• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
"Jace; in the Hall; with a Bone Saw" is objectively the best one. ;)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Avacyn in general is pushed as fuck. That card is going to cost way too much money.

bigkrev

Heh, deck tech with a Amulet deck using Skyshroud Ranger and Sakura Tribe Scout instead of Bloom/Azuza
And using Knight/Retreat for its main kill/engine

Angry Grimace

Full foil Jund deck, all expeditions and judge foils.

Avacyn in general is pushed as fuck. That card is going to cost way too much money.

Yeah. People will be afraid to try to kill anything when their opponent has 5 mana up in white because you just know your opponent will have Avacyn in hand. So then you get blown out on your removal, and in addition your opponent gets a serra angel with a built in weenie board wipe. Or you flash it in during combat to turn trades into one sided victories. The card is just has so much fucking value.

Angry Grimace

...marked as judge in the Wal-Mart packs? What?

CNMf4sN.jpg

noquarter

I wish I had the luck of running into a nice pack like that at WalMart. Last year people were finding the Holiday card in there as well.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I once saw a heroin addict shooing up in one of the toy aisles at a Wal-Mart. Not really the same thing, but pretty close.

Archangel Avacyn is pretty comical in the Eldrazi Displacer+Brood Monitor combo deck.

I just realized it's an instant kill if you keep bouncing the monitor in reaponse to the transform trigger.

So now you can play the deck without relying on the underpowered cutthroats.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";197712513]Archangel Avacyn is pretty comical in the Eldrazi Displacer+Brood Monitor combo deck.

I just realized it's an instant kill if you keep bouncing the monitor in reaponse to the transform trigger.[/QUOTE]

Read Archangel Avacyn again.

I've never met anyone who likes him as a main character. Ever.

Unless you're some kind of creepy weirdo who immediately interrogates every Magic player you meet on their Jace preferences I am confident this is incorrect.

...marked as judge in the Wal-Mart packs? What?

WotC prints all of their promos for the year (or quarter, or whatever) in one big batch, so stuff gets misplaced. We found out about the Rishadan Port promo because it accidentally turned up in a pack of WMCQ Thalias. Or we saw these same blister packs with Stocking Tigers up front last year too.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";197713091]Not sure what I'm missing? Machine gun transformations already exist in Thraben Sentry.

I guess its next upkeep so you don't need to respond but still.[/QUOTE]
No, what that means is your combo doesn't work.

You can't get the transform trigger or the flip side trigger multiple times a turn.

Re: delirium vs. threshold:

quincognito asked: Can you tell us anything about why Delirium is okay when Threshold isn't?

We actually tried Threshold in design, but it didn’t play well. Delirium had a similar feel but wasn’t as easy to trigger and required more interesting deck construction choices.

I feel vindicated in my commentary! Surprised they were actually willing to consider just putting Threshold and Madness in and going whole hog with the Odyssey 2 thing, though.

You can't get the transform trigger or the flip side trigger multiple times a turn.

Under the rules today, the trigger should stack up repeatedly, and the "transform {name}" part refers to the card on both sides (though it looks like that rule will change with SOI.)

I really really like this LSV+Gaby (i think thats her name) pairing for the commentating.

Yeah, they're great (or, as Reddit would have it, awful because GURLZ NO.)

Angry Grimace

Re: delirium vs. threshold:

I feel vindicated in my commentary! Surprised they were actually willing to consider just putting Threshold and Madness in and going whole hog with the Odyssey 2 thing, though.

Under the rules today, the trigger should stack up repeatedly, and the "transform {name}" part refers to the card on both sides (though it looks like that rule will change with SOI.)

Yeah, they're great (or, as Reddit would have it, awful because GURLZ NO.)

Edit: Oh wait, we're talking about blinking the Brood Monitor, okay, I see what you're saying. But yeah, I do not expect that the transform triggers will stack like that given it says to transform Archangel Avacyn, and not Evil Avacyn - I would have to check the rules on that, that seems pretty obscure. In any case, I'm fairly certain they're not going to let you stack multiple instances of transforming Archangel Avacyn regardless of how you do it.

Edit: Oh wait, we're talking about blinking the Brood Monitor, okay, I see what you're saying. But yeah, I do not expect that the transform triggers will stack like that given it says to transform Archangel Avacyn, and not Evil Avacyn - I would have to check the rules on that, that seems pretty obscure. In any case, I'm fairly certain they're not going to let you stack multiple instances of transforming Archangel Avacyn regardless of how you do it.
They might change it, but right now that's how it works.

Angry Grimace

PV's talking about Lantern in a deck tech and his secret Pyxis of Pandemonium sideboard tech.

In any case, I'm fairly certain they're not going to let you stack multiple instances of transforming Archangel Avacyn regardless of how you do it.

Yeah, at first I thought it was even odds whether they changed it or not, but then I noticed that Archangel Avacyn's trigger isn't a "may" and there's no way the card will actually do what that'd suggest.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Jace mystifies me.

I've never met anyone who likes him as a main character. Ever. And yet he's clearly the face of Magic, and pushed far more heavily than any other planes walker. We know wizards focus group and market tests these things out the wazoo so clearly there's a ton of Jace fans out there.

I've just never met one.

truly the lucario of mtg

Angry Grimace

I don't mind Jace that much. He just has the most broken card because his mechanical identity is everything broken about blue.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the more we learn about shadows the less likely it seems that emrakul is involved tbh.........maybe killing the titans instead of trapping them again caused some kind of multiverse badness but nothing about it screams ELDRAZI

OnPoint

the more we learn about shadows the less likely it seems that emrakul is involved tbh.........maybe killing the titans instead of trapping them again caused some kind of multiverse badness but nothing about it screams ELDRAZI

I wasn't really on board, and I kind of still hope it's something else, but:

Emrakul is the Titan of Corruption, the largest and most fearsome of the Eldrazi. She does not affect unliving matter - rocks, water, etc...but twists all things living, be it plants, animals, or sentient beings. She causes silent terror wherever she soars, embodying desolation, emotional and physical distance, the chill of the void, and the terror of being alone.

- MTGSalvation Wiki

It's pretty likely it's Emrakul in some way, even if Emrakul isn't there. The Emrakul/Moon theories do seem sound...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I wasn't really on board, and I kind of still hope it's something else, but:

It's pretty likely it's Emrakul in some way, even if Emrakul isn't there. The Emrakul/Moon theories do seem sound...

That's fair, but did Emrakul do anything like that on Zendikar?

traveler

Not Wario
Cheon on CFB was coming down on the modern eldrazi situation pretty hard, and said it'd be awful but potentially possible to see 3 eld in all the top 8s this weekend. Didn't even need to be that conservative. :/

Santiako

There's no reason to fuck around. Ban both Temple and Eye and guarantee that it's gone forever.

I think it will still be a tier 1 deck after they ban the lands, probaby in the form of Eldrazi Tron or something similar, the creature base of Mimic, Thought Knot and Reality Smasher is just amazing even at 2/4/5 mana, it will just be a slower, more fair deck.

ironmang

I think it will still be a tier 1 deck after they ban the lands, probaby in the form of Eldrazi Tron or something similar, the creature base of Mimic, Thought Knot and Reality Smasher is just amazing even at 2/4/5 mana, it will just be a slower, more fair deck.

I could see 1 or 2 TKS in Tron lists but not really any of the others from the eldrazi decks. Wurmcoil and Karn are just too good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Banning both is a severe over-reaction. It's still allowed to be a T1 deck, and since mana ramping is still a legit strategy and considering Tron lands are allowed, Temple remaining would be just fine. What can't be allowed is infinite, scalable mana ramping that allows for free spell casting on T1. Eye is the problem.

With only Temple, Spreading Seas/Molten Rain strategies would actually be viable. Without Eye, Thought-Knots couldn't always come down before reasonable counter strategies, Mimics couldn't come down for free, Displacers couldn't cost one and repeatable tutors couldn't be a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom