• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand why prowess is tacked on, lol. I don't think it would ever do anything.

They explained this, I believe in the article that spoiled it. In mirror matches where both players had Pearl Lake Ancient out, a surprise prowess trigger could allow you to kill your opponent's.

Crocodile

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133391933]I think the only non-planeswalker Mythic I'd take over a Jeskai Windscout at a major tournament would be Ashcloud Phoenix.[/QUOTE]

Wingmate Roc, Clever Imposter and Hooded Hydra say "sup". Some of the Clan leaders are worth gambling on too (though as always be willing to abandon ship if need be)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
They explained this, I believe in the article that spoiled it. In mirror matches where both players had Pearl Lake Ancient out, a surprise prowess trigger could allow you to kill your opponent's.

It sounds like bullshit to me. They could have just made it 6/6 or 7/7 if they were looking to break stalemates. Shit just sucks.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133393202]I'd take Windscout over those, though.[/QUOTE]

Again, lol

The Lion-Dude Birds and the Bees

Creatures(20):
•4x Satyr Wayfinder
•4x Sylvan Caryatid
•3x Nyx Weaver
•2x Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
•1x Clever Impersonator
•3x Prognostic Sphinx
•3x Hornet Queen

Spells(14):
•4x Commune With the Gods
•4x Murderous Cut
•2x Endless Obedience
•4x Thoughtseize

Enchantments(2):
•2x Whip of Erebos

Land(24):
•1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
•1x Mana Confluence
•3x Opulent Palace
•3x Polluted Delta
•4x Llanowar Wastes
•3x Yavimaya Coast
•3x Temple of Malady
•2x Temple of Mystery
•3x Swamp
•2x Island

Sidebar(15):
• 2x Reclamation Sage
• 2x Drown in Sorrow
• 1x Bile Blight
• 4x Doomwake Giant
• 2x Disdainful Stroke
• 2x Empty the Pits
• 1x Stain the Mind
• 1x Tormod's Crypt

Basically, Prog Sphinx is a castable finisher that blocks Stormbreath and Sarkhan while being a discard outlet for Hornet Queens.

Again, lol

I mean, obviously it depends on whether this is first pack or not, and Wingmate Roc is really close. But generally I think I'd rather take more Jeskai Windscouts and have a consistent deck than a double-white splash for a 5-drop in what is ostensibly a UR deck I'm looking for. Clever Impersonator is really awesome, but the power level in draft is only somewhat higher than a charm due to the low average power of cards in general. Hooded Hydra is about as strong as Wingmate Roc, but I'd rather not force green if I can help it.

That said, there are certainly rares and uncommons that I'd take over a windscout. High Sentinels or Jeskai Ascendancy are insane. Deflecting Palm is pretty good. Crater's Claws for sure. I'd splash for Knuckleblade or Butcher.

Wichu

Drafted Khans for the first time last night. I had no idea what I was doing. Five-colour jank rares is a legit strategy, right?

EDIT: Also someone copied my Sagu Mauler with Clever Impersonator, then made it eat mine with Dragonscale Boon when I attacked. He then attacked with it for lethal into my tapped field... straight into Deflecting Palm :p

Firemind

I don't get why Trumpet Blast is the best red common in a deck that wants to trigger prowess. I mean, it triggers it, but your creatures will still often get traded and you don't play as many creatures as other decks because of aforementioned prowess. Maybe if you pick Mardu Hordechief high, but it's not even on the list of best white commons. Instead Defiant Strike is in it, which is just an average card in my experience. On a creature with prowess it gives +2/+1, which is much worse than Giant Growth. It doesn't save Bloodfire Expert for example. Yes, it draws a card, but the point of tempo is to gain momentum, not get a small effect that may not even save your creatures.

Force Away and Burn Away are premium removal and personally I prefer the former over Crippling Chill, since bouncing can sometimes get you blowouts. Arrow Storm is also good, but you don't want too many of them to clump your five drops, like unmorphs and Master the Way. Smite the Monstrous is also fine, but it's not the best white common.

Then again, my Jeskai draft decks are always white-based with either blue or red as a third splash. The white creatures are a little bit better than the blue and red ones. Blue has Windscout, Mistfire, Mystic, Elder, which are all fine, but won't help you when you're behind. Red has Leaping Master and a bunch of weenies, but sometimes you can't draft a pure aggressive deck, so you need midrange cards to win the long game.

Goth 4th in a GP qualifier last night with Jeskai Tempo.

Was only running 2 deflecting palms in the side but now I want to run more.

Also Jeskai Charming someones courser to the top of their deck 3 times in a row makes them a bit pissed.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Also Jeskai Charming someones courser to the top of their deck 3 times in a row makes them a bit pissed.
Did he have another Courser out? That would be hilarious if so

I don't get why Trumpet Blast is the best red common in a deck that wants to trigger prowess. I mean, it triggers it, but your creatures will still often get traded and you don't play as many creatures as other decks because of aforementioned prowess. Maybe if you pick Mardu Hordechief high, but it's not even on the list of best white commons. Instead Defiant Strike is in it, which is just an average card in my experience. On a creature with prowess it gives +2/+1, which is much worse than Giant Growth. It doesn't save Bloodfire Expert for example. Yes, it draws a card, but the point of tempo is to gain momentum, not get a small effect that may not even save your creatures.

Force Away and Burn Away are premium removal and personally I prefer the former over Crippling Chill, since bouncing can sometimes get you blowouts. Arrow Storm is also good, but you don't want too many of them to clump your five drops, like unmorphs and Master the Way. Smite the Monstrous is also fine, but it's not the best white common.

Then again, my Jeskai draft decks are always white-based with either blue or red as a third splash. The white creatures are a little bit better than the blue and red ones. Blue has Windscout, Mistfire, Mystic, Elder, which are all fine, but won't help you when you're behind. Red has Leaping Master and a bunch of weenies, but sometimes you can't draft a pure aggressive deck, so you need midrange cards to win the long game.

Defiant Strike and Crippling Chill are insane because they cause valuable effects without costing a card. If you set up your deck for Prowess, Defiant Strike can often be a 1-mana anthem that replaces itself. You want to always threaten Prowess triggers, which means you can run out of cards faster than you expect. Having ways to anthem your team at instant speed without losing cards is fundamental to building the deck.

Smite the Monstrous is the best white common for a UR tempo deck because it kills the creatures you have trouble attacking through. The other white removal like kill shot that's super important in other decks isn't as good here. It's definitely the best white common for the deck. I still wouldn't play more than one or two, though. Generally there aren't a ton of white cards I want to play in the deck. I love Jeskai Student, and if I get locked into a heavier white deck then that becomes a priority. I do like Mardu Hordechief, but it's a higher pick in my Mardu deck than the UR one.

Force Away is awesome. It's probably around 4th-5th best blue common for me. I'm surprised you like it so much when you hate Bloodfire Expert for... what reason again? The fact that Bloodfire Expert triggers ferocious on Force Away and random filler cards is insane. Once you have 2+ Bloodfire Experts Force Away starts getting as good or better than Crippling Chill. But Crippling Chill is a card I'd be comfortable running 6 of in my limited pools because it improves the consistency of your deck while advancing your gameplan. It's the perfect tempo card. It also makes stuff like Master the Way better.

Winning from behind is why I take stuff like Mystic of the Hidden Way really highly, and a Riverwheel Aerialits or a Waterwhirl or two if I can get it. But Jeskai is a hard deck to draft in general, because it requires a density of spells and prowess creatures. It's definitely an all-in strategy which is why you have to consciously take stuff like Jeskai Windscout over bomb mythics to be successful. You don't want to be the 2 windscout deck with a bunch of random cards and just get blown out.

The reason I play UR over white-based decks is because the spells are stronger for prowess in blue and red, and the creatures matter slightly less than other decks. Using counters/bounce/tap/card draw effects on your opponent's turn then attacking all at once with trumpet blast/prowess triggers for huge chunks is the basis of the strategy.

I remember Azorius Charming someone's turn-1 mutavault three times during Game Day Born of the Gods lol. Dude lost his mind.

y2dvd

I want to Deflecting Palm a Deflecting Palm so bad. It'll be like some back and forth martial arts action!

When playtesting, our Jeskai player actually wasn't too happy with Deflecting Palm. I would think it's crappy against aggro where you're just reflecting 2 dmg or so and bad against Courser decks because you're being retroactive to a card that doesn't mind building it's board while gaining life from land drops. When would you sideboard in DP?

I want to Deflecting Palm a Deflecting Palm so bad. It'll be like some back and forth martial arts action!

When playtesting, our Jeskai player actually wasn't too happy with Deflecting Palm. I would think it's crappy against aggro where you're just reflecting 2 dmg or so and bad against Courser decks because you're being retroactive to a card that doesn't mind building it's board while gaining life from land drops. When would you sideboard in DP?

Maybe against big lifelink creatures like Butcher of the Horde?

Courser decks. Never mind the lifegain, aside from hornet queen, courser decks usually have 8-10 juicy targets for the card. Rhino, polukranos, arbor colossus, sagu mauler, and genesis hydra are all prime candidates. And seeing it once will also make them cautious to all-in attack going forward.

Threat of deflecting palm is almost more effective than using it. Keep one in sideboard and put it down face up for your opponent to see while sideboarding. If they have a big monsters deck with removal, you can sometimes get them to hold up removal for their own attacks.

ElyrionX

Courser decks. Never mind the lifegain, aside from hornet queen, courser decks usually have 8-10 juicy targets for the card. Rhino, polukranos, arbor colossus, sagu mauler, and genesis hydra are all prime candidates. And seeing it once will also make them cautious to all-in attack going forward.

Threat of deflecting palm is almost more effective than using it. Keep one in sideboard and put it down face up for your opponent to see while sideboarding. If they have a big monsters deck with removal, you can sometimes get them to hold up removal for their own attacks.

LOL. Good stuff. I love mind games.

bigkrev

That's pretty great.

How does everyone else sideboard? Assuming I'm familiar with the deck, I just shuffle the whole sideboard in and then take 15 cards out, to disguise how many cards I am actually siding in.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133395986]The Lion-Dude Birds and the Bees

Creatures(20):
•4x Satyr Wayfinder
•4x Sylvan Caryatid
•3x Nyx Weaver
•2x Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
•1x Clever Impersonator
•3x Prognostic Sphinx
•3x Hornet Queen

Spells(14):
•4x Commune With the Gods
•4x Murderous Cut
•2x Endless Obedience
•4x Thoughtseize

Enchantments(2):
•2x Whip of Erebos

Land(24):
•1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
•1x Mana Confluence
•3x Opulent Palace
•3x Polluted Delta
•4x Llanowar Wastes
•3x Yavimaya Coast
•3x Temple of Malady
•2x Temple of Mystery
•3x Swamp
•2x Island

Sidebar(15):
• 2x Reclamation Sage
• 2x Drown in Sorrow
• 1x Bile Blight
• 4x Doomwake Giant
• 2x Disdainful Stroke
• 2x Empty the Pits
• 1x Stain the Mind
• 1x Tormod's Crypt

Basically, Prog Sphinx is a castable finisher that blocks Stormbreath and Sarkhan while being a discard outlet for Hornet Queens.
[/QUOTE]

I would love to play against this deck. Mostly because it would brick ultra hard to mine.

blingmto42.gif

I would love to play against this deck. Mostly because it would brick ultra hard to mine.

Anger of the Gods is sadness :-(

Need to run some Masters of Waves in the 75 fo sho.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133453337]
blingmto42.gif

Anger of the Gods is sadness :-(

Need to run some Masters of Waves in the 75 fo sho.[/QUOTE]

I once lost to a guy that had like three Stain the Mind in his main.

y2dvd

I see. I would also want to sb in End Hostilities vs that match up.

Lol while it is funny to bait them to use removal on their own creature, I would think more times than not, you want to actually get the DP dmg through. Of course, it depends on the board state though.

Angry Grimace

The biggest problem I have in control is that there's nothing as good as AEtherling as a finisher available. I'm using Sarkhan, Elspeth and Zurgo, all of which die to Hero's Downfall (which tends to just sit in their hands since there aren't any other targets to use it on).

I once lost to a guy that had like three Stain the Mind in his main.

I played a guy that had 4 main at FNM once. He took my Sphinx's Revelations, Supreme Verdicts and Elspeths. He's all like "that's everything, right?"

So I killed him with AEtherling.

After sideboard I just diversified my win conditions by splitting everything to make his Stains worse. so half Verdicts/AEtherspouts, toss in a couple Blood Barons.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133462175]All I want is

X2UBG: Delve, mill until x lands are revealed.[/QUOTE]

you understand why they don't print cards like that right

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133458923]I played a guy that had 4 main at FNM once. He took my Sphinx's Revelations, Supreme Verdicts and Elspeths. He's all like "that's everything, right?"

So I killed him with AEtherling.

After sideboard I just diversified my win conditions by splitting everything to make his Stains worse. so half Verdicts/AEtherspouts, toss in a couple Blood Barons.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but you got lucky if you drew the single AEtherling in your deck

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133464632]Sure buts better than scooping when I still have regular-ass kill spells counters and scry left in the deck.

Same like when I got triple rakdos returned at a 5k.[/QUOTE]

Drawing an AEtherling in an Esper deck in the last standard after three STM is like topdeck of the century. The deck isn't good enough to win after that outside of a total miracle.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133434530]Defiant Strike and Crippling Chill are insane because they cause valuable effects without costing a card. If you set up your deck for Prowess, Defiant Strike can often be a 1-mana anthem that replaces itself. You want to always threaten Prowess triggers, which means you can run out of cards faster than you expect. Having ways to anthem your team at instant speed without losing cards is fundamental to building the deck.

Smite the Monstrous is the best white common for a UR tempo deck because it kills the creatures you have trouble attacking through. The other white removal like kill shot that's super important in other decks isn't as good here. It's definitely the best white common for the deck. I still wouldn't play more than one or two, though. Generally there aren't a ton of white cards I want to play in the deck. I love Jeskai Student, and if I get locked into a heavier white deck then that becomes a priority. I do like Mardu Hordechief, but it's a higher pick in my Mardu deck than the UR one.

Force Away is awesome. It's probably around 4th-5th best blue common for me. I'm surprised you like it so much when you hate Bloodfire Expert for... what reason again? The fact that Bloodfire Expert triggers ferocious on Force Away and random filler cards is insane. Once you have 2+ Bloodfire Experts Force Away starts getting as good or better than Crippling Chill. But Crippling Chill is a card I'd be comfortable running 6 of in my limited pools because it improves the consistency of your deck while advancing your gameplan. It's the perfect tempo card. It also makes stuff like Master the Way better.

Winning from behind is why I take stuff like Mystic of the Hidden Way really highly, and a Riverwheel Aerialits or a Waterwhirl or two if I can get it. But Jeskai is a hard deck to draft in general, because it requires a density of spells and prowess creatures. It's definitely an all-in strategy which is why you have to consciously take stuff like Jeskai Windscout over bomb mythics to be successful. You don't want to be the 2 windscout deck with a bunch of random cards and just get blown out.

The reason I play UR over white-based decks is because the spells are stronger for prowess in blue and red, and the creatures matter slightly less than other decks. Using counters/bounce/tap/card draw effects on your opponent's turn then attacking all at once with trumpet blast/prowess triggers for huge chunks is the basis of the strategy.[/QUOTE]

You make it seem the prowess creatures are there for the picking. Maybe you've been drafting too much on Cockatrice. :lol

Synergy is important. In practice, other people are inclined to pick stronger cards over synergy, especially in a shard block. Raid and Outlast fits Jeskai for example depending on the card. In the same way, a lot of good prowess creatures like Seeker of the Way are playable in other decks. Either you fight for the good cards, or you can go all-in on the Bloodfire Experts and Windscouts I suppose. I'd force it if it was Kiln Fiend and Distortion Strike, but Bloodfire Expert is no Kiln Fiend and Defiant Strike is no Distortion Strike.

I realize Crippling Chill and Trumpet Blast are excellent for an all-in strategy, but that requires a good hand and a percentage of the times you're just going to brick, either because you're not drawing enough creatures or your opponent keeps killing them, Defiant Strike is a good example. It may give an anthem effect to all your creatures, or it may be stuck in your hand or does a very small effect. I'd rather have an actual anthem like Jeskai Ascendancy.

Angry Grimace

I'm not really sure exactly how to beat a BUG Control matchup. I mean, its very easy to not lose that matchup, but its mostly just sitting around until it goes to time.

Yeah I deflecting palmed a polukranos hitting me for 13 dmg last night.

I sided it in vs Abzan superfriends for siege rhino and the green ramp decks which were most of the decks I played against.

Kerrinck

For you guys that order cards through Amazon, how long does it usually take for stuff to arrive? Will be in the US next week so I'm wondering when I should order them.

kirblar

Yay, the fetches I still needed hit my "buy now" point on TCGP (15 for Strand, 16 for Delta) so will finally have the set of 40 soon. :)

Kerrinck

Ouch that changes my plans a bit then. Was going to order through Amazon's Cardrush since they have some decent prices on fetches but I'll probably get them from another store then.

kirblar

Ouch that changes my plans a bit then. Was going to order through Amazon's Cardrush since they have some decent prices on fetches but I'll probably get them from another store then.
Anything by mail kinda needs a loose lead time. Were they shipping to a friend's place?

Firemind

What are some good speculative buying tips before Friday?

I was about to buy Mantis Rider for 1.50 two weeks ago but now they jumped to 5.

Maybe someone will break Jeskai Ascendancy in standard too. :lol

kirblar

I was about to buy Mantis Rider for 1.50 two weeks ago but now they jumped to 5.

Twinflame is the card to jump if it breaks in Standard. Otherwise, everything sorta already jumped.

Angry Grimace

Go back in time and buy a lot of Wingmate Rocs. They're already expensive though. But I think they could get worse.

I wish I was confident that BUG control is going to work. I think its pretty bad, and very durdly. If it ends up being good, then I guess Empty the Pits would be good also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom