• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

....HoD is going to be multicolor dummies.

LET ME DREAM KIRBLAR, LET ME DREAM!

It will be interesting to see the themes. Innistrad has a strong tribal theme, but isn't a tribal set - and I still struggle to see how they do tribal without the tribal archtype. It gave them really useful tools that feel sort of needed.

Yeef

is there a fast/responsive card database/search website for the new set?

looking for something that lets you filter by set/rarity/color and shows updating results (card images) as you type part of a search keyword instead of having to hit 'submit' and load a page from scratch
I've been using Scryfall for some time now. They always put up cards as they're spoiled, which is great.

Scryfall.com

[EDIT] Missed the bit about live searches; I don't know of any site that does that. You might have to find an actual executable.

is there a fast/responsive card database/search website for the new set?

looking for something that lets you filter by set/rarity/color and shows updating results (card images) as you type part of a search keyword instead of having to hit 'submit' and load a page from scratch
In general, Gatherer should update in a few days, if it hadn't already.

As for your requirements, I can't think of a site like that.

As for HoD being gold, that reminds me of a prediction I forgot to mention: landcycling.

DrArchon

we do already know about the Merfolk and Gorgons (so the return of Vraska), if they go with a jungle theme Leonin would be more fitting than Elves. Zombies might get some rest (heh) since they were a centerpiece of both Innistrad deux and Amonkhet, I have no idea what they want to do with red but neither does WotC (see Gremlins)

Oh please, for the love of God, let Vraska be better than she was before. I desperately want to have a another BG walker that isn't garbage. We had Garruk Relentless who was great but not exactly BG for deckbuilding purposes, then we had Vraska, Queen of Do-Nothing, and lastly Garruk, Overcosted Predator.

I could see Naga/Snakes being big in Ixalan. It's a jungle after all. Leonin isn't a terrible idea either, but they kinda already did that with Nacatl in Alara/Naya.

Ashodin

This shit just makes me even more mad they pushed back announcement day. I need my speculation wizards!!!!

They probably are announcing magic digital next with it, so they likely will have announcement day near E3 because they like to think they're a big player in the digital space now

Tunoku

....HoD is going to be multicolor dummies.

I'm totally on that train with you. You'll get that one right. Bolas+that Naya Legend. Some of the mana fixing in this set seems awkwardly placed since it seems like it's very much focused on you being two-colored, so they could make more sense in the context of HoD.

Put me on the HoD is Multicolored Train- We've got 2/5ths of Shard Mythics all but confirmed for the set with the three missing gods likely as Jund/Bant/Esper, and Bolas can't be done well in a non-Multicoloured Environment.

I've been using Scryfall for some time now. They always put up cards as they're spoiled, which is great.

Scryfall.com

[EDIT] Missed the bit about live searches; I don't know of any site that does that. You might have to find an actual executable.

thanks

didn't find this one in the first few dozen google results

the real-time updating was a nice feature i liked in some card browsers for other games

Jhriad

But other than that, I'm struggling to think of other (potentially) multi-color tribes with a solid 'theme' that haven't already been explored

Demons could probably use another Legendary Demon that isn't straight Black or BR. The only one outside those colors is Sol'Kanar from Legends. While Demons outside BR aren't common they've been printing more of them recently so it probably needs to happen sooner or later.

Allies could use more multicolored commanders outside the RW ones they printed in C2016 and the few in BFZ block. Inclusion in C2016 probably means they're out though.

Spirits could use a commander that is some mix of Sultai colors, Blue with with Green and/or Black in particular. As it stands they only have a few multicolor commanders with those being UW, WB, or GB(W).

Angels could use a Legendary Angel that is more than two colors and Red. Atraxa is fine but you lose a lot of notable cards in the Tribe by omitting Red.

Obviously when you get to some of the smaller tribes they could use a lot more support than some new commanders.

While I agree with elves and the like not necessarily seeing a go this time around (especially elves, with the mono-green planeswalker elf commander deck a few years back - it has a decent amount of elf lords and other shenanigans) - out of curiosity, what are you thinking for 'tribal', then?

You basically want stuff in the second tier of popularity, where it already exists but isn't like amongst the top couple tribes of all time. Looking at this page some options that occur to me: Wizards, Elementals, Merfolk, Faeries, Demons.

And talk to me about old, I still feel something is wrong when every set has an enemy coloured gold card for draft purposes. I remember when Apocalypse was ground breaking for focussing on enemy colours!

Perfect demonstration of how a trick gets less impressive when you do it a few times.

Scryfall.com

Yeah, I'm all in on scryfall now; I had no idea how much I needed this feature until I had it.

kirblar

@tommartell

8th place at PT Chicago 2000 paid out more than 8th place will pay out at PT Amonkhet.
Yikes.
@tommartell

The total prizes for finishing 2nd - 8th at PT Chicago 2000 was $81,000. The total prizes for 2nd - 8th at PT Amonkhet is $80,000. #realnews
Double Yikes.

Maledict

Perfect demonstration of how a trick gets less impressive when you do it a few times.

We seem to be reaching the stage where colours being allied or enemies doesn't really matter anymore. Without protect in the environment, and the lack of colour hosers, and the need for enemy coloured gold cards for drafting, the only real enemy colour thing that remains is the fact that Green occasionally gets counter hosers still.

And yep, it's definitely an overused trick - I understand completely why they are doing it, for limited and drafting, but it does make me a bit sad.

Wulfric

Wait wait wait wait

When is the PWP cutoff? Don't tell me I'm too late? D:

In the US at least, you need 500. More for a bye.

I only have 493 since I skipped FNM last week.

But the yearly seasons ends in May, so I'm hoping we have another month?

MoxManiac

What is interesting about Commander 2017 is it has the same amount of brand new cards across less decks (4 vs. 5). So each deck will have a couple more brand new cards then usual.

I wish they would do less-supported tribes instead of the most popular ones. Dragons/Zombies/Angels/Goblins etc already have more than enough support.

Maledict

Going back to the Commander 2017 stuff. This is almost certainly somewhere where the Tribal typing will get dusted off for some new cards, right?

Oh my.

Tribal type is dead. There's something about it that causes the rules team fits I think, but it's gone and never coming back.

Personally don't understand why, but am sure Kirblar or Charlequin can explain better!

Jhriad

What is interesting about Commander 2017 is it has the same amount of brand new cards across less decks (4 vs. 5). So each deck will have a couple more brand new cards then usual.

Probably a combination of realizing that they're tearing through lower tier reprint equity in these products and they've been printing too much supplemental product recently so this is probably a good move for the long term. It's good to see they're breaking from the mold and showing they're willing to be pretty flexible with the Commander product line. I'm actually more interested in more flavorful, thematic Commander decks than I was in the mechanically themed decks.

Actually, they ran MORE PTs back then- like 6 a year plus worlds

They probably weren't spending nearly as much on the GP circuit though.

Ashodin

I wonder. Are they shooting for November release for Magic Digital Next?

I bet they want to clear out any releases near then paper-wise so the focus is on the game.

Tribal type is dead. There's something about it that causes the rules team fits I think, but it's gone and never coming back.

Personally don't understand why, but am sure Kirblar or Charlequin can explain better!

It doesn't give the rules team fits - rather, it gives design and development fits. Tribal adds complexity to a card that does nothing in 99% of cases. If you're not designing the entire set around Tribal (in other words, you deliberately create cards with text like "whenever you cast a ~ spell" or "return target ~ from your graveyard to your hand"), it's basically a waste of time to deal with it. They did it in Llorwyn, where they specifically designed around it. Then they did it again in Rise of the Eldrazi basically just to let you use Eye of Ugin and Eldrazi Temple in some additional scenarios.

I kind of wish they would use Tribal more often, but I also kind of agree with their current stance: it's not worth making evergreen, but it doesn't make sense to use if it's not evergreen, so you might as well just not use it.

A good example of why Tribal has issues is to compare it to Devoid. The Devoid keyword does literally nothing other than to create fucky interactions with other cards. Tribal really isn't all that different.

Yeef

It's unintuitive for most people that it's a type and not a supertype, but honestly, that doesn't matter most of the time. The bigger issue is that it creates a disconnect between blocks where they use it and blocks where they don't. For example, why is Tarfire a tribal goblin, but Dragon Fodder and Empty the Warrens aren't? The fix is to either always use the tribal type, even when it doesn't matter to the block mechanically, adding extra, meaningless complexity; or to never use Tribal. They opted for the latter.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, I guess from my perspective I could not care less how much money the professional players are making. There's legitimately nothing about Magic that suggests you could or should attempt to make a living off of it, much less that WOTC owes to anyone to make sure you can.

It's unintuitive for most people that it's a type and not a supertype, but honestly, that doesn't matter most of the time. The bigger issue is that it creates a disconnect between blocks where they use it and blocks where they don't. For example, why is Tarfire a tribal goblin, but Dragon Fodder and Empty the Warrens aren't? The fix is to either always use the tribal type, even when it doesn't matter to the block mechanically, adding extra, meaningless complexity; or to never use Tribal. They opted for the latter.

The Tribal card type is just extra fucking wonky for what it actually does; the only reason it needs to exist is weird rules interactions that almost nobody actually understands.

I mean they'll probably reprint some, but Maro has said a bunch that tribal as a mechanic has been retired.

Oh, it is almost certainly never being seen in a Standard legal set again or even in most supplementary products. I tend to think it has a chance here because we have supplemental, explicitly tribal preconstructed decks, which is a place where the typing can actually have value. It would be self contained, on theme, and would actually have gameplay meaning.

Now, I'm not saying it will happen or that MaRo would approve of it happening but I feel that this is maybe the one place it would actually make sense to use it with the current mindset around the typing. I'd even go so far as to say dismissing it as an option out of hand when creating the decks would be unwise if you only care about gameplay concerns. Dismissing it to avoid an entirely new generation of players asking about when they'll see Tribal again/why aren't we seeing Tribal again? That might have some merit.

OK, I can explain this. Tribal itself isn't a rules issue. It's an issue of being meaningless and inconsistent text 99.9% of the time. The rules issue is with all the other "Tribal but not" suggestions people toss at MaRo such as putting it on as a keyword or having non-Creature, non-Tribal cards able to innately have creature subtypes.

Poppy

i played momir basic last night while pretty zonked and rolled a banding creature

needless to say, i ended up killing my own creatures and destroying none of theirs

i am too dumb for magic

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean Tribal exists because

"Instant - Goblin" can't exist for rules reasons nobody sane should be able to explain.

i played momir basic last night while pretty zonked and rolled a banding creature

needless to say, i ended up killing my own creatures and destroying none of theirs

i am too dumb for magic

Somehow you turned Banding, a legitimately quite power ability that protects your creatures, into anti-Banding, which apparently blows them up.

I mean Tribal exists because

"Instant - Goblin" can't exist for rules reasons nobody sane should be able to explain.

Among other things, it's because you'd either end up with all subtypes being interchangeable among card types, which is a mess and does things like, for a simple and less messy example, having Changlings boost Cloudpost while also being Forests, Swamps, Nissa, etc., or you end up having each subtype invisibly be a certain kind of subtype (yes, I know that's how things actually are right now) so you can look at that Land - Locus or Instant - Arcane and try to work out if that's a creature type or a land type or a spell type or planeswalker or what.

On top of everything, you end up with the exactly same issue Tribal had of being super inconsistent and, to many players, randomly there or not while 99.9% of the time not doing anything when it actually is present.

VERY useful to me since Cubetutor uses Gatherer scans now. :/

Gatherer scans are like 200 x 300 or something, lol. They were insufficient 10 years ago when people still ran desktop resolutions below 1080p, nowadays with retina rez it's totally nuts.

I wonder. Are they shooting for November release for Magic Digital Next?

Semi-closed beta or something. They've signalled hard that it'll be something people can try playing this year but not a final release.

The one place they should've used it was "Tribal - Eldrazi" instead of Devoid.

Yeah even avowed Tribal hater Maro admitted this would've been a better way to do BFZ.

Did they specifically say they delayed announcement day? I was wondering if we are getting a FTV this year.

They did as they wanted to do an all-encompassing 25th Anniversary announcement. I'd put $10 on FTV being dead, it's a pointless product.

What if Dominaria featured no Gatewatch members?

It's Lilana's hometown, dawg.

Tunoku

Actually, with them talking about how they're reducing the amount of GW members per block, it'd make sense if Dominaria only had Liliana in it. Maybe Ajani as well because he's been eager to go there?

Santiako

Those tribal EDH decks would be a nice way of lowering the prices of Cavern of Souls and Aether Vial among others.

Did they specifically say they delayed announcement day? I was wondering if we are getting a FTV this year.

FTV is obsolete now that the masterpieces exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom