• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 Ally Encampment
4 Battlefield Forge
7 Mountain
4 Needle Spires
7 Plains
4 Bone Saw
2 Captain's Claws
3 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 Magmatic Insight
4 Monastery Swiftspear
3 Oath of Gideon
2 Reckless Bushwhacker
2 Ride Down
2 Roast
4 Stone Haven Outfitter
2 Stoneforge Masterwork
4 Weapons Trainer
2 Wild Slash
Sideboard:

3 Hallowed Moonlight
2 Relic Seeker
2 Ride Down
2 Secure the Wastes

My Boros Equipment deck. I'm eagerly looking at SOI for new additions.

Why no Sword of the Animist? It helps to get land out/online, which can be useful for fixing.

I'm thinking about running this B/R eldrazi aggro deck for game day this weekend. Anybody got any feedback?

23 Land
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Corrupted Crossroads
2 Crumbling Vestige
5 Swamp
4 Mountain
2 Ruins of Oran-Rief
2 Sea Gate Wreckage
2 Smoldering Marsh

22 Creatures
4 Bearer of Silence
4 Dominator Drone
4 Eldrazi Obligator
4 Flayer Drone
4 Forerunner of Slaughter
2 Hangarback Walker

15 other spells
2 Duress
4 Ghostfire Blade
1 Kolaghan's Command
2 Murderous Cut
3 Roast
3 Wild Slash

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know LSVs set review said that if you cast Flaying Tendrils with Kalitas out its a nonbo, except isn't it just two competing replacement effects? Doesn't the controller of the effect choose which one will apply?

Or is it the controller or the affected permanent?

All these rules!

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It bothers me that Wizards considers it necessary for there to be a cohesive art style within a block. Which is just dumb.

it's not even necessarily the case that it's 'within a block'. mtg card art at the moment just has a pretty monotone style in general. like i have only just recently gotten back into paying attention to mtg after about a decade, and to my eyes the cards basically have no stylistic variation. they might as well have all been illustrated by the same artist. whoever they are, they're a pretty good artist, but they don't take very many risks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the most judge calls I have had to make involved Totem Armor.

Lucario

WTF

I'm in the second round of an MTGO league, and the MATCH FUCKING RESTARTED. I had lethal on board next turn. The game replayed itself in fast-forward a bunch of times, then finally reset with both clocks at 25:00.

Ashodin

You know LSVs set review said that if you cast Flaying Tendrils with Kalitas out its a nonbo, except isn't it just two competing replacement effects? Doesn't the controller of the effect choose which one will apply?

Or is it the controller or the affected permanent?

All these rules!

614.15. Some replacement effects are not continuous effects. Rather, they are an effect of a resolving spell or ability that replace part or all of that spell or ability’s own effect(s). Such effects are called self-replacement effects. The text creating a self-replacement effect is usually part of the ability whose effect is being replaced, but the text can be a separate ability, particularly when preceded by an ability word. When applying replacement effects to an event, self-replacement effects are applied before other replacement effects.

Flaying Tendrils is a non-continuous exile effect. It "ends" when the turn ends. Thus, it's a self-replacement effect, and takes precedence before Kalitas (an "always on" effect) can do his thing.

Angry Grimace

Flaying Tendrils is a non-continuous exile effect. It "ends" when the turn ends. Thus, it's a self-replacement effect, and takes precedence before Kalitas (an "always on" effect) can do his thing.
I looked into it and it is not a self-replacement effect. It is a continuous effect but the affected object's controller chooses which applies.

A replacement effect modifies the effect of the spell itself but Flaying Tendrils doesn't care if the creature dies to Tendrils or something else later in the turn.

Lucario

Update: Now that my game has restarted, my mind stones have red watermarks. Not sure why.

My opponent's client also froze when they tried to cast World Breaker.

28TlkO3.png

Update 2: I cast a matter reshaper, and it disappeared. The mana's out of my mana pool and the Mimic ability is on the stack, but there's no Matter Reshaper in play.

I've been considering lately, and especially with this new theory about the MTGO client getting good...

... to convert my card collection (everything but EDH and maybe modern Jund and Legacy Miracles / Jeskai Stoneblade) into MTGO decks.

I just don't go to FNM anymore or other events and I feel like I'd get to play a lot more Magic if I were invested into MTGO.

Angry Grimace

The MTGO client is pretty decent now. Sure, sometimes it fucks up like the guy above me is showing but I play a lot of MTGO and I personally have never had a game breaking error. Just a deck submission error once or twice over the past couple years.

I think I've asked for a reimbursement twice since ~Born of the Gods.

Also:

twitch.tv/lsv

Six picks in, LSV has a Stone Haven Outfitter, a Hedron Crawler, and 4 Bone Saws.

Update: 6 Bone Saws.

Ashodin

I looked into it and it is not a self-replacement effect. It is a continuous effect but the affected object's controller chooses which applies.

A replacement effect modifies the effect of the spell itself but Flaying Tendrils doesn't care if the creature dies to Tendrils or something else later in the turn.

hmmmmmm

Angry Grimace

It means the affected objects controller chooses which effect applies. Unless your opponent is dumb, pick Tendrils lol

I built Mardu Green hoping I could be Mardu Guy for game day. Playtesting has not been kind to me. Hilarious things that have happened:

2 Goblin Dark-Dwellers in hand, 1 red mana on board

Crackling Doom x2, Abzan Charm x1, Transgress the Mind x1, Siege Rhino x3 in hand, finally stablizing vs. G-Eldrazi, Worldbreaker takes out my only black mana, Sanctum gets a Bane of Bala Ged on cast trigger.

I finally win a game with only 3 land left in my entire deck (probably 30 or so total left), I look at my top cards? 2 lands coming.

I am not Mardu Guy. Mana hates me way to much to be Mardu Guy.

I'm not sure if I should bring my allies deck to game day, though. It's great against single target removal suites, but sweepers are ROUGH for me. I also have a G-Ramp deck and 2 different takes on Bant Comapny. One is like the SCG runner up list. The other is a displacer/reflector mage/wall of resurgence combination in addition to shenanigans. The only problem with the latter is that you need to use painlands in it to make the colorless mana. I can post lists for any.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This is the list I'm taking to game day, the SB is not final yet, so recommendations would be nice.

MonoGreen Eldrazi.dec, Built with Decked Builder
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/160020

Anyways, I play-tested against Rally and this deck completely wrecks it. Even with good starting hands by them, turn 3 thought knot, into turn 4 thought knot or reality smasher is back breaking. Then once you get up to 7 lands, you destroy their mana and you win. I think I went like 7-2 in the match up, taking every set.

Then tried against his B/R Dragons deck and it was more even, but I pulled ahead in that matchup too.

I really like this deck.

Angry Grimace

of course I got fucken burn again fuck this earth

If you like playing this deck you fucken suck stop playing magic its just spikey grinder shit

lupin23rd

Is that format really causing spikes? I noticed Typhoon shot up a decent amount.

Did Serendib Efreet shoot up because of this format as well? I want to put together a commander deck that is all old cards (not necessarily 93/94 sets) and looked at getting this card in Arabian, and it's like $170. Fortunately I don't really have any issue playing with foreign black border cards but it would be nice to have the original.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Did Serendib Efreet shoot up because of this format as well? I want to put together a commander deck that is all old cards (not necessarily 93/94 sets) and looked at getting this card in Arabian, and it's like $170. Fortunately I don't really have any issue playing with foreign black border cards but it would be nice to have the original.

People are questioning whether these spikes are really due to Magic 93/94, but it seems patently obvious if you are shopping around for any of these older cards right now. Supply is dwindling like never before and prices are spiking like crazy overnight. All the ebay auctions for playable cards mention "93/94" somewhere in their title or description. Serendib Efreet is played in at least one of the more successful decks in the format, so yes that's got to be playing a part in it shooting up.

If you're like me and love older Magic cards, the sudden appearance of this format is either making your current collection skyrocket in price or making you very sad because you can no longer afford to pick up cards from that era. Or both. I'm not sure whether these spikes are merely temporary or if some of these cards are going to end up settling at their new prices even after this format collapses in on itself. ie: do I scour ebay auctions for $50-70 Thunder Spirits now or do I wait and hope they fall back down to forty bucks?

Angry Grimace

93/94 is nonsense for rich nerds who apparently huff paint in their spare time

I really don't understand someone who willingly signs up for a long tournament with the intention of casting lava spike all day.

I kind of like playing burn decks. I see them as a puzzle on how to best sequence your plays so you kill them before they kill you. There's also the advantage that most matches don't take very long; this aids you in a long tournament by conserving brain power for where it really counts, like against a weenie deck like Merfolk, where every single spell you play requires deliberation on whether to point it at a threat or at their face.

Then there's the fact that it's not hard to build a competitive budget version of burn if you're willing to give up a fetchland mana base.

y2dvd

This is the list I'm taking to game day, the SB is not final yet, so recommendations would be nice.

MonoGreen Eldrazi.dec, Built with Decked Builder
http://decks.deckedbuilder.com/d/160020

Anyways, I play-tested against Rally and this deck completely wrecks it. Even with good starting hands by them, turn 3 thought knot, into turn 4 thought knot or reality smasher is back breaking. Then once you get up to 7 lands, you destroy their mana and you win. I think I went like 7-2 in the match up, taking every set.

Then tried against his B/R Dragons deck and it was more even, but I pulled ahead in that matchup too.

I really like this deck.

How does it do in the mirror? I went away from the mana dorks and towards Ruin in Their Wake due to mb Kozilek's Return. I've also been trying out Conduit of Ruin over Oblivion Sower and have been pleasantly surprised by it.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I really don't understand someone who willingly signs up for a long tournament with the intention of casting lava spike all day.

"I want to win. Burn is good at winning." Not hard to understand tbh. Other folks want to win via biggest durdle. Those people don't want to win, they want to feel smart for 30 minutes of their lives. They probably work at Krogers.

Angry Grimace

"I want to win. Burn is good at winning." Not hard to understand tbh. Other folks want to win via biggest durdle. Those people don't want to win, they want to feel smart for 30 minutes of their lives. They probably work at Krogers.

Except most people, even those who have $1000+ Modern decks, are more of casual tryhards than just grinders who want to win at all costs. And, sure, there are guys who want to win at all costs even in a super expensive format: its just like Infinite Combo Guy in EDH, really. That's kind of the problem with Modern - the format is as good as your meta is.

All I'm saying is that a little part of you - the part of your soul that feels joy, and love, and hope - dies a little every time you write "Lava Spike" on a deck registration list.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Except most people, even those who have $1000+ Modern decks, are more of casual tryhards than just grinders who want to win at all costs. And, sure, there are guys who want to win at all costs even in a super expensive format: its just like Infinite Combo Guy in EDH, really. That's kind of the problem with Modern - the format is as good as your meta is.

All I'm saying is that a little part of you - the part of your soul that feels joy, and love, and hope - dies a little every time you write "Lava Spike" on a deck registration list.

Before I bought into modern in paper, I'd play Burn when the meta got grindy. I loved seeing the look of annoyance in their eyes, followed by the dark realization that their durdly control decks stuff with all the best blue cards (BLUE IS FOR SMART PLAYERS) would do nothing. The salt. The salt was great.

...this probably explains why my A1 deck of choice is Infect.

Angry Grimace

Added to the list of cards PV has asked to be banned from Modern:

8th Edition, 9th Edition (entirely), Mox Opal, Eye of Ugin, Inkmoth Nexus, Simian Spirit Guide, Gitaxian Probe, Lantern of Insight (despite the fact that his request for 8th Edition to be removed would completely eliminate Lantern as a deck), Goryo's Vengeance.

Angry Grimace

That's putting it lightly.

I can at least understand Owen's specific frustrations on Modern- there are things in the format pushing it to be too fast right now because they didn't dig out enough rot years back.

Ancestral Visions being banned gets more and more comical by the day. It starts with so many time counters that the game is almost always over by the time it would resolve.

That said, I would be willing to put money that Ancestral Vision is unbanned whenever Eye of Ugin gets banned. Even Forsythe has basically admitted AV isn't busted at all and they need to soften the blow of brand new decks being banned.

Ancestral Visions being banned gets more and more comical by the day. It starts with so many time counters that the game is almost always over by the time it would resolve.

That said, I would be willing to put money that Ancestral Vision is unbanned whenever Eye of Ugin gets banned. Even Forsythe has basically admitted AV isn't busted at all and they need to soften the blow of brand new decks being banned.

Wow, you're not the only one putting money on it. I just checked, and Visions has spiked from $8 to nearly $20 in the past two weeks

Angry Grimace

Wow, you're not the only one putting money on it. I just checked, and Visions has spiked from $8 to nearly $20 in the past two weeks

Which is silly because I don't think Visions is all that good. I mean, I would jam that shit in Faeries, but I wouldn't expect it to make the deck magically competitive.

Angry Grimace

You could cast Ancestral Vision with GDD.

Sure, you can, but I don't think that interaction is nearly as busted as you'd imagine given that you cannot cast AV to put it in the GY at all other than to suspend it. I mean, you can also cast basically Armageddon with GDD from the graveyard and that isn't itself is mostly a comedy play.

Daedardus

Which is silly because I don't think Visions is all that good. I mean, I would jam that shit in Faeries, but I wouldn't expect it to make the deck magically competitive.

I'm not a pro player or an expert in competitive play, but I also think Visions is good but fair. The way I see it is that it is an obvious advantage, but one at a time that is hard to predict. By the time it resolves the board state can be completely different and you can't cast it in response if you start losing the game. You'd have lost before the last counter gets removed. It's also a risk to draw if you risk a game loss next turn since it is completely useless. It can help to promote control though in a game where they need the extra cards to play the longer game. I think with the current metagame it'd bring more balance instead of warping the format alltogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom