• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering - Oath o/t Gatewatch |OT| Look again, the mana is now diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised the Commander guys actually removed the mana production rule, but I suppose it makes sense with the weird interaction with C costs.

For those who play French EDH (all two of you), the banlist was updated as well :

Cataclysm is allowed.
Cataclysm is added to the Orange List.
Tasigur, the Golden Fang is a threat and is added to the Red List as a commander.
Necrotic Ooze is added to the Orange List.
Yisan, the Wanderer Bard is added to the Orange List as a commander

Tasigur about to be banned, son. That thing is dominating the format currently so that's kind of understandable.

I can only speak from Anecdotes, but does it seem to anyone else that Expedition rates are higher in Oath then BFZ? At my Pre-release I went to with 40 people there was about 6-7 opened, of which 4+ were from Oath.

Haines

Banned
I am in need of a really nice deck box that can hold my deck and seideboard, and i believe dice? Ive also seen people use dicebags.

Ive heard of a professor guy on youtube. Do you guys have any suggestions? I want something nice that will help me stay organized and not fumble around with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Is Seedborn Muse still legal. I have one of those guys in my commander deck I never play lol

Haines

Banned

That might be what i want. I only play limited, but 100 would spots would be good for sealed as well.

Never buy magic product, i wonder where in canada i should shop online. Maybe ill look at amazon.

Looks like they want 120 canadian for it. Maybe i better take a look at whats cheaper before i spend that much,

I also see that holds oversized cards which i have no use for. Unless i put a notepad in there or something.

That might be what i want. I only play limited, but 100 would spots would be good for sealed as well.

Never buy magic product, i wonder where in canada i should shop online. Maybe ill look at amazon.

Looks like they want 120 canadian for it. Maybe i better take a look at whats cheaper before i spend that much,

I also see that holds oversized cards which i have no use for. Unless i put a notepad in there or something.
$120 Canadian!? That's way off man.

The Ultra Pro Satin Tower is really good for what you need.

Look here for Canadian stuff. The Dex Protection boxes are also really nice and they have one or two fitting your needs: facetofacegames.com

Wichu

Looking forward to people with <40-land decks complaining about getting mana screwed all the time without the coddling of partial mulligans!

Hint: 40 lands in Commander is equivalent to 24 lands in other formats. Yeah, mana rocks exist, but even then you still need to make all your land drops if you're playing 6+ mana cards.

OnPoint

Looking forward to people with <40-land decks complaining about getting mana screwed all the time without the coddling of partial mulligans!

Hint: 40 lands in Commander is equivalent to 24 lands in other formats. Yeah, mana rocks exist, but even then you still need to make all your land drops if you're playing 6+ mana cards.
I play 36 lands + some mana rocks and don't have frequent mana problems.

Santiako

Speaking of Commander, can you guys take a look at my Alesha Token Reanimator deck? Is there any obvious cards I'm missing? Anything I should add or remove? I focused it on creatures that put tokens into play as they enter the battlefield and some value ones. The Putrid Imp is going to become an Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim when I get one and I'm trying to squeeze Blade Splicer and Knight-Captain of Eos in there.

Haines

Banned
$120 Canadian!? That's way off man.

The Ultra Pro Satin Tower is really good for what you need.

Look here for Canadian stuff. The Dex Protection boxes are also really nice and they have one or two fitting your needs: facetofacegames.com

Yeah the satin is good for what i want. I like this one for being a touch nicer but it costs a few more bucks. I get free 2day shipping. I found that site really tough to navigate but maybe its because im on ios?

http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B016CWI5V0/

I also would like some small dice for counters. I just have dollar store ones right now. Going to take a look for some. Is there a certain set most people prefer?
Am i looking right that maybe 12mm are the smaller ones?

OnPoint

I have thoughts on the Modern situation.

I don't have a problem with Wizards doing their best to shake up Modern every once in a while, and I actually don't have a problem with either of the bannings. What I do have a problem with is specifically using bannings to shake up a format. I don't mind that Bloom is gone, despite owning a Bloom deck, because it really is broken. Nobody should be able to cast a turn 2 Titan through a Remand. And was I sick of Twin? Yes. Do I think the shell will survive without it? Yes. But was there good reason to ban it? Maybe, probably (many have made good cases here), but I don't know that I agree with the reasoning Wizards gave us. Which leads me to believe that they did it for the wrong reasons and just kind of made something up for the announcement.

If they start banning stuff just for shits and giggles because a Pro Tour is coming up, they're going about it all wrong. People who spend money on buying cards and investing in an eternal format like Modern are going to become weary of doing so if Wizards is just going to ban for banning's sake. Yes, it's going to be interesting to see what the field looks like now. But we're living under the cloud of an established pattern of yearly best-deck bans now.

You know what else would get people talking? Unbanning some cards. Giving the masses Stoneforge back would do a ton to diversify the meta, creating whole new archetypes, even if Batterskull would need to go onto the ban list in its place. Ancestral Visions doesn't seem to be much of a threat, again, as it's been pointed out. That would have got people talking. Printing new and exciting cards does a lot for a format, too. It turns out this Eldrazi thing is really exciting. A whole new archetype is blossoming before our very eyes.

But then, what if the Eldrazi deck is "too good"? It hasn't even won an event yet, much less had the time for the meta to adjust to it, and people are already anticipating bannings... if/when it starts putting up good results. That's a bad look. What confidence do I have to buy into a deck I like that's also good if the risk is it will become extinct within a year's time?

Speaking of Commander, can you guys take a look at my Alesha Token Reanimator deck? Is there any obvious cards I'm missing? Anything I should add or remove? I focused it on creatures that put tokens into play as they enter the battlefield and some value ones. The Putrid Imp is going to become an Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim when I get one and I'm trying to squeeze Blade Splicer and Knight-Captain of Eos in there.
I have an Iroas token deck that I mess around with and these would be the really good cards from that:

Iroas, God of Victory
Yuan Shao, the Indecisive (combined with Iroas makes your creatures unblockable)
Akroan Hoplite
Darien, King of Kjeldor
Goblin Rabblemaster
Tajic, Blade of the Legion
Jazal Goldmane
Marton Stromgald
Balefire Liege
Hero of Bladehold
Assemble the Legion
Rise of the Hobgoblins
Burn at the Stake
Hour of Reckoning

Santiako

I have an Iroas token deck that I mess around with and these would be the really good cards from that:

Iroas, God of Victory
Yuan Shao, the Indecisive (combined with Iroas makes your creatures unblockable)
Akroan Hoplite
Darien, King of Kjeldor
Goblin Rabblemaster
Jazal Goldmane
Marton Stromgald
Balefire Liege
Hero of Bladehold
Assemble the Legion
Rise of the Hobgoblins
Burn at the Stake
Hour of Reckoning

Hero of Bladehold and Goblin Rabblemaster are almost definitely going in, thanks. Iroas could also fit in. Mmhh I'll have to try them.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Honestly, the Eldrazi deck isn't even that great right now. It's a long ways away from being T1. It's got a lot of holes, not the least of which is that it depends heavily on a legendary land and it's super, super soft against Ghost Quarter. It's not just me. Watch some of the pros at CFB take it for a spin.

It's also weak against Burn because Burn doesn't care that you Ulamog'd something on T5. Affinity and Tron seem like an even matchup, but I'd give the edge to Tron at this stage 9 times out of 10. I think it'll eat Zoo for breakfast, thanks to Herder and All is Dust.

It's fun as fuck to play, but it's going to need some serious tweaking to bring it from T2.5 status.

Man, someone on r/magictcg is downvoting my trade post for some reason. Hard to sell off my cards when I'm on the bottom of the page being the only 0 point post -_-

I'd just use ebay but i have to send in my laptop for repair since it's not charging. I have to do everything on my phone the next couple weeks...

Edit: and it's up again yay

OnPoint

Honestly, the Eldrazi deck isn't even that great right now. It's a long ways away from being T1. It's got a lot of holes, not the least of which is that it depends heavily on a legendary land and it's super, super soft against Ghost Quarter. It's not just me. Watch some of the pros at CFB take it for a spin.

It's also weak against Burn because Burn doesn't care that you Ulamog'd something on T5. Affinity and Tron seem like an even matchup, but I'd give the edge to Tron at this stage 9 times out of 10. I think it'll eat Zoo for breakfast, thanks to Herder and All is Dust.

It's fun as fuck to play, but it's going to need some serious tweaking to bring it from T2.5 status.

I don't disagree. But it sounds a lot like when Bloom was new and they were using things like Lotus Cobra, eventually evolving into using things like Azuza to get the job done faster/more consistently. Will this be as broken? Unlikely. But broken doesn't seem to be the issue these days, merely good and popular does. Point is people will keep working on and eventually find lists closer to optimal for the Eldrazi decks. While marching toward a Tier 2 or -- god forbid -- a Tier 1 list, the threat of a ban will be looming greater with every step.

WanderingWind

I don't disagree. But it sounds a lot like when Bloom was new and they were using things like Lotus Cobra, eventually evolving into using things like Azuza to get the job done faster/more consistently. Will this be as broken? Unlikely. But broken doesn't seem to be the issue these days, merely good and popular does. Point is people will keep working on and eventually find lists closer to optimal for the Eldrazi decks. While marching toward a Tier 2 or -- god forbid -- a Tier 1 list, the threat of a ban will be looming greater with every step.

You and I are on the same page with the bannings. I'm mostly just talking about how - despite me loving the interactions of the deck - I don't know if it'll ever even be on the level of say, Merfolk. Time will tell.

But yeah, we absolute have to deal with the reality that WotC can and will ban popular decks whenever they want and for little to no reason. Something for everybody looking at the format to keep in mind.

Other than t2 thought knot, I haven't seen the reward for playing such a fragile deck. It's a Big Zoo deck with all the drawbacks of combo. It's a Tron deck that plays wurmcoil engines with no karn or ugin or o-stones.

OnPoint

You and I are on the same page with the bannings. I'm mostly just talking about how - despite me loving the interactions of the deck - I don't know if it'll ever even be on the level of say, Merfolk. Time will tell.

But yeah, we absolute have to deal with the reality that WotC can and will ban popular decks whenever they want and for little to no reason. Something for everybody looking at the format to keep in mind.

It's a pretty shitty realization. I was buying in heavy over the last month, month-and-a-half because for the first time in a long time, I felt confidence in the format. But the Twin ban has shaken my feeling that they know what they're doing with Modern as a whole. I'm still going to build a deck or two (Eldrazi I have the pieces for, possibly I'll complete Tron since it's mostly done), but now I might sell a bunch of my other shit off instead and just kind of play out with what I have. If they can't make up their mind on what they want this format to be, I can't make educated purchasing decisions. And when that happens, I'm basically just gambling.

I need to get my hand on a playset of OoN (oath of nissa) for my Knightfall deck.
Do you guys think it'll surge or drop in price?

Hopefully Geist will with the reprint, though I don't particularly like the new art.

WanderingWind

It's a pretty shitty realization. I was buying in heavy over the last month, month-and-a-half because for the first time in a long time, I felt confidence in the format. But the Twin ban has shaken my feeling that they know what they're doing with Modern as a whole. I'm still going to build a deck or two (Eldrazi I have the pieces for, possibly I'll complete Tron since it's mostly done), but now I might sell a bunch of my other shit off instead and just kind of play out with what I have. If they can't make up their mind on what they want this format to be, I can't make educated purchasing decisions. And when that happens, I'm basically just gambling.

Yeah, there are people who have lost 2 decks in a row to outright deck bannings. I don't blame those people for quitting Magic altogether. No amount of "well, you see.." is going to make the Pod -> Twin player feel like dropping money on a third deck. Modern is my format (in case that isn't super clear) but I'm concerned about its future too.

If Modern decks didn't cost so much to buy into, people would be less angry when a ban caused the value of their deck to plummet. Of course, to make decks not cost a fortune to buy into, Wizards would have to add a lot of supply of staples that would cause values to drop, which might make some people angry anyway. My thinking though is that people wouldn't be too upset if card values dropped gradually; I think it is just the sudden price drops that can get people upset. A yearly modern masters with large but not unlimited supply could probably achieve this outcome.

JulianImp

Iroas, God of Victory
Akroan Hoplite
Darien, King of Kjeldor
Goblin Rabblemaster
Jazal Goldmane
Marton Stromgald
Balefire Liege
Hero of Bladehold
Assemble the Legion
Rise of the Hobgoblins
Burn at the Stake
Hour of Reckoning

I also built a Naya tokens deck (but I only have Mayael and Uril to pick from), and ran:

Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs (plays double-duty by taxing attacks and giving you tokens)
Cathar's Crusade (dolalr-bin rare that's downright crazy with effects that deploy multiple tokens at once)
Intangible Virtue
Martial Coup
March of Souls (a wrath that downgrades all creatures except yours)
The Dark Ascension rare token-maker with flashback
Conqueror's Pledge
Coat of Arms (which I don't own, but it looks like it'd be great)
Siege-Gang Commander
Captain of the Watch
A Shards of Alara knight that gives you soldiers and sacrifices them to fog
Purphoros, God of the Forge
Heliod, God of the Sun (kind of meh, but at least gives you a way to deploy tokens in a pinch)
Sacred Mesa
Fervor (giving your tokens haste makes them a real threat)
Purphoros' Hammer
Magmaw (not that interesting, but deters board wipes)
Spawning Pit (cheap to cast, doesn't cost mana and gives you protection from wraths)
Rootborn Defenses
Nobilis of War
Glory of Warfare

Other cards I could suggest would be:

Gobling Assault
Mobilization
Ib-Halfheart, Goblin Tactician
Goblin Trenches

Then, by splashing green, I'm also running stuff such as:

Verdant Force
Dragon Broodmother
Avenger of Zendikar
Gavony Township
Overrun
That rare token doubler from Innistrad for 3G
Doubling Season

With tokens, I feel like you should focus on getting as much value as possible out of your spells right away rather than running stuff that gives you a milder immediate impact such as Marton Stromgald (unless you give him haste and he doesn't get removed) and Assemble the Legion. Mass pump is always nice, but I feel like your best bet is stuff that pumps your team by a lot right away (such as the Nobilis). The best part about running tokens is that spot removal is ineffective against you, so you should play up on that strength rather than giving opponents targets such as lieges and the like.

If Modern decks didn't cost so much to buy into, people would be less angry when a ban caused the value of their deck to plummet. Of course, to make decks not cost a fortune to buy into, Wizards would have to add a lot of supply of staples that would cause values to drop, which might make some people angry anyway. My thinking though is that people wouldn't be too upset if card values dropped gradually; I think it is just the sudden price drops that can get people upset. A yearly modern masters with large but not unlimited supply could probably achieve this outcome.

Modern Masters every year, 36 boosters per box, greater supply, and reduced premium. Then it might go a small bit of the distance required to match the increase in demand for the Modern format in recent years, and so pull staple prices down a little.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Remember when the Eldrazi modern deck was cheap

that was cool

This deck would have been dirt fucking cheap (comparatively speaking) about 6 months ago when Marsh Flats wasn't 45 bucks, Inquisition wasn't 25 bucks a pop and Eye of Ugin wasn't Forty Two US Dollars.

Now, its just off the hook. I expect Path to Exile to get gross soon enough, too.

Crocodile

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/the-real-reason-splinter-twin-got-banned

Basically: because Wizards wants to make money and you demanded Modern Pro Tours so here you go assholes.

The issue with this statement is that it ignores the context of the announcement. We were in the midst of one of the least popular Standard seasons in a while and we didn't know about the New Standard rotation (while WOTC of course did). A negative reaction to all Standard Pro-Tours makes sense. Why do so many articles on this subject leave that important part out? The MTG community can be a bunch of petulant whiny children from time to time but I don't think there concerns were without logic at the time.

red13th

The issue with this statement is that it ignores the context of the announcement. We were in the midst of one of the least popular Standard seasons in a while and we didn't know about the New Standard rotation (while WOTC of course did). A negative reaction to all Standard Pro-Tours makes sense. Why do so many articles on this subject leave that important part out? The MTG community can be a bunch of petulant whiny children from time to time but I don't think there concerns were without logic at the time.

Yeah context is really important regarding the outcry.

Daedardus

Can someone knowledgeable say if prices have always been this unstable? Things are shooting up and down with $5-10 from day to day. I take it will be long after the Pro Tour that prices will stabilise? I should've listened to you guys and bought some cards I wanted already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom