• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glimmer's a boilerplate blue card advantage with the set mechanic tacked on, they print cards like it basically every block as Limited fodder. If there's something wrong with it, it's because Energy itself is a problem.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, I'm fine with glimmer. Divination is 3, Painful Truths is 3 and can net you 1 more card at the cost of life and more color requirements. Paying an extra mana for 2 energy, scry, and instant speed seems fine.

Rogue Refiner and Attune seemed like the biggest culprits to me. Marvel pulls the best energy cards from across three colors thanks to attune and rogue refiner is already a suped-up elvish visionary that applies legitimate pressure even without the bonus energy.

All of this isn't to detract from the mainpoint- Marvel is clearly the busted card. I just wonder if the deck could have run this top tier smooth without refiner and attune.

Yeah, I'm fine with glimmer. Divination is 3, Painful Truths is 3 and can net you 1 more card at the cost of life and more color requirements. Paying an extra mana for 2 energy, scry, and instant speed seems fine.

Rogue Refiner and Attune seemed like the biggest culprits to me. Marvel pulls the best energy cards from across three colors thanks to attune and rogue refiner is already a suped-up elvish visionary that applies legitimate pressure even without the bonus energy.

All of this isn't to detract from the mainpoint- Marvel is clearly the busted card. I just wonder if the deck could have run this top tier smooth without refiner and attune.

If Harnessed Lightning weren't quite as versatile and Rogue Refiner wasn't quite as efficient it might actually have problems dealing with early aggression, yeah. Though, it would probably just run a green Energy Dork in place of Attune to clutter the early board. Might still get run over by zombos and vehicles.

I will fight you, Knuckles was a hero.

A hero, dammit.

You won't find an argument here. Some friends went to a GP, found out Christopher Rahn was going to be there and came back with two signed foil copies of Knucks because they could only find two foil copies at the entire venue. They replaced 2 of my 4 foils in the standard temur deck I played forever.

Forever in our hearts

Firemind

I have no idea how to sideboard so am looking for input.

Sideboard:
4 Dispel
1 Negate
1 Summary Dismissal
1 Commit to Memory
3 Thing in the Ice
1 Sphinx of the Final Word
2 Dragonmaster Outcast
1 Sweltering Suns
1 Release the Gremlins

Vs. Marvel
-3 Censor
-4 Magma Spray
-2 Sweltering Suns
-1 Essence Scatter
-1 Harnessed Lightning
+4 Dispel
+1 Negate
+1 Summary Dismissal
+1 Commit to Memory
+2 Dragonmaster Outcast
+3 Thing in the Ice

Vs. Mardu
-3 Essense Scatter
-3 Sweltering Suns
-1 Hieroglyphic Illumination
+3 Thing in the Ice
+1 Negate
+1 Release the Gremlins
+2 Dragonmaster Outcast

Vs. Zombies
-3 Negate
-1 Hieroglypic Illumination
+1 Sweltering Suns
+3 Thing in the Ice

Vs. BG Energy
-3 Negate
-2 Sweltering Suns
+3 Thing in the Ice
+2 Dragonmaster Outcast

Vs. mirror
-3 Censor
-3 Sweltering Suns
-4 Magma Spray
+4 Dispel
+1 Negate
+1 Summary Dismissal
+2 Dragonmaster Outcast
+1 Sphinx of the Final Word
+1 Commit to Memory

I think I need to take out the Sweltering Suns and Essence Scatter out against Mardu because you really don't want them to resolve a PW. Not sure if I want Commit to Memory in this matchup as it's pretty slow. Against Marvel I keep 1 Sweltering Suns for Whirler Virtuoso. 4 Dispel might be overkill but I assume I need to counter Marvel at all costs and they're going to bring in their own Dispels. Not sure I want Dragonmaster Outcast vs Zombies since I believe it's very explosive, even moreso than Mardu. so I need to survive the early game and flip my Things in the Ice.

DrArchon

Steal-yo-shit is a great EDH deck. It's always at the same power level as the rest of the table.

Who's the go-to commander for these kinds of decks? I've got a busted up copy of Memnarch that I've kept in my Animar deck for no other reason than him being a decent mana sink, but I love the card enough that I wouldn't mind making a full steal-everything deck with him.

OnPoint

Who's the go-to commander for these kinds of decks? I've got a busted up copy of Memnarch that I've kept in my Animar deck for no other reason than him being a decent mana sink, but I love the card enough that I wouldn't mind making a full steal-everything deck with him.

I'm building one with Memnarch. Seems to make the most sense to me.

Santiako

I'm making a Yasova Emerge deck that steals creatures and sacs them for value (or Emerge).

DrArchon

I'm building one with Memnarch. Seems to make the most sense to me.

Yeah, that's what I figure. I want to be able to keep stealing stuff even if I don't have the cards in my hand that can do it. And if any single color can survive on its own in EDH, it's blue.

Firemind

Do you have 3 sweltering suns main? Seems a bit overkill the zombie matchup is pretty good already.
Really? Alright. I thought every matchup's more or less 50-50 lol

Yeah, that's what I figure. I want to be able to keep stealing stuff even if I don't have the cards in my hand that can do it. And if any single color can survive on its own in EDH, it's blue.
Dude. Empress Galina.

I wish they'd retcon Sindbad to be legendary he sucks but he has to be the commander for a steal yo shit deck.
Really? Alright. I thought every matchup's more or less 50-50 lol
You can answer everything they do game 1. If you don't draw the sweltering suns chances are high you're drawing spot removal instead and that gives you enough time to churn through your deck looking for the suns if they manage to rebuild.

Firemind

Yeah, but I want to steal everything, not just commanders.
Image.ashx

If your goal is to make the most powerful steal-yo-shit deck, Memnarch is the right choice because you get repeatable mind controls and can win the game on the spot with infinite mana. If your goal is to make a "my deck is your deck" (i.e., something less cutthroat), look at Sakashima, Lazav, or Dragonlord Silumgar.

If your goal is to make the most powerful steal-yo-shit deck, Memnarch is the right choice because you get repeatable mind controls and can win the game on the spot with infinite mana. If your goal is to make a "my deck is your deck" (i.e., something less cutthroat), look at Sakashima, Lazav, or Dragonlord Silumgar.

Thada Adel, Acquisitor is also pretty good for a less cutthroat version

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So, do you guys think that Bontu's Wrath is part of an undercosted-that-exerts-your-lands cycle for each god?

I wouldn't be surprised; it could be exciting depending on the effect.

So, do you guys think that Bontu's Wrath is part of an undercosted-that-exerts-your-lands cycle for each god?
Hazoret's Last Punch - 3R
Sorcery
Hazoret's Last Punch deals 7 damage to target creature or planeswalker. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

You know it will be something lame like that.

Though this could be neat.

Hazoret's Last Reckoning - 2R
Sorcery
Tap each land target opponent controls. They don't untap during that player's next untap step. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

DrArchon

That'd be pretty cool. Not sure what Oketra's would be though, seeing as Bontu got a Wrath. Making a bunch of tokens perhaps?

Would be nice if each one helped turned their respective gods on.

G.ZZZ

If the red one has to turn the god on, it could be a ritual as it is a way to empty your hand, in a sense. Or a Through the breach effect. But a 1RR through the breach would break modern, and an exert seething song would, too, probably.

Poppy

i chose silumgar because i like dragons and stealing planeswalkers

my dream is to stick mirror gallery and kick rite of replication on him

i just wish villainous wealth wasnt sultai

That'd be pretty cool. Not sure what Oketra's would be though, seeing as Bontu got a Wrath. Making a bunch of tokens perhaps?

Would be nice if each one helped turned their respective gods on.
Oh, if that's what they're going for, then red could be

Hazoret's Last Roundup - 2R
Sorcery
Each player discards all cards. At the beginning of your next end step, each player draws seven cards. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

red13th

Sorcery
Each player discards all cards. At the beginning of your next end step, each player draws seven cards. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

This is a cool card too.

Korgill

Sorcery

This is great, super fair and goes easy on the caster losing the untaps. Helps set up attacks for one turn before giving your opponents their outs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Thanks, I took a look through it.

Fortunately, (or unfortunately for my wallet) all of my testing is done through the competitive standard leagues and pptqs on MTGO, so I'm generally playing against decent to great players with the usual top tier decks. I also get in sideboard games every match so I can continue to refine it.

On the GDD toolbox note from earlier, been thinking of trying out a 1 of Call the Gatewatch. The deck depends pretty heavily on finding Lily and Nahiri also serves as an out to many problem permanents. Call is 3 mana, so it can be bought back with GDD.

You would need more PW for that to be a reasonable strategy. I think a better strategy would be to try and see if you can make more concessions to Delirium so that Whispers of Emrakul, Pick the Brain and stuff like Descend Upon the Sinful get turned on.

I've been playing with dumping some fastlands for Evolving Wilds to help with that, plus taking out Never for 1 copy of Murder and a fourth Cast Out. Some of that is budgetary: I think the Murder should be Liliana, the Last Hope; maybe Anguished Unmaking if your meta has enough problematic card types.

Sorcery

Rhonas's Last Supper - 2G
Sorcery
Untap all lands you control. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.
To be honest I'm kind of indifferent about this whole Bolas deal. ~Rhonas the Snek

Joe Molotov

Hazoret's Last Punch - 3R
Sorcery
Hazoret's Last Punch deals 7 damage to target creature or planeswalker. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

You know it will be something lame like that.

Though this could be neat.

Hazoret's Last Reckoning - 2R
Sorcery
Tap each land target opponent controls. They don't untap during that player's next untap step. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

Hazoret's Bolt - R
Instant
Hazoret's Lightning deals 3 damage to target creature or player. Lands you control don't untap during your next untap step.

ultron87

I like how that Wrath costing less lets you leave up mana for counters and whatnot, but if you happen to use them you get extra punished by no untap. That's a neat balance thing.

Angry Grimace

Sorcery

This is as close to "2R: Forfeit the game" as you can get lol

I'm more and more thinking the wrath is just bad. Even in the best case scenario it's sort of a 6 mana wrath.

If you need it to stemm early aggression there's flaying tendrils for the same costs and without time walking yourself. Giving an aggro deck 2 turns to rebuild might leave you off no better than when you cast it.
Late game it doubles the cost of any spell you're casting until your next turn. So even if you're holding up a counter you're now not untapping 6 lands.

Repgnar

Heading out to my first Grand Prix in an hour for side events with my wife. We're planning on doing the Foiled Again! Event tonight and was wondering how structured should we expect? Would be nice if we could sit next to each other for deckbuilding but the only info I'm finding online is for sealed main event which is random seating with you marking down the person's cards opposite of you.

Angry Grimace

Randomly found this card in a search and noe am tempted to make a monogreen legendary tribal EDH deck.

apparently it's a cycle.

Why is the red version the only one templates differently

Because Legends was designed by people don't play Magic much. They all have the same Oracle text, though:

[COLOR] legendary creatures you control have "bands with other legendary creatures." (Any legendary creatures can attack in a band as long as at least one has "bands with other legendary creatures." Bands are blocked as a group. If at least two legendary creatures you control, one of which has "bands with other legendary creatures," are blocking or being blocked by the same creature, you divide that creature's combat damage, not its controller, among any of the creatures it's being blocked by or is blocking.)

dat reminder text

Went 2-2 at my first FNM today. Lost to UBR control and BW Zombies. Could have beaten the zombies if I'd gone with Magma Spray in the sideboard instead of the foolishness I actually put in. I played RW Exert and it was a lot of fun!

Here's my list if anyone's interested.

t46S5Gc.png

And here's the sideboard.

HZus55c.png

Angry Grimace

Can't be too difficult to make a mono green deck where every creature is legendary.

There are 71 mono green creatures that qualify (meaning they aren't like Ishkanah who has a color identity of GB). Most of them are bad. Real bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom