• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Had a pretty nice 4 color deck going. It was B/G splashing white for Avacyn + Heliod's Pilgrim and red for Heat Ray + Lightning Strike. Obviously in a normal situation, splashing for Avacyn isn't a good idea, but I had 3 Verdant Havens, Cave of Koilos, and Evolving Wilds. Landed Avacyn nearly every game and she never got stuck in my hand. Heliod's Pilgrim was good for finding Verdant Havens or one of my 2 Stab Wounds. Also managed to cast In Garruk's Wake whenever I drew (which unfortunately was only thrice). Can't wait to draft this format.

I went 2-3 with my GW deck at prerelease, after choosing the green promo. In games where I was able to get my small creatures out and then curve directly into my big convoke spells, I did really well, including one awesome game where I curved perfectly and my opponent couldn't do a thing about it, with Midnight Guard in particular being a real all-star, but a lot of times, I found myself getting only small creatures or only getting big creatures that I couldn't cast. My pool simply did not have enough middle creatures in white and green; I went white for the early creatures and green for the late creatures, but the other colors were the ones to have the middle ones. Ajani Steadfast (my first planeswalker ever, BTW) was also awesome when I had a creature out, but, well, wasn't when the creature was destroyed.

Every single one of my opponents ran red, and had Generator Servant and Inferno Fist, which made for some repetitive matches. Inferno Fist is a surprisingly huge pain; I had Naturalizes in my sideboard, but the sacrifice effect diminishes Naturalize's usefulness. Two people ran RG, two ran RW, and one ran UR but I only saw two blue cards throughout the entire match. Still, I enjoyed it.

==White cards==
1x Oppressive Rays - Enchantment - W
1x Selfless Cathar - Creature - W
1x Soulmender - Creature - W
1x Raise the Alarm - Instant - 1W
2x Oreskos Swiftclaw - Creature - 1W
1x Midnight Guard - Creature - 2W
1x Ajani Steadfast - Planeswalker - 3W
1x Triplicate Spirits - Sorcery - 4WW
1x Seraph of the Masses - Creature - 5WW
= 10
==Green cards==
1x Gather Courage - Instant - G
1x Ranger's Guile - Instant - G
1x Runeclaw Bear - Creature - 1G
1x Satyr Wayfinder - Creature - 1G
1x Verdant Haven - Enchantment - 2G
1x Hunt the Weak - Sorcery - 3G
1x Shaman of Sprint - Creature - 3G
1x Nissa's Expedition - Sorcery - 4G
1x Phytotitan - Creature - 4GG
1x Siege Wurm - Creature - 5GG
1x Hornet Queen - Creature - 4GGG
= 11
==Artifact cards==
1x Ornithopter - Artifact Creature - 0
1x Rogue's Gloves - Equipment - 2
= 2
==Lands==
1x Evolving Wilds
9x Plains
7x Forest
= 17

Spectra Ward is a dumb card and I hate that it won me so many games today.

One of my opponents put Spectra Ward on Avacyn and there was nothing at all I could do about that.

If you want to know how broken Soul of Shandalar is, I didn't even know that it could hit a creature and a player at the same time and it still won a game literally by itself without attacking.

I drew two 2-drops that died immediately, 10 lands and Soul of Shandalar. That was my card selection that game.

Shandalar says fuck your devouring lights.

edit: I probably could have won the prerelease if I didn't have to mulligan so much, but I should note that my grand finals opponent had three Phytotitans and a Life's Legacy. Wow.

Went 3-1 in the regular prerelease, and 2-1-1 in a 2HG prerelease. In the regular, I played

10x Island
7x Mountain

1x Bronze Sable
1x Generator Servant
1x Phyrexian Revoker
1x Torch Fiend
2x Welkin Tern

1x Coral Barrier
2x Frost Lynx
1x Illusory Angel
1x Rummaging Goblin
1x Wall of Frost

1x Scrapyard Mongrel
2x Glacial Crasher
1x Soul of Shandalar

1x Hot Soup
1x Void Snare
1x Negate
1x Peel from Reality
1x Divination
1x Burning Anger
1x Jace's Ingenuity

I only dropped the match where my opponent played Soul of New Phyrexia to trump my Soul of Shandalar. Other than that I just simply crushed all day.

In the 2HG, I built a mostly-white deck with Avacyn, Soul of Theros, and Resolute Archangel, splashing red for a Burning Anger and a Heat Ray. My partner got to play a sick green-black deck with Hornet Queen, Ob-Nixilis, Indulgent Tormenter, Chord of Calling, and dome pretty solid ground beaters. We lost the first game to a Stormtide Leviathan because we were completely unable to draw removal, then smashed the next two, and decided to just split the fourth because we were hungry.

This sealed format plays in the sterotypical sealed format manner - bombs rule. The Souls may not be the Titans for constructed purposes, but they are just as warping in terms of limited. Soul of Shandalar singlehandedly won me game after game after game; it was gross.

All in all, it was pretty fun, but I'm glad I only signed up for two. Two was more than plenty for me; this isn't a sealed format that holds up in terms of replayability.

Arksy

ARGH! HELP MEEEEE!!!

Ok so I'm being roped into learning how to play this game...what are some good resources for learning not only the basics of how to play, but some more advanced tactics and strategies? I'm mainly looking for videos on how to play with lots of dialogue and explanations..

I do have Duels 2014 which I plan on playing...just looking for supplemental resources.

Merci d'avance !

ironmang

I really hope they ditch the promo and color picking for prerelease packs sometime soon. Made a lot more sense for RTR and GTC to play with the whole guild allegiance angle but it's getting too played out at this point. Kills my motivation to play in prereleases since the pool is usually either crazy with bombs being in color or feel-bad when you cant even use your promo. Hurts newer players too by suggesting that they should go into a limited event with a predetermined color(s) in their mind instead of being flexible.

ARGH! HELP MEEEEE!!!

Ok so I'm being roped into learning how to play this game...what are some good resources for learning not only the basics of how to play, but some more advanced tactics and strategies? I'm mainly looking for videos on how to play with lots of dialogue and explanations..

I do have Duels 2014 which I plan on playing...just looking for supplemental resources.

Merci d'avance !

Do you know what kind of format you'd be interested in? This gives a list of both sanctioned and casual. Sanctioned are usually the most popular with the exception being "Commander" being a huge portion of the playerbase nowadays.

Yeef

ARGH! HELP MEEEEE!!!

Merci d'avance !
Check out the "Level One" column on the main site for some discussion on tactics and strategy (Read them in ascending order by date). There's other tons of other articles on sites like Channel Fireball and Star City Games, but finding the ones geared towards new players is going to require a little more digging.

For the basics, playing Duels of the Planeswalkers should cover that, otherwise, Wizards has a series of videos on youtube for learning to play.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first time I've done only played in one of the PTG flights because I was undefeated and didn't want to spoil my luck. I kind of regret it now though. I traded the boosters I won to a friend for a pair of headphones: was a solid decision.

My ride turned up late so by the time we got there all the black packs had been taken I was really sad that I couldn't play with Indulgent Tormenter.

7x Forest
7x Swamp
2x Evolving Wilds
1x Llanowar Wastes

1x Elvish Mystic
1x Typhoid Rats
1x Runeclaw Bear
2x Child of Night
1x Witches Familiar
1x Necromancer's Assistant
1x Xathrid Slyblade
1x Netcaster Spider
1x Undergrowth Scavenger
1x Zof Shade
1x Living Totem
1x Grave Digger
1x Acursed Spirit
2x Charging Rhino
1x Indulgent Tormenter
1x Ancient Silverback
1x Phytotitan
1x Soul of Zendikar

1x Hunt the Weak
1x Gather Courage
1x Crippling Blight

... then I got an Indulgent Tormenter anyway! Still not sure how I went undefeated with the best removal I had being Crippling Blight.

With two evolving wilds and the wastes I probably could've splashed Blue for some mediocre removal but I figured strong creatures would win it in the long game and I guess I was right.

MjFrancis

soulmender.jpg

caustictar.jpg

How long does it take to win a game with these two cards on a stalled board? Too long. Especially when my opponent has a bunch of life gain too. I must be the fun police or something but I might stop building decks with attrition win-cons in them. My opponent's Goblin Kaboomist had twelve mines on the field when he died. Feast of the Fallen was triggering all game long. I was using Tyrant's Machine to tap his Dragon down every turn. "At your end step" became my catch phrase of the night. And Soul Mender built me up from 14 life all the way up to 30 before I finally won the game. We just finished our first game when the fifty minute clock ran out.

I had two more matches like that but not quite so long, but I've never been stuck on game one in a fifty minute best-of-three before.

bigkrev

I'll say this, while it never came up in any games I played, walking around and looking at other matches, the on-board complexity of this set is crazy compared to the recent blocks. Multiple Paragons and Kird Ape-types making printed P/T meaningless, multiple on-board abilites... it kinda looked fun

Check out the "Level One" column on the main site for some discussion on tactics and strategy (Read them in ascending order by date).
Ehhh, I don't know. I've been reading it, and I've found it oddly not to be newbie friendly. They keep on using odd examples from Legacy, and while I can't recall any particular examples, many times the advice that they hammer in is stuff that is not really that relevant most of the time.

An-Det

Weren't we supposed to get B/R list update tonight?

They changed the timing again, it'll be in the morning at some point. Twitter says 11 am, but not sure what time zone that's referring to.

If a B&R change is posted and no one can see it because the new site is fucking awful, does it really count?

bigkrev

They changed the timing again, it'll be in the morning at some point. Twitter says 11 am, but not sure what time zone that's referring to.

If a B&R change is posted and no one can see it because the new site is fucking awful, does it really count?

Ugh, hoped they would screw up the important stuff

I don't think there are any changes (unless they want to unban something in modern or legacy, or make an EDH move), but this sucks

The Adder

Banned
So, opinions on my current BUG deck:

Creatures

Sigiled Starfish x2
Thasa, God of the Sea x1
Axebane Guardian x3
Heroes Bane x1
Hydra Broodmaster x2
Horizon Chimera x2
Kiora's Follower x3
Kruphix, God of Horizons x2
Prophet of Kruphix x2

Instants

Negate x2
Syncopate x2
Hero's Downfall x3
Simic Charm x2

Sorcery

Thoughtseize x2

Equipment

Bident of Thassa x1

Enchantment

Dictate of Kruphix x1

Planeswalkers

Liliana Vess x1
Nissa, Worldwaker x1
Kiora, the Crashing Wave x2

Land

Forest x8
Island x6
Swamp x4
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Temple of Mystery x1

---

As you may be able to tell, this decks just been kind of Frankensteined together over time, but it has a bunch of good small interactions between the cards. The only thing it does really well is ramp and throw out things that are hard to deal with, but it does a good job defending itself so it can do that.

Kacar

Went 2-2 at both prerealeases I went to. Did ok, didnt make many mistakes but I felt my pools were subpar.

Also and sorry if its been asked already but what midlevel priced theros cards do you think would be worth getting before rotation? generally do all the prices go up at a rotation? I myself have never been around and playing during one. Thanks.

ElyrionX

Went to my first event today; Monday Night Magic at a LGS. Standard constructed. I played my Esper Control and went 0-6 in 3 rounds. First round lost to a Mono Blue Devotion where I made the mistake of conceding the second match without realizing that his Thassa could not attack me the next round due to insufficient devotion. Second round lost to a BWG deck where I had no answer against Obzedat Ghost Council and Erebo's Whip. Third round lost to a quad-color deck who used Mistcutter Hydra and another hydra (starts with 4 +1/+1 tokens and doubles it each time it attacks) to rampage me to death.

It was fun but clearly, I still have a lot to learn. Made a lot of mistakes and was generally very sloppy throughout. People were nice though and virtually all were willing to teach and advise and were patient after I said this was my first time ever playing Standard.

No changes to the Banned & Restricted list, for those wondering.

EDIT: New fun game
20percentcrueler said: new fun game: go to gatherer and click random card until you get a black card. That is your death metal name. I got Chains of Mephistopheles for mine.

An activity for all you Question Marks. Report your results in the notes.

My death metal band is Strands of Night.

Massacre Wurm for me.

ultron87

"Weed Strangle", Death Metal Jam Band. Groovy.

Oloro and Cataclysm are banned in Duel Commander if that is a format someone partakes in.

I'm kind of unhappy with my current go to LGS for how they split the prize packs during the prerelease this weekend. They did it 25 to first, 15 to second, and 3 to 3-4, 2 to 5-8, and 1 to 9-16. So, with five rounds and no top 8 cut if you lost a single match you were automatically fighting it out for the rest of the day for the difference of a single pack. That steep of a dropoff seems a little extreme for how high variance a game of Magic is, especially sealed.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, I've been gone for 2 weeks, did MODO explode while I was gone?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
P9 swiftly rose in price when they announced that VMA drafts were ending, then they swiftly tanked the day after when they decided to keep drafting it until October.

I was reading an article about this on some site where they were like, "but VMA drafts are so fun!!" They must have been playing a different VMA than I am, where the good cards rarely show up and you just lose to Battle Screech and Beetleback Chief a lot.

Jaeyden

I was reading an article about this on some site where they were like, "but VMA drafts are so fun!!" They must have been playing a different VMA than I am, where the good cards rarely show up and you just lose to Battle Screech and Beetleback Chief a lot.

Three weeks of VMA drafts was all I needed. I get it that it's expensive and maybe lot's of people play for the thrill of P9. Even when you do pull some power and you're winning enough to keep going or keep entry fee's low it gets boring. There were so many awesome cards printed at rare, mythic, special but it felt like I just kept seeing the same stuff over and over. I did three sealed events and drafted 30+ times and never saw (in my pool, packs passed, or cards played by opponents) at least 2/3 if not 3/4 of the rares, mythics and special in this set. It was fun but I don't want to draft that shit for a long time.

Angry Grimace

Just give us back cube drafts kthx

PS. RIP MODO 2002-2014

I think cube drafts are coming back on Wednesday too, right?

Three weeks of VMA drafts was all I needed. I get it that it's expensive and maybe lot's of people play for the thrill of P9. Even when you do pull some power and you're winning enough to keep going or keep entry fee's low it gets boring. There were so many awesome cards printed at rare, mythic, special but it felt like I just kept seeing the same stuff over and over. I did three sealed events and drafted 30+ times and never saw (in my pool, packs passed, or cards played by opponents) at least 2/3 if not 3/4 of the rares, mythics and special in this set. It was fun but I don't want to draft that shit for a long time.

Modern Masters drafts are coming back on Wedensday, and cost exactly the same. I can't really envision a reason why I'd pick a VMA draft over MMA, regardless of what the expected value actually is with VMA vs. MMA.

ironmang

Is there going to be some huge update to V4 that fixes many complaints or are they just taking off our floaties and kicking us into the deep end under the diving board?

Angry Grimace

Is there going to be some huge update to V4 that fixes many complaints or are they just taking off our floaties and kicking us into the deep end under the diving board?

I think it already happened.

Zocano

I feel like I need to pick up Nissa now before she goes up anymore in price.

Also eagerly awaiting Garruk to drop like a rock.

Angry Grimace

I feel like I need to pick up Nissa now before she goes up anymore in price.

Also eagerly awaiting Garruk to drop like a rock.

Is Nissa actually that good? She doesn't seem like insane to me.

Jaeyden

I think cube drafts are coming back on Wednesday too, right?

Modern Masters drafts are coming back on Wedensday, and cost exactly the same. I can't really envision a reason why I'd pick a VMA draft over MMA, regardless of what the expected value actually is with VMA vs. MMA.

I'd MMA in a heartbeat. Fuck the EV, there was just so much more you could brew in MMA draft. It's definitely one of the best draft formats ever.

Angry Grimace

I'd MMA in a heartbeat. Fuck the EV, there was just so much more you could brew in MMA draft. It's definitely one of the best draft formats ever.

At the same time, MMA is still expensive as hell and not necessarily loaded with value either. 25 tix for an online draft is a lot. Sure, you could pull a Confidant, Clique or Goyf, but the odds are you won't.

Jaeyden

The last update was pretty good. I've been playing beta exclusively now for the last few weeks and personally I don't want to go back. I get it, everyone will have a reason why this is worse than that, but whatever... I fucking like it. There are more reasons for me to be on this version than there are for me on the old one.

Jaeyden

At the same time, MMA is still expensive as hell and not necessarily loaded with value either. 25 tix for an online draft is a lot. Sure, you could pull a Confidant, Clique or Goyf, but the odds are you won't.

Fair enough. It's still more fun IMO. Goyf, Clique and Confidant at 1-9 odds is better than P9 at 1-53 odds for sure IF you're just playing for value. If not then I don't know, my guess is that VMA value is right now lower than an MMA value...but like I said, I'm guessing and it's based on me looking at the top cards and value on the bots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom