• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they don't change their behaviour after a reminder, remind them you can call the judge over.

You can trade Dust Bowl for JTMS now?

giphy.gif

The expedition I got. They are roughly the same price atm.

Reading the meltdown on Reddit and other sites people have is quite entertaining. Sucks for the to lose their deck though it's not like banning splinter twin made their cards worthless in one swoop.

red13th

It's Wizards. They will make all powerful cards Mythic, put ten interesting cards at rare and make all commons shit. Then they'll ask $15 for a booster because 'increased value of the cards'.

Yeah I don't doubt that, but they could still put powerful cards at rare that are actually pretty cheap due to bans. Unless they upgraded too many commons/uncommons like they would certainly do with Wasteland and FoW.
Also, it's still a great excuse to look at old cards and see what is and isn't on the reserved list. Vampiric Tutor isn't, but Sarcomancy is. :p

Didn't do to hot at my prerelease event. Pulled a Chandra and Inverter of Truth, but ultimately went with a Red/White Allies deck. Wasn't a bad deck, just didn't get the cards I needed to. Still had a fun time, just curious what the outcome would have been if I ran a smaller Red/Black deck rather than a meaty Red/White deck.

Dysun

Didn't do to hot at my prerelease event. Pulled a Chandra and Inverter of Truth, but ultimately went with a Red/White Allies deck. Wasn't a bad deck, just didn't get the cards I needed to. Still had a fun time, just curious what the outcome would have been if I ran a smaller Red/Black deck rather than a meaty Red/White deck.

I had the same luck with a Red/White allies deck. Didn't pan out too well, only won one game where my opponent kept drawing lands

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My prerelease deck was so fucking busted lmao.

2x Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
3x Oath of Jace (I only played one, but got scry value all day long)
1x Guardian of Tazeem
1x Nissa's Renewal (this is busted beyond belief with the Guardian)

I basically won like 50% of games by just dropping Nissa turn 3.

I lost one game all day, to a guy splashing Dragonmaster Outcast while I kept a 5 lander.

I ended up in 4 Colours thanks to my pool's biggest playables being Black first, followed by Blue/Red. It was.. Interesting, to say the least. Couldn't use my promo because I got Zendikar Resurgent, which is just all kinds of fun.

Haines

Banned
I played blue black, colorless, with walker of wastes endbringer and that copy cat 8/8 7 drop i had a good deck with maybe almost too good of mana fixing

Came hime and i made what looks like a really good blue white fliers deck that i think would have did better as it had more minions. Im pretty sure it was a wrong choice to go black when white was stronger over all.

I also made a white red agro deck, which could be good but i havent played magic enough to understand its agro and know whats good.

I took pics of cards laid out. What site do i use so i can post them here? I would love to see what you guys think of all 3 decks i made out of my pool. It would probably teach me a lot.

My promo was that waste that taps for life to make any color,

y2dvd

Played 2HG with the gf who have never played a game of MtG in her life. I pretty much had to built and play the 2 decks myself lol. Went WR and BU. Bunch if removals and fliers to win. Went 2-1 with another 2 rounds to go, but the lady was getting bored so I had to leave. Thought we had a great shot to win the next 2 too. :(

I thought the lost was due to the other team having a nut draw. I mean, the team got to Surge cast that "Rolling Thunder" rare card to each of us for 7 each, essentially dealing 14 dmg to finish us off. OK that's fair. -_-

Guy in front of me opened an exp Mana Confluence. 2nd team had a Matter Reshaper, Promo Kozelik, and an Ulamog in their deck. I got a Thought-Knot Seer and uh, that's about it lol.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This set should be a huge hit though. The colorless stuff feels really powerful and "Eldrazi" without turning the format into ROE or something.

This set should be a huge hit though. The colorless stuff feels really powerful and "Eldrazi" without turning the format into ROE or something.

Yep. I really want to have a big info dump of why BFZ was the way it was. I mean, it's one thing to be beaten by a large set(Zendikar/Rise IIRC), but a Small set beating the shit out of a large set is so off to me. Add to this that the two sets feel super disconnected from each other to the point where Ingestors feel almost useless in sealed.

Haines

Banned
Absolutely true you feel the disconnestion in the way these sets came out and played out so far. That said, still fun stuff

Neoweee

Yep. I really want to have a big info dump of why BFZ was the way it was. I mean, it's one thing to be beaten by a large set(Zendikar/Rise IIRC), but a Small set beating the shit out of a large set is so off to me. Add to this that the two sets feel super disconnected from each other to the point where Ingestors feel almost useless in sealed.

We already know why BFZ is the way it was. It isn't a mystery. After the Design handoff, during development, they decided to switch to two-set blocks, which required a huge Development triage, which included completely replacing the exile/process mechanics that Design spent their time working on.

Ashodin

Pull no expeditions, got two boxes and a fat pack coming next friday.

I got Oath of Jace, Oath of Gideon x2, Endbringer, Goblin Dark-dwellers (already on that boom/bust fam), Call the Gatewatch, lol, Dimensional Infiltrator, pulled a second Ulamog, Drana's Chosen, Ayli, tons of stuff

only got like 3 wastes tho

Bandini

Pretty happy with my sealed pool. Got a Linvala promo and Kozilek's Return and went 3-0, my final opponent wanted to split and take off, I like to play it out, but I like him and football so whatever. Here's my deck:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oath-of-the-gatewatch-prerelease-3/

MVP of my matches was probably Isolation Zone, I got 1 or more in every game and it just did work. I ended up playing a very aggressive style just putting the fear of combat tricks and removal into my opponents.

One G2 was pretty nuts, I had Felidar Sovereign out with 2 other creatures untapped, and my opponent swung in with 2 Eldrazi Scions and some other junk creature with all his lands untapped. I was up big on life and just figured ok, take it instead of whatever combat trick he has. He then plays an awakened Planar Outburst on his second main phase. He didn't even realize he needed the Scions to awaken it, if I had blocked any of them he wouldn't have been able to do it. Ouch. I topdecked Linvala at 1 life but it wasn't quite enough.

Overall much better quality matches than BFZ sealed.

bigkrev

Was 2-1 in both my main flight and 2HG before being comically destroyed in R4 both times to not win any prizes.

We had Clash of Titans played 6 times against us in 4 games of 2HG.

hermit7

Had a pretty poor pool. Had some decent bombs but really no decent low end creatures or removal. Still went 2-2.

Went three colors, black white green.

Black was a splash, but even adding in colorless made the mana rough. It was as if I was running a 4 color deck.

I had 3 mythics: tazri, Greenwarden, and the 9 mana even hoser. Tazri was left in the sideboard (not enough decent allies). Greenwarden was decent. The 9 mana colorless won me a couple games when I was able to grind out the game but there were a few times that I just ran out of gas.

Overall had a fun experience. I think I am going to do one tomorrow as well.

We already know why BFZ is the way it was. It isn't a mystery. After the Design handoff, during development, they decided to switch to two-set blocks, which required a huge Development triage, which included completely replacing the exile/process mechanics that Design spent their time working on.

Not quite. The switch happened during Design, but there was a period of time where Standard was going to be made up of four blocks instead of three, and this was longer than people previously thought from the original Metamorphosis article. This would have meant a greater number of themes and mechanics in Standard, since two of the sets are regular expert expansions instead of core sets, and they went through Design under the assumption that they'd have to lower BFZ's complexity and effect on Standard to compensate. Plus, recent statements from MaRo hint that there was another change in how sets are designed during that time period, which he'll write an article about eventually.

Anyway, prerelease went great, I went 4-2 with a WB deck that had Ayli as the prerelease rare and Kalitas opened. More details later.

JulianImp

I was considering playing the prerelease after skipping the whole Khans block and BFZ, but it looks like customs delays means the prerelease will be held next week. My LGS hasn't even specified what the entry price will end up being yet, so I might even end up passing this one as well.

I'm actually thinking about playing on prereleases but selling whatever I get except for one or two cards I might want to keep for EDH and just give up on constructed altogether. Having a whole bunch of cards with none of them even being standard-legal is quite a downer, and it isn't like I have enough modern staples to build a decent deck, either.

Yeef

Had the best, worst moment today. Got stuck on 3 lands; opponent plays Oblivion Sower, hits 4 lands; then I don't draw any more lands. It was both awful and hilarious.

I went 2-2-1 with what I consider as a pretty mediocre pool. All in all, the set is way better for sealed then BFZ. Really looking forward to GP Vancouver in 2 Weeks, that should be a blast.

Picked up 3 VoR for $75 Total Today, so I'm probably going to go Green White in Modern. Hatebears is good against Affinity/TRON, right?

Wulfric

Went 3-2 in the morning prerelease; Kalitas and Sylvan Advocate did a lot of great work laying down some aggro. Support also seemed quite strong. In 2HG my partner opened Ulamog and I opened Kozilek; went 3-0 despite not casting either of them. Isolation Zone finished more games than it had the right to.

Oh, and I got FTV Angels as a door prize. So that was nice. :)

off-topic: What void is Voice of Resurgence filling that it wasn't initially? It already frequently appears in Abzan midrange and Zoo lists.

tch

Went 2-1-1 with my sick BG Kozilek deck with 4(!) Oblivion Strike. Lost every game I cast Kozilek... Won every game I didn't. I just had bad draw 6/7s with him I guess for his counter ability. I got ran the fuck over by Sea Gate Wreckage in the draw and the loss. Must have drawn them both like 8+ cards. Card is insane.

The 4th round, the draw, I got matched up. The guy tried to make it go to time, he won the first game by decking me, and we only had about 4 minutes to play the second game. He was obviously stalling and pile-shuffling multiple times but I ran him over with a god hand of Undergrowth Champion and 2 Oblivion Strikes. Super satisfying and then I got the W we rolled a die for the win. Super fun! Got a Chandra and Needle Spires in prize packs, along with a few other cards that are going into my cube from my sealed pool (reflector mage/ dimensional infiltrator.)

Fou-Lu

Went 3-2 in prerelease and enjoyed myself. Played BWC and had a very good creature base. I don't like this set though. At all.

You know Lantern is next on the chopping block.
I wish the Eldrazi deck had more targets for my 4 maindeck pithing needles. 3 maindeck ghost quarters do a lot of work, though.

Regardless I kind of feel like other than Burn and maybe Abzan Chord there arent really many bad matchups in Modern for Lantern right now.

tch

This is how you get a DQ.

Well, at a prerelease it would probably just be a warning.

It was the store owner/TO that told us to. I thought it didn't seem right too but I was ready to get out of there fast and didn't really care about a single pack

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192442422]I wish the Eldrazi deck had more targets for my 4 maindeck pithing needles. 3 maindeck ghost quarters do a lot of work, though.

Regardless I kind of feel like other than Burn and maybe Abzan Chord there arent really many bad matchups in Modern for Lantern right now.[/QUOTE]

It's really strong. If I was actually on the circuit, I'd run it without hesitation. Most decks are unforgiving, but if you don't draw exactly the right opening hand, you're 9/10 times fucked against Lantern. It's Fateseal.dec.

It's really strong. If I was actually on the circuit, I'd run it without hesitation. Most decks are unforgiving, but if you don't draw exactly the right opening hand, you're 9/10 times fucked against Lantern. It's Fateseal.dec.
Yeah the only change I'm looking to make is maybe going to 3 extractions main. The deck just beats on everything.

Maybe a Sea Gate Wreckage.

Some people are playing Kozileks Return and Crumble to Dust since you can fetch them off Ancient Stirrings.

WanderingWind

Well, maybe two copies of Erase in the SB with 2-3 plains/fetches with the B/W version. It's an out, but not exactly a great one.

Ledsen

So if you need colorless mana to pay colorless mana costs... Doesn't that just make colorless mana a fifth color in practice?

1-0 in 2HG so far. I'm esper control with the awaken boardwipe my friend is playing B/G/C with swarm surge and 2 times the baloth.

Met a deck with 2 Chandras.

Edit: 2-0 now. Boy is this grindy.

Edit2: 2-1 quick round. Fall of the titans must be intentionally broken in this format. Me and my teammate also managed to both get mana screwed. On the upside time to eat.

Joe Molotov

Went 3-1 with R/B Allies + W Spells. Red and Black had most of my playable creatures, but my White pool had like 7 or 8 removal spells. Pretty much all my rares were bulk garbage until my last pack when I cracked a foil Oath of Nissa, which was nice.

ElyrionX

Wait what. Lantern is a T1 control deck in Modern?

hermit7

Traded for some starts to modern b/r eldrazi. Will be a while before I can run the whole deck, but once the core is there it should be good to run out.

Need to get all the creatures and most of the mana base though, should have picked up eye but it had already shot up and i doubt it is going to go much higher. Maybe in a few weeks.

Angry Grimace

They could fix a lot of issues by simply excluding 8th Edition from Modern entirely.

WanderingWind

Wait what. Lantern is a T1 control deck in Modern?

The numbers don't back that up, but I really feel it's because it's not exactly fun to play and can go to time easily. It's also relatively new and quasi weak against burn, which takes up an inordinate amount of MTGO play, which I think skews the numbers. I really, really expect it to break out and make the format super annoying to play. I mean, it's turbo fog mixed with repeatable better fateseal.

MjFrancis

Picked up 3 VoR for $75 Total Today, so I'm probably going to go Green White in Modern. Hatebears is good against Affinity/TRON, right?
I picked up a Voice of Resurgence playset just last week so I have everything for Kiki Chord, sans the additional Fulminator Mages in the sideboard. I'll just jam Crumble to Dusts in there and cross my fingers.

The deck I did miss out on was Scapeshift. I'd built the R/G ramp deck with some proxies for Primeval Titan and Scapeshift a month or so ago. Good news is that Primeval Titans will surely be five bucks or less before long. Bad news is that Scapeshift is fifty bucks now. I guess I'm not taking that one to a tournament anytime soon. I was too cheap to buy Scapeshift when it was twenty dollars, certainly not jumping in now.

You win some and you lose some.

So if you need colorless mana to pay colorless mana costs... Doesn't that just make colorless mana a fifth color in practice?

Yes and no There's a surprising amount of fixing the point where if you have to pay more than one or two wastes, something either went wrong or your went all in on colorless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom