• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 |OT| Tapping All Day

zethren

Banned
Picked up my promo pack just now:

Serra Avatar for the gf, Yeva's Forcemage, Unsummon, Pacifism, Volcanic Geyser, and Liliana's Shade.

I kinda of like Liliana's Shade, with all of the black mana ramp that seems to be going down in M13.

Well that's cool, but off to play the game now! lol

EDIT:

Also, if anyone got the Xbox 360 version and doesn't plan on using the promo code, I would love the code if you don't mind....(hate to "beg" for stuff). Hydras are my favorite tribe :p

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Any reason I should be getting this instead of continuing to play the 2012 version if I dont necessarily care about the latest card addons? The tapping is nice, but I didnt miss it too much in the videogames.

Calidor

I'm not liking much this new plane system. Archmage was way more fun

btw I have no use for the code (nor 2k12, which I also own), since I don't play paper Magic.

If anyone has a couple dota2 treasure keys I'll gladly trade them!

ultron87

Play challenge 3/4 then let me know if I fucked it up.
I beat that challenge. The rules went exactly as I expected them to.
Challenge 4 Solution:
Equip boots to other creature. Equip ring from troll to my guy for Trample. Re equip boots for Shroud. Attack. Destroy troll when it blocks with spell in hand.

Challenge 3 was pretty awesome.

Card Boy

Banned
If anyone is having any resolution and interlacing problems like me, just open the config.cfg file in directory and change some settings

[width]
[height]
[refresh]
[aa_mode]
[depth]
[fullscreen]
[reflections]
[language]
[quality]
[SFX]
[NumShadow]
[ShadowQual]

The default refresh rate for me was like 29. Change it to whatever your monitor is. I have to look into the shadow quality i left it on default for now. Also once you save the file change it to read only so the game doesnt try and change the settings for you again.

ultron87

The encounter decks don't follow normal rules. They are supposed to be a puzzle or deck test kind of thing.

The biggest value seems to be as a way to quickly unlock stuff.

Anilusion

If any of you bought the game and aren't interested in the actual card game, feel free to PM your promo code =) Active player and L1 judge!

Alucrid

Banned
So the last one I picked up was Dual of the Planeswalkers or whatever and before that I hadn't played the actual card game for a good four years or so. Are there a lot of new addons / changes / rules to this one?

Those encounters just use mostly the same cards over and over. Printed both my vouchers. If only my card shop wasn't closed today and tomorrow.
Want to tap my lands manually and the decks are mono colored or most of them are?

Piecake

How are the decks looking?

Played a lot of 2012, but unless the decks are great and the game has improved a bit, i think i might just wait for 2014 considering that that version will probably have even more cards/decks/customization

Minsc

Gold Member
So the last one I picked up was Dual of the Planeswalkers or whatever and before that I hadn't played the actual card game for a good four years or so. Are there a lot of new addons / changes / rules to this one?

There's a decent summary here of a few of the bigger changes.

Babalu.

oh. my. god.

I didn't know this was coming out so soon! I just saw this on the 360 dashboard and luckily had 800 points on the dot. Purchased in a heartbeat.

I loved the first two but hope they do expansion packs rather then single decks like what they did at the end of the last game.

Awesomeness.

Card Boy

Banned
The white deck is OP as f*** with the lifelinking. I was playing someone online, whipping his arse, he then leaves and the AI takes over and starts to own my arse. AI went up to 45 Life. Note to self never VS people that enable AI takeover.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Huh...in my Steam copy the main menu constantly scrolls to the left like I've got an input problem or something. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting my keyboard, restarting the game, and restarting my computer.

Tamanon

Banned
For the record, fuck that encounter with the "Win the game" enchantment.

And boo on the game for changing "return nonland permanent" to not work on enchantments.

Tamanon

Banned
Oooh, Helix Pinnacle? Also, if you were trying to bounce Helix Pinnacle it has Shroud I'm pretty sure

Ah, that's what happened. Guess they wanted to keep it from just letting the blue deck win easy. Thought they changed the rules.

Had to bust back out the green deck due to all the big beasties.

That Praetor puzzle is so silly. It's written so you can beat it by killing any of the Praetors - so somehow when you leave up Jin-Gitaxis he apparently draws nothing but blanks. Heh.

Card Boy

Banned
omg both Whites decks are OP as shit. Odrics Peacekeeps is OP, he just keeps summoning all these little creatures and Crusader of Odric is strong because of all the pissy little creatures (*/* = touch and power equal to the number of creatures you control)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
omg both Whites decks are OP as shit. Odrics Peacekeeps is OP, he just keeps summoning all these little creatures and Crusader of Odric is strong because of all the pissy little creatures (*/* = touch and power equal to the number of creatures you control)

The starter red deck has like half a dozen spells that do between 1 - 4 damage to all creatures on the board. It *crushes* Odric's deck.

Nicol Bolas is super cheap. Power nine cards. Ultimatums. Are you serious.

On the Helix enchantment encounter, I just went full out with Chandra's deck. Cloudpost is so broken when there is like 5 on the field.

The Primordial Hydra one was such a pain. Took so many attempts on that encounter alone.

ultron87

The starter red deck has like half a dozen spells that do between 1 - 4 damage to all creatures on the board. It *crushes* Odric's deck.
I just played 3 matches with Odric's deck against that deck. I can confirm that it can go rough. Though I would have won the first game if he hadn't top decked 4 burn/sweeper spells in a row while at 3 life. While my non land draws with an empty board were the white ring and an Anthem that would've been wonderful for making my dudes survive. Mumble mumble stupid Magic mumble.

It is probably good there is apparently no way to communicate with your opponent on iPad. Because I had words to say.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow thats a pretty damn big drawback.

I feel like this years PS3 version runs a lot smoother than last years, the UI is a lot nicer and the load times aren't as ridiculous. Maybe its just my mind playing tricks on me.

No it isn't your mind. It is hugely improved over '12. Which was dogshit in optimization on the PS3. It's also a lot quicker to load over '09 PS3.

Played the demo yesterday and had a bunch of fun. For someone who knows pretty much nothing about MTG besides playing it a few times with friends, how easy would it be for me to learn via this game?

I'll probably end up buying it regardless

Tamanon

Banned
I will say, I need to stop playing some of the matches like an actual Magic game. I have to break the habit of holding back creatures in case of Wrath of God when playing the Suntail Hawk guy, lol.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played the demo yesterday and had a bunch of fun. For someone who knows pretty much nothing about MTG besides playing it a few times with friends, how easy would it be for me to learn via this game?

Really easy. No matter what you think about these implementations, they are absolutely fantastic ways to learn the core mechanics and basic strategy.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I got about 8 of my coworkers hopelessly addicted to the real game by getting them to pick up 2012 on the cheap during a steam sale. It's a fantastic learning tool.

IMO, these games is the absolute best way to get into MTG.

bunbun777

So Im loving it so far. highlights:

grenko (?) the goblin king and my 50 plus goblins all with haste versus ajani and his whack life gain. goblins rule.

my one vampire holding off ajani's weak ass armada untill nightmare shows up and then that lovely 6/6 demon that completely wiped the board. brought out avatar of woe for funsiesz but it was over took about 3 rounds to cut down his 90 life.

planeschasing with everyone devouring themselves and getting 14/14, 16/16, then going to deathtouch and hiting first strike, it is heartbreaking sometimes the randomness of it, don't give up. seeing someoe kick a rebounded rite of replication on rune demon with multiple atacking clones, grabbing 15 cards.

summoning acidic slimes over and over and over, goodbye lands.

double blanchwood armor, trampletown, time warp imprints, whewwwwww and this is all first day stuff for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nicol Bolas is super cheap. Power nine cards. Ultimatums. Are you serious.

Did you play 2012? First time I played Karn his opening move was Sapphire Mox -> Sapphire Mox -> Tinker -> Darksteel Colossus

Very easy, its basically released as a product to introduce new players to the game.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm really enjoying the game on my iPad, but the Encounters are boring as fuck. I don't see any reason to include them outside of filler. -_-

Unrelated, how does multiplayer work on iPad? Do we add friends and such, or is it all random? It would be a lot of fun to get the iPad owners together for a GAF challenge.

Okay, Challenge #9 is frustrating me. Can someone tell me why this doesn't work? EDIT: Nevermind. You learn more about the rules every day!

1) Put Spectral Flight on Archaeomancer, making it a 3/4 flier.
2) Put Volition Reins on Ursapine, taking control of it.
3) Kick Rite of Replication on an opponent's Forest creature, making 5 forest tokens.
4) Swing with Archaeomancer, buffing it five times with Ursapine, using the 5 forest tokens, making it an 8/9 and easily killing my opponent at 6 life.

The game won't let me activate Ursapine's ability when I do this. Why not? Is the land token not allowed to tap for mana because it also happened to be a creature when I copied it?

EDIT: Yep, after some googling (re Dryad Arbor), apparently being a creature overrides being a land.

ultron87

I'm really enjoying the game on my iPad, but the Encounters are boring as fuck. I don't see any reason to include them outside of filler. -_-

Unrelated, how does multiplayer work on iPad? Do we add friends and such, or is it all random? It would be a lot of fun to get the iPad owners together for a GAF challenge.

Encounters seem mostly valuable as a means of unlocking stuff fast. The aggressive decks at least can really quickly blow past most of them.

It has Gamecenter support for adding and playing against friends. Or you can play against randoms. For a GAF list it might just be better to utilize the already existing spreadsheet in the iOS Boardgame megathread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468889 They've added a column for Magic to it.

I am kind of disappointed that Bolas didn't kill me on the second turn when I tried him. We had a long grindy game where he eventually just grinded me out.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Encounters seem mostly valuable as a means of unlocking stuff fast. The aggressive decks at least can really quickly blow past most of them.

It has Gamecenter support for adding and playing against friends. Or you can play against randoms. For a GAF list it might just be better to utilize the already existing spreadsheet in the iOS Boardgame megathread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468889 They've added a column for Magic to it.

Thanks - I didn't even think about checking that thread!

Tried planechase. I thought it was like Archenemy, but its a ffa. Lost the first few matches to Ajani, but when my Kenko was left alone, I just kept multiplying my goblins. Went to that Grand Ossuary plane where if a creature dies, its controller distributes a number of +1/1 counters equal to its power among any number of target creatures he or she controls. I had 60+ goblin tokens and smashed the other AI easily. My goblin piledriver alone did 145 damage to Garruk, lol. 237 damage done in a single turn. ;)

Mecha

Does the game have enough features for someone that already plays MtG online/locally? For me the biggest appeal seems to be the M13 cards, but I can get those next month.

Revan

I was a MTG player from years beyond (think Alpha/Beta/Unlimited/Arabian Nights era) and I haven't touched the game since Alliances.

Now that this is available on the app store for iPad I'm considering dipping into it for old time sakes....but what I want to know is this:

Are all the cards, from all sets, available to make decks with or is it only based on whatever the latest/most current cards are available?

ultron87

Does the game have enough features for someone that already plays MtG online/locally? For me the biggest appeal seems to be the M13 cards, but I can get those next month.

If you're already invested in Magic Online and playing on consoles/iPad doesn't interest you I can't really see that much of a reason to pick it up. Though I don't think it would be that hard to get 10 bucks worth of fun out of it. And if you get the PS3 version the promo card (Vampire Nocturnus) practically pays for itself.

I was a MTG player from years beyond (think Alpha/Beta/Unlimited/Arabian Nights era) and I haven't touched the game since Alliances.

Now that this is available on the app store for iPad I'm considering dipping into it for old time sakes....but what I want to know is this:

Are all the cards, from all sets, available to make decks with or is it only based on whatever the latest/most current cards are available?

In this it is a very specific set of cards organized into ten prebuilt decks that you can then customize a bit by swapping new cards in and out. They feature a lot of newer cards but also some old stuff. The decks are all listed here: http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx?x=mtg/digital/d13/decklists You can't build a deck from scratch.

If you want a game where everything is available and you can brew up decks however you want you'll need to look into Magic Online, but that has a much higher cost to really get going because you buy and trade for cards as if it was the paper game (though somewhat cheaper).

Top Bottom