• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I can see why the arrogant players don't like Modern: because they think they win on in-game skill and Modern is a lot about lucksacking and metagaming.

Brian Brain-Duin has an article on the same site that kinda made me sad. He sounds lonely and seems like he beats himself up a lot, e.g. he's like "I suck at limited and everyone knows it so I tried to be better but then I still lost."
Kibler hates a format where showing up with a deck you've only played for a week is a downside against a room full of players w/ experience in the format.

BBD got fucked by the SCG timing. He's stuck in Roanoke another year unless he can get out of his lease.
So when I draft a great deck and then lose to mana issues two rounds, it stings.
He sounds like you!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But I never even claimed to have improved at Limited

ironmang

god this goryo' deck is awful. went through 30 cards against infect without finding a single monster. not scapeshift tier of "see this card or you can't win" but it's close enough.

ironmang

I draft a deck and never have mana issues. Has never happened ever. I know exactly what mana to pack, I shuffle well.

Sounds like you're doing something like pile shuffling and not presenting a sufficiently randomized deck. That or you hardly ever play limited.

Haines

Banned
In my fnm limited so far i always hit at least 1 game of being mana screwed. Flood doesnt usually hurt too much unless its like turn 5 to 10

If its like 1 out of 8 games or whatever it doesnt bother me too much.

ultron87

Oh boy, Burn. Thanks, Pro Tour Gauntlet.

I mean it is a deck I've never played before, so that's cool. Probably one of my last choices on the list.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh boy, Burn. Thanks, Pro Tour Gauntlet.

I got burn, won game one, then I played Through the Breach and ragequit because he had Turn 2 Emrakul swinging.

Turn 2-3 Emrakul swinging is the purpose of the deck. Somehow it is legal.

I don't think this is a good way to showcase the format o_O

ultron87

I screwed up my literal first turn of the game because I overthought Wild Nacatl and fetched a Sacred Foundry because I was like "oh, I should get a mountain and a plains." I'm an idiot.

sgjackson

Sounds like you're doing something like pile shuffling and not presenting a sufficiently randomized deck. That or you hardly ever play limited.

anecdotally i feel like i have way fewer mana issues in live limited games than i ever did when i regularly played online, to the point where i looked up research on how often you should shuffle to sufficiently randomize a deck (it's about 7 shuffles for a regular 52 card deck of cards, so i figure that number is more than fine for 40). i usually pile shuffle once to make sure my card count is right then do seven riffle shuffles after that.

Yeef

Christopher Rush has died as well. :(
Oh, wow. That's pretty big. :\

If I'm not mistaken, he's the one that designed the mana symbols.

234.jpg

Geez. I feel blessed to have finally met him for the first time at GP Vegas last year...and to have gotten his signature on 8 lightning bolts and 1 All Hallow's Eve. He was a suuuuuper nice and cool guy, he was telling me how he almost got a tattoo the night before as a result of too much drinking. He seemed in perfectly good health to me...I wonder what happened?

RIP.

Joba62x

Neo Member
I met him at GP Orlando about 2ish years ago, was the highlight of my weekend for sure, I got a Lightning Bolt Print signed and had a Black Lotus drawn in paint pens on one of his blank token cards. They will always be displayed on my magic shelf, RIP Chris.

Chris Rush news is awful. R.I.P. :(

Anyway, did Zendikar get obliterated or not? Seems a bit vague from you guys' posts.

All the stuff that got turned into Wastes, the cities destroyed, the 80% of the population that got eaten, etc. are all still ruined, but the heart of the plane is still alive so it's gonna start regrowing over the damage.

I bet some new Eldrazi titan comes into being whenever one is killed, to fill the void left by it or whatever. So Jace and friends will have different titans to fight the next time Wizards wants to do an Eldrazi set.

Yeah I figure it's basically even odds on "new tians are born" and "planes start to get fucked up" as the consequences of blowing up Eldrazi.

Chris Rush news is awful. R.I.P. :(

All the stuff that got turned into Wastes, the cities destroyed, the 80% of the population that got eaten, etc. are all still ruined, but the heart of the plane is still alive so it's gonna start regrowing over the damage.

Yeah I figure it's basically even odds on "new tians are born" and "planes start to get fucked up" as the consequences of blowing up Eldrazi.

I don't know, I think the fact that Emrakul is still on Innistrad makes it plausible that Ulamog and Kozilek were legit killed with no further consequences. There are plenty of other storylines and villains to draw from, and the Eldrazi aren't even completely gone. Storylines have to end some time.

I read Owen's article and it doesn't seem nearly as salty as I expected from what y'all said about it. Taking it at face value I think it's all accurate: it's a turn 4 format where mulling to the right broken card is vitally important and excessively cheap/free stuff is everywhere; the decks almost inevitably lean towards ultra-linear and ultra-fast; it's much more fun and appropriate in shorter bursts or more casual tournaments than top competition.

I don't know, I think the fact that Emrakul is still on Innistrad makes it plausible that Ulamog and Kozilek were legit killed with no further consequences.

For all that people talk shit about their storytelling, this would be a whole 'nother level of bad. Literally the entire plotline of the last year was about setting up that someone old who knows how the multiverse works is around again and that he knows people have to be careful about unintended consequences. If Ugin says that killing them will have consequences and then it just doesn't because ~surprise~ then it makes him look like a chump and pretty much anything that isn't Jace's winning smile pointless.

Like it's really not that it's bad to kill some of the Eldrazi on its own, it's that they've specifically gone out of their way to say that it's a bad idea to do that, so now they need to pay that off.

Angry Grimace

They reiterated in today's story that Jace knew it was a bad idea that contradicted what Ugin told him but that he had no other choice.

OnPoint

For all that people talk shit about their storytelling, this would be a whole 'nother level of bad. Literally the entire plotline of the last year was about setting up that someone old who knows how the multiverse works is around again and that he knows people have to be careful about unintended consequences. If Ugin says that killing them will have consequences and then it just doesn't because ~surprise~ then it makes him look like a chump and pretty much anything that isn't Jace's winning smile pointless.

Like it's really not that it's bad to kill some of the Eldrazi on its own, it's that they've specifically gone out of their way to say that it's a bad idea to do that, so now they need to pay that off.

I couldn't agree with this more. There needs to be a consequence for ignoring Ugin's warning or else he's plainly just a fool. I don't need to know the reason right away. But I do need to know it eventually. And if they go the route of "Ugin wanted to use them for his own nefarious scheme! Muahahaha! He's really a villain!", then I will stop caring about the Official Fiction altogether.

They reiterated in today's story that Jace knew it was a bad idea that contradicted what Ugin told him but that he had no other choice.

Yeah, that made me happy because it means at least it isn't just ass-over-elbows incompetence and that they actually intended to pay off the stuff they set up.

I couldn't agree with this more. There needs to be a consequence for ignoring Ugin's warning or else he's plainly just a fool. I don't need to know the reason right away. But I do need to know it eventually. And if they go the route of "Ugin wanted to use them for his own nefarious scheme! Muahahaha! He's really a villain!", then I will stop caring about the Official Fiction altogether.

Ugin as a secret villain would be the lamest ever.

Death of a Legend, his Su-Chi is probably my favourite magic art ever

There's a lot of great Chris Rush pieces I'm remembering now.

196.jpg
121.jpg
173.jpg
117.jpg
52.jpg

So many of his pieces have just spectacular use of color and space.

Ashodin

one of my favorites:

mewtwopsywave

I loved that they asked Rush, a normally fantasy artist, to do a Pokémon.

Rathi Dragon is fucking awesome btw

bigkrev

Ihsan's Shade was the piece of Magic art that first caught my eye when I saw some cousins playing the game, and made me decide to try playing the game for myself.

RIP

Jeez, 2016, haven't you already taken enough big names? :( R.I.P.

My favorite Chris Rush art was his reinterpretation of Brass Man he did for a Magic calendar. I wish I had a link but I don't...

109.jpg

One of the most striking pieces of Magic art I can remember. There were some of these floating around in the cheapo card bin at my LGS when I was a kid, they always stopped me in my tracks when I flipped to one. Rest in peace Christopher Rush, you will be missed.

ironmang

Some of these gauntlet lists seem so bad. It's pretty obvious after the PT that burn really needs a card like ensnaring bridge to compete at all with the T2 4/4 or 5/5s.

Burn is probably the worst "tier 1" deck I've played in any format ever. Nacatl or not, atarka's command or not, soon as you write "lava spike" on the deck reg sheet you better be prepared for a boring ass time.

noquarter

Damn, sad to hear about Chris Rush. Was probably the first artist whose name I came to recognize Magic, so much of his art just looked so good.

One of my favorite Forest arts, run the unlimited copy in my draft box

G.ZZZ

Damn, sad to hear about Chris Rush. Was probably the first artist whose name I came to recognize Magic, so much of his art just looked so good.

That forest is amazing yeah. He had such a good dark style. Of all the old things that are back in style, why isn't classical fantasy drawings back? I'd kickstarter that.

That forest is amazing yeah. He had such a good dark style. Of all the old things that are back in style, why isn't classical fantasy drawings back? I'd kickstarter that.

Couldn't agree more. I think it has something to do with the fact that it is way more expensive to commission art this way. I'm not sure. But the old art in Magic is vastly superior to me, though I am biased since I've been playing since 94. I love the way the old art looked...I rarely even give the new art close consideration these days as it all looks generic to me.

Damn, Christopher Rush. :(

When I think of Forests I think of his art.

Couldn't agree more. I think it has something to do with the fact that it is way more expensive to commission art this way. I'm not sure. But the old art in Magic is vastly superior to me, though I am biased since I've been playing since 94. I love the way the old art looked...I rarely even give the new art close consideration these days as it all looks generic to me.

You and everyone else. Modern magic art is more consistent and tends to lack the real stinkers that we once saw, but it also lacks any character and you don't see the same amazing art pieces either. It also tends to have no sense of fun.

Jhriad

Avaricious Dragon - dollar copies still on Amazon vendors, with Madness coming next set, it may be a thing.

If you're speculating on AD I'd be just about as interested in Erebos's Titan as a spec target since it enables Madness and it works well enough with that spoiled 1 CMC Zombie creator/graveyard hate spell. It helps that it's available at similar bulk mythic prices.

Angry Grimace

So anyone think Drana will see more play in SOI standard? She's really good for the 3 mana she costs in my experience playing a deck interested in attacking where double-black isn't prohibitive.

Jhriad

Titan is a weird anti-control card.

I also don't do spec, I just grab cheap playsets.

It's a 5/5 going into a set with discard/self mill mechanics that can be returned from the graveyard for close to free using Shamble Back. Or you could do something like Lightning Axe for R, Discard Erebos's Titan, then Shamble Back the creature you just killed to put Erebos's Titan into play on Turn 2. 7 power and toughness on Turn 2 across two bodies sounds decent. If the creature you killed was their only body it's now Indestructible as well. I think it's going to potentially be more playable than as just an anti-control card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom