• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

Yeah, since Annihilator doesn't target anyone. It just affects whoever she attacks.

Good to know for so many reasons.

Also, never thought about whether or not you could Oblivion Ring Emrakul until the other day. Don't know why it never occurred to me that you could.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131362799]I think I've figured out a sideboard plan that beats Mono-Green.

•4x Nyx-Fleece Ram
•3x Arbor Colossus
•3x Mistcutter Hydra
•2x Hornet Nest
•2x Setessan Tactics
•1x Stain the Mind

Out:
3x Siege Rhino
2x Courser of Kruphix

In:
2x Hornet Nest
2x Setessan Tactics
1x Stain the Mind[/QUOTE]

This seems overly aggressive against one particular archetype. Thoughtseize and Despise are pretty good against big Green ramp.

Some random "testing decks" (I'm loathe to really buy into "testing" done randomly on the internet against questionable opponents). But still, possible control archetype?

//Creatures

2 Prognostic Sphinx

//Spells

4 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

3 Banishing Light
2 Bile Blight
4 Dissolve
3 End Hostilities
4 Hero's Downfall
4 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Nullify
3 Sign in Blood
2 Utter End

// Land

3 Flooded Strand
4 Island
3 Plains
4 Polluted Delta
3 Swamp
4 Temple of Deceit
3 Temple of Enlightenment
2 Temple of Silence

2 Deicide
2 Last Breath
3 Nyx-Fleece Ram
3 Reprisal
3 Thoughtseize
2 Tormod's Crypt

Maybe I'm crazy but this just seems like a bad version of Esper Control from the last standard. Like it's the exactly same idea but almost every key card is worse.

Why did I ever waste my money on SCG Premium? Patrick Chapin's Abzan midrange deck not only has 15 3-drops, 10 come into play tapped lands and no Elvish Mystics, but it runs Hero's Downfall, Courser and Brimaz.

Come the fuck on.

edit: there is literally an article you have to pay for so that can tell you which of their bulk uncommons to buy from them. Wow, what a privilege.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131381186]Why did I ever waste my money on SCG Premium? Patrick Chapin's Abzan midrange deck not only has 15 3-drops, 10 come into play tapped lands and no Elvish Mystics, but it runs Hero's Downfall, Courser and Brimaz.

Come the fuck on.

edit: there is literally an article you have to pay for so that can tell you which of their bulk uncommons to buy from them. Wow, what a privilege.[/QUOTE]

I don't get why anyone would.

I have 4 ETBT lands, and 9 3-drops. My curve seems higher than what some people are looking for and Murderous Cut is making the curve seem higher than I'm expecting.

ironmang

Decided on going mono black aggro for the start of khans standard after having no luck trading for naya or junk midrange staples at my shop. Looks like it'll be a fun deck for a month or two and is reasonably cheap besides the 8 fetches I'm in the process of acquiring. (5/8 so far) Excited to see how Mogis's Marauder performs as a 4 of when black creatures are a lot less common.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131381186]Why did I ever waste my money on SCG Premium? Patrick Chapin's Abzan midrange deck not only has 15 3-drops, 10 come into play tapped lands and no Elvish Mystics, but it runs Hero's Downfall, Courser and Brimaz.

Come the fuck on.

edit: there is literally an article you have to pay for so that can tell you which of their bulk uncommons to buy from them. Wow, what a privilege.[/QUOTE]

Between tcgplayer, fireball, forums like mtgs, and reddit there's way more than enough information out there for free. Only time I ever have SCG premium is for the month following my rare Open appearance.

kirblar

Elvish Mystic is deliberately suboptimal in many decks in this format. Last time Shards had Herarch AND Birds in the format, and every non-Jund green deck basically played a full set and was G/W/x based.

They actively don't want that type of 1->3->4->5 Fires curve deck in the format anymore, which is understandable, which is why Mystic got to stick around, as its actively bad in trying to cast the 3 color Gold cards in the format that were coming in. It's good in Monsters/PWs and Mono-G, but not BUG, Abzan, or some Temur decks

Angry Grimace

Instead of Mistcutter Hydra, I think I'm going to run some Hushwing Gryffs just to fuck Genesis Hydra, Hornet Queen and Reclamation Sage.

I will admit that I love BBD's Mardu midrange deck with the correct 4 Sorins in the mainboard.

I don't get why anyone would.

I have 4 ETBT lands, and 9 3-drops. My curve seems higher than what some people are looking for and Murderous Cut is making the curve seem higher than I'm expecting.

That's totally reasonable numbers, and I count murderous cut as a 6-7 drop just because that's around the turn I expect to be casting it. This isn't a deck where we run out early removal them drop bombs, we drop bombs then clear the path.

Elvish Mystic is deliberately suboptimal in many decks in this format. Last time Shards had Herarch AND Birds in the format, and every non-Jund green deck basically played a full set and was G/W/x based.

They actively don't want that type of 1->3->4->5 Fires curve deck in the format anymore, which is understandable, which is why Mystic got to stick around, as its actively bad in trying to cast the 3 color Gold cards in the format that were coming in. It's good in Monsters/PWs and Mono-G, but not BUG, Abzan, or some Temur decks

Elvish Mystic is why I run Siege Rhino and High Sentinels and not Anafenza and Abzan Charm.

Angry Grimace

Doesn't do a thing against Hydra.

Stupid not-ETB.

Reprint Deathgrip.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131384063]I will admit that I love BBD's Mardu midrange deck with the correct 4 Sorins in the mainboard.

That's totally reasonable numbers, and I count murderous cut as a 6-7 drop just because that's around the turn I expect to be casting it. This isn't a deck where we run out early removal them drop bombs, we drop bombs then clear the path.

Elvish Mystic is why I run Siege Rhino and High Sentinels and not Anafenza and Abzan Charm.[/QUOTE]

I mean that and Siege Rhino is good on its own.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131384987]I just mean I don't play WGB cards because they don't work well with Elvish Mystic.[/QUOTE]

That's just because you have a man-crush on Elvish Mystic. Its not that amazing in this deck.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131385479]What else am I going to do on turn one? Play a Sandsteppe Citadel?[/QUOTE]

Who cares? You're overrating 1-drops. Seriously, just run a playset of Thoughtseize and some Despise if it matters that much, both do a lot more than Mystic and are less likely to be dead cards late game.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131385479]What else am I going to do on turn one? Play a Sandsteppe Citadel?[/QUOTE]

COUGH
Soldier of the Pantheon in a tricolor set
COUGH

Firemind

I just found another neat interaction with Battlefield Thaumaturge.

Image.ashx
+
Image.ashx
= ???

With a much better mana base, Heroic Jeskai might actually be a thing. Now you might think Launch the Fleet is a more conditional, one-time only Mardu Ascendancy, until I realized it also triggers off tokens. And what better way to do it than the Rabblemeister himself.

2 Plains
2 Mountain
1 Island
4 Flooded Strand
4 Battlefield Forge
3 Shivan Reef
4 Mana Confluence

4 Akroan Crusader
4 Satyr Hoplite
4 Favored Hoplite
4 Battlefield Thaumaturge
4 Phalanx Leader
4 Goblin Rabblemaster

4 Coordinated Assault
4 Launch the Fleet
4 Gods Willing
4 Dragon Mantle

Brave Naya

Creatures(18)
  • 4x Soldier of the Pantheon
  • 4x Bassara Tower Archer
  • 4x Fabled Hero
  • 4x Mogis' Warhound
  • 2x Boon Satyr

Spells(20)
  • 4x Defiant Strike
  • 4x Titan's Strength
  • 4x God's Willing
  • 4x Become Immense
  • 4x Ride Down

Lands(22)
  • 4x Mana Confluence
  • 4x Wooded Foothills
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 4x Plains
  • 4x Forest
  • 2x Mountain

Sideboard(15)
  • 4x Chained to the Rocks
  • 4x Xenagos, the Reveler
  • 2x Aegis of the Gods
  • 4x Ajani's Presence
  • 1x Iroas, God of Victory

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131393954]Dem godlike Siege Rhino blocks[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I would consider a block where you take 3 to be "godlike."

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131402321]Brave Naya

Creatures(18)
  • 4x Soldier of the Pantheon
  • 4x Bassara Tower Archer
  • 4x Fabled Hero
  • 4x Mogis' Warhound
  • 2x Boon Satyr

Spells(20)
  • 4x Defiant Strike
  • 4x Titan's Strength
  • 4x God's Willing
  • 4x Become Immense
  • 4x Ride Down

Lands(22)
  • 4x Mana Confluence
  • 4x Wooded Foothills
  • 4x Windswept Heath
  • 4x Plains
  • 4x Forest
  • 2x Mountain

Sideboard(15)
  • 4x Chained to the Rocks
  • 4x Xenagos, the Reveler
  • 2x Aegis of the Gods
  • 4x Ajani's Presence
  • 1x Iroas, God of Victory
[/QUOTE]

I don't think it counts as "Brave" Naya if you don't have Brave the Elements.

Angry Grimace

With Painter's Servant, isn't that that's pretty rough lock for Modern? (I do like that card, though. And Douse.)

They will never reprint Deathgrip or Lifeforce in a normal set because they don't print that much lock-down hate. Blood Moon is okay since it fucks everyone equally. Boil is fine because fuck Islands anyways.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131406185]Fabled Hero is a brave dude ^_^[/QUOTE]

I wish they'd reprint Sword of Feast and Famine so I can live the dream and connect off of a Prophetic Flamespeaker with one equipped.

They will never reprint Deathgrip or Lifeforce in a normal set because they don't print that much lock-down hate. Blood Moon is okay since it fucks everyone equally. Boil is fine because fuck Islands anyways.

Yeah, that makes sense.

I thought that those big land destruction spells would be fun, but in casual games with friends, it actually feels kinda shitty, lol. My intention was to cast them and change the text of the card with other cards. I figured if I had to work a bit harder for it, it would be more fair, casually speaking.

"So.. tap 4 and play.. Flashfires."

"Oh, you only have plains?"

:\

kirblar

I wish they'd reprint Sword of Feast and Famine so I can live the dream and connect off of a Prophetic Flamespeaker with one equipped.
I casually won a game off of a Mirran Crusader with Sword of War/Peace first week of Innistrad block. Guy was playing too defensively and I just drew, equipped, and leveled him through his entire army of blockers.

Angry Grimace

The hilarious part of Flamespeaker is that they only really need to print something like Bonesplitter to make him sort of decent.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131406728]How close is Gorgon's Head to that? :3[/QUOTE]

You're making me sad. I just want to live a fantasy where I tap out for Sword/equip, hit them, untap, exile a Bolt, play the bolt, then hit them again and untap again, then play more bolts.

Anyone use Puca Trade? I just signed up for an account, got some bonus points for creating an account, and made a Want list, and someone already snatched my points to send me some cards I asked for. Wondering if it's worthwhile in the long run?

Angry Grimace

The more I think about it, the more I like High Sentinels of Arashin. Why do people think this card is "meh?" I thought it was awesome when I first saw it, but seriously, its got three lines of relevant text, evasion and mana sink permanent buff for multiple creatures.

kirblar

The more I think about it, the more I like High Sentinels of Arashin. Why do people think this card is "meh?" I thought it was awesome when I first saw it, but seriously, its got three lines of relevant text, evasion and mana sink permanent buff for multiple creatures.
It's a very stupid card that will see play because it's a very stupid card. I got a set for 1.50 and opened 3 in my packs, (2 prize, 1 in my insano Abzan pool.)

Its insane in a deck with anafenza, ascendancy and the charm. But otherwise its half a broodmate roc for one less white mana.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131411690]Its insane in a deck with anafenza, ascendancy and the charm. But otherwise its half a broodmate roc for one less white mana.[/QUOTE]

Wingmate Roc isn't even necessarily a better card. Nothing about High Sentinels is conditional.

Angry Grimace

Mercy killing the flashback Tempest drafts tomorrow in favor of Triple Innistrad. Muahahha

Angry Grimace

Is there anything more annoying than digging through box after box to figure out where that last Nyx-Fleece Ram is and/or whether you even own any Drown in Sorrow? Fuck.

Thoughts on Firedrinker Satyr post-rotation? It's the only 1-drop that can profitably attack into a Caryatid. Think it'll go up in value?

Angry Grimace

Thoughts on Firedrinker Satyr post-rotation? It's the only 1-drop that can profitably attack into a Caryatid. Think it'll go up in value?

It'll continue to be a dollar rare. Theros is the most opened set ever.

Wingmate Roc isn't even necessarily a better card. Nothing about High Sentinels is conditional.

I run a 1/3 split of Sentinels to Wingmates because Sentinels feels more like a synergy card and is more fragile and Wingmate Roc is slightly high up on the mana curve for me to jam 4 but is otherwise insane and casting them back to back is back breaking.

Sneaking in a Sentinel and dumping counters on your team before attacking with Ajani just feels awesome. Wingmate Roc gives me the card advantage giggles almost like how Genesis Hydra used to, but it actually comes down on time. Plus, I'll take anything with incidental lifegain.

Firemind

Well, except costing a million mana if you want to pump your team. Otherwise, a 3/4 flier for four is a bit average. It's no Restoration Angel. :lol

lol, that's kind of hilarious Firemind. Tell me it works well pls :)

It's a bit unrefined at this point (Thaumaturge is the only blue card lol). It's basically a glorified theros draft deck haha. I wonder if Monastery Swiftspear is better than Satyr Hoplite in a deck with 16 noncreature spells... Maybe with 20. I also want to fit Stoke the Flames somewhere and maybe a miser Harness by Force. Double Threaten for four mana seems really good. Also maybe Dauntless Onslaught. It's bonkers with a Thaumaturge in play but is otherwise average.

Angry Grimace

Well, except costing a million mana if you want to pump your team. Otherwise, a 3/4 flier for four is a bit average. It's no Restoration Angel. :lol
Its not a "3/4 flier for four" unless you just ignore the other two abilities and comparing it to Restoration Angel is, at best, pointless. You might as well argue Treasure Cruise is worse than Ancestral Recall.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131425247]I run a 1/3 split of Sentinels to Wingmates because Sentinels feels more like a synergy card and is more fragile and Wingmate Roc is slightly high up on the mana curve for me to jam 4 but is otherwise insane and casting them back to back is back breaking.

Sneaking in a Sentinel and dumping counters on your team before attacking with Ajani just feels awesome. Wingmate Roc gives me the card advantage giggles almost like how Genesis Hydra used to, but it actually comes down on time. Plus, I'll take anything with incidental lifegain.[/QUOTE]

I like both of them, but one of them looks like an uncommon from Journey into Nyx and the other is hilarious.

ironmang

Has there been any talk of a Bw warrior aggro deck with the white splash primarily for Chief of the Edge and Oreskos Swiftclaw? Two of the B 2/1s are Warriors as well as Mardu Skullhunter and the Swiftclaw. The monoblack build just doesn't have any impressive 2 drops having to choose between the likes of Pain Seer and Spiteful Returned to fill the curve. Makes Mogis's Marauder a little worse and having to play a set of Caves of Koilos is another downside but the increased firepower seems worth it.

Angry Grimace

Has there been any talk of a Bw warrior aggro deck with the white splash primarily for Chief of the Edge and Oreskos Swiftclaw? Two of the B 2/1s are Warriors as well as Mardu Skullhunter and the Swiftclaw. The monoblack build just doesn't have any impressive 2 drops having to choose between the likes of Pain Seer and Spiteful Returned to fill the curve. Makes Mogis's Marauder a little worse and having to play a set of Caves of Koilos is another downside but the increased firepower seems worth it.

Not seriously. The warrior tribal thing is just something you can do in limited, really.

Pain Seer and Spiteful Returned are both levels above Chief of the Edge. It's not even a comparison. Orekos Swiftclaw does nothing. The benefit of MBA is that you get a bunch of cheap but flexible creatures that give reach. It doesn't have room for a country 3/1 for 2.

Splash white for sorin and maybe a random sideboard card.

ironmang

Not seriously. The warrior tribal thing is just something you can do in limited, really.

It's not really a tribal deck. Just a couple 3 power 2-drops with one of them interacting very well with the rest of the deck. Both seem better than the rest of the mono black options at the same CMC besides Skullhunter.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131428691]Pain Seer and Spiteful Returned are both levels above Chief of the Edge. It's not even a comparison. Orekos Swiftclaw does nothing. The benefit of MBA is that you get a bunch of cheap but flexible creatures that give reach. It doesn't have room for a country 3/1 for 2.

Splash white for sorin and maybe a random sideboard card.[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Pain Seer is slow and a bad topdeck. Chief hits harder by itself and is a much better topdeck. Swiftclaw was one of the only other possible 2 drops that could replace the current mediocre ones. Damn didn't think my idea would be shot down this aggressively lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom