• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Queen blows up a lot of critters in the format- Drown is a very awkward card to bring in against G/x decks because it misses Caryatid/Courser.

The kind of deck that can't attack through Courser and Caryatid probably don't play Drown in Sorrow.

Main Decks for the 3 decks I'm trying out currently:

4x Elvish Mystic
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Course of Kruphix
3x Voyaging Satyr
4x Polukranos, World Eater
4x Genesis Hydra
2x Stormbreath Dragon
2x Hornet Queen
1x Nylea, God of the Hunt
1x Xenagod, God of Revels

1x Dragon Throne of Tarkir

4x Xenagos, the Reveler
2x Nissa, Worldwaker
2x Sarkhan, Dragonspeaker

4x Wooded Foothills
4x Temple of Abandon
4x Rugged Highlands
4x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
2x Mountain
4x Forest

4x Elvish Mystic
4x Satyr Wayfinder
4x Rakshasa Deathdealer
4x Nyx Weaver
4x Nighthowler
2x Herald of Torment
4x Nemesis of Mortals
2x Pharika, God of Affliction
1x Nylea, God of the Hunt
1x Hornet Queen

3x Whip of Erebos
4x Commune with the Gods
2x Hero's Downfall

4x Temple of Malady
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Swamp
9x Forest

4x Elvish Mystic
4x Fleecemane Lion
4x Rakshasa Deathdealer
4x Courser of Kruphix
3x Siege Rhino
2x Wingmate Roc

4x Thoughseize
4x Banishing Light
1x Murderous Cut

2x Sorin, Solemn Visitor
2x Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2x Elspeth, Sun's Champion

4x Windswept Heath
4x Llanowar Wastes
4x Sandsteppe Citadel
2x Temple of Silence
2x Temple of Malady
1x Urborg, Tomb of Ywagmoth
2x Plains
5x Forest

Also looking to drop the black mana out of my Mardu tokens deck so that my manabase does do half my opponent's job for them. I'll post that for comments when I get back from dinner.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Anger is the card to actually be worried about- I'm not convinced Drown is actually that good vs real decks.

I actually have Duneblast in my sideboard, its actually pretty good even in decks where you're blowing up your own guys becuase you just keep whoever is gigantic. Its mostly just for being cute and playing a fun bomby Abzan card. Of course, that's less good against a reanimation deck when I don't play Anafenza (which I took out for Brimaz). .

Very similar to what I just posted, but more of a fucked up mana base to stretch to blue for one card. And Nyx Weaver is a good substitute for her because it can go get a card from the graveyard after it has served its purpose.

Other than sideboard cards, there isn't much besides Sidisi that a graveyard deck wants right now. Maybe Taigam's Scheming? It's a great mill card, but you never really want to see blue that early to get to it, if you can help it.

kirblar

Very similar to what I just posted, but more of a fucked up mana base to stretch to blue for one card. And Nyx Weaver is a good substitute for her because it can go get a card from the graveyard after it has served its purpose.

Other than sideboard cards, there isn't much besides Sidisi that a graveyard deck wants right now. Maybe Taigam's Scheming? It's a great mill card, but you never really want to see blue that early to get to it, if you can help it.
The green options are just straight-up better.

The green options are just straight-up better.

Agreed. But, I mean, if you're already forcing blue..............
no

Also, I think people are hugely undervaluing Rakshasa Deathdealer right now. It's a durable 2-drop that you can put lovely bestows on, like Nighthowler and Herald of Torment and Spiteful Returned. Like thus:

4x Voyaging Satyr
4x Rakshasa Deathdealer
4x Eidolon of Blossoms
4x Nighthowler
4x Spiteful Returned
4x Doomwake Giant
4x Course of Kruphix
4x Nyx Weaver
2x Pharika, God of Affliction
2x Whip of Erebos
4x Commune with the Gods
4x Strength from the Fallen

Subtract/substitute/sideboard as much as you like for flavor and your preferred count of Enchantments.

Firemind

I have to say.

There is no better feeling in the world than having JTMS and LOTV in play, after you wrathed the board, with Cryptic Command in hand and four mana open.

I'm amazed my opponent didn't concede on the spot. Lets me enjoy the moment though. Like a ten minute something long orgasm. What a sport.

Edit: aw shucks. my round three opponent didn't show up. here's my deck by the way if anyone's curious.

j74GgEm.png

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
In your experience how hard is it to draft while hung over. Would try again, or mental anguish of untold depths?

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132381398]Why would you do anything while hung over? You mean drunk?[/QUOTE]

Nope, hung over. Though I have drafted while inebriated before. Besides forgetting I had enough open mana to play morphs a few times, I did o.k.

inthrall

What's are some good resources to learn from? Like beyond the basic rules and how to play?

I would recommend going to FNM and learning the ropes in draft, or if you cant afford that watch replays and live streams of the format you are interested in. There is a lot of websites that produce good articles too, such as Channel Fireball and Starcity Games.

ironmang

And there goes Goblin Rabblemaster up to $20. Traded one towards a Mire I needed last week which stings a little but ended up buying 3 for $30 a few days ago to finish my set. Seems a little much being a rare and a box promo but I guess it's going to be a big part of standard until it leaves.

Matriox

And there goes Goblin Rabblemaster up to $20. Traded one towards a Mire I needed last week which stings a little but ended up buying 3 for $30 a few days ago to finish my set. Seems a little much being a rare and a box promo but I guess it's going to be a big part of standard until it leaves.

The problem is not nearly as many people buy core set boxes compared to block, only legal in standard for a year and what not. With my playgroup of 7 only 1 person got a box, and it didn't come with a promo rabblemaster :(

OnPoint

It makes sense when it's one of three or four cards people want from an entire 200+ card set.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
The Promo Goblin Rabblemasters are on for 14 at TCGPlayer for whatever reason. They're foil and have alt. art... plus cheaper. Win-Win for anyone who still needs 1-2.

ironmang

So many cards I want to use in new standard. I really hope this format doesn't get "figured out" quick and remain mostly stale for the whole year like all of Theros standard.

ElyrionX

Played the winning Jeskai tempo deck at an event today. Went 1-2. Beat a Sultai Control and lost to Mardu Midrange and Abzan Midrange.

The deck feels fast and powerful but seems to be very reliant on hitting a turn 2 Seeker and turn 3 Mantis. If you don't hit at least a turn 3 Mantis, you tend to lose momentum and are very vulnerable to the midrange fatties. It feels a bit too reliant on Mantis which is an incredibly powerful card.

Played Stormbreath instead of Sarkhan and the dragon died to all of the black removal. Don't think playing Sarkhan would have made that much of a difference.

And I get that Steam Augury enables Dig Through Time but it I'm not so sure about the role of those cards in the deck. I am presuming that they are primarily used to dig for burn spells to finish off opponents who are already low on life after the pummeling of the early creatures?

bigkrev

New Sperling Sick of It

4) Spoiler Season Tropes

Every spoiler season you see the same stupid arguments among the same stupid players. Here is my favorite example: any preview thread when a green card is spoiled.

[Spoiled green card that costs 6 mana]

Commenter 1: "This will be great on turn 4"

Commenter 2: "You mean on turn 6?"

Commenter 1: "You're playing green. Green has ramp, dummy."

This exchange is always present, and never productive. That's the theme of spoiler threads I guess, two players you shouldn't take advice from under any circumstances arguing over whose simplistic reduction of a card's likely impact holds more water.

If Magic Online were still around, it would have been great to have a format where you get 60 minutes to build a deck from a made-up format (such as Onslaught + Zendikar + Tempest + M12 "Constructed"). In that 60 minutes you have to figure out what decks you can build, and actually build one. The world needs to see what kind of decks these people produce. That's also how the set should be spoiled actually. All at once, in a massive Block Constructed event. Spoiler goes up at 9 a.m., at 11 a.m, you have to submit your deck, and here's the important part: later on, whenever you are commenting on which cards will be good in Standard or whether a new fatty is playable because you can ramp into it, there's a link to the deck you submitted in the Prerelease Free-for-All. If it's laughably bad, we can ignore the comment. If it looks like you cobbled together a playable deck, maybe I will listen to your predictions.

Played the winning Jeskai tempo deck at an event today. Went 1-2. Beat a Sultai Control and lost to Mardu Midrange and Abzan Midrange.

The deck feels fast and powerful but seems to be very reliant on hitting a turn 2 Seeker and turn 3 Mantis. If you don't hit at least a turn 3 Mantis, you tend to lose momentum and are very vulnerable to the midrange fatties. It feels a bit too reliant on Mantis which is an incredibly powerful card.

Played Stormbreath instead of Sarkhan and the dragon died to all of the black removal. Don't think playing Sarkhan would have made that much of a difference.

And I get that Steam Augury enables Dig Through Time but it I'm not so sure about the role of those cards in the deck. I am presuming that they are primarily used to dig for burn spells to finish off opponents who are already low on life after the pummeling of the early creatures?

People have been running Hushwing in that deck to stop green devo/rhino. Also void snare has seen some play to bounce bros so you can bang.

Firemind

The guy in Rakshasa's Secret does have an uncanny resemblance to Tom Ross haha.

Sarkhan dodges some black removal like Murderous Cut, but yeah, it should be cast to either remove a problem creature or at the very least deal four damage when your opponent is tapped out.

It draws you at the very least two cards, with a good chance of being one of your best cards (the three card pile should have your weaker cards), or it draws three weaker cards but might still get there. It digs deeper into your deck and enables Dig Through Time, which should dig the two cards needed to finish off your opponent. Only lands and Master of the Way are bad mid to late game cards, really.

rexor0717

Back when it was a dollar I had a bunch sitting in a cart but I didn't pull the trigger.
Could have had all the money.

I have this stuff for trade:

2x Goblin Rabbtlemaster
1x foil Mantis Rider
1x Scavenging Ooze
1x High Sentinels of Arashin
1x foil Polymorphist's Jest
3x foil AEtherspouts
3x promo Dissolve
2x Abrupt Decay
4x Sphinx's Revelation

1x City of Brass
bunch of painlands
bunch of scrylands
3x Overgrown Tomb
3x Hallowed Fountain
1x Watery Grave

1x Ajani Vengeant
2x Liliana Vess

10 TCGplayer MaxPoints

Looking for:
  • Nissa Worldwaker
  • 4x Wooded Foothills
  • 2013 Promo Vindicate

Bandini

I think I might be on my luckiest run of opening packs ever. 12 KoT boosters total (1 draft, 1 constructed, and 4 random packs) and I've seen Windswept Heath, Polluted Delta, Bloodstained Mire, Empty the Pits, Sorin, Butcher of the Horde, Treasure Cruise foil, and Polluted Delta foil. Gonna sell or trade the foils and grab some more fetches, imo.

Wichu

I think I might be on my luckiest run of opening packs ever. 12 KoT boosters total (1 draft, 1 constructed, and 4 random packs) and I've seen Windswept Heath, Polluted Delta, Bloodstained Mire, Empty the Pits, Sorin, Butcher of the Horde, Treasure Cruise foil, and Polluted Delta foil. Gonna sell or trade the foils and grab some more fetches, imo.

My god. And I thought I was lucky with my JOU fat pack (Eidolon of the Great Revel, Temple of Epiphany, Ajani, foil Confluence). That's probably approaching $200 in value..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom