• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucario

Nissa got bought out up to 35 on tcgplayer, about to sell out at 40 on SCG.

Something's definitely up, even if it's just quietspeculation going bananas.

OnPoint

Mono-Green is gonna be real good, no doubt. Def glad I've largely moved out from Standard based on situations like this. She'll be 40 for like 3+ months now.

bigkrev

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";121274704]What's up is that mono-green just got all the tools.[/QUOTE]

And the top deck in the format still has Lifebane Zombie

ElyrionX

Got smashed again at Wednesday Night Magic today. Lost three rounds but at least I managed to win 2 games for a 2-6 record today (from 0-6 on Monday night which was where I played my first Standard game ever) so I'll take that at least. My third round was a mirror match against another Esper Control and I lost to 2 Mutavaults. I don't run any Mutavaults in my deck but I am heavily considering it now. Also thinking of running 1 or 2 Ashiok in my main deck. Finally, I am also thinking of switching to UW Control but that would definitely require 2-4 Mutavaults and I'm not sure if I want to buy that so close to rotation.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I been outta the game 2 long, brehs. What are the strong cards in grixis in the current standard cycle? I must control.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I been outta the game 2 long, brehs. What are the strong cards in grixis in the current standard cycle? I must control.

Basically nothing.

Standard right now is 1. Monoblack (with green splash) 2. U/W/x Control, 3. Rogue decks.

You can win with a lot of the rogue decks no problem though because monoblack and control aren't overpowering.

OnPoint

Basically nothing.

Standard right now is 1. Monoblack (with green splash) 2. U/W/x Control, 3. Rogue decks.

You can win with a lot of the rogue decks no problem though because monoblack and control aren't overpowering.

I would agree with 1 and 2. But I think 3 breaks down a lot more than you imply.

Jund Monsters is a pillar deck, Mono-Blue devotion is a common build, Junk Constellation is picking up popularity (at least until M15 kills it), and mono-Red aggro is kicking as well. I think they represent more than enough of the field and are regularly played enough to be considered more than a lump of "rogue decks"

Got smashed again at Wednesday Night Magic today. Lost three rounds but at least I managed to win 2 games for a 2-6 record today (from 0-6 on Monday night which was where I played my first Standard game ever) so I'll take that at least. My third round was a mirror match against another Esper Control and I lost to 2 Mutavaults. I don't run any Mutavaults in my deck but I am heavily considering it now. Also thinking of running 1 or 2 Ashiok in my main deck. Finally, I am also thinking of switching to UW Control but that would definitely require 2-4 Mutavaults and I'm not sure if I want to buy that so close to rotation.

It's a trap. It's more that Esper is a hard deck to play as your first Standard deck. You're going to lose more games from having uncastable cards and Mutavault than you will win them because you could block a couple times. UW gets 4 mutavaults because they play 2 colors and run garbage cards like Azorius Charm and Divination to get them to double white or blue on turn 4.

Ashiok is a good card, but it's a slightly different Esper build and you have to readjust the whole structure to play where you're tapping out most turns. Generally it means a harder black splash and some better cards mainboard. It might also mean you can't afford to run as many counter spells.

The reasons to run atypical cards like Ashiok and Brimaz are meta calls that benefit people who really understand the sequencing of plays in different matchups.

For instance, in a regular Esper mirror, you can tap out on turn 4 on the draw for Jace because your opponent isn't going to have anything major to threaten you on the crackback. But if your opponent is running cards like Brimaz or Ashiok or Memory Adept that see fringe play, it's a huge blowout that can lose you the game. You have to tap out to sphere or verdict within a few turns, which lets your opponent resolve another win condition like Elspeth or AEtherling.

Playing cards like Ashiok can also mean you can afford a harder black splash that gives you access to cards like Hero's Downfall that make you more dangerous against midrange and control matchups. But the rough manabase can also mean you have unwinnable game 1 matches against a deck like burn that doesn't care about your removal or planeswalkers.

Stormbreath Dragon
Desecration Demon
Hero's Downfall
Thoughtseize
Rakdos' Returm
Ashiok
Jace, Architect of Thought
Dissolve
Syncopate
Pack Rat
Nightveil Specter
Cyclonic Rift
Underworld Connections
Mizzium Mortars
Chandra Pyromaster
Liliana Vess
Aetherspouts
Slaughter Games
Sire of Insanity

A midrangey Grixis-control build is totally possible.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would agree with 1 and 2. But I think 3 breaks down a lot more than you imply.

Jund Monsters is a pillar deck, Mono-Blue devotion is a common build, Junk Constellation is picking up popularity (at least until M15 kills it), and mono-Red aggro is kicking as well. I think they represent more than enough of the field and are regularly played enough to be considered more than a lump of "rogue decks"

I know, but its easier to just list them as 1, 2, everything else simply because those decks are pretty clearly behind 1 and 2 in terms of popularity and power and those are the decks you NEED to have a sideboard and plan for. It starts getting difficult to rank Jund Monsters against Naya Aggro against Junk Midrange, etc. they're all viable decks, but its questionable which ones are better/worse/etc.

bigkrev

If I were creating a gauntlet of decks to test against, i would be testing against an Eidolon of Great Revel deck. Probably Boss Sligh because of how cheap it is to build, and how powerful it can be in th right hands (it's a very hard deck to play correctly).

Angry Grimace

If I were creating a gauntlet of decks to test against, i would be testing against an Eidolon of Great Revel deck. Probably Boss Sligh because of how cheap it is to build, and how powerful it can be in th right hands (it's a very hard deck to play correctly).

I'm going to play Eidolon in a hate bears Vintage deck for the lulz. Although, you could probably make a pretty good hatebears deck in Standard now that I think about it with Voice, Eidolons, Revoker, Spirit, etc.

rexor0717

The story of a planeswalker introduced to be killed by Garruk. It's a bit of a shame, since the concept of a soldier of Avacyn infused with metal from Esper, leading a team of cathars masked like him, is pretty neat, but I suppose that is the nature of these characters created to die.

I really enjoy the magic storylines, but I wouldn't want to read a book about it. It'd be cool if they made a custom roleplaying set that had some cool storylines you could play out. Idk how it'd really work, but a set designed specifically for an interactive storyline would be fun to play. It'd probably have to be sold as a complete set, so they'd never do it.

Jaeyden

I've had a lot of fun playing a janky Master of the Feast, Notion Thief, Whispering Madness deck with Thoughtsieze, Pack Rats, Strombreath Dragon, Aetherize, Brain Magot, Izzet Charm and Spike Jesters. Yeah, it's probably not super competitive but it's fun and can hold it's own. I don' play a ton of standard anyway so if I do it's gonna be a brew :)

Angry Grimace

The Holiday Cube they played today on MODO was not phantom, meaning a bunch of people walked off with Wastelands, Moxen and Lotus.
KuGsj.gif
Obviously going to be taken back.

Firemind

So that's why they had an extra maintenance.

I've had my first experience using the new client and it's... interesting. I managed to win a match without actually knowing how to attack. I had a Glen Elendra Archmage and I equipped a Jitte on it. At the beginning of combat phase, I clicked OK once and then somehow I went to my second main phase. In the next turn he just conceded. In the next game, I won with a Karn. So, yeah, hope I can attack in the next round!

ultron87

I wonder how much giving everyone that installs the new client a non-phantom Cube draft would ruin the economy.

It'd obviously wreck the Power 9 prices at least.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, fuck that.

I suggested on another forum that letting people keep card they got as an error would be unfair and some person blasted me for not liking it when other people get windfalls. Also, why does True-Name Nemesis cost more than the deck it comes in online? There's unlimited quantities of it and they never stop selling the commander decks.

Jaeyden

I suggested on another forum that letting people keep card they got as an error would be unfair and some person blasted me for not liking it when other people get windfalls. Also, why does True-Name Nemesis cost more than the deck it comes in online? There's unlimited quantities of it and they never stop selling the commander decks.

Who knows? I sold all my online cards to buy into Vintage and I'd be pissed if the prices dropped any further because of WTC fuck ups. The format is awesome, I played with these cards as a kid so the nostalgia factor is huge. The prices for P9 are fucking low and the set has driven duals so low anyone can afford them, that's awesome. Just don't bring the ceiling down...that's no good for everyone.

Playing legacy and trolling people with UW miracles. Every time I do a brainstorm effect with counterbalance, I write down a random number 1-4 on a slip of paper after I leave the top card on my library. Small, but just big enough that my opponent will notice if they're paying attention.

I've gotten a few people with that lol

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";121354273]Playing legacy and trolling people with UW miracles. Every time I do a brainstorm effect with counterbalance, I write down a random number 1-4 on a slip of paper after I leave the top card on my library. Small, but just big enough that my opponent will notice if they're paying attention.

I've gotten a few people with that lol[/QUOTE]
This is actually legit brilliant trolling since it's a real thing that can bait stuff.

Angry Grimace

I will say that drafts are taking a long fucking time to fire now that everyone is on V4 (meaning there aren't as many players) But prices haven't seemed to drop yet, either.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I will say that drafts are taking a long fucking time to fire now that everyone is on V4 (meaning there aren't as many players) But prices haven't seemed to drop yet, either.

That's because everybody assumes prices are going to drop, therefore they just won't unless something pushes the crowd over the edge. It's like a hot stock tip that everybody is aware of.

Negator

I was really salty after going 2-2 in my Melee Evo pools, so I decided to go to a M15 prerelease in Las Vegas. It felt rad walking into the store and going 4-0.

At least I'm good at one game :(

Angry Grimace

There's just something that feels unfair about Turn 1 Blightsteel Colossus.

That's wrong.

Sealed is the crazy cousin of mtg that tries to convince you that True Blood is just as good as Breaking Bad.

There's skill! You have to know when to withhold information! Proper deckbuilding recognition! Hold back your removal for bombs! Go second! Bait out removal! Sideboard into a new deck!

See! It's skill!

Angry Grimace

Sealed kind of is pack wars.

I did a Modern Masters draft on MODO and got my shit handed to me because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Firemind

That's funny. Yesterday I did a t1 Dark Ritual Liliana. She's surprisingly hard to kill. I picked ritual late since I wasn't sure if I'd be storm but it's been surprisingly useful to power out a Karn.

Sealed kind of is pack wars.
Nah, it's just straight up pack wars. I've played enough to know I'm reasonably good at MTG by now just from my results.

But I'm going to say that the biggest reason I got to grand finals at a 6-round sealed event was because my pool was unbeatable. Sure, I won a few game 2s faster than I would have because I restricted my opponent's information about my deck in a lot of game 1s, but the fact is that my deck was just better than anyone else's there by a significant margin. And that has nothing to do with skill.

5 on-color rares with two insane mythics.
a variety of Premium removal
fucking four 3/2s for 2-mana with an anthem effect
kird chieftan in GR
ETB removal that could be and WAS tutored for
fucking Stab Wound splashed off a goddamn dual land
half the cards in my deck were 2+-for-1s

ElyrionX

That is why I didn't go to prerelease and why I don't want to even try limited formats. It's not as if constructed games don't have enough of an RNG element in it already. Adding another giant layer of RNG on top of that just makes no sense. RNG is not fun.

Zocano

Draft is actually a beautiful format. I hate sealed with a passion but am fine with going to prereleases just to crack packs and hang out with friends.

If you've never done a draft, you are doing yourself a disservice.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";121392211]Sorry to break it to you, but there is no good at sealed :-([/QUOTE]

There is. It just that the sample size required to separate out the skilled players is an order of magnitude greater than any other format.

noquarter

That is why I didn't go to prerelease and why I don't want to even try limited formats. It's not as if constructed games don't have enough of an RNG element in it already. Adding another giant layer of RNG on top of that just makes no sense. RNG is not fun.

I used to think that, but Draft is actually pretty fun. It gives you a chance to try new things in the beginning, but after a set has been out for awhile, tests how good you understand the format. It has some randomness, but since you pick 2 cards for almost every pack, you still can form a deck that you like.

Highly recommend drafting.

ElyrionX

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";121291996]It's a trap. It's more that Esper is a hard deck to play as your first Standard deck. You're going to lose more games from having uncastable cards and Mutavault than you will win them because you could block a couple times. UW gets 4 mutavaults because they play 2 colors and run garbage cards like Azorius Charm and Divination to get them to double white or blue on turn 4.

Ashiok is a good card, but it's a slightly different Esper build and you have to readjust the whole structure to play where you're tapping out most turns. Generally it means a harder black splash and some better cards mainboard. It might also mean you can't afford to run as many counter spells.

The reasons to run atypical cards like Ashiok and Brimaz are meta calls that benefit people who really understand the sequencing of plays in different matchups.

For instance, in a regular Esper mirror, you can tap out on turn 4 on the draw for Jace because your opponent isn't going to have anything major to threaten you on the crackback. But if your opponent is running cards like Brimaz or Ashiok or Memory Adept that see fringe play, it's a huge blowout that can lose you the game. You have to tap out to sphere or verdict within a few turns, which lets your opponent resolve another win condition like Elspeth or AEtherling.

Playing cards like Ashiok can also mean you can afford a harder black splash that gives you access to cards like Hero's Downfall that make you more dangerous against midrange and control matchups. But the rough manabase can also mean you have unwinnable game 1 matches against a deck like burn that doesn't care about your removal or planeswalkers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the detailed response (as always). I'm going to try running one Ashiok and one less Thoughtseize in my main deck.

You make good points about Mutavault but my issue is that many decks seem to run it and it's hard finding an answer for it in my main deck. Ultimate Price does not work on it (correct me if I'm wrong here) and you can't wait to counter it either. Only Last Breath works and you would still need to have it in hand early in the game to avoid being smashed by Mutavaults. Game 2, I would board Pithing Needle and Doom Blade to deal with it but it's Game 1 that I'm concerned about, of course.

Thanks for the detailed response (as always). I'm going to try running one Ashiok and one less Thoughtseize in my main deck.

You make good points about Mutavault but my issue is that many decks seem to run it and it's hard finding an answer for it in my main deck. Ultimate Price does not work on it (correct me if I'm wrong here) and you can't wait to counter it either. Only Last Breath works and you would still need to have it in hand early in the game to avoid being smashed by Mutavaults. Game 2, I would board Pithing Needle and Doom Blade to deal with it but it's Game 1 that I'm concerned about, of course.

I don't think Thoughtseize is a card you want to cut for Ashiok. It's one of the few cards in your deck that clears the path for him. The safest cut is probably the 4th Jace if you just want a one-of. It's hard, because Ashiok really wants to be played on turn three but playing multiples of him means you need to make some hard cuts.

SCG Worchester was won by Ashiok in an Esper deck with a full set of thoughtseize. Fabiano's concession to the different style was cutting almost all the counter magic, a land and AEtherling. The result is a much quicker, almost tempo-control deck.

One way to beat Mutavaults is to use creatures in your sideboard, and they can create huge problems for opponents in a huge variety of matchups. But a lot of the sideboarding can seem counter-intuitive(heheheh) at first, so it might take some playing around with before you know what you like.

Draft is actually a beautiful format. I hate sealed with a passion but am fine with going to prereleases just to crack packs and hang out with friends.

If you've never done a draft, you are doing yourself a disservice.

Draft is real magic. Sealed is definitely casual fun times and should never be taken seriously.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Draft is by far my favorite way to actually play, its just too expensive for me to do consistently. But I absolutely love it because of how it forces you to actually evaluate every card in the set instead of just the top 20%

Draft is by far my favorite way to actually play, its just too expensive for me to do consistently. But I absolutely love it because of how it forces you to actually evaluate every card in the set instead of just the top 20%

The fact that I play constructed is just kind of a side-effect of trading the cards I win from drafts. Nothing's as fun as draft in magic.

Modern and Legacy I just proxy up decks. 'Cause fuck those prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom