• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This might be the Wayne Reynolds-iest art I've seen in a long time

Cc0PlnpWAAAeJYY.png

Not that that's nessecarily a bad thing

G.ZZZ

That's such a nice card. Could even be playable in standard, and potentially limited bomb depending on how many equips there are around.

EDIT: end step transform? that demand lightning greaves PogChamp

traveler

Not Wario
Alright, what's the busted piece of equipment they're going to drop to justify all the plants in BfZ, Oath, and now SoI? Most of the stuff we have going into rotation is junk.

Larger size of Declaration in Stone from Jacobsen's twitter:

cc0vtowvaaau6ntrpslz.jpg

I pointed out some of the really clever compositional tricks going on here:

tylerjvms9n.png

I like seeing this kind of illustration the most, where the artist clearly spent a significant amount of time in planning using a very classical skillset. Karla Ortiz's Liliana(both sides) and Jason Raineville's Oracle of Dust are other good examples from MTG.

G.ZZZ

Jace's Hood 2
Legendary Artifact - Equipment
Equip : 0
Equipped creature has Hexproof and "whenever this creature deal damage, draw a card".
Did you think all planeswalker artifacts would suck? Well, think again - Jace "Stu" Beleren

noquarter

Wow, that EFro article is pretty bad. Can believe he wrote that people should scoop to pros for future benefits. Really dislike all of that kind of thinking, you should always play to win.

Although I will concede ot people at FNM sometimes just because I think they have a better chance of getting a pack, or they are new and excited and I drafted a jank deck. Those people never expected for me to concede to them though, they just get the benefit.

I once beat a player at a prerelease, then signed the match slip with me losing since I had to leave early and I wanted him to be live for prizes. So there are definitely cases where I'm okay with "incorrect" match results. But I would never ever ever expect that person or anyone else to the me special consideration because of what I did that one time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I once beat a player at a prerelease, then signed the match slip with me losing since I had to leave early and I wanted him to be live for prizes. So there are definitely cases where I'm okay with "incorrect" match results. But I would never ever ever expect that person or anyone else to the me special consideration because of what I did that one time.
I did that and then conceded in response to my own lethal attack so it was "legit".

Alright, what's the busted piece of equipment they're going to drop to justify all the plants in BfZ, Oath, and now SoI?

Kaladeshi Goodstuff Hat, ca. Fall 2016

Why is it unenforceable?

Because it's impossible to actually watch every match (or even get close) even in the highest level of play, it's impossible to enforce at all in a match you can't watch from beginning to end, it's especially impossible to enforce based on assumptions of how specific results coincide with benefits to specific players, and even if you could enforce it in those cases you absolutely can't enforce it in GPs or PTQs this way and it's impossible to have this kind of rule for the PT only when the majority of competitive play does not.

Really dislike all of that kind of thinking, you should always play to win.

I don't think there's actually anything wrong with scooping people in, just with expecting it or making it a quid pro quo.

hoooooo shit

Cc1AiIXWIAQmpQh.jpg

f22d5acf31594499a70ada7cf0e11d83.png

EDIT: SUCK IT AVACYN NAHIRI TRUTHERS

EDIT 2: This finally unambiguously confirms that there are two checklist cards, which makes it pretty cool that we got the common/uncommon one but didn't get any of the surprises spoiled from the rare one.

Perfect if the backside would have been black I couldn't have put her into my boros angels deck and I have enough token generators to flip her despite only playing angels. Also should keep her somewhat cheap.

I like this Avacyn. Way more interesting than Avacyn 2.0.

Avacyn 2.0 can protect you which is nice. Still need Avacyn 1 though.

I'll have to buy FTV angels apparently.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hooooly shit

Love her

Probably constructed playable too right?

I think its clear at this point that Avacyn isn't Nahiri, Sorin just based his angel on her because he's a creeper

With Baneslayer Angel, you could probably (not really) make the argument that it wasn't strictly better than Serra Angel due to the lack of vigilance, but this Avacyn is just plain way better. (Unless losing vigilance on the back half is a deal breaker)

It's interesting how her ability works so that you can't trigger the transformation on the same turn she enters, in most cases.

While the back half is red, the card is really monowhite, so I'm unsure if the damage is in color. I guess it's a variation of a Wrath effect.

BTW, Shadows of Innistrad trailer is up in case anyone wants more evidence of Emrakul: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GopkHUg2XCY

I like this Avacyn. Way more interesting than Avacyn 2.0.

Yeah Avacyn 2 feels kind of tacked on, this is cool and unique and spot-on tells the story they want to tell. Definitely grabbing a copy for Kaalia.

Hooooly shit

Love her

Probably constructed playable too right?

Depends a lot on the environment, obviously, but front-side Avacyn 3 is definitely pretty solid. The flip is just a bonus.

I think its clear at this point that Avacyn isn't Nahiri, Sorin just based his angel on her because he's a creeper

It was clear ages ago but now it's no longer even arguable. :p

Yeef

Avacyn is pretty insane. Flipping her seems rather easy even with what's already in standard. There's sure to be more ways in the set as well.

[EDIT] Here's a better quality image:

tumblr_o3lg4rETJ11u9beo8o1_1280.png

SoI should probably go up ASAP just to distract from shitty other formats.

No kidding, Modern has sucked on stream. It's bad, because Gabby/Marshal/LSV in the booth is great, but they're covering the ever interesting "Eldrazi vs. The World", which even Wizards Coverage seemed to be getting tired of.

The faster that they can get away from 4 Colour Standard and Eldrazi Modern, the better.

El Topo

No kidding, Modern has sucked on stream. It's bad, because Gabby/Marshal/LSV in the booth is great, but they're covering the ever interesting "Eldrazi vs. The World", which even Wizards Coverage seemed to be getting tired of.

The faster that they can get away from 4 Colour Standard and Eldrazi Modern, the better.

The SCG coverage where Eldrazi dominated their Modern event was pretty funny at times, although you could tell it was really annoying (and not particular fun) for the commentators. I'll be glad once the bans are done.
"And now we're going to the match between XYZ and ABC."
"It seems XYZ has 130 tokens in play, compared to ABC, who has only 118."

Wichu

So if two non-Angels die, you get two delayed triggers, and Avacyn transforms, then transforms straight back. I wonder whether that's intentional.

OnPoint

So if two non-Angels die, you get two delayed triggers, and Avacyn transforms, then transforms straight back. I wonder whether that's intentional.
Would that work even though the trigger is looking for a different name? I could be wrong, but I don't think it does transform back. Can anyone clarify?

Wichu

Would that work even though the trigger is looking for a different name? I could be wrong, but I don't think it does transform back. Can anyone clarify?

Yes. It's still the same object. From the rulings for Ludevic's Test Subject:

9/22/2011: It's possible (though not advisable) to activate the ability of Ludevic's Test Subject enough times in response to one another that a resolving ability places a fifth hatchling counter on Ludevic's *Abomination*. If that happens, it'll transform back into Ludevic's Test Subject.

Unless they change the transform rules, Avacyn will work the same way.

not sure where this came from originally yet:

635928041250440201.jpg

Assuming it's all real and everything, that suggests that Tamiyo is both alive and still around, which leaves us with a challenge: which one of

Jace
Liliana
Sorin
Tamiyo
Arlinn
Nahiri

won't get a PW card?

not sure where this came from originally yet:

635928041250440201.jpg

Assuming it's all real and everything, that suggests that Tamiyo is both alive and still around, which leaves us with a challenge: which one of

Jace
Liliana
Sorin
Tamiyo
Arlinn
Nahiri

won't get a PW card?
Jace can fuck off for a block. We need another Blue planeswalker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom