• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wichu

Image.ashx

I had the opportunity to pick a foil one in a rare re-draft, but picked Polluted Delta instead. If it shoots up too much, I'll be a bit annoyed.

kirblar

Hotel in Florida, will be staying between this saturday and the next one.
Might want to look up Florida dealers on TCGP/Amazon.
How can everything be more expensive now? :lol

Won't it reach a certain point where opening boxes will be profitable?
Supply Crunch- this set is infinitely more popular than Theros, lots of people are jumping into Standard who sat out most of last year, set's very powerful and in-demand from Eternal players, etc. The second wave apparently hit last weekend/this week, but its still selling like crazy.
Ain't gonna happen. Very few decks are gonna use this card.
Instant Legacy/Modern staple, and won the SCG Standard Open in NJ the weekend it debuted.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
How can everything be more expensive now? :lol

Won't it reach a certain point where opening boxes will be profitable?

Its compression. Fetches get cheaper and other stuff shifts around whatever the perceived meta is. A lot of this will be semi-settled by the Pro Tour.

Supply Crunch- this set is infinitely more popular than Theros, lots of people are jumping into Standard who sat out most of last year, set's very powerful and in-demand from Eternal players, etc. The second wave apparently hit last weekend/this week, but its still selling like crazy.

Uh, Theros block is the highest selling and most popular block in Magic history.

kirblar

Uh, Theros block is the highest selling and most popular block in Magic history.
I hope this is intended as pointing out how silly it is when that stat gets thrown out (Every Fall Set since Zendikar has taken the Best-Selling title from the last block.)

A lot of things about Theros (Standard, Born of the Gods, the Greek theme feeling really restrictive, all mechanics minus monstrous being re-treads) didn't seem to work. When you do a bottom-up block, you want an open-ended theme (Horror) not a close-ended (Greek Mythology) one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I hope his is intended as pointing out how silly it is when that stat gets thrown out (Every Fall Set since Zendikar has taken the Best-Selling title from the last block.)

No, its intended to point out how silly it is to claim Khans of Tarkir is "infinitely more popular than Theros" without any particular basis, statistical or otherwise, for making that claim. There are in fact, many sets that sold poorly relative to the player-base.

kirblar

No, its intended to point out how silly it is to claim Khans of Tarkir is "infinitely more popular than Theros" without any particular basis, statistical or otherwise, for making that claim. There are in fact, many sets that sold poorly relative to the player-base.
This will not be one of them. (Hi Fetches!) The limited is much better. The cards are more powerful. The setting works much better for M:TG.

The price surge you're seeing also occurred in RTR block/Innistrad, both of which were hyper-popular. This is the first "great" set they've put out since RTR.

Angry Grimace

I don't suppose anyone wants to trade me a Sarkhan for a Nissa? I have a Nissa I'm not using and I need a third Sarkhan.

A lot of things about Theros (Standard, Born of the Gods, the Greek theme feeling really restrictive, all mechanics minus monstrous being re-treads) didn't seem to work. When you do a bottom-up block, you want an open-ended theme (Horror) not a close-ended (Greek Mythology) one.

Come on now kirblar. I've come to expect more from you. ;)

Rather than Hornet Queen, someone please tell me that a R/G(/x?) Hornet Nest + Anger of the Gods combo wouldn't be awesome... Something with lotsa burn / removal.. Maybe even with Dictate of the Twin Gods flashed out on the turn before you drop Anger on your Nest(s) :p FNM-worthy? I wish the Nest had reach, but I don't think that would make a ton of sense flavour-wise.

That said, I did buy 4 Hornet Queens when M15 came out because I like to buy all the insect creatures, lol. I love that it's popular and actually good right now.

GB is right about one thing. Nobody wants to draft Jeskai. I tried force Abzan, switched to Jeskai in pack two (I had some spec picks during the dregs of pack one that made this not super painful). Smashed the draft, only losing one game in three matches (to a deck with Duneblast, Death Frenzy, and Zurgo on the splash).

Rminvha.jpg

And the best card in my deck? Every game? Jeskai Windscout. GB might be hyperbolic, but he's not wrong to have pegged Jeskai as where you want to be for an aggressive strategy.

On the rares: Thousand Winds was very, very good. Mindswipe went something like 10th in pack one; it was very good too in a deck that was always ahead on board (but its not an early pick). The star of the show was Icy Blast, my P2P1 that I still thought was going to be a splash in an Abzan deck. That card is sooo good.

Jeskai is super super good right now. Not just because you get passed all your best commons, but because Abzan in particular is so popular. Everyone seems to think this is still the prerelease sealed format where Abzan dominates. When your opponent likes to spend their mana unmorphing and outlasting, 2-mana bounce spells are huge tempo swings.

Kinda feels like this, to be honest:

vsabzanlruwm.png

Crocodile

I hope this is intended as pointing out how silly it is when that stat gets thrown out (Every Fall Set since Zendikar has taken the Best-Selling title from the last block.)

From day 1 Theros was meant to be a top-down block, never a bottom-up so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133531496] pic [/QUOTE]

lol

Random aside:

Say I have a Darkthicket Wolf in play and use its ability to give it +2/+2 until end of turn. Then I use the ability on Feed the Pack to sac Darkthicket Wolf. It keeps the +2/+2, right? It only loses it when the turn is completely over?

175.jpg
114.jpg

kirblar

From day 1 Theros was meant to be a top-down block, never a bottom-up so I'm not sure what you're trying to say.
That's the one I meant, lol. The problem is that Greek Mythology is super-limited. There are a billion vampire stories, werewolf stories, etc- but there's only Zeus/Athena, etc.

Yeef

lol

Random aside:

Say I have a Darkthicket Wolf in play and use its ability to give it +2/+2 until end of turn. Then I use the ability on Feed the Pack to sac Darkthicket Wolf. It keeps the +2/+2, right? It only loses it when the turn is completely over?

175.jpg
114.jpg
Correct. It loses the bonus during the cleanup step, which is after the end step.

Correct. It loses the bonus during the cleanup step, which is after the end step.

Thanks! :)

Yeah, I figured that was the way it worked.. I was going through my only commander deck (Wolf-themed. Not strong, but funny) and wanted to make sure that the interaction was 100% valid (basically, I search him up with Hibernation's End on the Cumulative Upkeep #2). It has come up before and no one was fully sure. Gotta get more EDH games in... none of my usual play group has any decks.

110.jpg

y2dvd

Had to mull to 3 cards while on the play. Feels bad man. =(

This guy speculated on Mantis Rider while it was only .50 cents and he had 4 pages worth of it. Yeah, he's winning with his trades right now lol. Lots of Abzan and G/B devotion/delve decks tonight. Everyone was running Hornet Queen lol.

Exokell

Banned
Getting sick of getting mana screwed in draft. Always stuck at 3 to 4 lands when the format is all about 5 lands. Gonna go 18 lands from 17.

ElyrionX

Had to mull to 3 cards while on the play. Feels bad man. =(

This guy speculated on Mantis Rider while it was only .50 cents and he had 4 pages worth of it. Yeah, he's winning with his trades right now lol. Lots of Abzan and G/B devotion/delve decks tonight. Everyone was running Hornet Queen lol.

Does it ever make sense to mull to anything below 5 cards? It seems like at that point, you're already on the verge of losing the game.

Does it ever make sense to mull to anything below 5 cards? It seems like at that point, you're already on the verge of losing the game.

Depends on your deck. If you have ways of getting lots of card advantage back at once(ancestral recall turn one and don't need to discard? too godlike lol) then it's still possible to win. Also decks that need specific cards. Vintage dredge is going to mulligan until they hit Bazaar of Baghdad. Decks like modern Bogles also mulligan well because you only need a few cards to win the game(1-2 lands, 1 creature and 2-3 auras).

That said, in mirror matches between fair decks, I think the win percentage for even mulling once is like less than 25%.

Big One

Banned
Question: Is there a method to figuring out what mana you should run? Sometimes it's easy like for those Mono-Red decks floating around, but for the three color decks it seems like everyone has a different manabase. I'm trying to figure out how to mathmetically "get it" so to speak.

I sort of have a system where i basically get the amount of mana-symbols in my entire deck, as in counting them all up card-by-card. Then I just kind of "guess" how much mana I would need and of course include amounts in descending order.

I also have to take in consideration my mana curve. Like for example a card like Sylvan Caraytid is something I want toplay as soon as I can, so I'd make sure to add just slightly a bit extra Green mana to get to that faster. Though I obviously wouldn't ignore my other colors, but things like that I have to keep in mind.

But because most of my Green stuff is turn 2/3 cards, most of the mana devoted to it is scrylands.

Then you have to take in consideration the amount of White cards I use, most which are late-game cards. Because of this, Battlefield Forges seem like a nicer fit, that way I can get both Red and White mana as soon as I play it even if it gives me damage.

Grakl

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";133536074]I'm really close to just going ahead and saying Icy Blast is the best rare in the format. Crater's Claws is the only one I think is up there with it.[/QUOTE]
I would figure that Duneblast is the best rare.

Bonethug

I've read Twinflame many times and I don't get it. I mean, I understand what the card does, but what do you do with it in a Jeskai Ascendancy deck?
Twinflame lets you copy that Kiora's Follower (or any other creature capable of attacking) that you just drew because all you had was Sylvan Caryatids while you were going infinite and turn it into a hasty attacker for that turn that you are going off.

ElyrionX

Question: Is there a method to figuring out what mana you should run? Sometimes it's easy like for those Mono-Red decks floating around, but for the three color decks it seems like everyone has a different manabase. I'm trying to figure out how to mathmetically "get it" so to speak.

I sort of have a system where i basically get the amount of mana-symbols in my entire deck, as in counting them all up card-by-card. Then I just kind of "guess" how much mana I would need and of course include amounts in descending order.

I also have to take in consideration my mana curve. Like for example a card like Sylvan Caraytid is something I want toplay as soon as I can, so I'd make sure to add just slightly a bit extra Green mana to get to that faster. Though I obviously wouldn't ignore my other colors, but things like that I have to keep in mind.

But because most of my Green stuff is turn 2/3 cards, most of the mana devoted to it is scrylands.

Then you have to take in consideration the amount of White cards I use, most which are late-game cards. Because of this, Battlefield Forges seem like a nicer fit, that way I can get both Red and White mana as soon as I play it even if it gives me damage.

There is some article that touched upon the math of this but it's really more of an art than a science especially since the different types of lands, such as scrylands and painlands, have mechanics that could figure heavily into your lines of play and overall style.

Angry Grimace

There's no hard and fast rule when it comes to comes into play tapped lands. It depends a lot on your curve. A deck that expects to cast everything on curve is probably looking for less tap lands and more fast lands. A control deck that basically has no curve is likely to just load up on Temples for the scry effect.

y2dvd

It depends. I rather at least try to get a cheap drop or scry land to be able to go somewhere at the first few turns.

7-card hand: 6 lands, 1 spell - mull
6-card hand: 5 spells, no 1-2 drops, 1 land - mull
5-card hand: No lands, all my top-end costing cards - mull
4-card hand: No lands, all my top-end costing cards - mull
3-card hand: Finally, some cheap spells though no lands - screw it I'm keeping

If I had a scry land, I probably would've kept my 6-card hand. Funny thing was I was fortunate to draw some lands and keep the game competitive. It still hurt losing so many cards from the mulligan. That's the way it rolls sometimes.

What pricing site do yall use to do trades with? I usually use scg but a lot seems to go with tcg mid pricing.

Angry Grimace

I have a feeling Anger of the Gods is going to wreck some faces at the Pro Tour.

ElyrionX

Played against a Jeskai Ascendancy combo in Standard today. My hand (Jeskai Tempo) was bad as I had no creatures and only burn spells so he had time to find the pieces he needed. Not sure how viable it is but post-board, I'd think I have plenty of answers (Erase, Negate, Deflecting Palm).

Top Ten Rares for Khans Limited:

1. Crater's Claws
  2. Icy Blast
  3. Duneblast
  4. Sorin, Solemn Visitor
  5. End Hostilities
  6. Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
  7. Ashcloud Phoenix
  8. Ghostfire Blade
  9. Savage Knuckleblade
  10. Villainous Wealth

Honorable Mentions: White 3/4 fliers

The most important aspect of the Jeskai mirror? Winning the die roll and not mulliganing. I failed to both of these and got smashed.

This limited format is very strange. I still feel behind the curve, but then I watch streamers play it and they also look awkward. And any deck can have a haymaker to win from nowhere; it's kinda crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom