• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

New arts for Gideon Jura, Chandra Pyromaster, Nissa Worldwaker and Nicol Bolas in Archenemy. Looks like a great product.

New Bolas looks great but the other 3 look like artwork they rejected before put to use.

Also the schemes have some real graphic novel art feel to them.

And like red said the decks are trash.

Zocano

The new chandra art is cool (I always thought og pyromaster's art was kind flat and poor) but I agree for the other two JL members

Zocano

Oh, just found out my lgs is hosting one of the RPTQs on saturday/sunday. Should I bother at all with the LCQ? Just want to try it out and the format for the rptq is sealed so I imagine the lcq would be as well?

I've done a handful of amonkhet sealed already but it is a bit dead brained and samey because of the prevalence of exert.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
What do people think Ash Barrens is going to peak at? I bought 2 when they were 70 cents, another 2 when they were $1.50, now they're $2.50.

I feel like the text accompanying those decks in no way fits the actual decks.

"With no Black and only half a Blue deck, Gideon has to bring white's most powerful control options..."

Oh, so it's going to be a ton of white exile/prison effects? Nope, all creatures, and not even O-Ring on a Stick creatures. Well, uh... okay?

DrArchon

The new artwork for Bolas looks great, it's a shame it's the old Bolas and not Nicol Bolas, God-Pharaoh.

"With no Black and only half a Blue deck, Gideon has to bring white's most powerful control options..."

Oh, so it's going to be a ton of white exile/prison effects? Nope, all creatures, and not even O-Ring on a Stick creatures. Well, uh... okay?

Yeah, I noticed this as well. "White's most powerful control options" apparently = more creatures than any of the other decks. Not even a board-wipe to be seen in there.

Ah, but it says "white's best control elements" and so it does! See, there's a single tapper, a hatebear, two flicker effects, and even two exile effects! See, they touched on most of the major strong elements! Just, uh, not in any amount and not with particularly strong examples of them.

Maledict

fuck. yes.

Give us Unraveled, MaRo!

Gods I hope not. Such terrible, terrible sets. Maris sense of humour is such an absolute fail in card form. The fact he's had two shots and both have been big failures leaves me hoping they will never waste the time on a silver bordered set again.

Santiako

If Maro wants to do another Un-set, he should do just 100 ish cards or so and insert them in the token slot of normal boosters. (Although I really want some fancy new lands)

Daedardus

Me contemplating to buy some new singles feels like:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Magic cards $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Magic really is worse than meth.

Maro wrote a very in-depth article about mechanics and where they fit on the colour pie:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

He's also teasing something big for next monday (announcement day hopefully).

There's a lot in there. I haven't read through all of it, but I did look through red. There's a lot of stuff in there that straight isn't represented in cards yet so I can only assume its future set stuff? Like red having permanent edicts. As in 'target player sacrifices a permanent' is apparently in red. Unless there's a hidden rider in there that says that it has to also be a random sacrifice to be bad and therefor red.

There's a lot in there. I haven't read through all of it, but I did look through red. There's a lot of stuff in there that straight isn't represented in cards yet so I can only assume its future set stuff? Like red having permanent edicts. As in 'target player sacrifices a permanent' is apparently in red. Unless there's a hidden rider in there that says that it has to also be a random sacrifice to be bad and therefor red.
Kamigawa really is underappreciated.
98.jpg

Some of the stuff listed is extremely rare and it's just that when it does show up it tends to be colour(s) X (,Y, and Z).

Edit: For example, there have been only four cards with "End the turn" on them. One is an artifact, two are blue, and then you have Glorious End in Amonkhet (Which is basically just the Final Fortune version of Time Stop).

He didn't put the rider that if similar effects appear in both Red and Blue the Red version has to be strictly worse, because it's assumed to be common knowledge.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Bolas himself looks good. The rest? They looked scrunched up.

It's kind of weird - obviously crappy B art appears on these products all the time, so I assume its on purpose.

I mean, the Planeswalker deck versions of cards also look hideous.

Also, it would make me laugh if it turned out Stony Silence (or Damping Matrix) is in Hour of Devastation and we're up in arms over nothing. Even though it isn't.

A_Dang

If Maro wants to do another Un-set, he should do just 100 ish cards or so and insert them in the token slot of normal boosters. (Although I really want some fancy new lands)

I think that fancy lands would be the only thing of interest to me in a new Un-set. I really don't get why people want one, and would really like someone to let me know the appeal, I am seriously curious!

OnPoint

I want a new Unset for two reasons only:

1. New cool lands

2. For the numbers to prove without a doubt another one never need be made

I think one of red's biggest problems is that it's considered a "spell color" in that it's alongside blue in most of it's power is in instants and sorceries instead of creatures. But design has shifted to give more power to creatures and planeswalkers. So red rarely gets pushed creatures but also lacks a lot of the powerful stuff blue gets to play with. It's been a little bit better in most recent sets but I feel like they are too afraid of making good red permanents.

I think the un-sets are fun too. I think it's interesting from a design standpoint what they can do when they are not so constrained by what's possible. I like the humor too though most people here don't seem too. Would be interesting to see un-set planeswalkers. I missed the pre-release for Unhinged but my friends had a blast doing it. I don't see it really affecting other things that much but maybe I'm wrong. Wizards puts out tons of products I don't give a shit about and I still get way more than I need.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To quote kirblar, why would you make an un-set when you could make literally anything else?

Angry Grimace

Un-sets are like if World of Warcraft came out with an 8-boss comedy raid tier that was LFR difficulty and where all of the gear dropped was non-transmoggable cosmetic items.

DrArchon

For me, the best things about Un-sets were references to old cards, and Time Spiral block did all of that way better than any of the Un-sets did, so why bother doing another one?

Maybe if they did an MTGO-only set that abused the fact that none of the cards were available in paper. But even then, I'm not prepared to go back to MTGO just for one joke set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom