• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's not a made up problem. It's about you doing something rude, being called out on it then being a jerk about it. Stop being an asshole and I'll stop whining. You try to condescend your way out of every argument you have with people. It gets so old.

It's a completely made up problem and doubling down on it isn't making it less of a made-up problem. It took you more time to type all of this thread policing out and complaining about it than it did to ask "what is that," then for me to type a response, and then for you to go look at it.

Yes, I'm going to go back and read the last 50 posts to see if people are talking about the topic, then link a website that has no actual news in it beyond what was contained in my post on my phone just so you won't suffer the world's most minor inconvenience.

OnPoint

I am interested about those Altazan leaks now. Wonder if they'll ever comment on it and if it's connected to the new set.

It's a completely made up problem and doubling down on it isn't making it less of a stupid made-up problem.

It took you more time to type all of this thread policing out and complaining about it than it did to ask "what is that," then for me to type a response, and then for you to go look at it.

Yes, I'm going to go back and read the last 50 posts to see if people are talking about the topic, then link a website that has no actual news in it beyond what was contained in my post on my phone just so you won't suffer the world's most minor inconvenience.

Again, if you'd have just posted a link or said where you got the info, none of this would have happened. It started with you. But whatever man. Congrats! You've "won" an argument on the internet. Once again, you're right, we're all wrong, and the balance is restored. Don't worry -- I won't bother with you again.

Tunoku

Well, that came out of nowhere. I'm mostly interested in the consequences of the Pro Tour delay and how it's gonna impact the metagame development throughout the season. Pros can't just keep quiet because there will be GPs to play before the PT, so maybe this gonna do some good and it's gonna a much more open process.

Also that Nationals invited players list link seems to be broken.

Yeef

I am interested about those Altazan leaks now. Wonder if they'll ever comment on it and if it's connected to the new set.
They already commented at the time that it was real. It was a retailer survey, so obviously not everything was finalized. Odds are, with everyone thinking "Atlazan" was related to Atlantis (along with other issues) they decided to change the name to Ixalan.

Neoweee

They already commented at the time that it was real. It was a retailer survey, so obviously not everything was finalized. Odds are, with everyone thinking "Atlazan" was related to Atlantis (along with other issues) they decided to change the name to Ixalan.

There's no indication or reason to think that was the actual intended set name at that time, anyway. That was only a few months ago, and presumably the name of the plane had to have been locked well before that. It was just a dummy name used for design surveys.

OnPoint

Yeah, I remember that they said it was a survey. I'm just curious about the process of how they got from Altazan to Ixalan and why. We got a peek into a part of the process we never got before, so I would guess we won't get any more info on it. But it would be pretty cool if we did.

Tunoku

Yeah Atlazan and Ixalan could totally be the same thing. Maybe people got the impression that it was Atlantis due to the name and WotC wanted to avoid those connections and changed the name.

it's going to be cats, dogs and then birds and fish or whatever
wait, make one of them spiders

I really hope that the 4 new decks are for tribes that need the support primarily and then some nods to the main magic tribes.

Selesnya Cats - Token go wide, Lords Lords Lords
Rakdos Demon - Land Destruction(lol) and punshising control
Jeskai Wizards/Sphinxes - Chaos and wonky effects, think Arjun stapled with Possibility Storm
Colorless Trinkets - Colorless needs the MOST support honestly and an iconic creature type other than eldrazi, maybe contraptions???????

I really do think that Cats will be one. Snakes, too, but maybe that's a stretch.

What I do like is that this must mean some reprints of good tribal artifacts / enchantments will be in there, right? Door of Destinies, for example. Cover of Darkness?

Hmm, now that I look at specifics, there's nothing super expensive.

I just want Phyrexian Altar so badly :'( Clerics plz!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Again, if you'd have just posted a link or said where you got the info, none of this would have happened. It started with you. But whatever man. Congrats! You've "won" an argument on the internet. Once again, you're right, we're all wrong, and the balance is restored. Don't worry -- I won't bother with you again.

In fact, I did post what it was and where I got it. In response to you asking what it was.

What is Ixalan and where is this coming from? Card in Amonkhet?
It's the fall set. Helene announced it on the site just now.

Sounds like Mesoamerican world I guess.

You're making a big deal out of nothing. I'm not agreeing to this nebulous future demand because its not actually reasonable to police posting like that and the fact you guys are spending time arguing about it is ridiculous. I have no idea if someone else already posted it or not (the article was posted like 30 minutes before I even posted that) and if you don't know what it is, it took me a matter of seconds to post out what it was and where I got it from.

Angry Grimace

It's going to be like Humans, Vampires, Goblins and Elves. Maybe Merfolk, although there's a ridiculously limited number of non-blue Merfolk and any missing colors can and probably will be jammed into "Humans."

They technically could do CLASSES too, but there's not really a lot of payoff cards for class-tribal. I believe Maro said there's a class-tribal set in the pipe somewhere.

Angry Grimace

So if you have unused mana after your opponent declares the end of their turn you can, cycle a card from your hand, move onto your turn, untap everything then draw a card?

Yes, that's why Cycling is so powerful - you can leave mana up to play an answer (e.g. a removal spell) and if they just pass, you cycle away a card you don't need, e.g. one of those enters the battlefield tapped lands when you're flooding.

Violet_0

Banned
Considering that there's only gonna be 4 decks, does it not make more sense to make them all 5 color? That way the color distribution is even.

that sort of clashes with the spirit of EDH. Well, sort of, since everyone is running some competitive multi-combo netdecks in a supposedly "fun" format anyway now

Angry Grimace

that sort of clashes with the spirit of EDH. Well, sort of, since everyone is running some competitive multi-combo netdecks in a supposedly "fun" format anyway now

Those Commander decks aren't really designed to be thrown against something other than the other decks. It's akin to the difference between the older "Event Deck" precons and someone's regular constructed deck.

OnPoint

Considering that there's only gonna be 4 decks, does it not make more sense to make them all 5 color? That way the color distribution is even.
I think it would be tough to do four tribal based 5-color decks. What tribes would even support that? Slivers, Allies (ugh), Humans and... uh, Spirits?

In fact, I did post what it was and where I got it. In response to you asking what it was.
--

You're making a big deal out of nothing. I'm not agreeing to this nebulous future demand because its not actually reasonable to police posting like that and the fact you guys are spending time arguing about it is ridiculous. I have no idea if someone else already posted it or not (the article was posted like 30 minutes before I even posted that) and if you don't know what it is, it took me a matter of seconds to post out what it was and where I got it from.

Sure. It's water under the bridge for me at this point man. I'm out. I'm moving on. You should too.

Poppy

last night on modo some dude playing oloro not only bragged about how it took everyone to bring him down because he lost first, but said he could have won anyway with ad nauseum but chose not to, after trying to combo sanguine blood / that other enchantment to kill everyone and failing

in conclusion playing commander with randos is kind of silly and you always get a mix of people with decks that do nothing except play their favorite cards, decks that are constructed poorly, and decks trying to combo kill everybody

but i just play meren and people dont pay attention to me until it's too late usually, she is good for lurking in the background while you stop the combo players and then just smashing everyone

I've never played EDH (or, really, competitive magic) so I'm not sure I understand. Why is that?

I'm not saying make them all the same, just that the 4 tribes they pick would be better served by being 5 color tribes so that nobody's favorite color gets the shaft. They're adding a bunch of new cards, so if there's enough 4 color tribes I could see an expansion.

Violet_0

Banned
Those Commander decks aren't really designed to be thrown against something other than the other decks. It's akin to the difference between the older "Event Deck" precons and someone's regular constructed deck.

yeah, I know. My point still stands, though, EDH is about picking your favorite legendary and then building a deck around their abilites and color identity. 5-color commanders always felt like cheating
I've never played EDH (or, really, competitive magic) so I'm not sure I understand. Why is that?
see comment above, that's how I look at it anyway

@Justin, if you need some quick refresher on how to play Magic, I'd recommend checking out Magic Duels. It's free, and it has extensive tutorials for all the various different game mechanics

Justin

yeah, I know. My point still stands, though, EDH is about picking your favorite legendary and then building a deck around their abilites and color identity. 5-color commanders always felt like cheating

@Justin, if you need some quick refresh on how to play Magic, I'd recommend checking Magic Duels. It's free, and it has extensive tutorials for all the various different game mechanics

I've been playing it but have only made it through the Origins campaigns so a lot of the newer mechanics I have not seen yet. I think I have enough to fake my way though the pre-release event but obviously there is only so much of the actual strategy you can learn in a week or two. I am at the level where I understand how the chess pieces move.

Angry Grimace

@Justin, if you need some quick refresher on how to play Magic, I'd recommend checking out Magic Duels. It's free, and it has extensive tutorials for all the various different game mechanics

I don't typically enjoy the kind of "directed at EDH" products that WOTC makes at all. I think its stupid and defeats the point of EDH.

Xis

I'm not saying make them all the same, just that the 4 tribes they pick would be better served by being 5 color tribes so that nobody's favorite color gets the shaft. They're adding a bunch of new cards, so if there's enough 4 color tribes I could see an expansion.

EDH decks are built around the commander. You can only run cards that are the same colors as your commander. To have a five-color deck, your commander *must* be a legendary creature with all five colors in its color identity.

They could do this (like print a WUBRG goblin legend or a RB goblin legend with a WUG activated ability), but it would be super weird.

Obviously some tribes can already do this (Slivers, Elementals, ???) but you quickly run out of tribes that are both five-color and iconic.

Violet_0

Banned
I've been playing it but have only made it through the Origins campaigns so a lot of the newer mechanics I have not seen yet. I think I have enough to fake my way though the pre-release event but obviously there is only so much of the actual strategy you can learn in a week or two. I am at the level where I understand how the chess pieces move.

in the options menu there's a tutorial section for all the general and set-specific mechanics. You also get some extra gold for completing them. The most important part is to understand how the turn structure and instants (and also instant effects like cycling or activating a non-sorcery speed ability on a card) work, the keywords are mostly all pretty simple

Angry Grimace

As for Ixalan or whatever, the old packaging suggests to me that its the same set since there were Aztec-like markings on the packs. I'm guessing we assumed the Merfolk on the package meant it was a riff on "Atlantis" when the name was probably a riff on "Aztlán," the legendary ancestral home of the Aztec peoples. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aztlán

I mean, we don't know anything about the set, but it seems like it would be strange to follow up a set like Amonkhet with what I assume is an Azteca World.

ultron87

en_tql7OJMmqL.png

This requires a Zombie on either end, correct? On initial read I definitely read it as:

Choose 1:
- Exile target creature that blocked this turn
- Exile target creature that was blocked by a zombie this turn

But Release Notes say it isn't that. So it is actually:

Choose 1:
- Exile target creature that blocked a zombie this turn

That seems likely to cause some misunderstandings and judge calls.

jph139

I think the intent is pretty obvious, but yeah, sloppy wording. They should have gone with "blocked a zombie or was blocked by a zombie" instead, just to be extra clear.

Eh, I like a good number of the EDH commanders they've printed. I run Jelava as my vampire tribal commander, for instance, and for zombies I used a pair with Partner. There's plenty of commanders they've printed that facilitate fun theme decks that wouldn't be possible otherwise just because (for instance) zombies and vampires from different sets have different color identities. (Innistrad vampires are red/black, Ravnica vampires are black/blue, Zendikar vampires are black/white, etc.)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
en_tql7OJMmqL.png

This requires a Zombie on either end, correct? On initial read I definitely read it as:

Choose 1:
- Exile target creature that blocked this turn

But Release Notes say it isn't that. So it is actually:

Choose 1:
- Exile target creature that blocked a zombie this turn

That seems likely to cause some misunderstandings and judge calls.

Your first interpretation isn't wrong, grammatically, so this card should have either been modal (like your second example) or just written like this:

"Exile target created that blocked a zombie creature this turn or was blocked by a zombie creature this turn."

Goblins, Elves and what else do we think? Honestly I'd be fine if we didn't get Goblins and Elves also

Doing stuff like Goblins and Elves would be a massive waste. They're mostly monocolor tribes, they have tons and tons of Commander options in all kinds of colors, the decks themselves are usually gonna be pretty linear with well-worn strategies and lots of cards that already get reprinted all the time.

The best choices here would be tribes that actually benefit from having a deck printed: either popular tribes that have poor or no commanders, or existing types that can gain flexibility by printing some useful new members but which wouldn't frequently show up in new expansions, or tribes where the available commanders have bad color identities so people can't currently build the deck they'd want to.

It's just a previous rejected or placeholder title. Most sets go through 2-3 rejected names before the final one (like we know "Warlords of Khanar" was a hilariously unfortunate early choice for KTK, after they originally rejected a name based on "Mongseng.") This one had this big Atlantis implication issue so definitely the new one is gonna be a better choice.

And people were complaining that no one would get the title :p

kanye
tR36IIs.jpg

I mean, we don't know anything about the set, but it seems like it would be strange to follow up a set like Amonkhet with what I assume is an Azteca World.

pyramid tribal

I expect Ixalan will have the four big tribes represented (we already know merfolk are there). As a wild guess, there will also be a big instant and sorcery theme, which can tie into aftermath.

Violet_0

Banned
we do already know about the Merfolk and Gorgons (so the return of Vraska), if they go with a jungle theme Leonin would be more fitting than Elves. Zombies might get some rest (heh) since they were a centerpiece of both Innistrad deux and Amonkhet, I have no idea what they want to do with red but neither does WotC (see Gremlins)

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Doing stuff like Goblins and Elves would be a massive waste. They're mostly monocolor tribes, they have tons and tons of Commander options in all kinds of colors, the decks themselves are usually gonna be pretty linear with well-worn strategies and lots of cards that already get reprinted all the time.

The best choices here would be tribes that actually benefit from having a deck printed: either popular tribes that have poor or no commanders, or existing types that can gain flexibility by printing some useful new members but which wouldn't frequently show up in new expansions, or tribes where the available commanders have bad color identities so people can't currently build the deck they'd want to.

While I agree with elves and the like not necessarily seeing a go this time around (especially elves, with the mono-green planeswalker elf commander deck a few years back - it has a decent amount of elf lords and other shenanigans) - out of curiosity, what are you thinking for 'tribal', then?

For example, Slivers would be an decent 're-print' choice, as they're relatively scarce to find, have only EDIT: 4 (Overlord, Queen, Hivelord, Legion) that I can think of) commander choices that actually match the tribal theme, decently powered as a 'precon', and able to be tinkered with to get potentially absurd if people want.

But at the same time, they're (relatively) well known in the history of EDH, and wouldn't be something necessarily 'new' to explore in an EDH setting.

But other than that, I'm struggling to think of other (potentially) multi-color tribes with a solid 'theme' that haven't already been explored - I.e. Vampires (either mono-black or Black/Red) aren't really looked at super in-depth in EDH, but already have both Olivias, Drana, Anown, etc...

Similarly, Angels could be cool, but are a feature of a lot of high-tier decks and have plenty of commander choices.

But if you boil it down to stuff like 'Hydras', yeah they're cool and all, but I don't really think 'tribe' from them.

is there a fast/responsive card database/search website for the new set?

looking for something that lets you filter by set/rarity/color and shows updating results (card images) as you type part of a search keyword instead of having to hit 'submit' and load a page from scratch

Maledict

DTK was just two years ago! I remember back in my day when we had to wait five years between gold blocks razza frazza grumble grump

DTK wasn't really multicolour though was it? Strong theme, but it didn't have the multicoloured assfan of other gold sets?

And talk to me about old, I still feel something is wrong when every set has an enemy coloured gold card for draft purposes. I remember when Apocalypse was ground breaking for focussing on enemy colours!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom