• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Care to elaborate?

I was playing some Wizards employee on MODO in the Vintage room and drew Black Lotus, Mox, Tinker. The opponent was playing MUD so I knew he had zero Force of Wills. He conceded before he even got a turn. The next game, I drew almost the same hand.

OnPoint

I was playing some Wizards employee on MODO in the Vintage room and drew Black Lotus, Mox, Tinker. The opponent was playing MUD so I knew he had zero Force of Wills. He conceded before he even got a turn. The next game, I drew almost the same hand.
Lol Christ that sounds fun

ultron87

Sealed would be better if everyone got pools that were equally mediocre and had to make the best of it, but it also isn't a random win lottery. Unless Pack Rat is in the format.

Reid Duke and Owen Turtenwald = casual fun time players

You can be the best in the world at Hungry Hungry Hippos, but that doesn't make Hungry Hungry Hippos a complicated game.

If you get some enjoyment out of being the 2014 coinflip champion, more power to you.

Name-dropping a good player isn't going to impress me. Justin Wong can probably beat me in Clayfighter or Rise of the Robots, but that's not going to convince anyone to run them at EVO.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Lol Christ that sounds fun

I just played another game where I got hammered by Mind's Desire for 6 after which he drew Tendrils of Agony.

I eventually figured out he was playing Force-less Storm and won the next two games by Time Vault - Voltaic Key (which is such a BS hilarious combo, btw).

I'm playing a Tendrils deck, but I'm still really bad and never actually assemble the tendrils combo.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";121454590]You can be the best in the world at Hungry Hungry Hippos, but that doesn't make Hungry Hungry Hippos a complicated game.

If you get some enjoyment out of being the 2014 coinflip champion, more power to you.

Name-dropping a good player isn't going to impress me. Justin Wong can probably beat me in Clayfighter or Rise of the Robots, but that's not going to convince anyone to run them at EVO.[/QUOTE]
Curious, do you think that having seeded packs in Sealed helps reduce the variance in your lottery ticket?

Angry Grimace

Hilarious dude in a Vintage game screaming at me to repeatedly "hurry up!" I've used 2 minutes in the entire match more than him because my hand has 2 Dark Ritual and a Lotus and I need to do the math to count up my mana.
KuGsj.gif
MODO, ladies and gentlemen.

Curious, do you think that having seeded packs in Sealed helps reduce the variance in your lottery ticket?

Well, it just does, right? If one pack is 75% green cards or whatever, you have a better chance of having a playable green pool.

Not that I'm in favor or against seed packs or promos, though. Like I said, Sealed is a casual event. It's like a party for Magic fans. I wouldn't care if they put planeswalkers in every sealed pool or random cards from old sets like they did in Zendikar.

Hell, I wouldn't be mad if they let you use hero cards or whatever those things were from the Theros block prereleases. Spice it up, have fun.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";121454590]You can be the best in the world at Hungry Hungry Hippos, but that doesn't make Hungry Hungry Hippos a complicated game.

Name-dropping a good player isn't going to impress me. Justin Wong can probably beat me in Clayfighter or Rise of the Robots, but that's not going to convince anyone to run them at EVO.[/QUOTE]

Agreed so much, nearly every game in the Journey and M15 prereleases for me were determined by whoever gets to their mythic first (in the case of JOU I had none, and one of my opponents had two Master of Waves). Fun casual events.

Angry Grimace

Decided to play a Modern Masters draft and got creamed because I have no idea what I'm doing, so I did a Vintage Masters draft with the packs I won from my draft the other day where I pulled a Force of Will. Had the exact same draft, down to pulling the same archetype (R/W tokens) and pulling a Force of Will in the third pack. Dat value.

I'm just holding Forces now since I can't imagine they'll crash to a level I'll feel bad about, and its more likely they'll just go up after VMA goes away.

I just had a thought. On Mothership articles and such, they've mentioned that they've been looking into more stuff for red to do in multiplayer (3+) games, and I realized an interesting space could be red cards that help opponents. By which I mean giving red the ability to help another player deal with a player that the red player can't handle. I'm thinking of stuff like this:

Power of Friendship - R
Sorcery
As an additional cost, skip your next turn.
Target opponent gets another turn after his or her next turn.
"Only you can win against this foe! I'll leave everything in your hands!"

Or as a more basic example:

Spear Toss - R
Instant
Target creature gets +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn.
If you don't control that creature, it instead gets +3/+0 and first strike until end of turn.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";121354273]Playing legacy and trolling people with UW miracles. Every time I do a brainstorm effect with counterbalance, I write down a random number 1-4 on a slip of paper after I leave the top card on my library. Small, but just big enough that my opponent will notice if they're paying attention.

I've gotten a few people with that lol[/QUOTE]
What are they expecting?

kirblar

It's funny how good a presence he is as a community person, but is really someone you don't actually want in tournaments.

Negator

Welp. I spent $10 and now have a boss sligh deck ready to go for tomorrow. Let's see what happens after a 6 month hiatus.

bigkrev

Welp. I spent $10 and now have a boss sligh deck ready to go for tomorrow. Let's see what happens after a 6 month hiatus.

Best tip- take your time. You have a billion decisions each turn.

It's funny how good a presence he is as a community person, but is really someone you don't actually want in tournaments.

I was watching MagicTV last week where they covered his cheating. The description of the Legacy stalling (ie, not ever cracking a fetch land so he had reason to stall and "think" in response to everything, never using a Wasteland so he always could stall when a manland attacked) was great.

He's a hell of a deck builder though. Can't take that away from him

Firemind

I'm not. Aggro is hard to pilot for me. One of my weaknesses is I'm not sure when I should mulligan dodgy hands. There's always this fear that the next hand will be even worse.

In related news, random shuffler is still random. Mulligan twice in successive games: zero lands and one land both times. Same old, same old. At least I lost to a guy with two moxes and a billion mana elves. And I got a MM pack out of it. Could be worse.

vikki

I've been out of MTG since the last Alara block, I do miss playing in large groups.

Anyway, I was watching storage wars because my father-in-law had the tv on A&E or something the other day. I was a bit annoyed by the show, even though I know the show is completely contrived, because they had a segment on some found MtG cards. I this segment, they find a box and a binder with Magic cards in it. Now what you can see of the cards in the binder and in the box, they are all from Timespiral. Now, that series is from late 2006. All cards visible look to be from timespiral, and there is only a binder and a shoebox full of cards. Seeing as how I played and collected over a period of three years, I have 6 large boxes full of cards, I know a shoebox is a very tiny collection when it comes to MtG. Now to the part that I found annoying, when the dudes brought this shit collection to the dealer and the dealer pretty told them it was worthless, out from a secret pocket in the binder comes a Black Lotus. So this tiny ass collection of 99% cards from 2006 just happens to contain the rarest MtG card? Yeah, that's bullshit.

Now, I know it's my own fault for paying attention to this show, and I know the show doesn't reflect reality accurately, and I know they do things like I just explained to make the show interesting, but it just annoyed me. I guess I think it is a little funny that the dealer didn't seem all that surprised that the guys just happened to pull out a black lotus.

bigkrev

I've been out of MTG since the last Alara block, I do miss playing in large groups.

Anyway, I was watching storage wars because my father-in-law had the tv on A&E or something the other day. I was a bit annoyed by the show, even though I know the show is completely contrived, because they had a segment on some found MtG cards. I this segment, they find a box and a binder with Magic cards in it. Now what you can see of the cards in the binder and in the box, they are all from Timespiral. Now, that series is from late 2006. All cards visible look to be from timespiral, and there is only a binder and a shoebox full of cards. Seeing as how I played and collected over a period of three years, I have 6 large boxes full of cards, I know a shoebox is a very tiny collection when it comes to MtG. Now to the part that I found annoying, when the dudes brought this shit collection to the dealer and the dealer pretty told them it was worthless, out from a secret pocket in the binder comes a Black Lotus. So this tiny ass collection of 99% cards from 2006 just happens to contain the rarest MtG card? Yeah, that's bullshit.

Now, I know it's my own fault for paying attention to this show, and I know the show doesn't reflect reality accurately, and I know they do things like I just explained to make the show interesting, but it just annoyed me. I guess I think it is a little funny that the dealer didn't seem all that surprised that the guys just happened to pull out a black lotus.

ShuffleandCut (the store that bought them) actually posted a response
https://www.facebook.com/Shuffleand...omment_id=23779348&offset=0&total_comments=15

ugh Gotbeit Michael Turczak, not sure if you looked very closely but the Pearl and Twister were ce and the lotus was extremely played. At the time of filming the lotus in that condition was selling for 800-850 on ebay and the ce's were 40-60 ea which is what I based my offer at. I thought starting an offer of 600 for 900-950 in cards is pretty fair, what do you think would be a fair amount to offer for those cards?
There was quite of bit of information given about the cards at the time of filming that clearly didn't make editing, including the condition, the history behind Collector's edition as well as the retail and wholesale (ebay) value of the times. The offer made was made with full intention of them haggling the price I was to pay them for the cards as per instructions from the producer. Clearly they didn't haggle as much as I had expected but I still feel the offer was fair considering that is what most local game stores would offer if these cards were brought into most stores that carry MTG singles. I could have easily offered much more and look like an amazing dealer but what would happen when someone else came to my business and expected that same value, wouldn't we as a company look much worst in that scenario to that person who walks in the store expecting such a high value?

ElyrionX

At a game yesterday, I activated Jace AoT's +1 ability and the opponent casted a Hero's Downfall to take him out. I asked whether the effect of Jace's ability still stood and from my understanding of the stack, it should not. But he said it did because I had priority. I went to read up on priority and I still have no idea what happened. If Hero's Downfall was casted after I used Jace's +1, shouldn't Jace be taken out and hence no effect occurs?

kirblar

At a game yesterday, I activated Jace AoT's +1 ability and the opponent casted a Hero's Downfall to take him out. I asked whether the effect of Jace's ability still stood and from my understanding of the stack, it should not. But he said it did because I had priority. I went to read up on priority and I still have no idea what happened. If Hero's Downfall was casted after I used Jace's +1, shouldn't Jace be taken out and hence no effect occurs?
Once you fire an ability off, its like a bullet. It's going to work unless something screws with it.

He shouldn't have done it in response, he gained nothing.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Once an ability is activated, killing the creature (or in this case PW) doesn't affect that ability, it still happens. Jace still dies, but the ability still goes on the stack.

OnPoint

I would think since the Jace is gone, the ability can't trigger on his turn. That's how it always seemed to work for me in every situation I've ever played/seen it played in. Am I wrong? Would the +1 still trigger on his opponent's attack phase if Jace is gone?

Priority isn't what's relevant here. Whenever a player activates an ability of a permanent, the ability still happens even if the permanent is removed. You'll often hear of people using the analogy of a "grenade;" it doesn't matter if you kill the guy who threw the grenade, it's still going to go off.

Jace is a little awkward because he sets up what we call a "delayed" effect; that is, the thing that he does isn't relevant until long after your turn is done. But he doesn't still have to be there; the fact that he activated the effect means that it's still going to happen. He doesn't need to be around at the time the creatures attack for them to lose power.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes, it's not tied to Jace. It's sort of a temporary static effect that just hovers over the opponent until your next turn,,like Detain.

noquarter

Yeah, once an effect goes on the stack, that effect will happen. Usually in response, you will try to protect the target of the effect or change the effect. It gets really confusing when you have to pay attention to where a sacrifice is on a card.

For example (I might mess this up), if a card say Tap, Sacrifice ____ : Gain 10 billion life. As soon as you tap and sacrifice, I can't really stop it with anything but a card that stops activated abilities. You have activated that, it goes on the stack.

Now, if it says Tap: Sacrifice ______ , then gain 10 billion life. I can remove that card from the game in response, and you won't gain the life.

Where priority really comes in is during the phases. If it is your turn, you will have priority first during every phase, then pass priority to your opponent, will probably do nothing, then you move on. An example of this mattering is something like:

Your Main Phase one, you tap mana then bring out Jace. Your opponent doesn't respond, priority is now your again, so you can use his ability if you want and your opponent can't stop you. But say you don't, so it goes to and you have nothing else to do in Main Phase one, you have now passed priority to your opponent. During this time your opponent chooses to use Hero's Downfall on Jace, you can respond, but only at instant speed, meaning you can't use the ability now and put it on the stack, Since Planeswalker abilities are sorcery speed.

Like I said, probably messed something up, but it is one of the nuances of the game that can lead to big swings in Eternal formats, where there are cards for every situation. The best tool to get better at understanding this, besides playing with Pros, or with a judge watching the whole match, is to play MTGO. Really forces you to stick to the rules and learn all of that.

ElyrionX

Thanks for the detailed responses.

So just to clarify, creature abilities are usually instant speed right? While planeswalker abilities are always sorcery speed?

ironmang

I don't doubt that they had the cards, I just don't by the idea that they pulled out that rarity from a tiny collection of cards, that appeared to be timespiral, that were found in a storage unit.

Some people only trade and are obsessed with getting power. I could see someone having a collection with a piece of power and the rest being junk.

noquarter

Thanks for the detailed responses.

So just to clarify, creature abilities are usually instant speed right? While planeswalker abilities are always sorcery speed?
Correct. You can only use Planeswalker abilities on your turn during the main phases. Activated abilities, unless otherwise stated, are treated just like Instants. That is the same whether on an artifact or on a creature. They are easy to tell because they will have a colon ( : ) in them, before the ability, such as Tap : _____ or Sacrifice : ________ .

Firemind

I don't doubt that they had the cards, I just don't by the idea that they pulled out that rarity from a tiny collection of cards, that appeared to be timespiral, that were found in a storage unit.

Yeah sounds like bullshit if all the cards have modern borders. The only p9 I owned at some point of time was a Timetwister and that was a shared collection. I see packs possibly containing power going for massive money. No way someone would buy that and hope to get lucky. You can open a Force of Nature. :lol

I remember there were sets where you could see the rare from the outside through the packaging. Not sure if it's this, revised or some other older set.

vikki

Some people only trade and are obsessed with getting power. I could see someone having a collection with a piece of power and the rest being junk.

I guess having that card makes them a "collector." Worst collector ever, but a collector. I enjoy playing and building decks, so having a card like that is a little useless to me because I don't want to sell my cards and I wouldn't use that card just because what it is.

I get the only dealing with power thing, something that someone that knows very little about MtG would do, which is why I wouldn't be surprised that the guys from the show would purchase the rarest of rare to make it seem like an incredible find. I think I'd be more impressed had they found a decent collection with something like Crucible of Worlds.

ironmang

I guess having that card makes them a "collector." Worst collector ever, but a collector. I enjoy playing and building decks, so having a card like that is a little useless to me because I don't want to sell my cards and I wouldn't use that card just because what it is.

I get the only dealing with power thing, something that someone that knows very little about MtG would do, which is why I wouldn't be surprised that the guys from the show would purchase the rarest of rare to make it seem like an incredible find. I think I'd be more impressed had they found a decent collection with something like Crucible of Worlds.

Back when drafting was my only magic playing, I loved to value trade just to see how nice my collection could be off of draft scraps. Plus getting some high value, locally rare cards was fun. A lot of people do that with some taking it a step further and trading the bulk of their collection into a piece of power.

bigkrev

Saito started....

For that person who wanted a Standard Sliver deck (really like the idea of having a toolbox of slivers to grab with Yisan)
Bszcan8CEAM644H.jpg

Maze's Enddddddddddd~
Bs0B1__CAAEz-C3.jpg

He's still going, he's up to 11 decks

OnPoint

Priority isn't what's relevant here. Whenever a player activates an ability of a permanent, the ability still happens even if the permanent is removed. You'll often hear of people using the analogy of a "grenade;" it doesn't matter if you kill the guy who threw the grenade, it's still going to go off.

Jace is a little awkward because he sets up what we call a "delayed" effect; that is, the thing that he does isn't relevant until long after your turn is done. But he doesn't still have to be there; the fact that he activated the effect means that it's still going to happen. He doesn't need to be around at the time the creatures attack for them to lose power.

Learn something new every day. That's what I get for not playing this standard online enough.

Absolutely crushed the first M15 draft at FNM tonight. Built an aggressive RB deck that didn't drop a single game on its way to 3-0. My best moment was playing a T2 Generator Servant into T3 Nightfire Giant, smash for five. Red was way open, and I had a bunch of sick removal. Cone of Flame is such a blowout; that card is not even close to fair.

All three of the pod winners tonight were really aggressive, and oddly enough, the Souls didn't put up good records. I would have thought they would have mattered more, but a lot of games were essentially over before Souls could untap. It'll be interesting to see if the meta shifts at the store next week, but tonight was all aggro on top.

Angry Grimace

Once you fire an ability off, its like a bullet. It's going to work unless something screws with it.

He shouldn't have done it in response, he gained nothing.

The only time it ever matters if it its conditional on the permanent still being in a specific zone.

Angry Grimace

Speaking of emblems, a hypothetical I was wondering about the other day is whether they are "nonland permanents"? Can they be targets of spells?

No, emblems are not permanents. They are objects that exist in the Command zone, which where objects which affect the game like permanents but aren't actually permanents, are placed. Its the same place an EDH Commander goes when not in play and the same place a Conspiracy card is played.

You can't interact with something in the command zone, unless of course a card explicitly allows you to (which as far as I know does not exist yet).

No, emblems are not permanents. They are objects that exist in the Command zone, which where objects which affect the game like permanents but aren't actually permanents, are placed. Its the same place an EDH Commander goes when not in play and the same place a Conspiracy card is played.

You can't interact with something in the command zone, unless of course a card explicitly allows you to (which as far as I know does not exist yet).

I was pretty sure that was the case, thanks

Angry Grimace

That was a l-o-n-g survey

Most interesting to me were all the questions about length of time cards are in Standard. I answered for all of them that I think Standard rotates a little too fast.

I said that its about right. The reason being that the card aren't available long enough for it to stick around much longer than it does now. I realize that to me, an internet savvy type, its not a big deal, but if the format is supposed to be "standard" I feel like packs should be available the entire time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom