• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Teferi is invincible due to getting stuck in a time-dilation zone.

Ob Nix has been mono-black 4 times.

Garruk is almost assuredly coming back, although he's G/B at this point.
He's invincible? What?

I know MaRo has said that regarding Ob. I just don't feel like finding the quote, and besides, he says a lot of crap lol

I meant never coming back from being cursed. Sorry, should have been more clear.

kirblar

Hasbro call confirmed that there's something digital with large investment (aka MTGO 5.0) in development for 2017.

I would suspect they've finally outsourced it given the expense level involved.

bigkrev

Ob Nix is mono black to the core
Koth is still mono-red
I guess it doesn't seem like Garruk's coming back to be green again, but oh well
Tamiyo is probably still blue and I seriously doubt Teferi is going to be depowered forever

Seems unlikely that Nahiri is still mono white.

Koth has been gone for 5 years now. I don't think he's coming back.
And yes, like everything in Magic, Blue has an abundance of Planeswalkers when, for better or for worse, they already have the most popular one that will probably be the focus of Magic storytelling in perpetuity.

Probably going to sell off my Khans/Fate soon, I doubt I'll be excited about Standard until SOI drops. I don't play Modern so is selling my fetches a good/bad idea? And am I dumb for thinking Jace might dip in value once the fetches rotate?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They probably should let you drop from drafts early if your draft is a trainwreck so you aren't making 7 other guys wait around

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think Squee is actual invincible though

there's a lot of characters who are either invincible or unaging by various mean (Teferi, Squee, Jhoira)

OnPoint

I know it doesn't have her name on it, but isn't she depicted on Sleeper Agent?

Dunno how her fans feel about that. Probably the same way Urza fans feel about this:

Image.ashx

Ashodin

Yeah we'll never get a retroactive Urza planeswalker card

Unless the Raven Man turns out to be a time spiral'd evil Urza

MTGO Pro Tour Gauntlet decks

1st Jiachen Tao: Blue-Red Eldrazi
2nd Ivan Floch: Colorless Eldrazi
Top 4 Patrick Dickmann: Affinity
Top 8 Frank Lepore: Blue-Black Eldrazi
9-1 Matthew Rogers: Archangel Chord
8-2 Vagner William Casatti: Burn
8-2 Reid Duke: Jund
8-2 Ari Lax: Abzan Company
8-2 Michael Majors: Zoo
8-2 Thien Nguyen: Red Green Valakut
8-2 Kentaro Yamamoto: Through the Breach
7-2-1 Paul Rietzl: Mardu
7-3 Joel Larsson: Death's Shadow Aggro
7-3 William Jensen & Owen Turtenwald: Infect
7-3 Jason Chung: Blue Moon
7-3 Jelger Wiegersma: Jeskai Control

Pretty good variety, albeit with three Eldrazi deck types.

Angry Grimace

lol "red-green valakut" but they didn't go with Robots

Maybe if he wasn't a weak-ass fool who got corrupted by Phyrexia, he could have.

I guess I'm pretty loose on my memories of Urza's lore. How did he get his spark then? Did it have something to do with the Mightstone and Meekstone?

Well if Urza hadn't been a snob and went to save his brother instead of sipping tea while doing politics after he got enslaved they might not have gone to war and tinkered with phyrexian machinery to result in basically everyone dying and the spark in the powerstone moving into Urza.

Urza was the one triggering the explosion which wasn't particularly nice to his army and the people living there.

absolutely useless commander

actually you can for instance play eggs sacrifice them while the ability is on the stack and return them from the GY. That's just one possible shenanigan he's quite the combo commander.

Ashodin

Well if Urza hadn't been a snob and went to save his brother instead of sipping tea while doing politics after he got enslaved they might not have gone to war and tinkered with phyrexian machinery to result in basically everyone dying and the spark in the powerstone moving into Urza.

Urza was the one triggering the explosion which wasn't particularly nice to his army and the people living there.

actually you can for instance play eggs sacrifice them while the ability is on the stack and return them from the GY. That's just one possible shenanigan he's quite the combo commander.

NM I found this http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...der-decklists/576170-mishra-artificer-prodigy amazing MTGS thread where he can combo shenanigans with possibility storm and other silly shit which sounds fun as hell to play with

OnPoint

Urza being a turd before getting his spark (and arguably after) was what made him a compelling character to me. He had vast power and huge ambition but he struggled with how to maintain his agenda without running over the people around him. And while his plan ultimately worked, he failed the same way he always did in the interpersonal department. Those flaws, to me, made him something deeper than your average good guy.

Urza being a turd before getting his spark (and arguably after) was what made him a compelling character to me. He had vast power and huge ambition but he struggled with how to maintain his agenda without running over the people around him. And while his plan ultimately worked, he failed the same way he always did in the interpersonal department. Those flaws, to me, made him something deeper than your average good guy.

Well he wasn't exactly a good guy until after he got his spark and did some soul searching

Angry Grimace

They got blown up for taking this out but keeping Melira in on twitter.

They probably decided the deck that the average person probably doesn't know how to play was a bad inclusion no matter how well it did unless it actually top 8'd

Ashodin

Just think, we could have had amazing adventures with Kamahl, the Druid (would have been the OG Green or Red/Green Planeswalker).

Koth has been gone for 5 years now. I don't think he's coming back.

Put aside that Rosewater tells anyone who will listen that every planeswalker character will come back; you have a character whose entire thing is defending his homeland of Mirrodin from the Phyrexians, and we don't see him again when we haven't gone back to that plotline? Seems pretty straightforward why this would be.

Slobad at least got himself a card, unlike a certain female human that'd have fit perfectly since blue never got a proper legendary in either Mirrodin block

Bruenna not getting a card was the weirdest thing.

If we're talking about book characters who really should have gotten cards, Xantcha is my number one pick.

I've had a big list of these characters for ages, and Xantcha and Gix are on top of it.

Agree Kamahl should have got the spark.

Don't agree that Urza was wrong :p

That's fine I'm just biased because I love Mishra's card so much.

Just think, we could have had amazing adventures with Kamahl, the Druid (would have been the OG Green or Red/Green Planeswalker).

Don't make me sad.

Put aside that Rosewater tells anyone who will listen that every planeswalker character will come back; you have a character whose entire thing is defending his homeland of Mirrodin from the Phyrexians, and we don't see him again when we haven't gone back to that plotline? Seems pretty straightforward why this would be.

Bruenna not getting a card was the weirdest thing.

Which is a shame Koth has zero artifact synergy and would bring some much needed none chandra planeswalking and diversity to the cast.

I was looking forward to a Bruenna card as a 10/11 year old when I was reading the books. Wizards has been a disappointment since.

Toxi

Banned
Yep.

Sure beats the hell out of Gerrard or Nissa.

I've had a big list of these characters for ages, and Xantcha and Gix are on top of it.
I wonder if Gix didn't happen because Urza block was during Wizards of the Coast's "no Demons" phase.

Though they probably could have just made him a Horror instead.

Ashodin

Urza had a lot of social awkwardness. He interacted with you, but it wasn't as a person, it was as a means to an end. When Gerrard and Urza fought for Yawgmoth's amusement, Gerrard was so pissed off at Urza being so impersonal and aloof.

Angry Grimace

The biggest reason I hate playing against 4 color company is that every time I fucking play some asshole on the deck he topdecks Reflector Mage to remove Kalitas. Every. Fucking. Time.

Oh, and the fact that it "lol plays 4 colors because WOTC is fucking dumb and failed to figure out that fetchlands + duals was dumb as dogshit"

The biggest reason I hate playing against 4 color company is that every time I fucking play some asshole on the deck he topdecks Reflector Mage to remove Kalitas. Every. Fucking. Time.

Oh, and the fact that it "lol plays 4 colors because WOTC is fucking dumb and failed to figure out that fetchlands + duals was dumb as dogshit"

Duals that get better as the game goes on*

You can fetch up shocks in the late game, but if you need them to use that turn, you need to pay 2 life.

Santas get better in the late game 100% of the time, with their downside fading away. Fetch into Shock untapped turn 5 is a bolt, Fetch into Santa is a lovetap.

Angry Grimace

Reflector Mage is pretty awesome though

It's mostly just tilting in combination with Collected Company and the Rally deck because there are only so many things you can even do to interact with their specific gameplan and surprise Reflector Mages at all times is sadface. It would be way less annoying if Rally couldn't just say "fuck it I'm playing blue also" so they could get it both it and Jace and all of the black green and white cards at the same time.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Duals that get better as the game goes on*

You can fetch up shocks in the late game, but if you need them to use that turn, you need to pay 2 life.

Santas get better in the late game 100% of the time, with their downside fading away. Fetch into Shock untapped turn 5 is a bolt, Fetch into Santa is a lovetap.

ff6OZH6.gif

Angry Grimace

The third point of toughness on Reflector Mage is something they'll be kicking themselves over for a while.
Sam Black asked them and they said Reflector Mage wasn't tested in constructed by development. That's not really a problem beyond the fact that they failed to recognize the existence of 4 color graveyard shit. The card's not nearly as swingy without the shenanigans you can get up to when you have no restriction on what cards you can play.

Firemind

Angry Grimace

Probably going to sell off my Khans/Fate soon, I doubt I'll be excited about Standard until SOI drops. I don't play Modern so is selling my fetches a good/bad idea? And am I dumb for thinking Jace might dip in value once the fetches rotate?
The next block has Madness in it and he's a repeatable source of free discard that turns into a Planeswalker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom