehorn in MTGO adverts when you go into the deck manager. Get people right when they're raging about how bad some of the cards are, how out of balance the land is, how the curves aren't perfect. Then you microtransact the shit out of them.

Tamanon

Banned
One-shotted Nicol Bolas with the millstone Jace deck. Of course that I Cloned that creature that lets you play a sorcery from another's hand for free.

He of course had that brutal BBUURR card that I don't know the name of, lol.

coopolon

Really torn about steam vs ipad. I have an ipad 1, and the demo runs and it is completely playable, but it is noticeably sluggish.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, the scroll left bug is seriously pissing me off now. Not a problem with the game files (redownloaded), not a problem with my dual monitor display (disconnected one of them)

Violet_0

Banned
Goblins is almost impossible to win against with many/most of the decks

I can put up a fight with Chandra (due to the many mass removals), but my mono black deck is chanceless if I don't get one of the two mass removals in the whole deck

also, it pisses me off that the white lifegain deck (probably also the best deck) has equally good/better removals than black

for those who are playing the Garruk deck - the shroud boots are extremely important

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Totally unrelated to this years outing but DotP '09's AI and turtling against said AI is hilarious. I'll have to upload these pictures later.

So, when is the first event for digital cards in DotP '13?

Violet_0

Banned
Garruk has absolutely crazy unlocks. He's a top tier player, I'm calling it now.

e: though the soldier deck is disgustingly powerful as well

right now, this is how I'd rank each deck

++ Garruk, Odric (Soldiers)
+ Ajani, Goblins, Chandra
+/- Liliana, Nefarox (Exalted)
- Talrand (drakes), Yeva (haven't really seen many playing that deck)

not sure about Jace, but he's probably not better than Liliana

Garruk >>> Chandra, Goblins/Odric >>> Liliana

deim0s

Lost my progress in the iPad.

The game started freezing and crashing a lot before the menu. So I deleted and re-installed - so much for backing up and syncing with iTunes.

bunbun777

I think Chandra might be the real deal but maybe its from seeing Hostility in a 4p own everyone. 9 3/1's with haste off one cast? Nastee, though I did just win a game with double exsangunate, rune demon to corruption with some tendrils and that 2/1 assassin. Was playing planechase with Ajani and celestial armor, got up to 685 life.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Garruk has absolutely crazy unlocks. He's a top tier player, I'm calling it now.

e: though the soldier deck is disgustingly powerful as well

right now, this is how I'd rank each deck

++ Garruk, Odric (Soldiers)
+ Ajani, Goblins, Chandra
+/- Liliana, Nefarox (Exalted)
- Talrand (drakes), Yeva (haven't really seen many playing that deck)

not sure about Jace, but he's probably not better than Liliana

Garruk >>> Chandra, Goblins/Odric >>> Liliana

Completely agree about Yeva.

The deck is completely baffling. There are powerful cards like Natural Order and some others as unlockable. The synergestic setups are there, Wild Pair and bouncing your own creatures, they just forgot to give the relevant creatures you would WANT to bounce every turn. The suite of options is really awful. Like best case scenario is setting up a soft lock with Acidic Slime land destruction but it takes forever to set up and you have no defenses to set it up.

Liliana is my deck of choice right now. There is just a boatload of removal and a fair amount of lifegain inside of that removal. The creatures are pretty lackluster, outside of the options at the end of the curve, but Liliana's Shade though is great as it's basically a Borderland Ranger that can get in for serious damage or as a solid defender.

I have no idea at all what Nicol Bolas' deck is trying to do. The two times I played him he only played landcyclers and other mana cards and some removal spells. That was it. Anticlimatic stuff :(

ultron87

Yeah, I want the Yeva's deck to be good but to just isn't there. If you can get to the point where you bounce a Thragtusk every turn it is hard to lose, but there aren't enough other cards to enable such shenanigans really. One thing it really needs is some ramp that isn't a 3 drop. (And two or three fewer forests. Sigh.)

Natural Ordering out a Terastodon turn 4 on the play to blow up all of their lands is pretty sweet I must say. Unfortunately searching your
Library for a specific card is super shitty on the iPad, especially if you are under time pressure in multiplayer.

smr00

Banned
Demolished the whole revenge campaign with fully-unlocked goblins in under 2 hours. Didn't lose a single game. This deck is so nasty.
I want to unlock it but for some stupid reason PS3 doesn't have unlock keys!??!

It's pissing me off because they said returning players get a free deck key which i didn't get which is odd since i own both DOTP and DOTP 2012 on PSN and XBLA, don't know if this is a sony issue or WOTC but they need to fucking fix this, guess it's what i get for getting the PSN version instead of XBLA this time /shrug

Top Bottom