• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrinck

Is Plummet playable in Standard? My U/G deck needs a way to deal with aggressive flyers like Mantis Rider and Stormbreath. Or should I just play counterspells since I'm in blue?

Yup, it's in m15.
Isn't Arbor Colossus a better choice since I assume you are using mana dorks?

Wichu

Yup, it's in m15.
Isn't Arbor Colossus a better choice since I assume you are using mana dorks?
I should've said 'viable'; I know it's legal :p

Yes, I'm playing four of each Mystic (Elvish and Rattleclaw). I'll give the Colossus a shot, though my five-mana spot is already crowded with Prophet of Kruphix and unmorphing Sagu Mauler. I guess Prophet doesn't really count, though...

I might side a few counters (Negate?) anyway against removal-heavy decks to protect Prophet. 3 toughness isn't great, but its abilities are so good.

Also considering Windstorm to deal with Hornet Queen and Aetherspouts for Rabblemaster.

ultron87

Oh geez, that is gorgeous. Definitely getting it. Really like that it comes in a board game style box. (Really wish that is how Conspiracy had been presented.)

y2dvd

I wouldn't bother with Plummet. Your targets are Mantis Riders, Stormbreath Dragons that are now mostly replaced with Sarkhan making your Plummet dead in your hand, and Wingmate Rocs, but they are most likely casting it with Raid so you got two bodies to deal with, and Ashcloud Phoenix that gets to live as facedown card afterwards. Those are pretty narrow targets.

Playtested my Boros Burn vs Jeskai Tempo last night and went 9-1. My buddy thought my deck just counters his lol. I need to adjust it to fight midrange decks and have some late game gas. Don't laugh, but I'm testing out Hundred-Handed One. Basically, I think my deck is fast for game 1, then I would take out Monastery Swiftspear for Hundred-Handed One in midrange matches where I expect them to sideboard in Drown in Sorrow or Anger of the Gods. It may just be better to go Brimaz, but I like the 3/5 body as it blocks a lot of 4 power creatures and once Monstrous, it can block much fatter creatures along with all the goblin tokens. H-HO also dodges Stoke the Flames. I need more playtesting to see how it plays out.

bigkrev

Oh geez, that is gorgeous. Definitely getting it. Really like that it comes in a board game style box. (Really wish that is how Conspiracy had been presented.)

Yeah, hope they make this a regular thing, doing them every holiday until they run out of decks, and then switch to every other year. Would love to have a full set to just casually play with people, battle box style.

ElyrionX

Was at a LGS for the whole of today and played a lot of games with my Jeskai Tempo deck. I was using the Kevin Jones list with a slightly tweaked mana base and replaced the Sarkhan with Stormbreath. I tried replacing Stean Augury with Brimaz but Brimaz proved to be way too slow and I never found it to be useful at all. Dig Through Time was powerful but rarely useful as well. For a couple of games, I replaced the two Brimaz with Gods Willing and it tested very well. The protection was always relevant and the scry was useful too. Moving forward, I will be testing either Titan Strength or Void Snare in the place of the two Dig Through Time.

Finally, Stormbreath doesn't feel too useful and it feels as if Sarkhan would be stronger in the deck. Unfortunately, I don't feel like ponying up $40 for it.

Lucario

I didn't know how to draft khans so I just took all of the common morph creatures

okbOSW4.png

I hope I can last more than one round, lol. The bomb rares (sorin, thousand winds, and mardu ascendancy -- which was a fourth pick) should definitely help.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
dat FNM promo:

stoke-the-flames-card.png

Too bad its not until December. Cool art.

I didn't know how to draft khans so I just took all of the common morph creatures

okbOSW4.png

I hope I can last more than one round, lol. The bomb rares (sorin, thousand winds, and mardu ascendancy -- which was a fourth pick) should definitely help.

That mana curve makes me cry.

y2dvd

Was at a LGS for the whole of today and played a lot of games with my Jeskai Tempo deck. I was using the Kevin Jones list with a slightly tweaked mana base and replaced the Sarkhan with Stormbreath. I tried replacing Stean Augury with Brimaz but Brimaz proved to be way too slow and I never found it to be useful at all. Dig Through Time was powerful but rarely useful as well. For a couple of games, I replaced the two Brimaz with Gods Willing and it tested very well. The protection was always relevant and the scry was useful too. Moving forward, I will be testing either Titan Strength or Void Snare in the place of the two Dig Through Time.

Finally, Stormbreath doesn't feel too useful and it feels as if Sarkhan would be stronger in the deck. Unfortunately, I don't feel like ponying up $40 for it.

I'd stick with the Dig Through Time. You are usually trading card for card. My biggest issue when playing this past weekend was against grindy games. Without running Dig Thru Time, my opponents were able to eventually outdraw me while I kept bricking lands off the top. You want to be able to close those kind of games out, and Dig is a great way to restock and pull ahead.

I wonder if High Sentinels are being slept on. 3/4 flier for 4cmc isn't the worst. It blocks Mantis Riders profitably. I think I'll test it over Hundred-Handed One.

Lucario

I'm just hopelessly addicted to 1 and 2 drops in KTK.

There was a 60 year old man at my LGS playing mono-red at the first khans draft. He had two or three swiftspears, a full set of the hasty 2/2s, and a bunch of the 2RR 4/3s.

He went undefeated until it was time for him to leave. It was amazing.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trying out some weird Sarkhan-less control build on MODO right now. I just wish there was a better way to gain life in Mardu beyond busting Sorin out with some guys. Too bad Exile and/or Helix aren't legal.

There was a 60 year old man at my LGS playing mono-red at the first khans draft. He had two or three swiftspears, a full set of the hasty 2/2s, and a bunch of the 2RR 4/3s.

He went undefeated until it was time for him to leave. It was amazing.

I've heard people say this is a slow format, but I've had some extremely explosive draws playing Mardu. Rush of Battle has single-handedly won me multiple games (having Take up Arms and Hordeling Outburst helps.)

Lucario

I've heard people say this is a slow format, but I've had some extremely explosive draws playing Mardu. Rush of Battle has single-handedly won me multiple games (having Take up Arms and Hordeling Outburst helps.)

Funny you say that -- I'm losing in the finals to Mardu Warriors right now!

Angry Grimace

inthrall

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133141640]Trumpet blast plus flying prowess duders is king[/QUOTE]

Did a draft last night at the local, managed to sit in the middle of four people playing Abzan (still went 3-0). I feel going blue is severely underrated at the moment

Bandini

I've been having a lot of fun drafting Sultai delve, seems pretty damn consistent too. Last draft:

DCLmm9M.jpg

I didn't get as many creatures as I would have liked here but still went 2-0. Incremental growth was actually pretty terrible, I wouldn't play it again in this build.

It seems pretty easy to grab Hooting Mandrills + Taigam's Scheming + Bitter Revelation + Treasure Cruise, then just fill the rest out with other goodies. One game I was able to get Necropolis Fiend on turn three after a turn 2 Taigam's where I just dumped all the cards then tapped 3 and delved 6 on turn 3. Good stuff, this new set is great.

bigkrev

Can those new deck boxes hold sleeved cards? Deckboxes that can't hold sleeved cards are worthless and I don't understand why WOTC bothers with them :/

Judging from the video (as in, seeing how much free space is in each box) i'm pretty sure it fits the decks sleeved.

Attention software developers: Now would be a very good time to apply to Wizards if you want to help fix Magic Online.

Edit: just got the okay to give more details. I have a friend who works relatively high up at Wizards who just posted on Facebook that if you're interested, either go to the job board or contact him directly. If you PM me, I'll give you his contact info.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Attention software developers: Now would be a very good time to apply to Wizards if you want to help fix Magic Online.

Edit: just got the okay to give more details. I have a friend who works relatively high up at Wizards who just posted on Facebook that if you're interested, either go to the job board or contact him directly. If you PM me, I'll give you his contact info.

WotC finally noticed those Hearthstone numbers, hey?

f0rk

I doubt hiring a few new guys will help. They need to gut that department and start over. The problem seems to be with incompetent management from the middle up, how likely is a legitimately talented person going to stick around with that above them?

I doubt hiring a few new guys will help. They need to gut that department and start over. The problem seems to be with incompetent management from the middle up, how likely is a legitimately talented person going to stick around with that above them?

I don't know for sure but I have a feeling that might be what they're doing

After The Secretist and Godsend, there will be no more Magic e-books, and the game story will be told exclusively through the cards and Uncharted Realms now. The reason is explained in the link, but basically, sales of the e-books were OK, but not worth the investment, and they found that people were more familiar with story events if they were put on Uncharted Realms than if they were in the books.

EDIT: Also, orcs are going to still be a thing in future blocks. Making them a red/black race was huge in making this possible.

bigkrev

After The Secretist and Godsend, there will be no more Magic e-books, and the game story will be told exclusively through the cards and Uncharted Realms now. The reason is explained in the link, but basically, sales of the e-books were OK, but not worth the investment, and they found that people were more familiar with story events if they were put on Uncharted Realms than if they were in the books.

EDIT: Also, orcs are going to still be a thing in future blocks. Making them a red/black race was huge in making this possible.

When I was 13 years old, I would buy all the books and was in love with the story. When I came back to the game in 2009, I bought the Agents of Artiface book (which had good reviews), and was just bored with it to tears. I'm pretty sure it's because I got older/gained more discerning tastes, but I haven't given a crap about the story of Magic since then, outside of those trailers they do for each set.

Not surprised to see this change, and while the younger me is kind of sad, the modern me says good riddance.

I've been playing Shaheen Soorani's Sultai control deck for the last week and cannot fathom how people have success with an archetype like this without Wrath of God. It seems like all I do is one-for-one people with Hero's Downfall until I die from Rabblemaster tokens and other residual dudes. Between Downfall, Sultai Charm, Courser and Ashiok, it's impossible to keep up because you only get to cast one spell per turn until hitting 6 mana.

I've been toying with the idea of Embodiment of Spring as a 2 or 3 of to help stave off early aggression and ramp to the mythical 6 mana. Anyone considered that card for constructed play or seen it in action?

kirblar

I've been playing Shaheen Soorani's Sultai control deck for the last week and cannot fathom how people have success with an archetype like this without Wrath of God. It seems like all I do is one-for-one people with Hero's Downfall until I die from Rabblemaster tokens and other residual dudes. Between Downfall, Sultai Charm, Courser and Ashiok, it's impossible to keep up because you only get to cast one spell per turn until hitting 6 mana.

I've been toying with the idea of Embodiment of Spring as a 2 or 3 of to help stave off early aggression and ramp to the mythical 6 mana. Anyone considered that card for constructed play or seen it in action?
It's a bad list that's essentially a day -14 brew against an invisible field.

Shaheen does well with these lists because he's an insane player despite them. (Although when he did well in Modern, his deck blew up Affinity hard, and given that it was 25% of the field...)

Oh, and apparently Hornet Queen may have been a buyout target. :)

Firemind

Started with Jeskai, then Temur, then Sultai and settled with this abomination to eventually split the finals. Luckily, I picked lands very early, so I was rarely colour screwed. Did get mana screwed a few times though, so maybe 18 lands is the correct amount, but I didn't know what to cut. Weave Fate I suppose?

At first I thought Rakshasa Vizier was a crappy vanilla 4/4 at rare, but this guy can get big very easily. I only had three Delve cards and it could still grow reliably thanks to the ascendancy. Sultai Ascendancy is criminally underrated. It's no Abzan Ascendancy, but it's pretty powerful in the late game when you're digging for gas and your opponent will eventually draw blanks. It also lets you chain Treasure Cruises. I say try it out, Sultai brothers.

The morph trigger of Thousand Winds actually won me a game lol. I got blown out by double Abzan Charms, but managed to hold on. My opponent alpha striked for lethal, and I evacuated. Take that, Abzan Guides!

Monastery Flock and his bigger grounded brother Dragon Eye's Savants are very good in halting any early offense. Sometimes you can force them to unmorph by offering the trade. Then you unmorph. It's like a mini Time Walk. Sometimes they even try to kill it, since it trades with their morphs, which nets me a cool one-for-zero. I always see them going late, which is perfect for any deck with blue cards.

Scout the Borders is so good in any U/G deck. I counted my lucky stars and managed to pick one up very late. It should never go that late since both Temur and Sultai want it. It's both an Impulse and Dark Ritual in one package. On crack. Seriously, it fixes mana early or gives you gas in the late game, and lets you play nearly free spells. It's much better than Taigam's Scheming.

That concludes the findings from someone who drafted a crappy four colour deck. :lol It does prove that you don't have to be stuck with one clan. ;)

Angry Grimace

It's a bad list that's essentially a day -14 brew against an invisible field.

Shaheen does well with these lists because he's an insane player despite them. (Although when he did well in Modern, his deck blew up Affinity hard, and given that it was 25% of the field...)

Oh, and apparently Hornet Queen may have been a buyout target. :)

Some dude on MODO started flipping out when I cast Anger of the Gods after he used Hornet Queen and then Whipped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom