• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Looks like we're getting another Sigarda card at some point (she's the only one left protecting the Humans.)

They're hinting really hard at a W/B mythic angel also. Technically she's dead, but I doubt that's actually true.

Crocodile

There's art of all three in the article, even, so I'd guess we'll be getting corrupted Bruna and Gisela as well.

Also: interesting story detail about how there was a fourth (white-black) angel in the group who Avacyn destroyed.

Sigarda has brand new art int he article, the other PowerPuff Girls have their old art. That suggests, though not confirms, that only Sigarda is getting a new card.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did they explain why they're going rogue?

No. I wouldn't expect them to given that Jace, Master Detective isn't even on the plane yet.

I never considered the lack of a W/B Angel to be an unfinished cycle but it kind of is, sorta. There's a WWW angel, a WWG angel, a WWU angel and a WWR angel.

ultron87

Did they explain why they're going rogue?

It suggest that hedrons, and therefore Nahiri, are involved.

Everything in front of her doubled. The trees, the mother and child, each blade of grass. Doubled, and then doubled again. A pounding ache ran through her head and she dropped to the ground, crumpled in pain. A field of white flashed through her eyes, followed by an image of many floating stone obelisks with intricate runes carved into their sides, moving in concert with each other...and then a normal scene resumed in front of her. Avacyn whipped her gaze around to identify the source of the attack. Few vampires had ever been powerful enough to launch such an assault. A demon lord, perhaps...

I think you're right on Bruna (though that looks more like spell art than creature art), but I'm not sure that's Gisela. Maybe though.

Yeah, that Bruna art doesn't quite look as "mythic angel creature" as the Sigarda art and possibly Gisela art does. Or at least it is clearly very differently styled.

I just need more red and white angels all other colours might as well not exist for angels.

Really disappointed with only the 2nd mono red angel being wasted on an intro pack rare.

Angry Grimace

It suggest that hedrons, and therefore Nahiri, are involved.

Yeah, that Bruna art doesn't quite look as "mythic angel creature" as the Sigarda art and possibly Gisela art does. Or at least it is clearly very differently styled.

I would be surprised if they went full AVR and had an entire cycle of part-white angels again. But it's possible they could just be mono-colored in their off-colors.

I think you're right on Bruna (though that looks more like spell art than creature art), but I'm not sure that's Gisela. Maybe though.

It's less clear than the spell (which is 100% Bruna) but I'd be surprised if it isn't. Anyway, my point is, if Sigarda (the one angel who doesn't seem to be changing particularly) is getting a new card they'll almost definitely do them for the two lieutenants who are actually turning bad.

kirblar

Image.ashx

Suddenly this card makes a lot more sense.

pigeon

Banned
Taking a second stab at Sorin.

Made it a little less broken, took some suggestions about the first ability. Also made the ultimate a bit more flexible.

Needs to be "if a creature damaged with this ability dies this turn." Also a +4 ability is still absurd, especially because he can eat his own dudes.

Make it a 0 ability with +2 if the target dies and it's much closer to reasonable.

Cranial Extraction from play is not that great an ultimate.

If you really want to show his vampiric side, make his ult something like "-9: Exile target permanent. Put 10 loyalty counters on ~." Once you get his ult moving he just keeps growing.

Angry Grimace

It's less clear than the spell (which is 100% Bruna) but I'd be surprised if it isn't. Anyway, my point is, if Sigarda (the one angel who doesn't seem to be changing particularly) is getting a new card they'll almost definitely do them for the two lieutenants who are actually turning bad.

I mean...it makes sense that Sigarda is unaffected by Ray of Command. She has hexproof.

(in fact, I bet you that this is totally going to be true - hexproof on creatures isn't usually justified by nothing, particularly legendary ones that are story important)

There's 3 flights of angels we know about: Flight Goldnight, Flight of the Heron and Flight of Alabaster. There's already a card spoiled called Angel of Flight Moonsilver, so maybe that's the W/B one? Or is that Avacyn's own flight (it doesn't sound like she actually has one given that she's just a sole creation of Sorin Markov)

635929423495517509.png

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm...the story's gripping, but Avacyn having 'just the right moment of doubt' with the 'mysterious undercurrent' that is Emrakul's prompting, it feels...odd. Fanatacism has already been a thing with angels, idk...there's no...nuance, to it? Like, what's the point, might as well just nuke the entire plane to be sure...though it likely aligns with Nahiri's goals.

Also feels weird in that theoretically, unless Nahiri/Emrakul is supplying Avacyn with power directly (as seems to be the case, to be fair), Sorin could just...unmake her when he returns?

I'm curious on how Sigarda is able to resist Emrakul/Avacyn when Gisela and Bruna weren't....related to her in-game hexproof ability, perhaps?

The 'dead' angel sister consorting with demons sounds somewhat overly similar to Lili and her situation insofar that I imagine the latter will be involved in that aspect, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.

tch

Evil Avacyn still seems pretty white in the story.. She's all about restoring order and purity. Not really sure why her flip side is mono-red.

Angry Grimace

Evil Avacyn still seems pretty white in the story.. She's all about restoring order and purity. Not really sure why her flip side is mono-red.

It's because red is probably the right color for "completely insane but not inherently evil" because black would imply something way different.

I mean...it makes sense that Sigarda is unaffected by Ray of Command. She has hexproof.

Oh man you're totally right. That's actually kind of great.

There's 3 flights of angels we know about: Flight Goldnight, Flight of the Heron and Flight of Alabaster. There's already a card spoiled called Angel of Flight Moonsilver, so maybe that's the W/B one?

The only example we have so far is a white angel that gets a black angel ability (from Fallen Angel) when you hit Delirium so it seems like a good bet.

Or is that Avacyn's own flight (it doesn't sound like she actually has one given that she's just a sole creation of Sorin Markov)

Yeah based on this story Avacyn is totally outside the normal angel ecosystem of Innistrad.

Angry Grimace

It would make me laugh if they reprinted Sigarda, Host of Herons given that in the current environment there's basically no way to actually kill it since it isn't like you can cast Supreme Verdict.

Toxi

Banned
She's Red because she's become completely controlled by her impulses and stopped doing what she was made to do.

Angry Grimace

bearer of silence

Read Sigarda again lol

Oh man you're totally right. That's actually kind of great.

The only example we have so far is a white angel that gets a black angel ability (from Fallen Angel) when you hit Delirium so it seems like a good bet.

Yeah based on this story Avacyn is totally outside the normal angel ecosystem of Innistrad.

I'm sort of thinking it might just be Avacyn's renaming of the existing flights under her own command since Avacyn's signature weapon (which had a card in AVR) is a Moonsilver Spear.

Metroidvania

One interesting aspect to the Moonsilver angel (likely Avacyn's appropriation of the previous angel's flight, or the establishment of a new one) is that unlike other 'polearms' shown so far, she doesn't share either the normal or twisted 'symbol' of Avacyn - though that could just be because it's an 'axe' motif, rather than a spear.

'Let them all burn' is much more an insane/red concept. Only reason I imagine it isn't black is because she's being twisted against her 'will', as such.

edit: Beat multiple times, that'll learn me to not refresh lol

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Is there a summary around or am I going to have to actually read something more than two paragraphs long?

Sorin make Avacyn.
Avacyn good.
Grislebrand bad.
Magic happens.
Helvault hold good and bad.
Monsters run rampant.
Thalia is dumb.
Break vault.
Avacyn fuck up monsters.
Peace!
[Nothing happens]
Emrakul* escapes Zendikar.
Goes to Innistrad.
Angels go crazy.
Start killing all humans.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Metroidvania

Is there a summary around or am I going to have to actually read something more than two paragraphs long?

Avacyn is working, feels content, etc..she gets called to save a kid, but during the saving, gets exposed to bad visions and either hedron-juju or Emrakul-juju (also conveniently sees the mom get angry at the kid for running off) - starts going 'humans are pieces of shit too, fuck 'em'.

She infects/conscripts Gisela and Bruna, Sigarda's gonna fight back. (also backstory of Avacyn killing a consorts-with-demons angel who was PPGs' sister)

3 out of 4 Angel flights start the great cleanse of Innistrad.

Edit: Plus that earlier Innistrad stuff too, yeah :p

Edit2: Also, just realized that with the constant 'flowing metal' aspect of Avacyn's spear that its much more likely Nahiri than Emrakul, at least at this stage. I feel silly for not recognizing this earlier, lol

Angry Grimace

Magic Story - Avacyn is Evil Now

* Avacyn has mostly been flying around around Innistrad doing random chores and such. She's kind of aloof and whatever and doesn't understand human emotion very much. She hears a prayer to save some kid who wandered off in the forest so she goes to save him. When she gets back she is struck with some kind of vision of "obelisks with runes carved on them." (they're not described as specifically looking like hedrons, but its from Avacyn's point of view, so they could just be those liths we've seen) She suddenly starts to notice people are kind of assholes and kids are pretty gross. She flies off thinking how shitty people are.

* Skips over to a story about a priest whose faith in Avacyn is wavering because he doesn't know if she's actually a god or worth worshipping. As a result, Avacyn herself shows up and he gets all happy but then she starts saying a bunch of threatening things to him about how she's lost faith in HIM; he pisses himself.

* Skips to a story about a werewolf whose curse was cured by the Cursemute. He's settled into a happy life as a blacksmith with his family now that the curse has abated. His house is oddly destroyed, but he mostly notices that his family keeps telling him not to answer the door. It turns out this is all in his mind and the curse came back and he murdered them all. He's super upset and an angel shows up and immediately murders him.

* Sigarda is floating around doing friendly angel shit when Bruna and Gisela show up, obviously having been converted to evil and apparently ready to fight Sigarda. Sigarda reminisces that Sigarda, Gisela and Bruna are all "sisters," but Avacyn was something else that just showed up one day. There was also a fourth "sister," (presumably a W/B one) that would often make alliances with demons and such; Avacyn apparently killed the fourth sister and banned mention of her name. Sigarda is regretful that she didn't stop Avacyn from killing the fourth sister. Avacyn herself shows up and starts spouting off about how humans are the real evil and if the angels kill them all the world would be pure. Sigarda thinks this is some wacky shit and starts preparing to fight Avacyn (even though she admits she's get wrecked in a fight with her). But instead Avacyn just tells Sigarda she'll one day be converted like Bruna and Gisela were and instead of fighting, blows up Sigarda's house and flies away. Sigarda is just like "well fuck" because she doesn't think anyone else is around that could realistically fight Avacyn.

* The woman who lost her child from the first story is looking for her child who got lost again when she notices that angels approach the village and are looking might evil today. She sends her kid into the woods again when Avacyn shows up and starts murdering everyone. She's pretty interested in murdering the kid too, but the woman sent it away. Story ends with Avacyn relishing the thought of murdering everyone.

Toxi

Banned
Magic Story - Avacyn is Evil Now

She suddenly starts to notice people are kind of assholes and kids are pretty gross. She flies off thinking how shitty people are.

Avacyn herself shows up and starts spouting off about how humans are the real evil and if the angels kill them all the world would be pure.

Story ends with Avacyn relishing the thought of murdering everyone.
Avacyn, Angel of Edge

Angry Grimace

The new art of Bruna looks like something I'd expect to see with the old-school gold frame.

Toxi

Banned
can they stop it with the angel poses? Pretty please.

Is it a race trait that they like showing of their inner thighs?
The stock "one leg bent forward and the other leg straight back" pose is absurdly overused for angel artwork, but so far we've only seen one example of it in Shadows Over Innistrad.

OnPoint

I thought the Sigarda abilities keeping her from being affected thing was super obvious... also it's really cool. I kind of hope she's the hero or one of the heroes in this story.

I wonder if they'll bring back the "forbidden" BW angel, especially given the "forbidden" mechanic they were going to use in AVR and then didn't. I also wonder if they will destroy then recreate Avacyn as BW because of 'balance' or some shit.

You mean the one new piece of art with said pose? Not the 6 others without it?

I count at least 3 or 4.

The stock "one leg bent forward and the other leg straight back" pose is absurdly overused for angel artwork, but so far we've only seen one example of it in Shadows Over Innistrad.

Hence the poses, even a lot of the other art showcases the same area in various different poses. And the one with an angel looking to be standing has the most ridiculous boob armor in a while. Nothing against boob armor, stylistic choice and all, but those look like missiles.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I count at least 3 or 4.

Hence the poses, even a lot of the other art showcases the same area in various different poses. And the one with an angel looking to be standing has the most ridiculous boob armor in a while. Nothing against boob armor but those look missiles.

Okay, well do you playa. I can't even begin to care further.

No-one except the Gatewatch \:D/

Thank god for teenagers with attitudes!

Angry Grimace

I thought the Sigarda abilities keeping her from being affected thing was super obvious... also it's really cool. I kind of hope she's the hero or one of the heroes in this story.

I wonder if they'll bring back the "forbidden" BW angel, especially given the "forbidden" mechanic they were going to use in AVR and then didn't. I also wonder if they will destroy then recreate Avacyn as BW because of 'balance' or some shit.

Given that Forsythe already explained what Forbidden is, that usually means they abandoned it entirely. Maro does hope he can use it, but I doubt they'd have said that right before a set came out with the mechanic in it.

Toxi

Banned
Hence the poses, even a lot of the other art showcases the same area in various different poses. And the one with an angel looking to be standing has the most ridiculous boob armor in a while.
Not seeing what you mean. Two of the angel arts we've seen so far are above the waist. Avacyn's poses on both sides don't really accentuate her thighs.

Yeah, the standing angel has boob armor, but that's kinda a different topic from what you're talking about (The stock angel pose seen on tons of different MtG cards).

Okay, well do you playa. I can't even begin to care further.

I always have to chuckle when someone mentions "playa".

Not seeing what you mean. Two of the angel arts we've seen so far are above the waist. Avacyn's poses on both sides don't really accentuate her thighs.

Yeah, the standing angel has boob armor, but that's kinda a different topic from what you're talking about (The stock angel pose seen on tons of different MtG cards).

It's the general overexposure to angel crotch areas that bother me, especially when so many angels have great art without wearing some sort of steel bikini or kneesock armor. I don't particularly have a problem with boob armor if it looks practicable still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom