• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT11| Amonkhet - Have you ever had decks with a Pharaoh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd kinda like to see the Lorwyn Five as our Planeswalkers on Dominaria, as long as we're doing a throwback block.

Karn, Bolas, and a restored Teferi would be the real retro options. Yes, I know Bolas wasn't on a PW card until Conflux but he has existed as a character since Legends.

If they're doing standard tribes in Aztechland I want to see Aztech Vampires for reasons that are more or less entirely JoJo's Bizarre Adventure related.

Tunoku

I mean, considering that Bolas fucks them up this summer, you could see them meeting again on Dominaria. Then we'd have 2 Bolas Planeswalkers in Standard, but hey, why not?

So I actually tried looking for bat tribal decks and stuff I can use for bat tribal, but the pickings are quite slim. Seems like I would have to allow for technicalities like Skeletal Vampire or Belfry Spirit, which makes Bat tokens, and maybe demons and vampires in general because they're associated with bats in pop culture.

Ashodin

Motherfucker if I don't see one of these two things in the Dominaria set

• Karn
  • Ugin
  • References to Otaria

I will choke a Sliver.

@Firemind: Urborg is now like, the Louisiana Bayou. Complete with Alligators and old cars just janking up the swamps

Maro asked what we wanted to see in Return to Dominaria right? Anyone have a link to that Blogatog question?

If the set isn't just called Dominaria they're doing it wrong.

Ashodin

Maro asked what we wanted to see in Return to Dominaria right? Anyone have a link to that Blogatog question?

If the set isn't just called Dominaria they're doing it wrong.

I mean it's a return to form for the plane as a whole, so calling it Dominaria would be apt and also really really badass. A re-introduction for newcomers to MTG and a celebration of MTG as a whole.

You know it would be funny if it was called

Dominaria's End lmao

"We're moving the center of the multiverse to Ravnica"

BARF

I mean it's a return to form for the plane as a whole, so calling it Dominaria would be apt and also really really badass. A re-introduction for newcomers to MTG and a celebration of MTG as a whole.

You know it would be funny if it was called

Dominaria's End lmao

"We're moving the center of the multiverse to Ravnica"

BARF

I could live with it tbh. Always liked Ravnica, though they'd need to elaborate on some actual checks and balances (other than "don't piss off Jace").

Ravnica might as well be. It's been the center of storytelling for a long time. Ravnica should be go to multicolor. Mirrodin should be go to artifact. Muraganda should be go to mono color.

Muraganda never.

Hero

Gatherer scans are like 200 x 300 or something, lol. They were insufficient 10 years ago when people still ran desktop resolutions below 1080p, nowadays with retina rez it's totally nuts.

Semi-closed beta or something. They've signalled hard that it'll be something people can try playing this year but not a final release.

Yeah even avowed Tribal hater Maro admitted this would've been a better way to do BFZ.

They did as they wanted to do an all-encompassing 25th Anniversary announcement. I'd put $10 on FTV being dead, it's a pointless product.

It's Lilana's hometown, dawg.

Those tribal EDH decks would be a nice way of lowering the prices of Cavern of Souls and Aether Vial among others.

FTV is obsolete now that the masterpieces exist.

I agree that Masterpieces fills the same demographic that are generally into FTV but I really was hoping we could get to a 25th anniversary one. The Amonkhet Invocations are ugly. :/

OnPoint

Ravnica might as well be. It's been the center of storytelling for a long time. Ravnica should be go to multicolor. Mirrodin should be go to artifact. Muraganda should be go to mono color.

Muraganda never.

Ravnica brings great power levels but has such a boring ass story. If it were some kind of inter-planar crossroads where planeswalkers passed through and brought cool tales or adventures with them, I'd be all about it. But right now the surrounding story... it's just a bunch of static to me.

I don't think Magic's story needs a "home base". The whole idea is that there are infinite worlds right? Keep that shit going. If the narrative brings you back somewhere, cool, but don't make it the goal to get back to the same place over and over. That's boring as shit.

Santiako

Ravnica brings great power levels but has such a boring ass story. If it were some kind of inter-planar crossroads where planeswalkers passed through and brought cool tales or adventures with them, I'd be all about it. But right now the surrounding story... it's just a bunch of static to me.

I don't think Magic's story needs a "home base". The whole idea is that there are infinite worlds right? Keep that shit going. If the narrative brings you back somewhere, cool, but don't make it the goal to get back to the same place over and over. That's boring as shit.

Personally, I don't give a crap about the story, I just love the gameplay the guilds bring and I love the setting. I hope we go back there soon.

OnPoint

Personally, I don't give a crap about the story, I just love the gameplay the guilds bring and I love the setting. I hope we go back there soon.

Putting the actual cards aside, to me a setting goes part and parcel with the story. Yeah the architecture is grand and the creatures look cool, but without something giving them meaning they're just kind of there doing nothing. I guess that's my big problem with Ravnica. During RTR, there was this whole narrative with Jace and Vraska that I didn't even know existed. Also there's 10 guilds, each with their own wants and desires and leaders and characters and nobody gets anything of a spotlight or moment to shine. Then there was the whole cluster of the Dragon's Maze that felt like it was just trying to be Hunger Games meets Harry Potter, but it also didn't seem to have much of a purpose. As much as I complain about the writing we get now and the focus on the Origins 5, at least we're getting something direct and upfront. You really couldn't say that back then.

I guess what I'm saying in lots of words is that Ravnica looks cool and all, but I don't like it because I don't have a reason to care. There's a lot of potential, I just wish they'd give that to me.

Firemind

Tbh they shit the bed with RTR. OG Ravniva had cool worldbuilding. Then they wrote a convoluted story revolving around a maze and 10 champions running through them.

bigkrev

I think it's pretty likely that Commander 2018 will have a five color Urza commander.

nah, 5 classic Planeswalkers

U/G Urza- "He's very Simic"
R/U Jaya Ballard- "She's very cunning and crafty, very Izzet"
W/B Teferi- "While previous versions have been Blue, the idea of talking a contenent and sealing it off from everyone else is a very Orzhov idea"
W/R Serra- "The Plane she created solely with White mana is a very Boros idea"
G/B Daria- "This Planeswalker is pictured on one card, a White Disenchant varient, and we killed her in the book about 20 pages after introducing her. This is very Golgari"

I mean, would slivers be unexpected? In that it would be so obviously popular as to be the best selling deck of the set so there's no way they'd actually do it?

Just played against a dude in the beta who had built a Jund deck designed to abuse the Gitrog Monster. Turns out new Liliana and the Cycling lands make the monster super happy.

Going DEEP with AKH draft:

sdfsdfiobxa.png

Sandwurm Convergence, Heaven to Earth, New Perspectives and Pull from Tomorrow backed by a crapload of ramp, baby.

y2dvd

Woot 4-0 Legacy tonight with Infect. Being able to T2 kill several times tonight is gonna do that. Best format ever.

Black_Red

Just bought my pre-release ticket, 6 boosters, 100 dragonshield sleeves and a folder to finally try magic.
I have been playing the steam game, but since I'm not in the beta I cant test the new cards and I'm just playing the campaign to understand the mechanics (I play "Mitos y leyendas" a local game kind of similar to magic, so at least I think I understand most of the concepts. ).

Any resource to prepare the prerelease aside from this? http://draftsim.com/draft.php?mode=Sealed_AKH and youtubers analysis?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Karn, Bolas, and a restored Teferi would be the real retro options. Yes, I know Bolas wasn't on a PW card until Conflux but he has existed as a character since Legends.
Legends isn't necessarily set on Dominaria.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Return to Dominaria should have Pashalik Mons and a mechanic that makes Mons's Goblin Raiders somehow good.

Angry Grimace

I mean Tetsuo Umezawa is there
Tetsuo and Bolas (and sort of Dakkon Blackblade) are like the only characters with any lore. Some of them are just regular people like Nebuchadnezzar.

A better example of what you're saying is probably the fact that there are lands in Legends named "Urborg" and "Tolaria." (that are comically horrible as well as being part of a cycle with Karakas) I forgot about those. It's kind of comical that there is a Legendary Land named "Tolaria" with flavor text from English poet John Dryden and which has an activated ability that removes Banding from your opponents creatures.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rav ain't the center of shit. They'd have to do something like go full sigil to actually make that true.

Angry Grimace

I'd also like to see the other Elder Dragons come back in some capacity. I won't be surprised at all if Ugin is retconned into one of them in disguise to explain why Bolas wants him dead so badly.

cuc

For an "interplanar crossroads" setting, I'd prefer them to just blow up Dominaria, and turn it into Outland from World of Warcraft, a combination of floating continents and asteroids with an "anything goes" space frontier flavor. In fact Blizzard originally planned Outland to be exactly that, with each following expansion pack set on a new planet reached through an Outland portal. Also solves the problem that Dominaria is either too bland or too scattershot compared to the post-Mirrodin worldbuilding.

However I'm sure Dominaria will still be in one piece when we see it in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom