• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.
After playing a bunch of drafts, here's how I'm rating the clans right now:

1. Jeskai
  2. Mardu
  3. Temur
  4. Abzan
  5. Sultai

In the land of 3-mana 2/2s, cheap prowess creatures and tempo cards like crippling chill and force away are God.

Firemind

My favourite feeling is offering the trade, he/she unmorphs to some fatty and I Force Away. Literal Time Walk right there.

Also, Mardu is poops. I have not lost a single time facing Mardu.

My favourite feeling is offering the trade, he/she unmorphs to some fatty and I Force Away. Literal Time Walk right there.

When I say Mardu, I really mean mono red trumpet blast aggro. Aka Jeskai without the blue cards.

Firemind

That still seems terrible, unless you somehow got multiple Hordemates, Heart-Piercers and Hordling Outbursts. Just trade anything they play and I'm usually fine.

Repgnar

Two friends and I went out and each bought a Khans of Tarkir fatpack each yesterday. Threw together some rag tag decks and are going to run through a few games today to get a feel. Trying to learn enough so we can go to their draft events on Thursday and Friday this week without being completely new to the game. Also picked up Planeswalkers 2014 so I should have the basics down by then.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Act of Treason is kind of bullshit. There's a reason Harness by Force was a rare.

Mardu is not great in draft since the most common wedge-creature is Ponyback Brigade, which is super, super medicore unless you have Ankle Shanker or something to push it through.

Thank you for the Arc Lightning blowouts. :D

Arc Lightning is so good. But hey, if you're not playing your aggro creatures because they die to removal then I don't know what to tell you.

1. Monastery Swiftspear, 1 damage. Opponent plays some tapped land that gains them a life.
  2. Valley Dasher, 4 damage. Opponent does nothing because their deck is all morphs.
  3. Bloodfire Expert, 7 damage. Opponent plays a morph.
  4. opponent declines to block with their precious morphed Abzan Guide whose lifelink they think will save them, Trumpet Blast to hit 21 damage

It's gonna happen. Joking aside, Rx aggro decks are really hot right now. URw is the best deck in the format, but I'll take anything red-based.

Act of Treason is kind of bullshit. There's a reason Harness by Force was a rare.

I've actually had someone crippling chill my Surrak end of turn and then Act of treason it, triggering prowess then sending it back to me, still tapped. Rage.

Mardu is not great in draft since the most common wedge-creature is Ponyback Brigade, which is super, super medicore unless you have Ankle Shanker or something to push it through.

3-mana 3/1s with upside are bad, and a 6-mana 4-for-1 that can play out anywhere on the mana curve is mediocre? I haven't checked my calendar but it must be piss off GB day. First of all, it's the most common Mardu creature because it's the ONLY common Mardu creature. Secondly, a 3-mana 2/2 with instant-speed token generation is nuts.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133321649]
  1. Monastery Swiftspear, 1 damage. Opponent plays some tapped land that gains them a life.
  2. Valley Dasher, 4 damage. Opponent does nothing because their deck is all morphs.
  3. Bloodfire Expert, 7 damage. Opponent plays a morph.
  4. opponent declines to block with their precious morphed Abzan Guide whose lifelink they think will save them, Trumpet Blast to hit 21 damage
[/QUOTE]
This math doesn't even add up.

It should be 1, 3, 3, 6+ (?)

17 damage total if you threaten

15 damage if you trumpet blast (bloodfire expert is blocked)

Edit: oops i misinterpreted your math my bad :lol

bigkrev

Apparently, the secret to Modern is that you can just play whatever deck you want, as long as you can jam 4x Treasure Cruise into it
BzXsJK9CQAAbGeu.png

Morphs are supposed to block and trade and die left and right if you're playing a Sultai/Temur/Abzhan deck (generally speaking). If you've drafted those decks correctly, you've got more chunky creatures coming off the top; anyone who tries to "protect" their early morphs by not blocking against a super aggressive start is doing it wrong.

Grakl

I don't know when you'll ever get a nut draw like that *and* be against an opponent who literally does nothing, lol.

Getting Rescue from the Underworld countered is the worst.

Morphs are supposed to block and trade and die left and right if you're playing a Sultai/Temur/Abzhan deck (generally speaking). If you've drafted those decks correctly, you've got more chunky creatures coming off the top; anyone who tries to "protect" their early morphs by not blocking against a super aggressive start is doing it wrong.

"joking aside"

kirblar

If Ascendancy takes off in Standard, btw, Twinflame is the card that will jump. (Just grabbed a set for 1.32 to be safe.)

bigkrev

If Ascendancy takes off in Standard, btw, Twinflame is the card that will jump. (Just grabbed a set for 1.32 to be safe.)

Thanks. Got a set for 1.60 on Amazon

Also, my envelope with 4x Mantis Rider and 4x Jeskai Ascendency that was a 5.40 preorder finally showed up, much to my excitement

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Having played Ascendancy standard, its utter garbage without Modern level cantrips and tutors.

Angry Grimace

FYI Vintage Masters is leaving MTGO tomorrow during the downtime.

Firemind

Holy shit these Tormenting Voices have been incredible for me. I'm still mana flooded, but I'm discarding lands and drawing gas eventually. Arrow Storm for the win!

Firemind

Ha! Finals was a Jeskai mirror, also splashing blue for Jeskai cards. He had Mantis Rider, Dragon-Style Twins, Flying Crane Technique, Mindblast, basically Jeskai goodstuff. I still won both games convincingly. Low enough to Arrow Storm for lethal in the first game and Force Away'd his guy when he wanted to Flying Crane Technique after I double blocked his guy. Also, this is the first time I realized Set Adrift is a sorcery. That makes it much worse than Force Away. Should have taken the Force Away over it. :lol

Angry Grimace

Does it make me a bad person if I used Despise to look at my mono-green opponents hand and saw that he had Genesis Hydras and Hornet Queens and I let him cast it just so I could snicker about casting End Hostilities in 2 turns?

(I coulda just killed him via ZURGO SMASH)

ElyrionX

To elaborate:

Protection does a number of very specific things. For a creature with Protection from X:

-The creature can't be targeted by spells or abilities that are X
-The creature can't be enchanted or equipped by permanents that are X
-The creature can't be blocked by creatures that are X
-All damage from sources that are X is prevented

Protection does NOT stop global -X/-X effects, sacrifice effects, or global destroy effects. This is why Anger of the Gods can't kill pro-red stuff, but Wrath of God can kill pro-white stuff.

Also note that some of the Protection clauses can be circumvented. For example, if there's an effect in place that says "Damage can't be prevented," then a creature with Protection from Red can still die if it blocks a bigger creature that's red. Also, White Ward (among other auras) had to have a clause specifying "Enchanted creature has protection from white. This effect doesn't remove White Ward" added to it.

Thanks. This has been helpful.

Ha! Finals was a Jeskai mirror, also splashing blue for Jeskai cards. He had Mantis Rider, Dragon-Style Twins, Flying Crane Technique, Mindblast, basically Jeskai goodstuff. I still won both games convincingly. Low enough to Arrow Storm for lethal in the first game and Force Away'd his guy when he wanted to Flying Crane Technique after I double blocked his guy. Also, this is the first time I realized Set Adrift is a sorcery. That makes it much worse than Force Away. Should have taken the Force Away over it. :lol

Set Adrift is straight garbage.

Kerrinck

Just 4-0'd a daily with Valentine's Abzan deck (only change was -1 Empty the pits for a 4th queen) and hornet queen really is absurdly strong. Really brought me back from a couple of lost games.
Didn't like the Necropolis Fiend too much but that's probably because he always died to removal.

Firemind

I wouldn't say it's garbage. It still gains you tempo by resetting their sliver mans or expensive morphs, but yeah, it's definitely worse than Force Away.

Leaping Master has been a house for me. I'm never sad to have him trade with a morph, since you net gain one mana by doing so. In the late game, he's not completely a dead draw as he's basically a Wind Drake. He also triggers Raid without having to suicide into something. Who needs Valley Dasher? :lol

kirblar

Just 4-0'd a daily with Valentine's Abzan deck (only change was -1 Empty the pits for a 4th queen) and hornet queen really is absurdly strong. Really brought me back from a couple of lost games.
Didn't like the Necropolis Fiend too much but that's probably because he always died to removal.
People really aren't prepared for it yet, the reanimator shell is really strong.

Upgraded my EDH combo to a 3-piece:

Maralen of the Mornsong + Ob Nixilis, Unshackled + Sorin Markov. Boom.

I wouldn't say it's garbage. It still gains you tempo by resetting their sliver mans or expensive morphs, but yeah, it's definitely worse than Force Away.

Leaping Master has been a house for me. I'm never sad to have him trade with a morph, since you net gain one mana by doing so. In the late game, he's not completely a dead draw as he's basically a Wind Drake. He also triggers Raid without having to suicide into something. Who needs Valley Dasher? :lol

Leaping Master is awesome.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133358327]Set Adrift is straight garbage.[/QUOTE]

If you could routinely expect to delve it down to a single blue, it would be an awesome tempo card. As it stands now, it's only marginally playable, if it's your only Delve and you really need a 22nd.

Angry Grimace

One last VMA draft for posterity.

Dat Ancestral Recall

Since a bunch of people have had limited questions, I did a couple bestiaire cycles. I know it's not a real draft, but I figured that this was a good way to show my pick order while representing generally what kind of deck I'm looking to build in Khans.

URw Tempo
GB said:

Top 3 Blue commons:
  1. Jeskai Windscout
  2. Crippling Chill
  3. Mystic of the Hidden Way

Top 3 Red commons:
  1. Trumpet Blast
  2. Leaping Master
  3. Act of Treason

Top 3 White commons:
  1. Smite the Monstrous
  2. Defiant Strike
  3. Feat of Resistance

Top 3 Jeskai uncommons:
  1. Ride Down
  2. Jeskai Charm
  3. Master the Way

Angry Grimace

gonna laugh when Wingmate Roc dominates the PT and goes up to like 25 bucks

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133388441]Since a bunch of people have had limited questions, I did a couple bestiaire cycles. I know it's not a real draft, but I figured that this was a good way to show my pick order while representing generally what kind of deck I'm looking to build in Khans.

URw Tempo

Top 3 Blue commons:
  1. Jeskai Windscout
  2. Crippling Chill
  3. Mystic of the Hidden Way

Top 3 Red commons:
  1. Trumpet Blast
  2. Leaping Master
  3. Act of Treason

Top 3 White commons:
  1. Smite the Monstrous
  2. Defiant Strike
  3. Feat of Resistance

Top 3 Jeskai uncommons:
  1. Ride Down
  2. Jeskai Charm
  3. Master the Way
[/QUOTE]

lol

Grakl

Bloodfire Mentor is my favorite red common in draft ez. Also Treasure Cruise is da best.

Give me card draw all day please.

Angry Grimace

Jesus, Pearl Lake Ancient sucks ass. Even in limited its a piece of shit waste of mana because it doesn't have fucking trample and gets chumped by that one-mana regenerator. What the fuck was Wizards thinking with such a pile of shit at Mythic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom