• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
By the way, I'm gonna try and put together a MODO Modern deck because while Vintage is fun, I want to turn some dudes sideways. What's the most fun (competitive) deck? I have 4 Scalding Tarn and 2 Misty Rainforest and don't really want to purchase more Misty Rainforest because they're 45 dollar a pop, but I'm open to the other fetches since they're cheaper.

I was truthful and stated I only played Magic once a month for the past six months and the survey ended immediately. lolol
My survey ended almost immediately too, but not because I don't play Magic often. After I gave them my birthday (1981), it ended. Maybe they already received too much detailed feedback and are limiting new submissions?

Firemind

By the way, I'm gonna try and put together a MODO Modern deck because while Vintage is fun, I want to turn some dudes sideways. What's the most fun (competitive) deck? I have 4 Scalding Tarn and 2 Misty Rainforest and don't really want to purchase more Misty Rainforest because they're 45 dollar a pop, but I'm open to the other fetches since they're cheaper.

Honestly? Splinter Twin. Then you can turn a million dudes sideways. Not sure how expensive the card Splinter Twin is online. Probably fetches a pretty penny since it's a four-of in a tier one deck.

In a dream, I just got inspiration for what a wedge BUG society would look like. Well, to be specific, it was a dream about Metal Gear Solid involving Snake sneaking into this sort of society (with LPers commenting on it) and I realized the connection to a BUG wedge afterwards.

The scene that happened in the dream (minus Snake and LPers) took place in an area with a lot of homeless people. Then suddenly, there was a march of strange bestial and colorful machines through the area, driving away the homeless people and clearing out the area, including some machines drilling up through the ground. Then, the machines stopped and opened up: they turn out to be vehicles for rich people, who come out in fancy dresses, and in the cleared out area, a dinner party is held with the people dancing to a waltz.

Not all of the following came from the dream, but rather was extrapolated from the events of it and the unspoken knowledge I had of the society from the dream. It is a society where it is believed that the natural state of humans is to be creating machines, not really innovating, but rather creating variations on themes set down by artificers of old, who were revered for their skills. The society believes in predestination. Everyone is born to fulfill a certain role, and whatever role they fall into is the one that they were always supposed to. How they handle that role then determines their reward or punishment in the next life. The ideal is that everyone is given basic education where they are allowed to explore different forms of artifice and then, once they discover the role they are destined to fulfill, they are given further education in that field. In practice, however, the rich take advantage of this system such that only they get access to the proper education and resources. The poor are considered to not be succeeding at their roles and the rich are considered to be succeeding at their roles, and thus are considered blessed and beyond question, so they view themselves as being within their rights to do whatever they want with the poor.

The green part comes from the religious beliefs of the society, the reverence of past artificers, and the bestial nature of the machines they create. The blue part comes from the machines, the fact that knowledge of artifice is considered important, and the way people are given a chance to determine for themselves what they are destined to do with artifacts (in theory). The black part comes from how the rich take advantage of the system and abuse the poor. The lack of white comes from how the society doesn't try to protect everyone, and the lack of red comes from how there is neither empathy among the rich nor rage among the poor.

In terms of card implementation, I think the colorful bestial machines could be a lot of fun, making colored artifact creatures that feel different from those of Esper. You could have art of guys with punchable faces riding on top of a green artifact elephant drinking wine while poor people have to get out of the way. But the real fun comes when red and white inevitably start infiltrating this world, and you get poor people revolting and rich people starting to become sympathetic to their cause.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly? Splinter Twin. Then you can turn a million dudes sideways. Not sure how expensive the card Splinter Twin is online. Probably fetches a pretty penny since it's a four-of in a tier one deck.

Isn't Splinter Twin kind of a combo deck though?

The actual card is 7 dollars online, btw.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
That...BUG dream thing is actually really helpful, insomuch as I've been trying to figure out what wedge cultures would look like and BUG is the one that was driving me absolutely nuts.

BWG is something like the borg, a xenophobic collective

BWR is probably a state of constant war, filled with battle and betrayals and drama and death

RUG is what you get when you have a lush series of jungle islands untouched by civilization: leviathans and titans in the land and sea, diverse life everywhere, what humanoids there are as wide eyed explorers with a drive for discovery

WUR would be like a peaceful, "stable society" probably closest to our modern conception of civilization, with strong passions for art and classic intellectualism and harmony and peace

But I was just struggling to think what BUG would even represent philosophically.

bigkrev

Installed the new Magic Online, and played a game of Momir (I sold my collection last month). The actual play interface is actually OK!

Wanted to see what formats were draftable. Not only could I not figure it out on my own (I had to read the tutorial twice to figure it out), but it seems either all my tickets/points have either dissapared from my collection, or i don't know how to make them show up.

*sigh*

Firemind

Isn't Splinter Twin kind of a combo deck though?

The actual card is 7 dollars online, btw.

Sometimes it is, other times it's not. In some matchups you can't race, you're playing the tempo game (storm) and in other matchups where they're equipped to deal with the combo (jund) your strategy is to grind them out with batterskull and keranos in the sb.

It's kind of turned into a snapcaster value deck (sometimes with goyfs) with a combo as an alternate win condition.

You can play affinity too, but then I'll hate you for it. :p

Angry Grimace

Installed the new Magic Online, and played a game of Momir (I sold my collection last month). The actual play interface is actually OK!

Wanted to see what formats were draftable. Not only could I not figure it out on my own (I had to read the tutorial twice to figure it out), but it seems either all my tickets/points have either dissapared from my collection, or i don't know how to make them show up.

*sigh*

They should be in the tab that shows your non cards.

Not sure about the drafting issue. There's just a list under "Limited tournaments."

Zocano

Why hate Affinity? ):

It's the only Modern deck I can build/afford cause I grabbed Opals and Ravagers when they were "cheap".

Angry Grimace

The total value of the rares in my Magic 2015 fat pack is less than 5 dollars. That's quite a feat, and also why I don't buy more than one of these things per set.

In reality of course, it's worth literally zero because nobody really wants to buy single copies of Obelisk of Urd or Ob Nixuluss, the Useless.

kirblar

BUG was the shard the Phyrexians got in Scars. Artificial evolution (U/G), Life->Death->Life->Death cycle (B/G), Selfish Sneakiness (U/B).

BWR should be total primordial ANGELS DEMONS AND DRAGONS OH MY a la Kaalia. One of the custom cards in my semi-cusom cube I need to actually finish up is Rapture: 3BWR, Destroy all creatures. Then, return all Angel, Demon and Dragon creatures from all graveyards to play under their owners' control. Think Primal Rage, w/ cooler shit.

Actually, speaking of BWR, it occurs to me that a big problem with the Western world from the Great Designer Search 2 was that green and blue had very weak definitions in that world. Making a BWR wedge a Western world could take that problem out of the picture, and it fits well, I think.

kirblar

(No one* wants to see a western world.)

Steam punk would work though.(in general). Maybe have the five wedges be various stages of civilization?

*Outside of a small minority of people that is going to lean very very Old.

Eh, I remember that during the Great Designer Search 2, a lot of people really liked the idea of the Western world, including the judges, and were disappointed when the designer couldn't do a good enough job to let the world continue.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Replace guns with magic.

Give Jace a poncho and a Stetson.

Hey where do you guys think is the best place to sell cards online?

So far from my research it seems like Card Kingdom & Troll and Toad offer the best prices especially if you opt for the store credit payment option. Have you guys had any experience with either before?

I'm trying to buy fetches because I just got into modern (built U/R Storm and have everything except fetches).

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
If you make a Western world and "Magic-ify" it, it just becomes steampunky anyway.

Eh, not necessarily. I think there are ways to capture that "frontier world" feel without delving into steampunk. It might not look completely "Western" on the surface though, similar to how Zendikar is "Indiana Jones world"

kirblar

One of my friends T4'd and IQ with the Saito Mono-G list.

Apparently Chord->Hornet Queen was absolutely nuts for him all day long.

z9WyKLa.jpg

Firemind

It's a massive systemic problem in how WotC handles their digital space. Nothing is ever gradual. It's always massive, sudden, and disorienting.

You weren't kidding. I held CTRL so that I could maintain priority and Remand my Seething Song. It didn't work...

what the fuck wizards

ironmang

After that incident I looked up what IS the hotkey to retain priority and the Wizards customer help desk says it's holding the CTRL key. :lol

If I was playing right now I'd probably be filing for event reimbursement after something like that. Probably the reason I've been staying off modo though since I'd be filing after every event.

alternade

I need to find a way to break Chasm Sulker. It gives me the same vibe Master of waves did when it was realeased and everyone was cold on it. A couple friends were debating it seeing play along side delver?

Best post the WotC community forums have ever seen:

http://community.wizards.com/forum/magic-general/threads/4114706

So, so much truth there.

I just read this, then came in here to post it; it figures you would have already.

I found myself nodding in approval over and over again. It's incredible how good Wizards is at managing changes to the structure of their paper product, but how terrible they are at doing the same thing to literally anything digital. John Loucks' blog post about why he left Wizards was similarly telling; the digital arm of that company is just simply not capable (at a management level) of handling something this big.

Angry Grimace

It's a massive systemic problem in how WotC handles their digital space. Nothing is ever gradual. It's always massive, sudden, and disorienting.

The beta has been available and non-mandatory for like two years. Everyone just decided they would rather pretend V3 would never go away rather than spend some time figuring out how to make things work in the new client and now they can't find shit.

I'm not saying they did a good job changing stuff around for no real reason, but I am saying its the players fault to some degree for being obstinate as possible in the face of the changeover.

You weren't kidding. I held CTRL so that I could maintain priority and Remand my Seething Song. It didn't work...

what the fuck wizards

That still works for me.

kirblar

The beta has been available and non-mandatory for like two years. Everyone just decided they would rather pretend V3 would never go away rather than spend some time figuring out how to make things work in the new client and now they can't find shit.

I'm not saying they did a good job changing stuff around for no real reason, but I am saying its the players fault to some degree for being obstinate as possible in the face of the changeover.
But the whole "lets change the architecture AND THE CLIENT at the same time" thing is a big part of why there's a problem. They don't do gradual change.
I found myself nodding in approval over and over again. It's incredible how good Wizards is at managing changes to the structure of their paper product, but how terrible they are at doing the same thing to literally anything digital. John Loucks' blog post about why he left Wizards was similarly telling; the digital arm of that company is just simply not capable (at a management level) of handling something this big.
People are leaving because they're underpaid, frustrated, and the company shows no sign of actually getting the capital it needs to function in the digital space.

Angry Grimace

But the whole "lets change the architecture AND THE CLIENT at the same time" thing is a big part of why there's a problem. They don't do gradual change.

People are leaving because they're underpaid, frustrated, and the company shows no sign of actually getting the capital it needs to function in the digital space.

"V4 is different from V3" is probably the complaint with the least merit and the most fury thrown at it; see, e.g. that incredibly overlong post from that guy.

kirblar

"V4 is different from V3" is probably the complaint with the least merit and the most fury thrown at it; see, e.g. that incredibly overlong post from that guy.
V4 is different than V3 in two very distinct ways. The interface is different, but so is the underlying database architecture. That's a problem. Pick one to change, change it, then do the other. Doing what they did gets you the current development boondoggle.

Angry Grimace

V4 is different than V3 in two very distinct ways. The interface is different, but so is the underlying database architecture. That's a problem. Pick one to change, change it, then do the other. Doing what they did gets you the current development boondoggle.

The problem is, "the underlying database architecture is different" as a complaint is essentially moonspeak. What does that have to do with everyone's ability to play Magic?

kirblar

The problem is, "the underlying database architecture is different" as a complaint is essentially moonspeak. What does that have to do with everyone's ability to play Magic?
It's why running two clients was a massive resource drain for them. They were operating on two parallel sets of architecture that had to be programmed differently, giving them double the workload.

Hero

I pretty much refuse to play Magic Online because of how fucking terrible the UI is. Completely atrocious.

Angry Grimace

Whatever. You can bet I'm not going to draft storm anymore when using LED properly can make the difference between winning and losing. They should have a toggle or some shit like with phases.

I don't really know what to tell you other than it works when I do it. I've never heard such a bug before, so maybe its just a slip of the finger or something?

Angry Grimace

Well, I guess I'm going to Comic Con this year. I imagine the special Planeswalkers will be gone by Saturday when I go, but do they sell anything else there? I imagine not.

Kacar

Just finally splurged and bought 4 thoughtseizes to finish my monoblack deck. What is the general sideboarding strategy vs burn? Do you take the thoughtseizes out or leave some in?

Now I'm no tournament player, but I would imagine a logical course of action would be to swap the Thoughtseizes for Duresses. I also know that Staff of the Death Magus has been a surprisingly effective sideboard option.

Angry Grimace

Just finally splurged and bought 4 thoughtseizes to finish my monoblack deck. What is the general sideboarding strategy vs burn? Do you take the thoughtseizes out or leave some in?

Duress is better than Thoughtseize in that matchup.

You will lose to a burn deck 33% of the time regardless of what you do, but its a favorable matchup if you stabilize at all. Resolving a single Gary will basically end the game, so mostly just try and keep them from sticking threats until you can stabilize.

I fucking hate the new client, its like torture. I think I'm gonna quit playing mtgo now.

What is it specially you don't like? ("Everything" is an invalid answer.) The actual play interface? Can't find certain options?

creativelopez said: Is there any possibility of expanding Red's temporary cloning to include non-creature permanents?

It’s something we could explore.

Now this is an option for getting around red's enchantment weakness that I didn't consider. "Oh, your using Banishing Light on my guy? Well I'll tap to copy that Banishing Light and use it on your Banishing Light! Oh wait, that creature doesn't have haste... and when my Banishing Light disappeared, you exiled a bigger creature I brought out since then. I didn't plan this out correctly." And the neat thing is, that if enchantment copying is restricted to sorcery speed, it will effectively be used to either boost your creatures or stop a creature from blocking most of the time, both of which are in red's color pie!

ironmang

Betas shouldn't even be counted as a transitional period. There were so many bugs that made it borderline unplayable for many people. Even during the spotlight, the last time I actually tried to play, there were basic problems that shouldn't have made it past day 1 of testing like the tiny cards surrounded by a huge, unused play area. Nobody should have been expected to waste their time, money, and patience preparing for the eventual downgrade to V4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom