• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

y2dvd

Did sealed multiplayer with friends and opened a bunch of janky rares while they all open fetchlands. ;_;

Oh well, I still had a blast mainly because I won it lol. I would've had a sick Mardu deck if I was going 1v1, but multi made me switch to Sultai. Trick to winning FFA - play a bunch of defenders, don't pose a threat, let everyone take each other out, and then eventually start playing your evasive creatures!

1xArcher's Parapet
1xHeir of the Wilds
1xIcefeather Aven
1xAlpine Grizzly
1xJeskai Windscout
2xMonastery Flock
1xBellowing Saddlebrute
1xSultai Flayer
1xHooting Mandrills
1xSultai Scavenger
1xWitness of the Ages
1xSultai Ascendancy
2xSultai Charm
1xDultiful Return
1xBitter Revelation
3xRite of the Serpent
2xTreasure Cruise
1xSultai Banner
17xlands

Bellowing Saddlebrute is rough when you're behind or can't attack to trigger Raid. That 4 life lose was huge and prevented me from casting it for awhile.
On the other end, Sultai Flayer is awesome. That 4 life gain gained me so much life.
Treasure Cruise for U late game just feels so dirty.

Say I had the same deck in draft. Would the following be correct? I really had no white cards worth splashing for, but I had a few of the common dual lands in G/W and B/W. Would it be worth removing some forest and swamps for the dual common lands for the 1 life gain?

Even though I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm a terrible constructed deck builder, I still had an idea today that seemed, in theory, to be good.

If there's a good control deck out there, I think it might be Grixis.

4 Thoughtseize
X Despise
4 Negate
3-4 Jace
3-4 Ashiok
4 Steam Augury
4 Dig Through Time
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Murderous Cut
2 Treasure Cruise
X Necropolis Fiend
4 Lightning Strike
X Sarkhan/Stormbreath/Resilient Finisher

4 Polluted Delta
4 Bloodstained Mire
Temples and stuff

I dunno, it seems like it could be really good, and it could give Steam Augury its day in the sun finally. Plus you have the whole "Jace + Thoughtseize" combo to take care of any permanent on the board. And in the sideboard you have Anger of the Gods.

Just spitballin' here. But I picked up a bunch of Steam Auguries cheap at 50 cents each, just in case.

ElyrionX

Watched the SCG NJ final last night and got a better sense of how to play the Jeskai tempo deck but I got to say that Kevin Jones had a tremendous amount of luck that match. Game 1 he had a perfect opening sequence of land drops and creature drops and Game 2, his opponent was mana screwed. That Mardu midrange deck isn't supposed to be that easy for Jeskai tempo to beat.

What does everyone have in their testing gauntlet for the new Standard format? Here's what my group has sleeved up:

• Jeskai Tempo
  • Abzan Reanimator
  • Abzan Midrange
  • Mono-Black Aggro
  • Mono-Red Aggro
  • Boros Aggro
  • Mono-Green Devotion
  • Mardu Midrange
  • G/R Monsters
  • Temur Monsters
  • B/W Midrange

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132547256]What does everyone have in their testing gauntlet for the new Standard format? Here's what my group has sleeved up:

• Jeskai Tempo
  • Abzan Reanimator
  • Abzan Midrange
  • Mono-Black Aggro
  • Mono-Red Aggro
  • Boros Aggro
  • Mono-Green Devotion
  • Mardu Midrange
  • G/R Monsters
  • Temur Monsters
  • B/W Midrange
[/QUOTE]

The set comes out on MODO in like 2 days. Format will be broken in like a week.

ElyrionX

I feel like I made a mistake getting into Jeskai Tempo this early. It's my first rotation and I got excited when I saw Jeskai doing well as I have established that those are my favourite colors.

Oh well, at least I bought most of my cards before they spiked.

I feel like I made a mistake getting into Jeskai Tempo this early. It's my first rotation and I got excited when I saw Jeskai doing well as I have established that those are my favourite colors.

Oh well, at least I bought most of my cards before they spiked.

Well, it's not like there's anything wrong with the deck. It's probably going to have strong matchups because it's inherently able to do things that work against popular strategies.

Most midrange decks rely on planeswalkers and fat ground creatures so mantis rider is awesome. There's also going to be a lot of slower matchups which favors burn. Aggro will remain popular and you get magma jet that hits everything in the mainboard and anger to wreck them in the side. It's really consistent with all the card selection effects and the relatively low mana curve as well.

I don't know if it'll be a top 3 deck or not going forward, but I don't see too much inherently weak about the deck, other than maybe lifegain.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132553202]Well, it's not like there's anything wrong with the deck. It's probably going to have strong matchups because it's inherently able to do things that work against popular strategies.

Most midrange decks rely on planeswalkers and fat ground creatures so mantis rider is awesome. There's also going to be a lot of slower matchups which favors burn. Aggro will remain popular and you get magma jet that hits everything in the mainboard and anger to wreck them in the side. It's really consistent with all the card selection effects and the relatively low mana curve as well.

I don't know if it'll be a top 3 deck or not going forward, but I don't see too much inherently weak about the deck, other than maybe lifegain.[/QUOTE]
The deck probably can't beat Resolute Archangel, lol.

Just played jeskai tempo against a graveyard deck with nighthowler and stength from the fallen.

Holy shit that deck can make some huge creatures. Game 1 was a quick loss and game 2 I deflecting palmed a 14/16 courser for the kill and caused him to sack his weaver to get murderous cut to kill his own courser. Then I top decked Chandra ftw.

That graveyard deck seems good.

The deck probably can't beat Resolute Archangel, lol.

A resolved one, sure. But the deck does have ways to contain it. Countering the whip or the angel with Disdainful stroke isn't unreasonable. Or erasing the whip. Siege Rhino and Sorin seem good against the deck, though.

ElyrionX

The problem is, the deck feels too reliant on getting a good opening sequence. Keeping a hand of four charms/burn spells and three lands feels almost like suicide and it happens not infrequently. Miss the third land drop or miss a turn 3/4 creature drop and you're also quite fucked.

I know I am basing this on a small sample size and that I have not been piloting the deck too well but those are my impressions thus far anyway.

duxstar

I'm really digging Temur Monsters , it can play the quick game (Turn 3 Stormbreath far outpaces any Rabble Master), it can play the midrange game with Nissa, Stormbreath , Sarkhan. It can also play the counterspell game if it has to.

You need a way to protect your creatures in this format, or have a swarm of them.

As far as racing goes I raced and beat a turn 3 ensoul artifact without ever blocking. Turn 3 Stormbreath , Turn 4 Savage leaving up counterspell, turn 5 swing rattleclaw mystic/savage/Stormbreath, chumps Savage play crater claws for 6.

I tried my hand at building a bant deck , I think it turned out pretty good in the end for someone without a team to test it against.

3 Prognostic Sphinx
2 Boon Satyr
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Polukranos
4 Brimaz
3 Banishing Light
3 Last Breath
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Courser of Kruphix
1 Sagu Mauler
1 Kiora, The Crashing Wave
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Nissa Worldwaker
1 End Hostilities
4 Windswept Heath
4 Flooded Strand
3 Temple of Plenty
3 Yavimaya Coast
4 Forest
3 Plains
2 Island
2 Temple of Enlightenment

Side Board consists of
2 Suspension Field
1 Last Breath
1 Banishing Light
1 Kiora
2 Sagu Mauler
3 Disdainful Stroke
2 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Dissolve
1 End Hostilities

It's tested ok , and can handle most the things that Cockatrice throws it's way so far. I'd be surprised if we don't see a couple Bant decks show up this weekend

Big One

Banned
I think I have "something" here. Ever since Rabblemaster became one of the most played cards this format I wanted to abuse token spam, so I made this Naya deck. It's Naya Walkers, or maybe Midrange, I dunno.

Basically the goal is pressure via token spam and removal/burn spells.

Naya Tokenspam.dek

Monsters:
4x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Goblin Rabblemaster

Instant/Enchantments:
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
2x Banishing Light

Planeswalkers:
4x Xenagos, the Reveler
3x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3x Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Lands:
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Forest
2x Mountain
2x Plains
2x Battlefield Forge
4x Temple of Abandon
2x Temple of Triumph

Firemind

The problem is, the deck feels too reliant on getting a good opening sequence. Keeping a hand of four charms/burn spells and three lands feels almost like suicide and it happens not infrequently. Miss the third land drop or miss a turn 3/4 creature drop and you're also quite fucked.

I know I am basing this on a small sample size and that I have not been piloting the deck too well but those are my impressions thus far anyway.
Welcome to tempo. :lol

Mulligan aggressively. You have 8 three drops and Magma Jets and scry lands to improve your hand. It's not so different from Boros Burn from last format, really. It's insanely difficult to pilot well. You have to keep in mind your live draws and your current 'fuel' to get them to 0. It's not always the correct decision to burn creatures.

Maybe this play style doesn't suit you and you can turn it into a more aggro control style deck, like your Modern URW deck. Change the deck to suit your needs. It's only the beginning of the new standard. Everything's possible.

Firemind

All these agro/burn/midrange lists... Makes me really want to play control.
Ashiok seems really well-positioned in this green midrange durdly format. Add Anger of the Gods and tons of black removal and you're golden.

I think Treasure Cruise is going to do some work in this format. Blue has been obviously relegated to a support colour, and while Treasure Cruise is worse than Dig Through Time in a vacuum, the former is more lenient on the mana base. Treasure Cruise is already making waves in Legacy and Modern. It's only a matter of time before people want to play Ancestral Recalls in standard.

OnPoint

Ashiok seems really well-positioned in this green midrange durdly format. Add Anger of the Gods and tons of black removal and you're golden.

I think Treasure Cruise is going to do some work in this format. Blue has been obviously relegated to a support colour, and while Treasure Cruise is worse than Dig Through Time in a vacuum, the former is more lenient on the mana base. Treasure Cruise is already making waves in Legacy and Modern. It's only a matter of time before people want to play Ancestral Recalls in standard.

I'm waiting for the day it gets banned in Legacy. I feel like Ancestral Recall is too strong for the format. We'll see if it becomes ubiquitous enough to pull the trigger.

Matriox

I'd love to run Ashiok but a friend of mine has already called dibs on most of my black cards in his Abzan midrange so I wouldn't have access to thoughseizes or hero's downfall. I've been looking at Jeskai Control, Steam Augury seems really good with Dig Through Time and I love that both are instant speed. I've only got a first draft so far but here's what I've got.

1 Heliod, God of the Sun
1 Keranos, God of Storms

2 Last Breath
3 Lightning Strike
2 Nullify
2 Reprisal
2 Anger of the Gods
3 Banishing Light
4 Dissolve
4 Steam Augury
4 End Hostilities
2 Dig Through Time

1 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

4 Battlefield Forge
3 Flooded Strand
3 Island
1 Mountain
3 Mystic Monastery
2 Plains
3 Shivan Reef
4 Temple of Enlightenment
2 Temple of Epiphany
1 Temple of Triumph

Ideally I'd like 1 more Sarkhan but I can't afford it, probably wont have enough time to test for friday but I havn't been to FNM for a couple of months, I'll just have fun if nothing else. Especially with all of this agro running around.

ElyrionX

Mulligan aggressively. You have 8 three drops and Magma Jets and scry lands to improve your hand. It's not so different from Boros Burn from last format, really. It's insanely difficult to pilot well. You have to keep in mind your live draws and your current 'fuel' to get them to 0. It's not always the correct decision to burn creatures.

Maybe this play style doesn't suit you and you can turn it into a more aggro control style deck, like your Modern URW deck. Change the deck to suit your needs. It's only the beginning of the new standard. Everything's possible.

Great advice. Many thanks.

You're right. I am not used to this style of play, having come from Esper Control pre-rotation and UWR midrange in Modern. I wasn't expecting decision-making to be so difficult with this deck as I had always assumed that control decks typically have to consider the most lines of plays so I was a bit surprised that I was still taking a longass time to make decisions with this Jeskai tempo deck.

I am thinking of jamming a few Brimaz into the deck to make it more likely that I draw a potent 3-drop when I need it.

Kerrinck

I still have no idea why they call it tempo since the deck has 0 tempo cards.

Firemind

Control decks have a lot of decision making over the course of a game (look at Floch piloting U/W Cleansing Control). The difference is that the margin of error is smaller than an aggressive deck relying on momentum. Every life point matters. Sure, mono colour weenie decks just need to play creatures and turn them sideways most of the time, but decks like Zoo have a lot of decisions to make, like searching for the correct shocklands for Tribal Flames, playing which creature on turn two and so on. That's why I could never pilot a deck like Zoo correctly. On the other side of the spectrum, one of the reasons Jund was considered a not skill intensive deck was because the line of plays were obvious a lot of times. Play Bloodbraid Elf, play Blightning etc. A control deck can eventually bury an opponent with card advantage. It's getting to that point that's the issue, which is why building a control deck is another ball park.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I have "something" here. Ever since Rabblemaster became one of the most played cards this format I wanted to abuse token spam, so I made this Naya deck. It's Naya Walkers, or maybe Midrange, I dunno.

Basically the goal is pressure via token spam and removal/burn spells.

Naya Tokenspam.dek

Monsters:
4x Brimaz, King of Oreskos
4x Courser of Kruphix
4x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Goblin Rabblemaster

Instant/Enchantments:
4x Lightning Strike
4x Magma Jet
2x Banishing Light

Planeswalkers:
4x Xenagos, the Reveler
3x Elspeth, Sun's Champion
3x Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker

Lands:
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
4x Forest
2x Mountain
2x Plains
2x Battlefield Forge
4x Temple of Abandon
2x Temple of Triumph

I mean, it can work, but this is kind of what we call a "good stuff" deck. The curve is a bit off and you don't have anything to pressure your opponent with in the early game. You probably want less Magma Jet, more Raise the Alarm. A token strategy is typically a beat-down overwhelm with numbers strategy that's running effects that make the tokens more threatening. You could remove Elspeth and Sarkhan and add in more effects to create tokens and pressure your opponent (like Stoke the Flames)

Take a look at Wescoe's brew (which is W/B/R):

2 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
2 Butcher of the Horde
4 Goblin Rabblemaster
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge

Creatures [9]

2 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

Planeswalkers

4 Dictate of Heliod
4 Hordeling Outburst
4 Lightning Strike
4 Mardu Charm
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Stoke the Flames

Spells [24]

4 Battlefield Forge
2 Bloodstained Mire
4 Caves of Koilos
4 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
4 Nomad Outpost
1 Swamp
4 Temple of Triumph

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132549902]Oh yeah, I always forget you PC guys get everything late.[/QUOTE]

The level of testing you can do with a test group isn't even close to what you can do on MTGO.

OnPoint

I'm going to my first ever Modern event tonight.

I'm thinking of packing these cards in my sideboard:

• Disenchant
  • Stony Silence
  • Relic of Progenitus
  • Dismember
  • Leyline of Sanctity
  • Engineered Explosives

Any reasons I shouldn't consider any of those, and any obvious ones I've missed?

Arksy

Hey guys...

I'm looking for a few things;

- Is there a good deck builder that gets updated and already has the new stuff in there?

- Is there a place I can go to link cards to on say a website? Like an online repository?

- Anyone know of a good MTG plugin for wordpress or something to link cards to?

- What are intro decks vs event decks?

Thanks in advance. :)

Angry Grimace

Hey guys...

I'm looking for a few things;

- Is there a good deck builder that gets updated and already has the new stuff in there?

- Is there a place I can go to link cards to on say a website? Like an online repository?

- Anyone know of a good MTG plugin for wordpress or something to link cards to?

- What are intro decks vs event decks?

Thanks in advance. :)

I use deckstats for deck building.

The intro decks are basically just a bunch of commons and uncommons jammed into a "deck" with an alternate art promo rare plus two boosters. An event deck is a complete deck that attempts to be sort of good in competitive play, but usually isn't.

Firemind

I really wish Modo was easier to get into, I really hate how the whole program works.
The UI needs some time to get used to, but overall it's not too bad. It's the only way for me to draft cube and, like Grimace said, you can play Magic in your underwear.

ElyrionX

Watched the SCG NJ final last night and got a better sense of how to play the Jeskai tempo deck but I got to say that Kevin Jones had a tremendous amount of luck that match. Game 1 he had a perfect opening sequence of land drops and creature drops and Game 2, his opponent was mana screwed. That Mardu midrange deck isn't supposed to be that easy for Jeskai tempo to beat.

Made this remark yesterday. Just caught the semis today. This time it was all skill from Kevin Jones, especially game 3. I'm quite impressed, really, and now I get an even better sense of how to pilot the deck.

So, Dragon Throne of Tarkir is great in a mono-green devotion deck. 1-of mainboard with options to increase the number to up your chances of drawing it. The +X/+X is nice and can even be served well by putting it on a courser, but giving everything trample too is nice. I also like putting it on my Polukranos and then attacking with my Mystic.

Angry Grimace

The UI needs some time to get used to, but overall it's not too bad. It's the only way for me to draft cube and, like Grimace said, you can play Magic in your underwear.

literally drafting in my underwear right now

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132602720]I'm not doubting you, but what's the advantages?[/QUOTE]
Grinding. With PTQs back, you can play four PTQs each season instead of maybe one or two each season if there's one in your vicinity. There are also the seasonal championships, with the eventual winner earning a spot at the World Championship.

Angry Grimace

Grinding. With PTQs back, you can play four PTQs each season instead of maybe one or two each season if there's one in your vicinity. There are also the seasonal championships, with the eventual winner earning a spot at the World Championship.

Not to mention the aforementioned underwear testing

Firemind

Priorities.

I've never actually qualified for a seasonal championship before. The highest I've gotten is, like, 12 qps. I just like drafting whenever I want while holding a glass of whiskey.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";132630104]Yeah I watched that earlier. I almost posted to admit to Grimace that Vintage is a good format but decided against it.[/QUOTE]

Message received, good buddy

duxstar

So I had a string of good luck this week.

Went to my first draft - Opened Sarkhan, Went to a sealed event with friends, where we all got 6 packs, Opened Sorin + Polluted Delta. Then today at walmart i was just like surrrrrrrreeeee what the hell bought 1 pack and got a Foil Utter End, Followed by a Flooded Strand.

Too bad Nissa is still 50 bux =/

Angry Grimace

I wonder how long its going to take them to ban Jeskai Ascendancy
KuGsj.gif

Yeef

Thanks Angry Grimace,

now...I need to learn about mana curves.

Talk about info dump.
Your mana curve is basically just the spread of mana costs in your deck. So for example; how many 1-cost cards do you have? How many 2-cost cards? etc.

If most of your cards cost 1 or 2 and you have a just a couple of cards that cost 3 your curve would top out at 3 (a pretty low curve). If, on the other hand, most of your stuff cost 4 or more and you have only a handful of cards that cost 3 or less, that's a really high curve.

Angry Grimace

Goddamn Sarkhan and Nissa are stupid expensive. I doubt they're going to get cheaper if they show up in the PT next week either.

ElyrionX

Goddamn Sarkhan and Nissa are stupid expensive. I doubt they're going to get cheaper if they show up in the PT next week either.

Pretty much. Been reading a bit and it seems like Khans has been pretty crazy in terms of the way the card prices have been jumping. Considering that people have been opening packs like crazy, I'd think the reverse would have been true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom