• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Molotov

In bird speak we refer to this as a dick move

T6GKWSG.jpg

JulianImp

Talking about RoboRosewater's random cards, I'd say Path of Bone is quite elegant and perfectly on-color (although it could've worked as WG or mono-W with a different name or theme) despite the awfully restrictive mana cost.
CZbip-FWwAE0Fay.jpg

As for the other two less advanced neural networks, I kind of liked Agemental Beat, Craecher Feel and Malesar's Goblin out of the latest cards. It's always fun to see what new random card pops up each day. Even some of the more cluttered and random cards could be cleaned up into viable cards, such as Cloud Hound.

OnPoint

CcU4aWgWEAAz7Je.jpg

C'mon man. This one is fucntionally the best. Crimm is so hard to deal with.

Edit: Yeef... lol

Second edit:

Cbrrqs8UEAAmasU.jpg

This actually seems weirdly playable.

JulianImp

Abe is fucking hilarious

It specifying two separate discards means everyone gets to see what the others discarded for their first card before deciding which card will be their second one, and the "if you do" at the end implies that you need to be able to fulfill the second discard clause to get Abe back into your hand. It's definitely on the wackier side of things, but it's certainly another cool card.

OnPoint

It's only a matter of time until we get to see the real deal, so let's start getting fanciful.

Ability one: I wanted him to have a vampire ability that made him stronger
Ability two: I wanted him to be not fucking around
Ability three: Gotta reference him doing away with Avacyn, and him not having control over her anymore

It's probably too good. It's probably not what they're going to print. It's probably unrealistic. But whatever, it's fun!

OnPoint

that card looks TERRIBLE (also I don't think we can post fake cards right now)

I'll take it down if they want me to.

You think it looks terrible? I figure unconditional creature kill + big loyalty gains is good (possibly OP depending on the target?), and making two Vampires is also pretty good. Maybe he should start with 5 loyalty or the minus should be one less?

Still, I've at least corrected. Usually I post made up PWs in here and they're called overly broken. So I'm starting to figure out the range at least.

Vampires without flying.......

Yeah...

sorin-lord-of-innistrad.jpg

Xis

It's only a matter of time until we get to see the real deal, so let's start getting fanciful.

Ability three: Gotta reference him doing away with Avacyn, and him not having control over her anymore

It's probably too good. It's probably not what they're going to print. It's probably unrealistic. But whatever, it's fun!

+0: Murder a dude and put a ton of loyalty counters on this *might* be a little too strong.

OnPoint

+0: Murder a dude and put a ton of loyalty counters on this *might* be a little too strong.

Haha see? This is what I'm talking about. Maybe make it "Deals X, gains 1/2 of X in loyalty counters" or something? I dunno. It's a tough ability to nail down, but I feel like they should highlight his vampirism more creatively.

Haha see? This is what I'm talking about. Maybe make it "Deals X, gains 1/2 of X in loyalty counters" or something? I dunno. It's a tough ability to nail down, but I feel like they should highlight his vampirism more creatively.

0: Creatures you control get +X/+X, first strike and "whenever a creature dealt damage by it dies, put a loyalty counter on Sorin Whatevs" until end of turn, where X is the amount of loyalty counters on Sorin Whatevs.

That's vampirey

Santiako

Just saw all of yesterday's new cards. Holy shit, the set is looking so awesome. The art is on point, the flavour is all there, the mechanics seem fun, just great all around so far.

ultron87

-3 Exile a creature you control: Creatures you control get +x/+x where X is that creature's toughness.

Because he kills Avacyn and people get happy or something.

Xis

Maybe call back to the old Sengir vampire ability -
+0: Deal 2 damage to target creature. If that creature dies this turn, put 2 loyalty counters on this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

This is the most broken card in the universe

Magic Duels screenshot shows what appears to be one of those common/uncommon ETB tapped lands, this one tapping for W/B. It looks like there will be an enemy-colored cycle in SOI.
CdC8TB3UAAE5TqV.jpg

MTG Salvation is saying the name could be Abandoned Sanctuary.

Weird cycle to finish, but I guess I can understand why.

Firemind

+2 Each player discards a card. You gain 3 life for each creature card discarded this way.
-X Exile X target cards from a graveyard. If a creature card is exiled this way, you may put it onto the battlefield under your control instead if its power is X or less. That creature is a black Vampire in addition to its other colors and types.

Ashodin

You think it looks terrible? I figure unconditional creature kill + big loyalty gains is good (possibly OP depending on the target?), and making two Vampires is also pretty good. Maybe he should start with 5 loyalty or the minus should be one less?

The physical look of the card looks terrible.

My opponent killed me with Tajuru Pathwarden and Plated Crusher when I had Aligned Hedron Network out of the sideboard because I mulled and missed my 4th land. Shockingly close game despite playing like 3 cards. Also, I think people really undervalue Voracious Null.

Anyway, there goes my refund tickets.
:p

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't say as a whole I've been a fan of the way they've printed lands recently. There are definitely some color combos that are straight-up better than others, which is an annoying, basically arbitrary deckbuilding restriction. Example: if you want to play an Eldrazi Deck in Standard, you are far better off with Enemy colors/colorless than Allied/Colorless because we only have half of the painland color combinations. That was actually why I was half-heartedly hoping for Allied Filterlands. Because I tried to brew up a UB Eldrazi deck (there are several different

The new Sorin is probably going to do the same shit Sorin 2 and Sorin 3 did. I mean, Sorin 3 was a ridiculously similar riff on Sorin 2.

4UB

+2 Put a 2/2 Black Vampire token with flying onto the battlefield.
-4 Target player's life total becomes 20.
-10 You get an emblem that says, "Whenever a creature comes onto the battlefield under your control, target player sacrifices a creature."

[5]

JulianImp

Dealing X damage, where X is a creature's toughness is really weird since it reads exactly like "destroy target creature". I believe the targeted creature can't even by saved by pumping its toughness since X's value would only be set upon resolution, but damage prevention would help (even though I think damage prevention is a lot rarer nowadays). It giving Sorin ridiculous amounts of loyalty on top of unconditionally killing creatures for free every turn is the cherry on top, IMO.

Angry Grimace

Here's my fake Sorin (complete with pack art)

YbsTPrd.png

I don't think this feels all that in flavor for BW. The first mechanic is kind of clunky (and the option to treat it as a loot is not in color, really) and getting to a one-sided board wipe the second turn you have it out is potentially overpowered even at 5 mana. Even Elspeth or Chandra dont' just kill your opponent's entire board and none of yours.

Given that Sorin's been pretty solidly BW, I don't expect him to be particularly tribal-themed given that Vampires are black/red on Innistrad.

With Birdies in the same standard rotation

nonbo with wingmate roc

V_Arnold

Maybe as an ultimate, make all your vampires in your graveyard come back to the battlefield with haste, and exile all your non-vampires from all graveyards.

Ashodin

All my Sorins are in Ayli

As well as all my board wipes lol

(The idea of the deck is to keep the board wiped while you gain life then exile frenzy with Sorin tokens)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom