• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Frog of Paradise enters the battlefield, if there are no +1/+1 counters on it, put a legendary 20/20 black Avatar creature token with flying and indestructible named Marit Lage onto the battlefield.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";131524265]When Frog of Paradise enters the battlefield, if there are no +1/+1 counters on it, put a legendary 20/20 black Avatar creature token with flying and indestructible named Mark Rosewater onto the battlefield.[/QUOTE]

I think we're almost there, guys.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I need to figure out a way to get Flying Spaghetti Monster combo going in Vintage.

When Frog of Paradise enters the battlefield, if there are no +1/+1 counters on it, put a legendary 20/20 black Avatar creature token with flying and indestructible named Mark Rosewater onto the battlefield. It has "When a creature enters the battlefield, destroy all monogreen creatures with flying. Prevent all damage dealt by instants and sorceries with 'hornet' or 'bee' in their names. All creatures you control are Squirrel Ooze Zombies in addition to their other types."

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
When Frog of Paradise enters the battlefield, if there are no +1/+1 counters on it, put a legendary 20/20 black Avatar creature token with flying and indestructible named Mark Rosewater onto the battlefield. It has "When a creature enters the battlefield, destroy all monogreen creatures with flying. Prevent all damage dealt by instants and sorceries with 'hornet' or 'bee' in their names. All creatures you control are Squirrel Ooze Zombies in addition to their other types."

Banana

Artifact 0

T: Destroy target Mark Rosewater. You win the game.

Just make Frog of Paradise a functional reprint of Library of Congress.

Frog of Paradise counts as a basic land.
You may pay 0 Mana rather than pay the mana cost for spells that you play.
You may play nine additional lands on each of your turns.
0: Choose up to nine cards you own from outside the game and put them into your hand.
0: End the turn.
0: Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.
0: Choose up to nine cards you own from outside the game and shuffle them into your library.
0: Draw a card.
0: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.
0: ~this~ deals one damage to target creature or player.
0: Untap target permanent.
0: Tap target permanent.
0: You gain 50 life.
0: Destroy target permanent.
0: Return target permanent to its owner's hand.
0: Return target card from your graveyard to your hand.
0: Add WUBRG to your mana pool.
0: Add one mana of any color to your mana pool.

Angry Grimace

the lol

O0CEyLF.png

I posted about this yesterday. He was $25 everywhere and still $15 at starcity. Their conspiracy to drive his price up worked. BBD and CVM are getting royalties. Believe.

kirblar

Elspeth was everywhere and still bottomed out at $17 or so. Just give the supply crunch time to resolve. I just got a cancellation (on 2 dig through times) due to allocation issues.

Zocano

Good thing I opened a Sorin. I get to trade him off for stuff I actually want.

Also is Nissa ever going back to a reasonable price? I doubt it cause M15 and not really heavily opened but I would like to hope ):

kirblar

Good thing I opened a Sorin. I get to trade him off for stuff I actually want.

Also is Nissa ever going back to a reasonable price? I doubt it cause M15 and not really heavily opened but I would like to hope ):
She's a near-lock for an M16 reprint, given Zen II coming up.

Angry Grimace

Man I feel like Planeswalkers are going to be way more of a thing this standard than in the last couple years.

Angry Grimace

I somehow don't think Sylvan Caryatids are getting cheaper soon.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Think i'll hold onto my foil Savage Knuckleblade on the rare chance it goes up slightly if/ when Temur gets big.

Angry Grimace

Think i'll hold onto my foil Savage Knuckleblade on the rare chance it goes up slightly if/ when Temur gets big.

Its an undeniably good card, but its a regular rare that fits into exactly one deck due to its colors. I don't see it moving much.

Unless the Pro Tour changes everything, I see them holding steady or rising until, like, the end of next summer, when people start realizing they're going to rotate soon

I have 4 of them, but even the deck I wanted to get for my wife needs 4 =/

Disclaimer: I'm constructed-ignant

Anyone have any thoughts on Keranos in standard? It seems like it could work quite well in a control shell.

Edit: Actually nm, probably be pretty bad versus Mono Green.

Draft mono-red in cube. Opponent plays Voice into Kitchen Finks in games two and three. Unreal.

EDIT: And sweet justice (?). Got concessions from my round two opponent on turn 4, then turn 3.

I'm always afraid of going mono-red in cube because there are way too many annoying cards against it. Silver Knight, Primal Command, En-vec, Finks, Baloth to name a few.

Yeah, but they have to actually draw them, and you can usually power through one of them. And sometimes you just race them with Sulfuric Vortex regardless. I even drafted a Magma Spray pretty highly just to have an out against Finks, but obviously never drew it. I do think that mono-red isn't as dominant as it was in previous versions of the cube, and that's a better thing overall.

It also just feels kinda silly to lose to exactly the same series of plays in games two and three

Turn 2 Voice
Turn 3 Finks
Turn 4 Court Hussar
...lets me slog through his stuff, then when I finally break through...
Turn X Control Magic

Firemind

There's online cube again? Well why didn't you say so!

Disclaimer: I'm constructed-ignant

Anyone have any thoughts on Keranos in standard? It seems like it could work quite well in a control shell.

Edit: Actually nm, probably be pretty bad versus Mono Green.
Mono green loses to Wraths pretty badly. Problem is Jeskai didn't really add any good control cards.

Fuuuuu...

Three people dropped from the queue, so somehow I got a bye in round three at 1-1. Okay, so it's nice that I got my buy-in back, but I wanted to play with this deck!

It looks remarkably similar to the regular version. But it's a sweet, sweet card.

My understanding is that artists are given the same art description as the version in booster packs, so it's understandable.

EDIT: Learned from another thread that apparently this existed at some point:
6164001056.jpg

I can't help but notice they had mythic rares before Magic did (well, assuming this came out before Shards).

That's what you get for drafting Fun Police in cube. :p

Well then. Why don't I just go to time every round instead?

fa9AtRt.jpg

Yes, the Bob is SUPER greedy

EDIT: After grinding out sweet victory in round one, I lost round two to the natural order deck. My deck's gameplan is really bad against the guy who just jams mana elves all the time. We'll see what happens in round three.

Vitanimus

I played Magic for the first time earlier and it was surprisingly fun

I used my friend's random deck but he kept playing Heroes Bane and sweeping :'(

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
My deck up to this point; Temur MidRange... Something:

Creatures (27):
3x Elvish Mystic
3x Rattleclaw Mystic
3x Sylvan Caryatid
3x Genesis Hydra
3x Courser of Kruphix
3x Savage Knuckleblade
2x Polukranos, World Eater
1x Xenagos, God of Revels
2x Stormbreath Dragon
2x Surrak Dragonclaw
2x Arbor Colossus

Spells (10):
2x Temur Ascendancy
2x Temur Charm
3x Xenagos, the Reveler
1x Nissa, the Worldwaker
2x Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Lands (23):
1x Island
1x Mountain
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1x Shivan Reef
2x Forest
2x Yavimaya Coast
3x Wooded Foothills
4x Mana Confluence
4x Temple of Abandon
4x Frontier Bivouac

Sideboard:
1x Bow of Nylea
2x Sagu Mauler
2x Nylea's Disciple
3x Crater's Claws
3x Anger of the Gods
4x Mistcutter Hydra

I will probably die a lot from land usage alone, but I love it.

Angry Grimace

My deck up to this point; Temur MidRange... Something:

Creatures (27):
3x Elvish Mystic
3x Rattleclaw Mystic
3x Sylvan Caryatid
3x Genesis Hydra
3x Courser of Kruphix
3x Savage Knuckleblade
2x Polukranos, World Eater
1x Xenagos, God of Revels
2x Stormbreath Dragon
2x Surrak Dragonclaw
2x Arbor Colossus

Spells (10):
2x Temur Ascendancy
2x Temur Charm
3x Xenagos, the Reveler
1x Nissa, the Worldwaker
2x Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Lands (23):
1x Island
1x Mountain
1x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
1x Shivan Reef
2x Forest
2x Yavimaya Coast
3x Wooded Foothills
4x Mana Confluence
4x Temple of Abandon
4x Frontier Bivouac

Sideboard:
1x Bow of Nylea
2x Sagu Mauler
2x Nylea's Disciple
3x Crater's Claws
3x Anger of the Gods
4x Mistcutter Hydra

I will probably die a lot from land usage alone, but I love it.

I think you need more land in general. 23 lands i probably not quite enough for a three-color deck. I think Genesis Hydra is wrong for this deck too; the curve is quite high so you're not terribly likely to actually hit anything.

pelicansurf

I think you need more land in general. I think Genesis Hydra is bad in this deck too. The curve is quite high so you're not terribly likely to actually hit anything.

My current deck has gone 3-1 in the past few FNMs, with a similar curve and land distribution (23), but it was GR, while it is now 3 colors. I'm going to give it a few test runs to see how it goes. I'm basically banking on 9 mana dorks to bail me out.

I also love genesis hydra, but the lack of devotion definitely is going to make hard to spit it out for a large amount. However, I can cast it for 5 and confidently be able to drop at least 2 creatures down (genesis + anything else).

The current "curve"
1 Drop - 3
2 Drop - 6
3 Drop - 11
4 Drop - 5
5 Drop - 10
6 Drop+ (Genesis Hydra) - 2

A slow metagame will play in my favor a bit.

Angry Grimace

A combo I really like is Chandra, Pyromaster with Courser of Kruphix.

Firemind

23 lands seem fine. I ran 23 lands in fires and that had 4 saproling bursts, 4 fireballs and a couple of shivan wurms and two-headed dragons.

That single nykthos seems super awkward though.

pelicansurf

Yeah, I snuck it in there due to the 42 green mana symbols that my deck is running. It's only there for a christmas land pairing with genesis hydra.

Yeef

I played Magic for the first time earlier and it was surprisingly fun

I used my friend's random deck but he kept playing Heroes Bane and sweeping :'(
You should put more removal into your friend's random deck. What I usually do when playing with new players, if offer to swap decks with them after a few games. Helps keep things interesting and gets rid of the feeling that the deck is beating you rather than the player.

That is a much more satisfactory cube deck.

Though... Thalia?

It's been mildly awkward at times. Also it's been great at times. Welcome to Staxland, where I try to make everyone's life miserable.

Thalia has been amazing every time I drafted it, though probably not in that deck. :lol

She and Tangle Wire does some work.

Match three, game one. I am on the draw.

T1, lands go
T2, I play Bob
T3, he plays mainphase Bant Charm so I don't draw a card, which lets me play Strip Mine, Crucible.
T4, he plays land, go. I strip a Plains, strip another Plains (taking him off white), pass to second main. He plays FoF, revealing Elixir, two lands, baby Jace, Dismantling Blow. I put Jace/Blow together, and he snap takes the pile. Then I play Thalia.

He spends his next turn Swords'ing the Thalia, and lucky for me he bricks on his draw step (remember, I made sure he got no lands off the FoF), and never has three lands in play again. He concedes a few turns later with zero lands on board.

I obviously got a little lucky that he didn't find a land on the critical turn, but that's Magic. The Thalia let me protect the Crucible from 3CC answers for a turn, which ended up being all needed.

Game two lasted much longer, but two different versions of Elspeth were enough to finish him off after he Sphere'd my Crucible and Balanced away five of my cards. I finished 2-1.

duxstar

My experience with Magic testing decks today.
Turn 1 Bloodsoaked Champion, Turn 2 Bloodsoaked Champion, turn 3 get bile blighted/Anger of of the gods for 3 creatures wiped out. Turn 4 play creature , get hero's downfalled / Mardu Charmed , turn 5 repeat step 4, turn 5 IF my fleeceman lion or Siege rhino have survived finally swing in for 3 more damage after my first 4 from the bloodsoakeds.

Everyone Is playing reactively and it pissed me off. The only aggro deck that stands a chance is the red decks.

I could show you the logs where I play a creature EVERY turn and get screwed in card advantage.

Thoughtseize, Nyx Fleece ram , Heros Downfall , Murderous Cut for 1 mana after 3 turns. Its a slog for any creature, I haven't had a Brimaz live to attack , in all of testing. Everyone is durdling till their planeswalker/super bomb

kirblar

My experience with Magic testing decks today.
Turn 1 Bloodsoaked Champion, Turn 2 Bloodsoaked Champion, turn 3 get bile blighted/Anger of of the gods for 3 creatures wiped out. Turn 4 play creature , get hero's downfalled / Mardu Charmed , turn 5 repeat step 4, turn 5 IF my fleeceman lion or Siege rhino have survived finally swing in for 3 more damage after my first 4 from the bloodsoakeds.

Everyone Is playing reactively and it pissed me off. The only aggro deck that stands a chance is the red decks.

I could show you the logs where I play a creature EVERY turn and get screwed in card advantage.

Thoughtseize, Nyx Fleece ram , Heros Downfall , Murderous Cut for 1 mana after 3 turns. Its a slog for any creature, I haven't had a Brimaz live to attack , in all of testing. Everyone is durdling till their planeswalker/super bomb
Yeah, I was kinda worried about this w/ how much good single-target removal there is. (Thoughtseize, Silence, Downfall, Utter End, Abzan Charm, etc.)

It's why I'm probably going to Mardu Rabble if possible, despite not being an aggro player normally. (Got "Ok, this deck must be good" from a buddy after I picked up B/R zombies after the GP it won, lol.)

Kacar

Here is what I'm sleeving up tommorrow. Its bad but its mostly based on what I already have and the style I like to play.

Creatures(3)
3xStormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers(4)
1xSarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
3xLiliana Vess

Spells(28)
4xThoughtseize
3xDespise
3xBile Blight
3xMagma Jet
4xAnger of the Gods
4xHero's Downfall
4xRead the Bones
3xSilence the Believers

Lands(25)
1xUrborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4xBloodstained Mire
4xBloodfell Caves
4xTemple of Malice
8xSwamp
4xMountain

Sideboard(15)
2xMagma Spray
4xDark Betrayal
2xPharika's Cure
2xDrown in Sorrow
2xErebos, God of the Dead
2xMogis, God of Slaughter
1xCaustic Tar(the mirror breaker!!)

Way too much removal, should be fun.

Here is what I'm sleeving up tommorrow. Its bad but its mostly based on what I already have and the style I like to play.

Creatures(3)
3xStormbreath Dragon

Planeswalkers(4)
1xSarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
3xLiliana Vess

Spells(28)
4xThoughtseize
3xDespise
3xBile Blight
3xMagma Jet
4xAnger of the Gods
4xHero's Downfall
4xRead the Bones
3xSilence the Believers

Lands(25)
1xUrborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
4xBloodstained Mire
4xBloodfell Caves
4xTemple of Malice
8xSwamp
4xMountain

Sideboard(15)
2xMagma Spray
4xDark Betrayal
2xPharika's Cure
2xDrown in Sorrow
2xErebos, God of the Dead
2xMogis, God of Slaughter
1xCaustic Tar(the mirror breaker!!)

Way too much removal, should be fun.

Man, if only there was just one card. That would be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom