• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lived the dream for you, Grimace. 4 color deck at the draft tonight. Butcher of the Horde and two Duneblasts in a Rakdos aggro deck aww yeah.

Pulled a Sarkhan in my prize packs which I promptly traded towards a playset of Wooded Foothills ^_^

Did a draft last night at the local, managed to sit in the middle of four people playing Abzan (still went 3-0). I feel going blue is severely underrated at the moment

The more I play draft, the more I love blue and red and the more I hate Abzan.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
One little card can totally ruin mono-green's day :lol

BpzJfcn.jpg

Arksy

Treat it as you would Ebola. Do not touch.

The entire reason why I got into MTG was because of the social element of actually being in the same room as the people you're playing.

That said, because I know very little, it would be good to be able to practice. I'm not really learning a whole lot playing against the AI in DOTP because they seem to play their entire combos predictably and seem to draw their important cards with 100% reliability.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133234160]I almost traded two to this kid for a Snapcaster Mage but he changed his mind :-([/QUOTE]
You won that non-trade.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I played this weord Green devotion splashing red for Purphoros and that was ROUGH. Hornet Queen just presses your shit in in that deck.

So I'm sitting on a few leftover draft spoils that I'm looking to offload; I'm just trying to figure out when the best time to do so would be. How much higher do you guys see Rabblemaster and Thoughtseize climbing over the next couple of months? I kinda feel like Rabblemaster might be nearing its peak, but Thoughtseize definitely still has room to grow.

ElyrionX

I'd stick with the Dig Through Time. You are usually trading card for card. My biggest issue when playing this past weekend was against grindy games. Without running Dig Thru Time, my opponents were able to eventually outdraw me while I kept bricking lands off the top. You want to be able to close those kind of games out, and Dig is a great way to restock and pull ahead.

I wonder if High Sentinels are being slept on. 3/4 flier for 4cmc isn't the worst. It blocks Mantis Riders profitably. I think I'll test it over Hundred-Handed One.

I get what it does in the deck but I feel it dilutes the deck's goal somewhat which is to finish off games before opponents get to their late game fatties. The only time it will be useful would be if your opponent is at 6-8 life and you have an inferior board but I find that sometimes even getting them to that life range is hard enough as it is. Mulliganing with Jeskai tempo is so important and seeing a Dig Through Time in your opening hand when you're already at 5 or 6 cards is never ever ideal because it is so mana/graveyard intensive.

After thinking about it, I decided to remove the 2 Gods Willing in my deck because it does not work with Stormbreath. Instead, I've replaced the 2 Steam Augury and 2 Dig Through Time with:

2 Void Snare: Still debating this over Titan Strength. Will have to test both. I like this because it clears the way for Rabblemaster. But then again, Titan Strength enables Rabble tokens to kill Courser (people don't ever seem to hesitate when doing this).

1 Banishing Light: Brings the count to 3 in the main deck. I don't recall ever regret having this in my hand though there were many times when I wished it was Detention Sphere instead.

1 Chandra Pyromaster: Brings the count to 2 in the main deck. Chandra has proven to be very useful in testing and a couple of people on spikes seem to have come to the same conclusion as well.

I keep watching the effect Jeskai Ascendancy is having on Modern.

This is the exactly the type of degenerate combo that's not good for the format. I like myself a good engine combo deck, but this thing is crazy busted.

EDIT: It also somewhat offends me because it's almost braindead easy to play. It's not Eggs or even Storm levels of complexity (and Modern Storm's difficulty is already overstated).

Kirblar, do you think Ascendancy is going to keep spiking until it gets banned? I'm starting to wonder what that card's actual ceiling will be.

bigkrev

I keep watching the effect Jeskai Ascendancy is having on Modern.

This is the exactly the type of degenerate combo that's not good for the format. I like myself a good engine combo deck, but this thing is crazy busted.

EDIT: It also somewhat offends me because it's almost braindead easy to play. It's not Eggs or even Storm levels of complexity (and Modern Storm's difficulty is already overstated).

Kirblar, do you think Ascendancy is going to keep spiking until it gets banned? I'm starting to wonder what that card's actual ceiling will be.

There is only 1 Modern GP the rest of the year (Madrid in November). If the deck is as toxic as it seems, it will probably get banned in January, before the Modern Pro Tour

Kerrinck

Played against it a few days ago on a modern daily finals and the deck really is strong.
Left him with no hand and a Liliana about to ultimate and he simply went off after drawing a Noble Hierarch and that haste cantrip off of a Treasure Cruise.
Not sure if it will get banned but it feels much more resilient than Bloom Titan and faster than Storm.

Angry Grimace

Hornet Queen is indeed a nightmare to deal with.

Its actually the easiest matchup for the Mardu deck I'm currently running, muahahaha. Mostly because MGD can't function without creatures to get devotion and Hornet Queen completely bricks to to Anger of the Gods.

There is only 1 Modern GP the rest of the year (Madrid in November). If the deck is as toxic as it seems, it will probably get banned in January, before the Modern Pro Tour

If its actually toxic, I don't get why they can't just ban it whenever they want.

bigkrev

Hierarch HAS to get reprinted at some point for fuck's sake.

They missed the chance to do so in M13, so at this point, MM2 or a Commander product are the only spots left. If it's Commander or a Duel deck it will tank, but probably go even higher if its MM2

bigkrev

Its actually the easiest matchup for the Mardu deck I'm currently running, muahahaha. Mostly because MGD can't function without creatures to get devotion and Hornet Queen completely bricks to to Anger of the Gods.

If its actually toxic, I don't get why they can't just ban it whenever they want.

They can and have emergency banned cards before (Memory Jar), but they probably want to wait for an actual tournament and not just MTGO before making a decision.

It is also possible that the Meta could adjust and just lock the deck out of the format- I don't know how the deck beats a resolved Ethersworn Canonist/Arcane Laboratory/Rule of Law, for example.

I still think they should have a very broad Modern Masters card pool, filled with actual staples and tools for the format, and then continuously reprint it. Keep the higher price and dilute your chances of straight drawing money by expanding the pool of possible cards, but keep it in constant supply. I'm sure there's plenty of drawbacks to this, but it'll keep constant downward pressure on the entry costs and encourage more to dip their toe into the format, which can buoy adoption of the format.

But I'm also someone that believes money cards in each format should never be land cards.

bigkrev

I still think they should have a very broad Modern Masters card pool, filled with actual staples and tools for the format, and then continuously reprint it. Keep the higher price and dilute your chances of straight drawing money by expanding the pool of possible cards, but keep it in constant supply. I'm sure there's plenty of drawbacks to this, but it'll keep constant downward pressure on the entry costs and encourage more to dip their toe into the format, which can buoy adoption of the format.

But I'm also someone that believes money cards in each format should never be land cards.

You need to make the set playable for limited

It is also possible that the Meta could adjust and just lock the deck out of the format- I don't know how the deck beats a resolved Ethersworn Canonist/Arcane Laboratory/Rule of Law, for example.

It runs 4 Wishes that can get all manner of answers, and the deck is nothing but cantrips. It's incredibly resilient. You would have to be running Canonist/Spirit of the Labyrinth in a hatebears shell that was applying serious pressure behind the disruption to have a truly good matchup I would imagine.

y2dvd

So I'm sitting on a few leftover draft spoils that I'm looking to offload; I'm just trying to figure out when the best time to do so would be. How much higher do you guys see Rabblemaster and Thoughtseize climbing over the next couple of months? I kinda feel like Rabblemaster might be nearing its peak, but Thoughtseize definitely still has room to grow.

I think Rabblemaster is staying where he is. I traded away 2 Thoughtseize for 2 Rabblemasters, only for Thoughtseize to climb up a few bucks and Rabblemaster dropping a few bucks the next day. I keep losing out on these trades. Feels bad man. :(

I get what it does in the deck but I feel it dilutes the deck's goal somewhat which is to finish off games before opponents get to their late game fatties. The only time it will be useful would be if your opponent is at 6-8 life and you have an inferior board but I find that sometimes even getting them to that life range is hard enough as it is. Mulliganing with Jeskai tempo is so important and seeing a Dig Through Time in your opening hand when you're already at 5 or 6 cards is never ever ideal because it is so mana/graveyard intensive.

After thinking about it, I decided to remove the 2 Gods Willing in my deck because it does not work with Stormbreath. Instead, I've replaced the 2 Steam Augury and 2 Dig Through Time with:

2 Void Snare: Still debating this over Titan Strength. Will have to test both. I like this because it clears the way for Rabblemaster. But then again, Titan Strength enables Rabble tokens to kill Courser (people don't ever seem to hesitate when doing this).

1 Banishing Light: Brings the count to 3 in the main deck. I don't recall ever regret having this in my hand though there were many times when I wished it was Detention Sphere instead.

1 Chandra Pyromaster: Brings the count to 2 in the main deck. Chandra has proven to be very useful in testing and a couple of people on spikes seem to have come to the same conclusion as well.

I wouldn't even bother with Void Snare. It's a little more mana friendly, but I would rather run another Banishing Light to "permanently" remove something.

Removing God's Willing makes sense if you're running Stormbreath. If you stick to Sarkhan though, you can possibly save it from Utter End or Devouring Light while avoiding things that would kill a Stormbreath right away like Hero's Downfall, Sarkhan's minus ability, or Stoke the Flames. Both Stormbreath and Sarkhan has its pros and cons. I blew out a few players saving my Rabblemaster from Anger of the Gods with God's Willing.

I still think leaving a Dig Through Time is correct. It sucks in opening hand, but you are going to have a lot of cards hitting that graveyard. Steam Augury kinda helps putting things in the graveyard and filling up your hand. Maybe leave 1 of each and test that out?

Angry Grimace

They can and have emergency banned cards before (Memory Jar), but they probably want to wait for an actual tournament and not just MTGO before making a decision.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they base most of their ban decisions off of MTGO because they have a much better chance to analyze data since the vast, vast majority of matches in paper tournaments aren't logged.

kirblar

Actually, I'm pretty sure they base most of their ban decisions off of MTGO because they have a much better chance to analyze data since the vast, vast majority of matches in paper tournaments aren't logged.
Seething Song got banned specifically because of Storm's G1 win % on MTGO. Given that the deck was super cheap, it was doing really bad things to the meta online (similar to Burn, but Burn you can beat if you want to.)

ElyrionX

I wouldn't even bother with Void Snare. It's a little more mana friendly, but I would rather run another Banishing Light to "permanently" remove something.

Removing God's Willing makes sense if you're running Stormbreath. If you stick to Sarkhan though, you can possibly save it from Utter End or Devouring Light while avoiding things that would kill a Stormbreath right away like Hero's Downfall, Sarkhan's minus ability, or Stoke the Flames. Both Stormbreath and Sarkhan has its pros and cons. I blew out a few players saving my Rabblemaster from Anger of the Gods with God's Willing.

I still think leaving a Dig Through Time is correct. It sucks in opening hand, but you are going to have a lot of cards hitting that graveyard. Steam Augury kinda helps putting things in the graveyard and filling up your hand. Maybe leave 1 of each and test that out?

I thought about it again and decided Titan Strength is better. Using Rabble tokens to blow out Courser is probably a strong enough play to keep it in. Also, using it on a Mantis Rider to stop a Prognostic Sphinx could be useful too. If Void Snare was instant-speed, the decision would have probably been harder.

Gods Willing can save creatures from Anger of the Gods? Isn't Anger a non-target spell that dodges protection like Verdict or Wrath? Or does the word "each" in its text mean otherwise?

I might try testing 1-ofs Dig and Steam Augury.

Currently, I am looking at Iroas. That ability seems interesting enough for this deck. Turn 3 Rabble/Mantis. Turn 4 Iroas. Turn 5 Stormbreath. Seems hard to beat.

Angry Grimace

Rabblemaster's pricing is basically the Mutavault effect all over, except with the annoying caveat that we have 2 Mutavaults in the format with Nissa being the other at Mythic.

I thought about it again and decided Titan Strength is better. Using Rabble tokens to blow out Courser is probably a strong enough play to keep it in. Also, using it on a Mantis Rider to stop a Prognostic Sphinx could be useful too. If Void Snare was instant-speed, the decision would have probably been harder.

Gods Willing can save creatures from Anger of the Gods? Isn't Anger a non-target spell that dodges protection like Verdict or Wrath? Or does the word "each" in its text mean otherwise?

Currently, I am looking at Iroas. That ability seems interesting enough for this deck. Turn 3 Rabble/Mantis. Turn 4 Iroas. Turn 5 Stormbreath. Seems hard to beat.

Anger of the Gods deals damage - protection granted by God's Willing reduces it to 0.

ElyrionX

Rabblemaster's pricing is basically the Mutavault effect all over, except with the annoying caveat that we have 2 Mutavaults in the format with Nissa being the other at Mythic.

Anger of the Gods deals damage - protection granted by God's Willing reduces it to 0.

I see.

To elaborate:

Protection does a number of very specific things. For a creature with Protection from X:

-The creature can't be targeted by spells or abilities that are X
-The creature can't be enchanted or equipped by permanents that are X
-The creature can't be blocked by creatures that are X
-All damage from sources that are X is prevented

Protection does NOT stop global -X/-X effects, sacrifice effects, or global destroy effects. This is why Anger of the Gods can't kill pro-red stuff, but Wrath of God can kill pro-white stuff.

Also note that some of the Protection clauses can be circumvented. For example, if there's an effect in place that says "Damage can't be prevented," then a creature with Protection from Red can still die if it blocks a bigger creature that's red. Also, White Ward (among other auras) had to have a clause specifying "Enchanted creature has protection from white. This effect doesn't remove White Ward" added to it.

Angry Grimace

Well, unlike Mutavault, Rabblemaster doesn't go into literally every deck.

I meant more in terms of being the annoying core set rare that costs a fuckload because its a core set rare that is actually constructed playable.

y2dvd

Everyone did a great job explaining wrath effects.

I would think it's more important to save your creature than use a combat trick to get rid of a Courser. Again, I'd rather run a "hard" removal aka another Banishing Light (assuming you're already running 4 Stoke the Flames already). Titan's Strength can be pretty dirty with Seeker of the Way though so I guess test it out and see how it works out. I'm still on the God's Willing side though!

I would not even bother with Iroas. Play Ashcloud Phoenix or Chandra instead. They are better 4 drops, the former flies over Coursers, and it's not like you will be able to turn on Iroas anyways. You run too many spells and not enough permanents.

rexor0717

Totally- also watched this last night.

I like the idea of Eidolon of the Great Revel coming in to stop the combo, but I'm sure that's not super reliable and is obviously very colour-specific.
I love how quickly Treasure Cruise became busted. Especially it being a 4x in that deck.

Firemind

Totally- also watched this last night.

I like the idea of Eidolon of the Great Revel coming in to stop the combo, but I'm sure that's not super reliable and is obviously very colour-specific.
Burn is about to get more popular in modern. I mean does Jeskai Combo even have an out? By the time you glittering wished for an out, you are already dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom