• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

There is a real issue with MTGO redemptions being way down now.

That additional $20 fee had a much bigger impact on the paper magic economy than I thought it would've. It stopped being worthwhile for a lot of people to redeem sets, myself included.

I don't think mutavault, stoke the flames, or nissa could've ever reached their peak prices without that rate hike.

bigkrev

So, what's the thought on Jeskai Ascendency in Modern? At first glance to me, it seems like a more janky version of Storm that is more resilient to Graveyard Hate and Leyline, but with a harder manabase and the need to stick a creature that can attack (or use a Glittering Wish for Flesh/Blood), but I could be missing something. I noticed it jumped Glittering Wish pretty high already.

OnPoint

Ugh Glittering Wish is that much now? I was gonna buy a few for commander but I forgot.

I fucking hate the secondary market sometimes lol

bigkrev

Ugh Glittering Wish is that much now? I was gonna buy a few for commander but I forgot.

I fucking hate the secondary market sometimes lol

To be fair, it's a card from Future Sight. If a rare from that set gets even fringe amounts of hype it's going to be 20 dollars overnight, lol.

bigkrev

Do Wishes even do anything in Commander?

In casual commander, they function exactly as printed- but it's best if a time limit (of say, 90 seconds) is imposed in finding the card you want.
If your playing competitive commander, they only function if your using sideboards.

Firemind

i thought wishes did nothing in commander. i mean i suppose you could have your own casual group rules, but burning wish for boiling seas, flashfires, ruination, anarchy does not seem like it'd be fun at all. same why riftsweeper does nothing

Started rewatching the Duel Masters anime (seriously underrated, though it starts out as just lame, as the dub went on they started getting sillier and sillier to the point that they actually started editing in their own extensive visual gags) and it occurs to me that in a world where the best players are able manipulate their deck to draw a useful card at the right time, that would encourage decks with a lot of one-ofs and with normally sideboarded cards in the mainboard.

Also, if I just went off what the characters were saying, I never would have understood that Duel Masters played very similarly to Magic, especially since they mostly refuse to actually explain the cards. FYI, the manga the anime is based on actually did straight up use Magic as its card game, and Duel Masters the card game was created because Wizards wasn't comfortable with Magic being used this way. And like Yu-Gi-Oh, the anime started before the Duel Masters card game was actually printed.

On another note, it would be neat if Fate Reforged or "Louie" had a card like this:

Maybe Finisher Dragon - 5RR
Creature - Dragon
Flying
Whenever Maybe Finisher Dragon deals combat damage to an opponent, if that player has 3 or less life, flip a coin. If you win the flip, Maybe Finisher Dragon deals 3 damage to that player.
Morph 3RRR
6/3

bigkrev

Started rewatching the Duel Masters anime (seriously underrated, though it starts out as just lame, as the dub went on they started getting sillier and sillier to the point that they actually started editing in their own extensive visual gags) and it occurs to me that in a world where the best players are able manipulate their deck to draw a useful card at the right time, that would encourage decks with a lot of one-ofs and with normally sideboarded cards in the mainboard.

Also, if I just went off what the characters were saying, I never would have understood that Duel Masters played very similarly to Magic, especially since they mostly refuse to actually explain the cards. FYI, the manga the anime is based on actually did straight up use Magic as its card game, and Duel Masters the card game was created because Wizards wasn't comfortable with Magic being used this way. And like Yu-Gi-Oh, the anime started before the Duel Masters card game was actually printed.

I've always wanted to check that out, but I've never even found Raws, much less translated versions of the Manga.

Yeef

That's what tutors do. In modern, you see it a lot in pod decks and, similarly, in decks that run glittering wish. In standard, ysan and Chord decks will often run utility creatures as 1-ofs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So, what's the thought on Jeskai Ascendency in Modern? At first glance to me, it seems like a more janky version of Storm that is more resilient to Graveyard Hate and Leyline, but with a harder manabase and the need to stick a creature that can attack (or use a Glittering Wish for Flesh/Blood), but I could be missing something. I noticed it jumped Glittering Wish pretty high already.

It's literally going to get banned.

kirblar

That additional $20 fee had a much bigger impact on the paper magic economy than I thought it would've. It stopped being worthwhile for a lot of people to redeem sets, myself included.

I don't think mutavault, stoke the flames, or nissa could've ever reached their peak prices without that rate hike.
Bigger issue: V4 halved (possibly more than halved) the player base.
Its probably SCG rigging the market.
It's not- it's a good uncommon from a barely opened set. Path was at 5-7 bux when it was in Standard. Card prices are increasing due to the MTGO stuff spilling over and M15 not getting future print runs.

Stoke the Flames was one of those RareUncommons. I opened 2 boxes of M15 and managed to get 3 copies of the card in total. Sometimes there are Uncommons that are just like that. And it's a 4-of in a ton of decks. And it's from a core set. Not a perfect storm, but one with a good stiff wind. Monastery Swiftspear, Murderous Cut, and Hordeling Outburst are at a pretty low rate, from my experience, as well. But they're going to be in one of the most opened sets in Magic, so that'll make up for it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Who decides what cards are going to banned? I thought Modern was an open set.

Anything that enables a Turn 3 or earlier win with any kind of consistency. This is what Jeskai Ascendancy is doing.

OnPoint

It's not- it's a good uncommon from a barely opened set. Path was at 5-7 bux when it was in Standard. Card prices are increasing due to the MTGO stuff spilling over and M15 not getting future print runs.

Yup. Stoke is literally 1/3 cards people want most from M15. Rabblemaster and Nissa being the other two. The rest of the set is meh, and priced that way to boot.

That's what tutors do. In modern, you see it a lot in pod decks and, similarly, in decks that run glittering wish. In standard, ysan and Chord decks will often run utility creatures as 1-ofs.

Well yeah, but I'm referring to Heart of the Cards and/or your hand glowing at a key point in the game, allowing you to topdeck just the card you need.

Angry Grimace

Goddamn my MTGO prerelease sealed pool is *laughably* bad. Like I'm considering just dropping now because I don't want to play it =/

Angry Grimace

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that bullshit pack wars format is a bullshit pack wars format.

I bet you I could make money by just buying VMA packs right now and then just selling them to the bots in like 5 months when Black Lotus is 500 tickets or something.

OnPoint

Is there a format of magic where literally anything goes? Where first turn wins are "okay".

Like Sigma said, Vintage and Legacy, but they're policed by Force of Will.

Modern does not have any card with that kind of utility, and WotC is not looking likely to print things of that power level again, so in order to keep from having to do so they lock the format out of needing it. That's why Modern is considered a T4 or later format. So people can actually play the game.

Who decides what cards are going to banned? I thought Modern was an open set.

T2 Christmasland Win

T1 Land, Birds
T2 Ascendency

Cast Gitaxian Probe to untap Birds, loot, and draw a card. From here Probe, Cerulean/Crimson Wisps, and Manamorphose act as rituals, and all of the 1-CC cantrips are free, while also digging through the deck. I think these decks have finalized on winning with Glittering Wish finding a Flesh//Blood as opposed to Grapeshot, but it's fairly trivial to actually win at this point.

Arksy

Card interactions

Originally, Magic did not limit the number of copies of a card you could play in a deck; this allowed first-turn wins with decks comprised of twenty Black Lotus, twenty Channel, and twenty Fireball. The four-of maximum was quickly added to the rules to avoid this, and Black Lotus and Channel were later restricted or banned in their environments to make this even less likely.

*Looks up Black Lotus, Channel and Fireball...laughs manically*

I bet you I could make money by just buying VMA packs right now and then just selling them to the bots in like 5 months when Black Lotus is 500 tickets or something.

I feel like I should be betting on the MTGO stock market and buying dual lands or VMA packs or something. But I'm honestly just too spooked about the current player base and the stability of MTGO to do that.

OnPoint

T2 Christmasland Win

T1 Land, Birds
T2 Ascendency

Cast Gitaxian Probe to untap Birds, loot, and draw a card. From here Probe, Cerulean/Crimson Wisps, and Manamorphose act as rituals, and all of the 1-CC cantrips are free, while also digging through the deck. I think these decks have finalized on winning with Glittering Wish finding a Flesh//Blood as opposed to Grapeshot, but it's fairly trivial to actually win at this point.

The worst part is that when Ascendancy is banned, Wish will not come down.

Angry Grimace

*Looks up Black Lotus, Channel and Fireball...laughs manically*

This never actually occurred by the way. Mostly because you literally would not be able to find 20 Black Lotus.

That said, the real key of the combo is Channel + Fireball, So for a turn 1 win, you just needed a way to make R and G mana, so you still had the Mox cards, though in that case, you either needed a dual land and a Mox, a basic land and a Mox of the other needed color, or two different Mox cards.

G.ZZZ

Is Modern so low on permission and mana denial that a 4-color deck, 4 mana, 2 cards combo deck is too fast? Jesus. I mean, a simple counterspell or discard on Jeskai Ascendancy and the deck fold. Or Spirit of the labirinth, Thalia, Eidolon of great revels etc... Any burn spell T1 that kill the creature make the deck slow down a lot. Tbh it seems really fragile and inconsistent given the absence of good deck manipulation in that format.

kirblar

Is Modern so low on permission and mana denial that a 4-color deck, 4 mana, 2 cards combo deck is too fast? Jesus. I mean, a simple counterspell or discard on Jeskai Ascendancy and the deck fold. Or Spirit of the labirinth, Thalia, Eidolon of great revels etc...
Yes.

OnPoint

Is Modern so low on permission and mana denial that a 4-color deck, 4 mana, 2 cards combo deck is too fast? Jesus. I mean, a simple counterspell or discard on Jeskai Ascendancy and the deck fold. Or Spirit of the labirinth, Thalia, Eidolon of great revels etc...

It's format warping. They want people to play proactively, not tune to avoid shitty losses to an OP boogeyman deck.

Angry Grimace

Not even fetches, huh?

Though I imagine fetches will reach shockland levels on MTGO at some point due to modern's unpopularity.

Yeah, I had Crater's Claws, Trail of Mystery, Grim Haruspex, Mardu Ascendancy and some other useless card as my rares. No good morphs to even enable Trail.

G.ZZZ

It's format warping. They want people to play proactively, not tune to avoid shitty losses to an OP boogeyman deck.

We're on our way to a completely proactive game with hexproof creatures and uncounterable spells. Boogeyman decks are good for a format cause they limit the amount of greed in said format, unless they're also good. But if said deck ain't good, why ban? Belcher can win T1 pretty often in Legacy, but can also fold to itself as much, and no-one play it. However, it existing, alongside storm combo, make so that the format isn't dominated by midrange strategies but it's more about tempo>control>combo and you have to always consider interacting with other decks else your deck sucks.

Bah, i'm just an old player who actually miss playing channel fireball in the main deck, or having to play mana denial in my red decks.

Angry Grimace

You can't have un-fun turbo-combo in a format that doesn't have Force of Will.

y2dvd

Sarkhan's value continues to climb. Worst trade I've ever made lol. :(

Monastery Swiftspear is pretty amazing at combating a bunch of 2/1's. Card is awesome. Going with Boros Burn tonight.

OnPoint

We're on our way to a completely proactive game with hexproof creatures and uncounterable spells. Boogeyman decks are good for a format cause they limit the amount of greed in said format, unless they're also good. But if said deck ain't good, why ban? Belcher can win T1 pretty often in Legacy, but can also fold to itself as much, and no-one play it. However, it existing, alongside storm combo, make so that the format isn't dominated by midrange strategies but it's more about tempo>control>combo and you have to always consider interacting with other decks else your deck sucks.

Bah, i'm just an old player who actually miss playing channel fireball in the main deck, or having to play mana denial in my red decks.

We'll see what happens. There's a couple decks that can win in Modern on turn 2 that aren't consistent and the pieces haven't been banned. If someone can break it, though, you know they will. And you better believe Wizards will be waiting with the banhammer when they do.

Angry Grimace

Sarkhan's value continues to climb. Worst trade I've ever made lol. :(

Monastery Swiftspear is pretty amazing at combating a bunch of 2/1's. Card is awesome. Going with Boros Burn tonight.

Yeah, I went to a LGS and they had Sarkhan for $22 the day before Khans released and I bought the 2 I needed. Guess that was a good bet.

Yeef

Yeah, I had Crater's Claws, Trail of Mystery, Grim Haruspex, Mardu Ascendancy and some other useless card as my rares. No good morphs to even enable Trail.
Mardu Ascendency and Crater's Claws are fine in sealed; the former being really, really good. Grim Haruspex is also fine.

Angry Grimace

Mardu Ascendency and Crater's Claws are fine in sealed; the former being really, really good. Grim Haruspex is also fine.

Would have been awesome if I had anything of value in Mardu colors.

Now, the draft I just did seems much better since I had some level of choice in what I drafted. Went black/white and got an Ashcloud in the second pack, so I'm moving into Mardu. The Ponyback Brigades I'm getting passed are helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom