• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

An-Det

Modern Masters drafts are coming back on Wedensday, and cost exactly the same. I can't really envision a reason why I'd pick a VMA draft over MMA, regardless of what the expected value actually is with VMA vs. MMA.

Awesome, MMA was a blast, it's always welcome back. How long is it lasting?

Fair enough. It's still more fun IMO. Goyf, Clique and Confidant at 1-9 odds is better than P9 at 1-53 odds for sure IF you're just playing for value. If not then I don't know, my guess is that VMA value is right now lower than an MMA value...but like I said, I'm guessing and it's based on me looking at the top cards and value on the bots.

Agreed. If you're going to pay $25 to draft, MMA is orders of magnitude more fun to play than VMA. VMA is just...awful.

Zocano

I wish they'd do Phantom Modern Masters drafts. If they were reasonably priced Id be so down for that.

phantom as in you don't keep the cards, you just play the draft?

I'd be down for that. I haven't done many draft formats but it was definitely the most varied one that I've done (or it felt the most varied because they shoved in so many different archetypes cause they could).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Scuttling Doom Engine is the best Elspeth killer that isn't Heliod.

Scuttling Doom Engine is the best Elspeth killer that isn't Heliod.

ZDzg8uW.png

Zocano

Oh... huh. Elspeth "died".

I wish they would put the entirety of the lore and storylines in the cards |: I really like the lore, as pulpy as it is, but I don't care for reading trashy books. Too bad all they want to do is sell books to the tiny audience who are willing to keep buying them. Same thing happened with Venser and New Phyrexia's victory. Sort of found it on accident. Ah well.

I liked the little storylines you piece together through the cards and Godsend's flavor text (which is fucking awesome) works because of the context you need having gone through the block. I just wish they would actually finish the storylines within the cards and not attempt to force the few who care to read books.

edit: Also same thing happened with Dragon's Maze where I just ended the block feeling like wait but what the fuck happened with everything ever. Suppose it's tucked away in some book I'll never want to read.

edit edit: I'm too fucking nerdy for my own good and shouldn't totally get into MTG lore but I do. Why.jpg

noquarter

I agree, wish they would put story on the token cards. Just put a brief description, like they used to for the different block keywords, but describe what the fuck is going on.

bigkrev

I still have a shelfs-worth of the books in my closet- everything from Urza's block to Time Spiral. I'm willing to bet those books are awful if you picked them up today (I have an inability to read anything other than nonfiction these days so I couldn't go back even if I wanted to), but I loved most of them as a kid.

My 2 favorite ones were Nemesis and Prophecy. I probably read Nemesis 10 times as a kid. But man, you need to read the Amazon reviews from 2000 when Prophecy came out. I guess before reddit existed, Amazon reviews were where you went to bitch about characters in the Magic storyline?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
All I'm going to say about Magic novels is that when I came back I turned the geek up to 11 and bought several from a used book joint. I knew they were going to be bad, but I was hoping for pulpy fantasy bad, not bad bad. When I got to the Ravnica novel and it was a police procedural with a snarky angel sidekick, I just sort of reevaluated how I spent my free time and gave them to a new player at my LCS. I like to think the books are still circulating down there among new players, like an initiation rite of sorts.

gerg

I distinctly remember enjoying the Onslaught-saga books, reading all three of them back when they came with the Fat Packs. Not much literature interested me, but for some reason those did.

Castcoder

Banned
I quickly made a combination of M14/M15 Sliver Cards, since I typically play a Sliver deck. I came up with this, but since I've been playing for only a year now it's going to be a rough build that simply is to include old Slivers with new Slivers (with little to no strategy behind it). I basically want some help building a decent Sliver deck, so I'm open to some advice. I believe the deck needs more mana mainly. Go easy on me. I don't really follow the meta, I play for fun with my friends at college.

12 NEW SLIVERS
  • 2X BLU Diffusion Sliver- Target must pay 2 mana to use a spell/ability
  • 2X WHT Constricting Sliver - "When this creature enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature an opponent controls until this creature leaves the battlefield."
  • 2X RED Belligerent Sliver - Slivers can only be blocked by 2 or more creatures.
  • 2X GRN Venom Sliver - Slivers have Deathtouch
  • 1X ALL Sliver Hivelord - Slivers are Indestructible

23 OLD SLIVERS
  • 3X RED Battle Sliver - Slivers gain +2/+0
  • 1X WHT Bonescy. Sliver - Double Strike
  • 3X GRN Manaweft Sliver - Tap Slivers for mana
  • 2X GRN Megantic Sliver - Slivers gain +3/+3
  • 4X GRN Predatory Sliver - Slivers gain +1/+1
  • 4X WHT Steelform Sliver - +0/+1
  • 4X RED Thorncast. Sliver - Whenever Slivers attack, it deals 1 damage to target creature or player. (Is Leeching Sliver better/similar/worse?)

1 Planeswalker
  • 1X Garruk, Caller of Beasts

15 LANDS (Should probably increase this)

• 4 Red
  • 2 White
  • 2 Green
  • 2 Black
  • 1 Blue
  • 4 Sliver Hive/Cavern of Souls

9 SPELLS
  • 1 Creeping Renaissance
  • 4 Hive Stirrings
  • 4 Mizzium Mortars

I'm looking for suggestions on improving this. Haven't played since early May, plus I've been sucked in by Hearthstone this summer. I wanted to get ready for M15 before Fall.

Yeef

Oh... huh. Elspeth "died".

I wish they would put the entirety of the lore and storylines in the cards |: I really like the lore, as pulpy as it is, but I don't care for reading trashy books. Too bad all they want to do is sell books to the tiny audience who are willing to keep buying them. Same thing happened with Venser and New Phyrexia's victory. Sort of found it on accident. Ah well.

I liked the little storylines you piece together through the cards and Godsend's flavor text (which is fucking awesome) works because of the context you need having gone through the block. I just wish they would actually finish the storylines within the cards and not attempt to force the few who care to read books.

edit: Also same thing happened with Dragon's Maze where I just ended the block feeling like wait but what the fuck happened with everything ever. Suppose it's tucked away in some book I'll never want to read.

edit edit: I'm too fucking nerdy for my own good and shouldn't totally get into MTG lore but I do. Why.jpg
Actually, they posted it all on the website, the Journey into Nyx trailer makes it fairly overt that Elspeth dies and a fair amount of the story is on the cards, if you pay close enough attention (Hall of Triumph is a memorial to Elspeth). They've said that, going forward, they're going to try to make sure the big story moments are easily found by people who don't want to read the books.

ultron87

If you only have one Hivelord you'll want something else to protect all your Slivers from their natural enemy, the board sweeper. Best bets in Standard right now are Golgari Charm to regen everything, Boros Charm to give everything indestructible, or Rootborn Defenses to give everything indestructible plus maybe add a token.

Rootborn might actually be best in this case since it only requires white mana instead of two specific colors.

Castcoder

Banned
This is what I revised it to. Couldn't really decide on the spells, so I used two of each that were suggested for now.

8 NEW SLIVERS
  • 2 Diffusion Sliver
  • 1 Constricting Sliver
  • 2 Belligerent Sliver
  • 2 Venom Sliver
  • 1 Sliver Hivelord

14 OLD SLIVERS
  • 2 Battle Sliver
  • 1 Bonescy. Sliver
  • 2 Manaweft Sliver
  • 1 Megantic Sliver
  • 2 Predatory Sliver
  • 2 Steelform Sliver
  • 2 Thorncaster Sliver
  • 2 Galerider Sliver

1 PLANESWALKER
  • 1 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
24 LANDS
  • 5 Red
  • 4 White
  • 4 Green
  • 4 Black
  • 3 Blue
  • 4 Sliver Hive/Cavern of Souls

13 SPELLS
  • 1 Creeping Renaissance
  • 2 Hive Stirrings
  • 4 Mizzium Mortars
  • 2 Golgari Charm
  • 2 Rootborn Defenses
  • 2 Boros Charm

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
M14 packs are selling for $2 online now, so you can draft for $8, which I guess isn't a bad way to spend a couple hours.

You can draft Theros block for less than 10.

VMA drafts and upcoming MMA drafts have pushed sealed prices for those formats way down off the bots, the current price for the sealed product is 7.49 tickets for all three assuming zero discounts.

Zocano

Actually, they posted it all on the website, the Journey into Nyx trailer makes it fairly overt that Elspeth dies and a fair amount of the story is on the cards, if you pay close enough attention (Hall of Triumph is a memorial to Elspeth). They've said that, going forward, they're going to try to make sure the big story moments are easily found by people who don't want to read the books.

Mmm, yah, I've seen that media, but my main desire is for *all* of these story beats to be sprinkled through the cards themselves. What I would love for most is a Dark-Souls style storytelling. Something very subtle but with enough details here and there to be able to piece it all together. Things like Heliod's betrayal (I looked a little but couldn't find anything even remotely hinting at this) are not at all represented at the cards. This really is just a nitpick I have with their approach to the storytelling. I would prefer they keep the major storylines at least discoverable within the card sets themselves.

Angry Grimace

I'm really in annoying place with what I want to do. I have *most* of the cards for competitive Vintage play online (e.g. a non-Dredge vintage deck), but I don't want to spend shitloads of money on fetches if they're going to get reprinted. I'm also concerned that buying into fetches means I'd be tempted to buy into Modern as well, which is even more money down the hole.

Mmm, yah, I've seen that media, but my main desire is for *all* of these story beats to be sprinkled through the cards themselves. What I would love for most is a Dark-Souls style storytelling. Something very subtle but with enough details here and there to be able to piece it all together. Things like Heliod's betrayal (I looked a little but couldn't find anything even remotely hinting at this) are not at all represented at the cards. This really is just a nitpick I have with their approach to the storytelling. I would prefer they keep the major storylines at least discoverable within the card sets themselves.

The argument against that is that it leaves less room for general world building, lessens the frequency of standalone flavor text, and can often result in very odd flavor, as seen in Tempest (several of the cards could be placed one after another to make a story). Plus, there is an argument to make that twists like Heliod killing Elspeth are better experienced as a guaranteed last thing you'll see in the story, as opposed to potentially seeing it before seeing the card where Elspeth kills Xenagos. By nature, trading cards cannot be expected to be seen in a particular order, making it so that linear storytelling is not suited to it.

Lucario

Huh.

There's nothing else really that good in the set at Mythic. I picked up 3 at 15ish cause I figured she'd at least hold value because of that, like Kiora did.

Same, but a playset. I'd sell but I really want to brew with her. Even for a 5-mana planeswalker, she does some pretty insane things.

This is what I revised it to. Couldn't really decide on the spells, so I used two of each that were suggested for now.

Here's how I'd build a sliver deck mainboard:

Creatures(30):
  • 4 Galerider Sliver
  • 4 Manaweft Sliver
  • 4 Sentinel Sliver
  • 4 Predatory Sliver
  • 2 Venom Sliver
  • 1 Diffusion Sliver
  • 4 Blur Sliver
  • 1 Belligerent Sliver
  • 1 Syphon Sliver
  • 1 Bonescythe Sliver
  • 4 Sliver Hivelord

Spells(7):
  • 4 Chord of Calling
  • 2 Banishing Light
  • 1 Obelisk of Urd

Land(23):
  • 3 Mutavault
  • 4 Sliver Hive
  • 4 Mana Confluence
  • 3 Battlefield Forge
  • 2 Breeding Pool
  • 1 Yavimaya Coast
  • 2 Steam Vents
  • 4 Temple Garden

Sideboard(15):
  • 3 Diffusion Sliver
  • 1 Syphon Sliver
  • 2 Belligerent Sliver
  • 2 Banishing Light
  • 2 Rakdos' Return
  • 1 Pithing Needle
  • 4 Boros Charm

The most important Slivers are Manaweft, Blur, Sentinel and Hivelord. These are the cards that make Slivers tick and the reason to play them over other aggro decks. It's a synergy deck so it makes better use of Chord than most other decks but at the same time is more vulnerable to targeted and sweeping removal.

ElyrionX

Thinking of picking up a playset of Jace Living Guildpact now that prices are still low in anticipation of AoT rotating out. Good idea or not?

OnPoint

Thinking of picking up a playset of Jace Living Guildpact now that prices are still low in anticipation of AoT rotating out. Good idea or not?

Been considering it myself, honestly. There's definitely a chance he won't see play, but there's a chance he will explode to $20 - $30 overnight too.

Does chord of calling a genesis hydra even work? Surely not right

Well, you could bring out a Genesis Hydra with Chord of Calling, but the X value of Genesis Hydra will be zero, so it will be a 0/0 that presumably dies immediately and you don't get any other cards from your library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom