• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

If you're not playing Marvel (or just blue in general for the counter, Gideon's Intervention too slow) you're going to be basically playing cleanup/damage control.

Even if you want to jam a turn 4 intervention on marvel, they're likely holding up mana on turn 3 for a counter. There's nothing you want to play on Turn 3 besides Rogue Refiner (another stupid card).

I would have loved if Gideon's Intervention was this:

lmUGCRR.png

Poppy

can you guys wait 30 seconds after i post something before correcting me so i can actually exercise my right to the edit button lol

anyway, marvel is dumb thats all i have to say

We just got a cat snake. That's not a thing either.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serpopard

Maro mentioned that desert is a big theme in Hour, so this is my best guess for an extra 15 cards is the set (could be just alternate art for basics, yes).

It being a theme works less well if playing them is just free. Plus, what makes them deserts? Every desert so far makes {C}, which makes sense since they're basically similar to Wastes. You could make dual Desert Forest type lands that made the two types of mana (and maybe bring back Thought-Knot Seer for one last pony ride) but that'd be a different thing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

It being a theme works less well if playing them is just free. Plus, what makes them deserts? Every desert so far makes {C}, which makes sense since they're basically similar to Wastes. You could make dual Desert Forest type lands that made the two types of mana (and maybe bring back Thought-Knot Seer for one last pony ride) but that'd be a different thing.

A land that says

Desertified Forest
Land - Desert Forest
(T: Add G to your mana pool)
T: Add ♦ to your mana pool.

is strictly better than a basic beyond supertyping. I can only assume they do similar stuff to what they do in Amonkhet, just varied or possibly more powerful effects. I don't think I've ever done a thing with Desert strategy in Amonkhet because it barely exists there, but those cards could just be seeds for Desert stuff in HOD.

Violet_0

Banned
if the theme of Hour is conquering the desert - desert lands start out as non-color lands and evolve into normal lands when meeting a certain condition. Flip lands or fetch lands
The only reason anyone even cares whether Bolas is good is because of Aetherworks Marvel cheating it out.
building the deck completely around marvel and investing energy for the chance that you can play a 7-mana card with a 4-mana card isn't really a super huge payoff. He can also barely defend himself and pretty much has to be played at sorcery speed and is not that hard to remove. Not a very attractive Ulamog replacement, imo

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
if the theme of Hour is conquering the desert - desert lands start out as non-color lands and evolve into normal lands when meeting a certain condition. Flip lands or fetch lands

building the deck completely around marvel and investing energy on the chance that you can play a 7-mana card with a 4 mana card isn't really a super huge payoff. He can also barely defend himself and pretty much has to be played at sorcery speed and is not that hard to remove. Not a very attractive Ulamog replacement, imo
I don't mean he's necessarily great there, I just mean people wanted to see him just to see whether he would win the game on the spot the way Bolas 1 probably would.

The problem is that Marvel does something inherently stupid. You can ban Ulamog and Kozilek if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you can't balance a stupid card like Marvel.

Violet_0

Banned
The problem is that Marvel does something inherently stupid. You can ban Ulamog and Kozilek if you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you can't balance a stupid card like Marvel.

I completely agree that Marvel is stupid, but without BfZ block it wouldn't even be a deck. I suppose you can balance it by not giving it any ridiculously powerful targets

Angry Grimace

You could make them powered down painlands with the basic type.

Ala

Code:
Forsaken Oasis

Land - Desert, Forest 

T: Add C to your manapool
T, Pay 1 Life: Add G to your mana pool

This card doesn't work the way you probably think it does lol

(You can still tap this card for G without paying any life because all Forests have that ability by virtue of being lands with the type "Forest.")

I completely agree that Marvel is stupid, but without BfZ block it wouldn't even be a deck. I suppose you can balance it by not giving it any ridiculesly powerful target

There's always big fuckoff Timmy cards you can use, e.g. Sandwurm Convergence. But really, just play Bolas. He's not as good as Emrakul or Ulamog but his play pattern is miserable - he just locks you out of the game and then beats you over the head with your own stuff - its the familiar design WOTC has been pushing for a couple of years now. Fuck that.

bigkrev

You could make them powered down painlands with the basic type.

Ala

Code:
Forsaken Oasis

Land - Desert, Forest 

T: Add C to your manapool
T, Pay 1 Life: Add G to your mana pool

Having the type forest automatically grants it T: add G to your mana pool

Why they stopped actually printing this on basics in 1999 continues to be a baffling decision to me. The most common of cards don't have their rules text on them!

Ashodin

I completely agree that Marvel is stupid, but without BfZ block it wouldn't even be a deck. I suppose you can balance it by not giving it any ridiculously powerful targets

That's the thing - the deck will be the most powerful in the format for another three months.

Three months of this

giphy.gif

I say ban it and just give up on this standard rotation until Ixalan. They will build consumer confidence again with the new Play Group (Melissa DeTora being in there helps a TON).

That's the thing - the deck will be the most powerful in the format for another three months.

Three months of this

giphy.gif

I say ban it and just give up on this standard rotation until Ixalan. They will build consumer confidence again with the new Play Group (Melissa DeTora being in there helps a TON).
This is ignoring, of course, the big issue here: Whoever can Bolas First gets a huge advantage. If you can Marvel into Bolas into anything decent in your opponents deck, you can basically win.

Marvel, Get Bolas, +2, Flip over Ulamog, Cast Ulamog for Free.

Angry Grimace

Three months of this

giphy.gif

DeTora was there during the development of a lot of this. Lots of the Dev. files they release on cards have her comments on things. None of that stopped the last two years of Magic.

ironmang

Wish there was some way they could emulate modern in standard. Sure, marvel is a problem now but there's always going to be the 1-2 decks-to-beat that fill every tournament. Last June I played 8/13 matches in the GW tokens mirror including the last 5 matches of Day 2. This past weekend in baltimore I played 14 different decks in 15 rounds. Just so much more fun.

Santiako

I had no idea Serpopards were a thing. Anyway, the desert lands were just a theory of what the 15 extra cards could be.

Wish there was some way they could emulate modern in standard. Sure, marvel is a problem now but there's always going to be the 1-2 decks-to-beat that fill every tournament. Last June I played 8/13 matches in the GW tokens mirror including the last 5 matches of Day 2. This past weekend in baltimore I played 14 different decks in 15 rounds. Just so much more fun.

The difference in card pool size makes that almost impossible. Having 6-8 or so viable decks would be enough for it to be a good standard.

Ashodin

DeTora was there during the development of a lot of this. Lots of the Dev. files they release on cards have her comments on things. None of that stopped the last two years of Magic.

Dev group and play group are two different things, but yeah I can see your point. We'll see if this lets them catch things instead of just going "whoops, there's that ol' sieve again!"

Violet_0

Banned
ya know, without Marvel, I half suspect standard would just be various shades of Torrential Gearhulk control. Which is even more boring to watch or play against than Marvel. At least Marvel ends the game quickly sometimes :p

ironmang

The difference in card pool size makes that almost impossible. Having 6-8 or so viable decks would be enough for it to be a good standard.

Well ya I wasn't expecting like 2 dozen viable decks or anything. Just some deck diversity and not allowing formats to be solved to the point where there's only a couple decks even worth taking to a tournament. 6-8 good decks would be awesome.

ya know, without Marvel, I half suspect standard would just be various shades of Torrential Gearhulk control. Which is even more boring to watch or play against than Marvel. At least Marvel ends the game quickly sometimes :p
Without marvel gb midrange would stand a chance and that deck is a huge pain for control as is Mardu.

Ashodin

But at least Gearhulk control has answers and doesn't just win games. It's also played on turn SIX, which is way better for Standard as a whole.

The biggest problem with Marvel (the deck) is that it's a Block deck that's competitive in Standard, which means it doesn't suffer from rotation the way most decks do.

Ashodin

The biggest problem with Marvel (the deck) is that it's a Block deck that's competitive in Standard, which means it doesn't suffer from rotation the way most decks do.

It made PT Amonkhet look like a joke. Nothing of value of Amonkhet was used on camera or seen in the Top 8 that would "sell the set" to people.

Angry Grimace

Torrential Gearhulk decks aren't even unfun to play against, nor are they overpowered in a vacuum.

Grindy value decks exist, its just that nobody plays them for obvious reasons - you have to be proactively trying to stop Aetherworks Marvel pretty much constantly.

traveler

Not Wario
Another 4-1 league. Gah. 5-0s are tough.

I've added Angel of Sanctions to the sideboard but I'm starting to think it might belong in the main. The only reason I dislike it in the main is that there's a bit more removal game 1 so it tends to be unable to keep a problem permanent locked down for any decent amount of time.

Ashodin

1 Barren Moor
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Command Tower
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Evolving Wilds
8 Forest
1 Golgari Guildgate
1 Golgari Rot Farm
1 Grim Backwoods
1 Jungle Hollow
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Polluted Delta
1 Reliquary Tower
1 Strip Mine
8 Swamp
1 Tainted Wood
1 Temple of Malady
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Tranquil Thicket
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Acidic Slime
1 Animate Dead
1 Bane of Progress
1 Beseech the Queen
1 Birds of Paradise
1 Buried Alive
1 Butcher of Malakir
1 Cabal Ritual
1 Corpse Connoisseur
1 Crop Rotation
1 Dance of the Dead
1 Deadbridge Chant
1 Deathrite Shaman
1 Demon of Dark Schemes
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Dread Return
1 Elves of Deep Shadow
1 Elvish Mystic
1 Entomb
1 Eternal Witness
1 Exhume
1 Fyndhorn Elves
1 Glissa, the Traitor
1 Golgari Grave-Troll
1 Golgari Signet
1 Graveborn Muse
1 Green Sun's Zenith
1 Grim Flayer
1 Hermit Druid
1 Jarad's Orders
1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
1 Krosan Grip
1 Liliana, Death's Majesty
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Llanowar Elves
1 Lord of Extinction
1 Mikaeus, the Unhallowed
1 Mindslicer
1 Murderous Cut
1 Necrogenesis
1 Necromancy
1 Necropotence
1 Necrotic Ooze
1 Nighthowler
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Phyrexian Delver
1 Phyrexian Devourer
1 Praetor's Grasp
1 Priest of Titania
1 Putrefy
1 Reanimate
1 Rune-Scarred Demon
1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
1 Sidisi, Undead Vizier
1 Snuff Out
1 Sol Ring
1 Terastodon
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Toxic Deluge
1 Triskelion
1 Victimize
1 Void Winnower
1 Wall of Roots
1 Wretched Confluence

yeahhhh I'm a punk

Poppy

is it generally agreed upon that mono steal your shit tribal is not a nice thing to do in edh

i played silumgar with every single mind control that wasnt awful i could jam in, plus like commandeer and aethersnatch, gonti and that one sphinx etc. it made one person very very mad at me! but i thought it would be more janky than the hapatra and wort decks i was playing prior which ended up pooping out a stupid amount of tokens and seemed kind of busted. i was like well i guess i should stop playing green for a little while

basically i play on modo (which is full of awful people, me included probably) and only multiplayer, and i get bored of any deck i make after three matches and make something else. i just want things that have some jank but can still win and arent total trash

that being said hapatra is really fun, even when you sort your triggers wrong and wipe your entire board out with blowfly infestation

Angry Grimace

My MTGO record in sanctioned (e.g. matches with entry fees/prizes) with that Mardu deck is 16-4, btw. I still don't think its a world breaker or anything, but its both fun and reasonably competitive.

Adaren

I like that Samut has a "two" theme in all of her abilities. I wonder if that's going to be her thing, since she has two swords and all.

Bolas is definitely strong. His flexibility is huge, as long as you aren't facing aggro.

The board wipe is really interesting. Situationally strong, but limited enough to not be oppressive.

hermit7

I normally play homebrews and jank in EDH for FUN but this is war son, Aether Hubs are on the line

Is Jarad your only option?

Seems like Meren would be better if you're trying to be competitive in GB.

I don't think that combo is super good in GB specifically is all, Mike and trike is effective, but there are some cards that might be worth cutting. I guess it depends on the meta you're playing in and the overall competitiveness that your store typically hovers around.

Ashodin

Is Jarad your only option?

Seems like Meren would be better if you're trying to be competitive in GB.

I don't think that combo is super good in GB specifically is all, Mike and trike is effective, but there are some cards that might be worth cutting. I guess it depends on the meta you're playing in and the overall competitiveness that your store typically hovers around.

nah I just have all the cards needed for Jarad. Meren would be good too. Specifically Jarad + Devourer wins the game too.

Grixis, in these sets, is all about board control, right? You have efficient removal in black and with Unlicensed. ways to recur them with Hulks. A new and efficient sweeper that was missing. Great card draw in painful truths glimmer/pull from tomorrow. Hand disruption in a lot of varieties. Great post board answers to the marvel nemesis. And Bolas provides an insane finisher. It doesn't stabilize like Ugin. It ends games. And that's just what this deck needs. Run them dry of resources and play a game ender. I like the design and possibilities. Bolas has to feel unbeatable on a mostly empty board.

I also really like Samut. Is she hot Garbo? Sure! But she seems fun in a RG madness/monsters sort of deck. Rhonas with double strike? Yes! Attacking with a noose contractor and grip full of cards? You better block that sweet sweet double strike, ready to pitch fiery temper! I love it. Take 8 to the face because you can't stop my 4/4 haste dragon? Splash black to reload your hand with painful truths? Where do I sign up??

You know what else was Garbo? Savage knuckleblade. And I won a stupid amount of games with that card. Like, more than any other human being alive. And I will with Samut too

traveler

Not Wario
traveler, this article published today might be relevant to you making the best version of your deck.

Thanks, I took a look through it.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately for my wallet) all of my testing is done through the competitive standard leagues and pptqs on MTGO, so I'm generally playing against decent to great players with the usual top tier decks. I also get in sideboard games every match so I can continue to refine it.

On the GDD toolbox note from earlier, been thinking of trying out a 1 of Call the Gatewatch. The deck depends pretty heavily on finding Lily and Nahiri also serves as an out to many problem permanents. Call is 3 mana, so it can be bought back with GDD.

Marvel probably could have been reasonable if it weren't for Energy. If it just ran on counters (like the Amonkhet Brick artifacts), it wouldn't be able to charge before hitting the board, and taking it off the board would actually put the player back to square one if they dropped another.

Then, on top of that, making it Energy-based means it's barely a blip in non-block formats, despite being a Standard juggernaut; it's basically going to be a non-entity once it rotates since Energy isn't an evergreen mechanic.

And if that's not enough, it should just be a fucking black ritual enchantment, thematically. I'm sure someone's going to quote some cruddy lore that says Kaladesh is just FF7 and everyone dissolves back into Aether when they die, but fuck that, name that thing Abominable Invitation and I'll even let you stick a sacrifice outlet on there.

Just a fail card on every level.

OnPoint

Marvel probably could have been reasonable if it weren't for Energy. If it just ran on counters (like the Amonkhet Brick artifacts), it wouldn't be able to charge before hitting the board, and taking it off the board would actually put the player back to square one if they dropped another.

Then, on top of that, making it Energy-based means it's barely a blip in non-block formats, despite being a Standard juggernaut; it's basically going to be a non-entity once it rotates since Energy isn't an evergreen mechanic.

And if that's not enough, it should just be a fucking black ritual enchantment, thematically. I'm sure someone's going to quote some cruddy lore that says Kaladesh is just FF7 and everyone dissolves back into Aether when they die, but fuck that, name that thing Abominable Invitation and I'll even let you stick a sacrifice outlet on there.

Just a fail card on every level.

Should have either or both: been sacrificed on use; entered the battlefield tapped

But there's no fixing it now. Just ban it.

traveler

Not Wario
There's a million ways it could have been worse, but, unfortunately, it's not. I do still wonder how much play it would have seen had rogue refiner and attune with aether not been printed, though. If puzzleknots and more dedicated energy cards were required to fuel it, would it have taken off?

There's a million ways it could have been worse, but, unfortunately, it's not. I do still wonder how much play it would have seen had rogue refiner and attune with aether not been printed, though. If puzzleknots and more dedicated energy cards were required to fuel it, would it have taken off?

Honestly, most of the Energy generators Marvel runs are above-board. Harnessed Lightning and Glimmer of Genius are fair cards. Aether Hub is fine. Rogue Refiner's the only really questionable one.

There are tons and tons of other quick and dirty ways to generate Energy in the block, Marvel could probably trade out for a completely different set and still function; Harnessed Lightning would honestly probably be the hardest hit, just because it needs early removal and the option for late Energy in minimal card slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom