• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
In Mardu colors and this pack. I think the choice is clearly Sentinels, but fuck at Charm and Suspension Field.

c2TYrcY.jpg

Also, thanks to the guy right after this who passed me Sorin, Solemn Visitor. I'll make good use of it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You want to drop a Morph, not a mana ramp. You really don't want to spend time/resources on "not developing board position" early on in this format.

If you have really, really bad fixing, they can be worth playing as a 1-of. But yeah, mostly just dump 'em.

Firemind

I think banners are acceptable in sealed. The odds of decks curving out should be manageable. Some decks want to splash a fourth colour for more removal to deal with bombs and slivers.

Travis Woo also said drawing first is good in this sealed format. Not sure about that, but his arguments seem sound.

kirblar

I think banners are acceptable in sealed. The odds of decks curving out should be manageable. Some decks want to splash a fourth colour for more removal to deal with bombs and slivers.

Travis Woo also said drawing first is good in this sealed format. Not sure about that, but his arguments seem sound.
At least at the prerelease, that was just wrong in every deck I had - you needed to unmorph first and have the time to level up Disowned Ancestor once before there was any pressure.

This is how I see Aaron and Maro interacting re: Hornet Queen right now.

untitled-147kkt.gif

Angry Grimace

I don't understand how a card like Hornet Queen gets through when Maro is so insistent cards like Hornet Queen should not exist. I mean, sure there are guys who are higher up on the food chain than Maro, but what exactly is the reason for doing so?

kirblar

I don't understand how a card like Hornet Queen gets through when Maro is so insistent cards like Hornet Queen should not exist. I mean, sure there are guys who are higher up on the food chain than Maro, but what exactly is the reason for doing so?
He didn't pay attention to core sets, basically. Also, Aaron is his boss. :p (Aaron loves bees - I do too, I just wish the Queen herself didn't fly.)

Angry Grimace

He didn't pay attention to core sets, basically. Also, Aaron is his boss. :p (Aaron loves bees - I do too, I just wish the Queen herself didn't fly.)

I mean, I know its his boss, but that isn't in and of itself a good reason to ignore Maro's opinion. I can't imagine it isn't well known that Maro hates flying green creatures and/or direct damage.

kirblar

I mean, I know its his boss, but that isn't in and of itself a good reason to ignore Maro's opinion. I can't imagine it isn't well known that Maro hates flying green creatures and/or direct damage.
Green used to get crappy flyers w/ regularity. (Hawkeater Moth says hi.) It's a different design philosophy is all. I don't mind it- especially when the fliers aren't frequent. I like the effect that the Queen is having on the format, actually.
Is that still true in 40 card drafts?
Haven/t done one yet, so no idea there.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
The better morphs come online at 5 mana, so a turn three banner doesn't allow you to morph one turn earlier, you're just wasting a turn that could've been spent playing the morph in the first place (or outlasting).

Big One

Banned
I mean, it can work, but this is kind of what we call a "good stuff" deck. The curve is a bit off and you don't have anything to pressure your opponent with in the early game. You probably want less Magma Jet, more Raise the Alarm. A token strategy is typically a beat-down overwhelm with numbers strategy that's running effects that make the tokens more threatening. You could remove Elspeth and Sarkhan and add in more effects to create tokens and pressure your opponent (like Stoke the Flames)

Take a look at Wescoe's brew (which is W/B/R):

2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Creatures [9]

2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Planeswalkers

4 Dictate of Heliod
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Lightning Strike
4 Mardu Charm
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Stoke the Flames

Spells [24]

4 Battlefield Forge
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Triumph
I took a lot of what you said into consideration, and the deck I made is somewhat based off the W/B/R decks running around, but something about the green ramp with Sylvan Caryatid and Courser works well with Planeswalkers, and Xenagos summons a haste creature for 0 while Sorin does not, even though Sorin does have a good effect to boost the tokens the deck I built is more about advantage and pressure with weenies rather than worrying about if you can pump them up.

I updated the deck a bit, though I do agree mana curve is an issue since the deck is so heavy on three drops. However I feel like since we're in a largely slower format with nearly all the dual lands being taplands (life or scry) or pain lands, turn 2 is pretty much the earliest ramp you should be getting it, which is what is preventing me from running something like Elvish Mystic.

There is multiple possibilities however, I have considered running Eidolon of the Great Reveal as a second two drop since decks are running a lot of the red spells as burn/removal since they're cheap costed.

Anyway here's my altered deck with a slightly different manabase: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/02-10-14-naya-goodstuff/

ANy critique is welcome, and I"m still relatively new to sideboarding so I just kind of put together stuff I thought was good aka I'll replace THIS amount of cards for THIS matchup, and that's how many copies of a card I run in the side board (which is what I do for YGO).

Edit: Another idea I had is to run copies of War-Named Aspirant, since I feel it's genuinely a card that's good pretty much throughout the game. Early game it gets past Sylvan Caryatid, and late game you could do things like attack with a weenie token, then M2 played War-Named Aspirant for a 3/2 that can't be blocked by creatures with 1 power or less.

Angry Grimace

The better morphs come online at 5 mana, so a turn three banner doesn't allow you to morph one turn earlier, you're just wasting a turn that could've been spent playing the morph in the first place (or outlasting).

The only time to ever play a banner is if your fixing is utterly atrocious.

OnPoint

I just don't get his color reasons for green not having bees. I feel like they fit really well in the green color pie. He basically said he'd argue that they're white. I guess from a "colony" standpoint, they are. So something like anthropomorphic bees, sure. But actual, in the wild bees? No, those are green to me.

I just don't get his color reasons for green not having bees. I feel like they fit really well in the green color pie. He basically said he'd argue that they're white. I guess from a "colony" standpoint, they are. So something like anthropomorphic bees, sure. But actual, in the wild bees? No, those are green to me.

Lots of things can be justified by flavor. Flavorwise, there's absolutely no reason not to have faeries in green, for instance. The thing is that green is mechanically defined by its lack of flying creatures. Hornet Queen honestly probably wouldn't be that good in black, where it mechanically makes more sense, but it's amazing in green, precisely because that's not what green usually does and green has things in color to take advantage of it. Similarly, Hornet Sting saw constructed play even though Lightning Bolt was in the same format.

kirblar

Lots of things can be justified by flavor. Flavorwise, there's absolutely no reason not to have faeries in green, for instance. The thing is that green is mechanically defined by its lack of flying creatures. Hornet Queen honestly probably wouldn't be that good in black, where it mechanically makes more sense, but it's amazing in green, precisely because that's not what green usually does and green has things in color to take advantage of it. Similarly, Hornet Sting saw constructed play even though Lightning Bolt was in the same format.
However, this matters most in limited. I suspect the bees would go over better if they had defender. Flavor-wise, that's normally what's going on.

Man, testing with my group now and The Birds and the Bees is testing insanely well. Hornet Queen is busted. As is winning with more than 4 Seige Rhino triggers.

I did add rescue from the underworld to the deck and it's been super awesome.
Mardu Ascendency and Crater's Claws are fine in sealed; the former being really, really good. Grim Haruspex is also fine.
Crater's Claws is insane in limited. It's literally the only card I lost a game to at the prerelease.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132770867]Man, testing with my group now and The Birds and the Bees is testing insanely well. Hornet Queen is busted. As is winning with more than 4 Seige Rhino triggers.

I did add rescue from the underworld to the deck and it's been super awesome.

Crater's Claws is insane in limited. It's literally the only card I lost a game to at the prerelease.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but you're God's Beard and never lose to anything.

Yeah, but you're God's Beard and never lose to anything.
No, I went 3-2 at the prerelease but my last two opponents each won both of their games with crater's claws when I was reasonably favored on board. So on games I wound up 7-4 which is pretty mediocre. Card is super good, especially in a slower format like Khans sealed.

Its not unlikely to have 7 lands and a 4/x at the end of a game when your opponent is playing abzan. 8 damage is gonna close out most games.

y2dvd

I'm on #teambanners. It's usually my "18th land". Sure, you want to cast morph cards, but you want to be able to eventually flip over the 5 mana morphs also. You can usually take a hit casting a banner. I mean, you probably wouldn't trade that face down card on T3 anyways. And cantrip is nice late game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Right, the biggest problem is that it gives Green tools it normally doesn't have (specifically tools that other colors have access to), and its important that the colors have well delineated areas so that you have to choose between versatility of ability and the consistency of being mono-color

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132771713]Well, when almost every creature in the deck has an etb trigger and ashen rider also has a ltb trigger...

It just makes sense. Its also a blowout against removal, especially with most of it being 3+ mana.[/QUOTE]
Did you post the updated list earlier?

Firemind

I chose to draft since the sealed queue took a bit too long to fill up. Drafted Sultai and saw zero treasure cruises. smh. First round played against someone who resolved ugin's nexus. wow. much use. very time walk
for me
. maybe he drafted another one. :lol

Also, thanks to the guy right after this who passed me Sorin, Solemn Visitor. I'll make good use of it.

Wish I got passed a sorin. :(

f0rk

I'm on #teambanners. It's usually my "18th land". Sure, you want to cast morph cards, but you want to be able to eventually flip over the 5 mana morphs also. You can usually take a hit casting a banner. I mean, you probably wouldn't trade that face down card on T3 anyways. And cantrip is nice late game.

If you just played an 18th land you are more likely to be able to morph on turn 5 and do something relevant on turn 4.

Angry Grimace

I chose to draft since the sealed queue took a bit too long to fill up. Drafted Sultai and saw zero treasure cruises. smh. First round played against someone who resolved ugin's nexus. wow. much use. very time walk
for me
. maybe he drafted another one. :lol

Wish I got passed a sorin. :(
I saw two Ugins Nexus in my draft too. Getting 2 of them does nothing though.

Angry Grimace

It's possible he doesn't know that. :lol

Maybe we're in the same draft.

It already ended. I had an totally crazy Mardu pool and lost to color screw in two straight matches :fail: I wish I had more banners.

I mean, I'm fine with flavor cards like Ugin's Nexus, but at Mythic? Really? I mean, I guess that means you're less likely to get one. :lol

y2dvd

If you just played an 18th land you are more likely to be able to morph on turn 5 and do something relevant on turn 4.

Dat cantrip doe. I think you guys are overlooking the fact that it's not uncommon to be running 4 colors anymore in Khans limited. Even in 2-3 colors, you are not always going to have cards to cast with your current manabase unless you have nothing but morph cards. You are also going to need access to your colors to morph the bomb cards. Banners acts as a mana fixer and a ramp and a cantrip.

Unless I'min a 1-2 color aggro deck, I can't be convinced that running banners are bad.

kirblar

Dat cantrip doe. I think you guys are overlooking the fact that it's not uncommon to be running 4 colors anymore in Khans limited. Even in 2-3 colors, you are not always going to have cards to cast with your current manabase unless you have nothing but morph cards. You are also going to need access to your colors to morph the bomb cards. Banners acts as a mana fixer and a ramp and a cantrip.

Unless I'min a 1-2 color aggro deck, I can't be convinced that running banners are bad.
Your mana is strained in this format. You have way too many things you want to do and not enough resources to do them. That's the issue- sinking 3 mana in is a lot and it throws your tempo off huge.

Here's my new sideboard though:

2x Reclamation Sage
4x Drown in Sorrow
1x Bile Blight
3x Mistcutter Hydra
2x End Hostilities
1x Whip of Erebos
1x Stain the Mind
1x Tormod's Crypt

End hostilities and whip are a package against Gx Devotion. Stain the Mind is for Ascendancy combo. Tormod's Crypt is for dredge and its fantastic with Nyx Weaver since its so cheap.

So far in our group my deck The Bird and the Bees is testing the best, but Mardu Midrange and Gx Devotion aren't too far behind. It seems hard to board against my deck since the midrange and reanimator angles work on their own which makes it resistant to hate.

Angry Grimace

If you actually get into a grindy-ass Abzan matchup, Dragon Throne is actually kind of good.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132788189]You know, I don't really miss courser of Kruphix.[/QUOTE]

The problem with Courser is that multiples are less valuable and therefore you're drawing more non-gas cards. You can stack ther lifegain but that's mostly just trinket text. Having one Courser out is very nice for smoothing out land draws. Having three out just means you spent three turns casting a 2/4.

Firemind

If you actually get into a grindy-ass Abzan matchup, Dragon Throne is actually kind of good.

All the abzan matchups were pretty tempo-oriented, actually.

Just lost a game where I had lethal on the board, but I forgot that efreet weaponmaster had a trigger until after I attacked. :lol

Angry Grimace

All the abzan matchups were pretty tempo-oriented, actually.

Just lost a game where I had lethal on the board, but I forgot that efreet weaponmaster had a trigger until after I attacked. :lol

I just won a game (although narrowly lost the match and had to drop because the boss started grinding on me to do actual work) after getting him down to 1 the previous game, mostly on the back of pumping an Outlast dude to up like 5 power and then just bombing the fuck out of him with like 5 8/8 tramplers.

kirblar

The problem with Courser is that multiples are less valuable and therefore you're drawing more non-gas cards. You can stack ther lifegain but that's mostly just trinket text. Having one Courser out is very nice for smoothing out land draws. Having three out just means you spent three turns casting a 2/4.
It's great if you're trying to topdeck (Modern Jund, Jund Monsters.) Less so if you're delving or reanimating.

I assumed you meant Constructed, re: Dragon Throne.

Firemind

just lost a game because i didn't drew my third land and my opponent drew three different basics. ah well.

mana is super important in this format. 6/6/6 split just doesn't cut it (unless you're my opponent lol). your morphs won't make a dent if you can't unmorph them. another reason to play banners if plan a doesn't work (pick on colour dual lands early).

Angry Grimace

It's great if you're trying to topdeck (Modern Jund, Jund Monsters.) Less so if you're delving or reanimating.

I assumed you meant Constructed, re: Dragon Throne.
No I was talking about a limited game.

Do you guys think that the Temple scrylands will go down in value post-rotation or just continue to rise and stay at about where they are now(ish)?

Firemind

lol this is the third game where I drew three of my mountains in the first few turns with no other basic land type. also a lot of one-land handers. so, yeah, draft duals high.

Do you guys think that the Temple scrylands will go down in value post-rotation or just continue to rise and stay at about where they are now(ish)?

stay until enemy manlands maybe.

kirblar

I think Enemy Scars Duals are likely in Set 3. They need to be "fast" to support aggressive strategies, and as good as enemy man-lands are- those are NOT fast. (And are better saved for Zendikar II - Colonnade and friends are probably in the final Core Set.)

I'm skeptical that we'll get any more enemy-colored lands in this block. Right now Standard is balanced - 5 enemy painlands, 5 allied fetchlands, and then the scrylands. It'd be weird to throw the balance off again - especially with so many other options (like the Life-lands) as backup.

kirblar

I'm skeptical that we'll get any more enemy-colored lands in this block. Right now Standard is balanced - 5 enemy painlands, 5 allied fetchlands, and then the scrylands. It'd be weird to throw the balance off again - especially with so many other options (like the Life-lands) as backup.
At the time they developed this block, they would have needed to be prepared for a Block PT. Also, the "fast" enemy lands are gone after rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom