• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedardus

I'm going to keep my Twins, just in case that in three years they will realise that always banning the most popular deck was a mistake and that they unban some cards.

I also know what I'm struggling the most with right now. I'm already over the banning of Twin, but I just don't know what to play next. Some staples for other decks have shot up massively in price but with a somewhat thight budget it just feels too risky to commit buying staples if they could be banned next year too. I think I'll just wait this one out for a few months and then decide what to do.

Should Splinter drop more in price or should I just get 1 now for my cube?

Wait till it's fully crashed, it will go down to semi-bulk rare after a few weeks.

three noob questions:

1. can i sacrafice a creature before it gets killed from blocking?
2. what does sorcery can only be played on an empty stack mean, like why would that matter.
3. can i flash a creature in after the oponent has declared attackers and have my flash creature as a blocker?

It feels like the people salty about Tein didn't even read the ban notes. I don't play Modern but I can easily read that and understand that it's a lot more than Wizards saying "This deck has the best win rate right now so kill it."

FWIW for someone who has been looking at getting into Modern, looking at tournament results and seeing every other deck was called " ___ Twin" was a big turn off.

PsionBolt

three noob questions:

1. can i sacrafice a creature before it gets killed from blocking?
2. what does sorcery can only be played on an empty stack mean, like why would that matter.
3. can i flash a creature in after the oponent has declared attackers and have my flash creature as a blocker?

1. Yes, but your last opportunity to do so is before it deals its combat damage.
2. It means they're far more limited than instants. You can't cast them in response to anything, so they can't be used as tricks in combat or the like. For example, say your opponent throws a burn spell at your guy to kill him, and you have a buff spell in hand -- if it's an instant, you can cast it and save your guy, but if it's a sorcery, your guy is dead before you get the chance.
3. Yes.

1. Yes, but your last opportunity to do so is before it deals its combat damage.
2. It means they're far more limited than instants. You can't cast them in response to anything, so they can't be used as tricks in combat or the like. For example, say your opponent throws a burn spell at your guy to kill him, and you have a buff spell in hand -- if it's an instant, you can cast it and save your guy, but if it's a sorcery, your guy is dead before you get the chance.
3. Yes.

So if i get attacked by a 2/2 lifelink for example, and i have an eldrazi scion. I should declare the scion as a blocker and then immediately sacrafice it to gain 1 mana and prevent the attacking creature from dealing any damage.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So if i get attacked by a 2/2 lifelink for example, and i have an eldrazi scion. I should declare the scion as a blocker and then immediately sacrafice it to gain 1 mana and prevent the attacking creature from dealing any damage.

Correct. It also keeps your opponent from gaining life.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah 8th turns out to be old school in this way that doesn't actually fit well with the rest of the format.

The only cards of note it actually adds are Choke and Ensnaring Bridge, both of which are problematic old-school hate cards. I hate Bridge, but Choke in particular punishes you for playing a non-greedy land base.

Although I learned today that Bribery is a legal card in Modern through Eighth Edition and that gave me pause because I have dreams of stealing Tron Guy's Emrakul or Ulamog.

I bought a play set of Ensnaring Bridge for a mono-black rack deck that is just brutal. It's obvious not Tier 1 but my friend still hates to play against it so I've only played it once.
This was quite awhile back long before Bridge jumped up in price.

I should really think about selling / trading off a lot of cards, maybe keeping one for Commander use or if I ever want to make a Cube.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";192479105]Black or nothing, the mana sucks otherwise.[/QUOTE]

so black for:
-murderous cut
-tasigur? (sb)
-duress
-infinite oblit
-kolaghans cmd

what am i missing?

Lucario

Went to a new store for the prerelease, website said 3 packs prize support per person.... Then the event ends and the owner hands three packs to the guy who got first and 1 pack to everyone else ಠ_ಠ.

At least I pulled a thought-knot and two reality smashers. Guy in first was pissed.

Wulfric

What, how many rounds was the event? Even 1 pack per win is better than that. Talk about bait and switch. Did anyone talk to the tournament organizer afterwards?

Went to a new store for the prerelease, website said 3 packs prize support per person.... Then the event ends and the owner hands three packs to the guy who got first and 1 pack to everyone else ಠ_ಠ.

At least I pulled a thought-knot and two reality smashers. Guy in first was pissed.

Had a few of those years ago during the RtR block. Event started an hour late because the owner wanted to take all the late reg. Half way into the prerelease people began talking about the prize structure fliers, around the whole store, being wrong. Turns out the owner advertised 12 for first place but toned it down to around 6 for first. Head judge wasn't very happy after that news broke out.

I tried a Mardu deck based on Kirblar's combo, but Dark Confidant is not great with Boom//Bust lol

necron4pxe.png

I thought Neal Oliver's take on the Modern bannings was quite well thought-out.

The Modern world lost some degenerate combo decks, but there are still more waiting in the wings to take over. Tron is now a format definer with Twin gone, rather than a niche role-player. Twin made the format a bit stagnant, but it was also a key check on the format, and fewer permission spells from Twin decks might lead to an arms race where decks keep trying to go faster and faster than one another. On the other hand, decks no longer have to live in fear of the Twin combo, and can focus on developing their game plan and interacting through means other than holding up Abrupt Decay from turn 3 on every game.

He points out the same thing I keep saying: Twin was being the policeman of the format and now it's gone. That being said, he's much more upbeat/positive about the future than I am (I'm actually quite pessimistic about Modern right now, both in terms of the format's health and whether or not it makes sense to invest in it at all anymore).

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell

Lucario

What, how many rounds was the event? Even 1 pack per win is better than that. Talk about bait and switch. Did anyone talk to the tournament organizer afterwards?

3 rounds, only 7 people showed up.

The top 2 talked to the TO after being handed 3 and 2 packs respectively, and his response was "Is this a sanctioned event? No? Okay, that's why!"

I'm guessing he couldn't sanction it because we only got 7 people, and maybe that screws with getting future prize support from Wizards, but at the very least he should've been up front about the fact that prize support was more than cut in half. I mean, there are places around here that charge $30 for prereleases with 1 pack per person in prize support, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker or anything.

Had a few of those years ago during the RtR block. Event started an hour late because the owner wanted to take all the late reg. Half way into the prerelease people began talking about the prize structure fliers, around the whole store, being wrong. Turns out the owner advertised 12 for first place but toned it down to around 6 for first. Head judge wasn't very happy after that news broke out.

Jeez. Did he just decide to change it mid-tournament? That's ridiculous. This event also started around an hour late because the owner took three late registrations.

I'm registering at the good LGS around here from now on, even if it means I'll have to do it a month in advance.

ultron87

Nissa's Judgment was our best performing card at the 2HG event today. Just led to huge swings where you blow up their best creature and make your guys big enough to attack through the rabble.

Hero

I thought Neal Oliver's take on the Modern bannings was quite well thought-out.

He points out the same thing I keep saying: Twin was being the policeman of the format and now it's gone. That being said, he's much more upbeat/positive about the future than I am (I'm actually quite pessimistic about Modern right now, both in terms of the format's health and whether or not it makes sense to invest in it at all anymore).

You failed to quote the part where he actually outlined why Splinter Twin was too good for the format.

Twin on the other was the good student in class. It followed all the rules of the format, and if the opponent was unprepared it landed a turn-3 creature into a turn-4 win. The problem with the deck was that it created a win/win situation for itself in every game. The opponent didn’t respect the combo to advance their board to try and get ahead? You combo them. The opponent lives in fear of the combo and develops slowly? You kill all their creatures with burn and win via incremental advantages.

Just because Twin is banned doesn't mean URx tempo decks just dead in the water now. All the cards that 'police' the format like Remand, Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, etc are still around.

Wulfric

3 rounds, only 7 people showed up.

The top 2 talked to the TO after being handed 3 and 2 packs respectively, and his response was "Is this a sanctioned event? No? Okay, that's why!"

I'm guessing he couldn't sanction it because we only got 7 people, and maybe that screws with getting future prize support from Wizards, but at the very least he should've been up front about the fact that prize support was more than cut in half. I mean, there are places around here that charge $30 for prereleases with 1 pack per person in prize support, it wouldn't be a dealbreaker or anything.

Oh, that explains it. That doesn't excuse the poor prize structure though. And I thought all prereleases were sanctioned events? If you have a group of people spending a big chunk of the day playing, I'd like to know it actually wasn't ahead of time.

Tajuru Pathwarden, Vile Redeemer, Nissa's Judgement, and Sphinx of the Final Word were my MVPs in my U/G deck that went 4-1. I was sad that I didn't open any value though.

bigkrev

I switched to a store that charges $30 instead of $25, but has good support (18 packs for 4-0, 12 for 3-0-1, 6 for 3-1), has a pity pack if you play all 4 rounds, and you get a free draft the following weekend (with pack per win support) for each prerelease you enter.

Store I had been going to was 1 pack per player prized down pretty deep, to the point where 1st place still got like 10 packs, but 2nd (usually with same record as 1st) would only get 3 packs. They only charged $25 and usually had free food for the noon events though

f0rk

Just because Twin is banned doesn't mean URx tempo decks just dead in the water now. All the cards that 'police' the format like Remand, Spell Snare, Spell Pierce, etc are still around.

They don't have the same inevitability required to actually win games. The card advantage available in U/R isn't powerful enough compared to Karn or creatures with good ETB abilities.

They should have unbannned Ancestral Visions straight away. I'm not even convinced it will be enough but it would be much more exciting than just removing two decks straight up then waiting around.

ElyrionX

I mean, I have a Twin deck with full sideboard and mainboard options. And it got banned

Last year, I had about 2/3s of Pod built including sideboard options. And that got banned too.

I'm not salty about it because I don't play Modern anymore and the money loss is not that big of a deal. Plus the cards all went into my EDH decks anyway.

But Wizards can go ahead and ban the "best" deck every year (which does not even hit 20% represenation in T8s) and see where that brings their stupid eternal format.

Santiako

I'm really curious about the Commander rules update for tomorrow. We know that they are leaving Partial Paris Mulligan behind, wondering what they'll put instead. I also wouldn't mind seeing Prophet of Kruphix and Deadeye getting the banhammer.

See, I don't buy that. Tempo/Faerie style decks have been in the fomat for a while, and they generally have a positive-to-very-positive matchup against Twin. So if those decks could beat Twin and could succeed against the rest of the field, you would have seen them in greater numbers. But that's not the case. Cards like Remand actually aren't very good (gasp) unless you're stalling to a powerful end game. The blue control cards weren't what was policing the format - it was the fact that the blue deck could also race.

I get why that bothers people - when you describe the deck, it sounds unbeatable and oppressive. But the data just doesn't support that theory. The data shows that it's a pillar of the format, but it doesn't overconvert and its metagame share hasn't become over represented. It's not oppressive, and the format was nigh on the healthiest it's ever been.

The one argument that I've heard that does ring true for me is that a lot of the cards currently banned that might otherwise be of an appropriate power level for Modern (Ancestral Vision, Stoneforge Mystic, maybe even JTMS) would all just slot into Twin and make that deck even better. That is - if Twin is the card that is keeping other cards banned, maybe you should just ban Twin and unban the other stuff. I can definitely get behind that argument, although its not quite enough to convince me that this was the right thing to do.

kirblar

The reason you didn't see those decks is because playing Twin was strictly superior to not playing Twin inside tempo shells.

People realizing they can play 3 drops now is hilarious.

El Topo

Data without proper interpretation can be misleading. If you only looked at some statistics, you'd think Amulet Bloom wasn't much of an issue. Is there a proper data analysis regarding Twin anywhere?

Jeez. Did he just decide to change it mid-tournament? That's ridiculous. This event also started around an hour late because the owner took three late registrations.

I'm registering at the good LGS around here from now on, even if it means I'll have to do it a month in advance.

From the website and the fliers, it was the only conclusion we could make. This wasn't the first time this happened there and the main reason I don't go there anymore, not like that place is around anymore anyway. Besides, I like Channel fireball anyway, even if it's a bit lacking in space and parking most of the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
9-1 over the last two prereleases. Today's deck was a 3 1/2 color pile that just got there somehow.

Best rare was Thought Knot followed by Eldrazi Edric.

When was the last time they unbanned something? Wizards just doesn't give a fuck. End story.
Last year they unbanned Golgari Grave-Troll

They don't have the same inevitability required to actually win games. The card advantage available in U/R isn't powerful enough compared to Karn or creatures with good ETB abilities.

They should have unbannned Ancestral Visions straight away. I'm not even convinced it will be enough but it would be much more exciting than just removing two decks straight up then waiting around.
Vendilion Clique poking for 3 a turn is legit. So is Keranos. So is the Grixis Delve deck. I would be surprised if a T1 UR deck doesn't exist.

I hope that now that Twin is gone they print better catch-all answer cards or else Modern is fucked.
Ban Karn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom