• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnPoint

I loved that Reid Duke had the stones to bring that deck to the World Championships last year. It was a perfect metagame choice, albeit a very risky one - he literally mulliganed away the title of World Champion.

I was so sad for him to see that happen. The deck was playing so well... then that.

I want to go to this Modern GP in boston, but I've never played modern in a tournament. I have a modified event deck.

Should I bother with the main event or just do sides?

bigkrev

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh, look, Theros sucked.

Also, standard being run over by Thoughtseize and Mono-B for a year: Also sucked.

There's only so many people who want to play stacked Wizard poker. Its not an unlimited market.

Speaking of Modern, I think I saw Ensoul Artifact in a winning Affinity list at PTQ Nagoya. Also, an affinity list with Tarmogoyf. http://74598.diarynote.jp/

I wonder if Hasbro knows how much $ they are losing by having a shitty online client.

Think about if mtgo was available on Macs and Tablets.

Holy shit the $$$$$$$$ they would make.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I wonder if Hasbro knows how much $ they are losing by having a shitty online client.

They said they're going to "put money" into it. Whatever that means.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor

Just wait until they see the $$$ Blizzard begins to make from Hearthstone.

Angry Grimace

kirblar

I remember seeing an article on Reddit where a guy who does basically nothing but buy cards for his job (some MTG online retailer) said that the stories of realistic fakes are premature and that all of them are laughably fake in person outside of a sleeve.
I have seen them in person. This is true.

So what constructed formats does everyone play, and what are your favorite decks?

Standard: Esper Control
Modern: Anything as long as it loses to Blood Moon
Legacy: Miracles/Reanimator
EDH: Erebos/Lord of Tresserhorn

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";122161513]So what constructed formats does everyone play, and what are your favorite decks?

Standard: Esper Control
Modern: Anything as long as it loses to Blood Moon
Legacy: Miracles/Reanimator
EDH: Erebos/Lord of Tresserhorn[/QUOTE]

Vintage: Dredge; Gush Storm
Standard: Naya Cats
Modern: Faeries
Legacy: Fuck buying Wasteland

Firemind

Standard: nothing
Modern: nothing
Legacy: FoW decks. No goyf club (seriously, paper goyfs are worth $200 a piece now? when will this madness end?)
EDH: blue/red decks

Angry Grimace

Standard: nothing
Modern: nothing
Legacy: FoW decks. No goyf club (seriously, paper goyfs are worth $200 a piece now? when will this madness end?)
EDH: blue/red decks

Tarmogoyf at rare in Khans of Tarkir

BELIEVE

(I actually strongly dislike the card Tarmogoyf in that its very expensive and it isn't necessarily a fun card.)

JulianImp

Standard: U/R Young Pyromancer (used to be BUG Flash in Innistrad-RTR standard)
Extended (the old one): Thopter Foundry (before people begun adding the Dark Depths combo to it)
EDH: U/R or UG decks (built but not played, since no one I know plays EDH)

ultron87

Standard: UW/UWr control for a really long time. Now BG Constellation except M15 possibly straight murdered it. Trying dumb combo now.

Modern: Affinity. Also have a modified BW Tokens event deck.

EDH: Roon of the Hidden Realm. I don't think I've ever actually enjoyed an EDH game that wasn't 1 on 1.

Angry Grimace

I think they would admit that printing Goyf/Confidant at Mythic was a mistake.

I don't even think Tarmogoyf is a good Mythic. It doesn't actually do anything on the field beyond being big.

ironmang

Standard: B/W Midrange
Modern: Scapeshift and Affinity
Legacy: RUG Delver/Maverick
EDH: none. Have toyed around with different ideas but I always remember how much I hate how long the games last.

Tarmogoyf as a regular rare in the 2015 fall block.
Fetchlands at uncommon in Khans.

I'd honestly instantly sell all cards I owned that were over $20 and not on the reserved list if this happened.

New art for the new Garruk's emblem
idZtxwh.jpg

Firemind

Well, problem is most EDH players I know don't mind long games. I'd definitely get hated out if I showed up with anything that threatened that. :p

The key is to target your ire at an individual and go out in a blaze of glory. Best way is to fetch a Lightning Greaves, so you can go to town with your general. And play stuff Ankh of Mishra. :trollface

Angry Grimace

Kibler was doing a stream where he was bitching non-stop about V4, including such issues as not knowing how to leave the sideboarding screen when his opponent has left the match, and the queues not being full enough for him to play immediately.
KuGsj.gif

Firemind

Kibler was doing a stream where he was bitching non-stop about V4, including such issues as not knowing how to leave the sideboarding screen when his opponent has left the match, and the queues not being full enough for him to play immediately.
KuGsj.gif

My issues with V4:
- Sometimes artwork while drafting does not display.
- When starting deck construction, all cards automatically go into your maindeck instead of your sideboard.
- Trigger popup covers the target(s).
- Maintaining priority doesn't work (or works?)

Angry Grimace

My issues with V4:
- Sometimes artwork while drafting does not display.
- When starting deck construction, all cards automatically go into your maindeck instead of your sideboard.
- Trigger popup covers the target(s).
- Maintaining priority doesn't work (or works?)

Artwork issues: I haven't experienced this except for very sporadically around when Journey came out, so I can't say.

Deck Construction: This is because they are allowing for, and expect that a lot of people will manage their deck during the draft itself. You can move all of the cards out of the main deck window by selecting them all and removing them. This is why Sealed does not do that, but Draft does.

Trigger popup: The Trigger pop up can be moved and saved to appear where you want it.

Maintaining Priority: This works on my system. Hold CTRL when you cast a spell.

Firemind

Thanks, mate.

Oh, and sorting the collection is a real hassle. Cards like Blazing Specter, Goblin Trenches and Prophetic Bolt from VMA will show up as rare and sorting by set apparently doesn't work?

Aside from that, I like V4. Looks much more streamlined.

Standard: Junk Midrange shell but I really play all 5 colors, using Confluence and Caryatid to splash for Sphinx's Rev & Xenagos
Modern: Working on a mono-U Faeries deck and also The Rock, though neither is up and running yet
Legacy: N/A :(
EDH: Memnarch has been my mainstay and I just built a Naya deck with Rith. Old main deck was Kresh the Bloodbraided which was a lot of fun.

bigkrev

Standard: Mono Red (pretty much always)
Modern: Storm, Affinity (I find Affinity slightly harder to play than storm, mostly due to hate cards in game 2 and 3 and mulligan decisions)
Legacy: N/A
EDH: My favorite deck was Omnath, though I took it apart ages ago. The only EDH deck I have built right now is a terrible Nin the Pain Artist deck that can't actually win a game
Draft (no matter what set): U/x

Angry Grimace

Thanks, mate.

Oh, and sorting the collection is a real hassle. Cards like Blazing Specter, Goblin Trenches and Prophetic Bolt from VMA will show up as rare and sorting by set apparently doesn't work?

Aside from that, I like V4. Looks much more streamlined.

That is an issue I'll give you - its due to the fact that the original printings were at rare, and for whatever internal reason, the game can't sort them out that way. I'm not sure if this has something to do with legality in some format or simply is a bug. I'm guessing the latter.

The biggest annoyance for me is that cards that require you to name something - Phyrexian Revoker, Cabal Therapy, Pithing Needle, require you to manually scroll through a list of EVERY CARD IN MAGIC to name a card. Why can't you just search for "Force of Will?"

ElyrionX

I think they would admit that printing Goyf/Confidant at Mythic was a mistake.

Why do you think printing goyf at mythic was a mistake?

I'm still thinking whether I should venture into Modern or not. Was looking up Splinter Twin decks and staples like the fetchlands and Vendilion Clique are incredibly expensive. These cards could get reprinted anytime and see their value plummet right?

Standard: G/W lifegain
Modern: Various versions of Kiki/Twin combo
EDH: Prossh

I also have several other Modern decks like Pod variants, Living End, 8 Rack/Pox and Jund minus the freakin Goyfs that skyrocketed in price.

In other news today is my birthday and my wife surprised me with this.

eternalweekend.jpg

Standard: G/W Little Kid
I don't manage to play much standard any more, but I have to sleeve up Experiment One and Advent of the Wurm when I do. Tonight, I got to Wrath a guy's Pack Rats with Setessan Tactics and knights from Selesnya Charm. There is usually a good G/W aggro deck in standard, but who knows what it'll look like after rotation. I'm going to miss it.

Modern: B/W Midrange
I'm not sure I love this deck, but any time I get to play Dark Confidant makes me happy. Even though it's not together at the moment, Kiki Pod is probably my favorite deck in modern.

I don't own the cards to play legacy, but I've considered assembling Shardless BUG piece by piece because it's not too far out of reach and the cards I'm missing are ubiquitous format staples like Force and Jace. If Polluted Deltas show up in Khans and become cheap, that might push me over the edge.

I finally got around to buying the sleeves for the Visions portion of my Mirage draft simulator. Only a couple good friends were willing to put themselves through that for me, so we did Mirage/Visions sealed deck instead. Watching newer players play limited with cards from 1996 is a trip. The creatures are all so bad by comparison that no one knows what to do. I put together a sweet U/R tempo deck with some Cloud Elementals (3 mana 2/3 flying, can't block non-fliers), a Knight of the Mists (3 mana 2/2 flanker, murders all of the block's best creatures on entering), and double Fireblast. My non-nostalgic buddies had a miserable time, but I'll be adding Weatherlight soon anyway. After rotation, we might combine the Ravnica blocks for something similar.

Anyway, nobody cares about all that, so...

Happy birthday, blindrocket, and sweet mat!

kirblar

Why do you think printing goyf at mythic was a mistake?

I'm still thinking whether I should venture into Modern or not. Was looking up Splinter Twin decks and staples like the fetchlands and Vendilion Clique are incredibly expensive. These cards could get reprinted anytime and see their value plummet right?
Because they obviously didn't print enough of them, and they established a terrible precedent. The cards were only Mythic because they were worth money. (Kiki, Elspeth, and Clique were all no-brainer Mythics, even in a normal set.)

ElyrionX

Because they obviously didn't print enough of them, and they established a terrible precedent. The cards were only Mythic because they were worth money. (Kiki, Elspeth, and Clique were all no-brainer Mythics, even in a normal set.)

So just to understand this a bit more, mythics are typically cards with powerful abilities that are not found anywhere else? And goyf's power is generally in line with that of rares?

So just to understand this a bit more, mythics are typically cards with powerful abilities that are not found anywhere else? And goyf's power is generally in line with that of rares?

Eh, not really. What differentiates a normal rare and a mythic rare is:
1. "Splashiness". That is to say, mythic rare cards should ideally make you go "wow" as soon as you see them, because they look powerful or look really unique. In actuality, there is rarely much difference between the average rare power and the average mythic rare power of a set.
2. Planeswalkers are only printed at mythic rare now.
3. For the most part, legendary creatures are now printed at mythic rare. If there are a ton in a set, like in Return to Ravnica block and Theros block, then some "less important" characters will be at rare.
4. Lands that are expected to appear in a lot of decks, like dual color lands, never appear at mythic rare. Lands like Maze's End are fine at mythic rare.
5. Sometimes, cards are placed in mythic rare if even just having them at rare will warp the limited environment. I can't think of any actual examples, but I know people were saying they should have done this with Pack Rat back when RtR was in limited.

In the end, it's mainly a feel thing. Pack Rat doesn't feel like it would be appropriate as a mythic rare, for instance, and while Kruphix, God of Horizons sees no tournament play, few would think he should have been a rare instead of a mythic.

Yes and no. You can (and should) have powerful cards at every rarity. Tarmogoyf is certainly a powerful creature, but it barely has text on it, which is kind of bizarre for a mythic.

kirblar

Mythics should be splashy, impactful, unusual, etc. Confidant and Goyf are the definition of mundane.

Angry Grimace

Mythics should be splashy, impactful, unusual, etc. Confidant and Goyf are the definition of mundane.

I could at least see Confidant as Mythic because its a risky, fun ability. Tarmogoyf basically doesn't do anything beyond being a basic attacker/blocker.

If Snapcaster Mage ever gets reprinted, watch them stick it at Mythic because its worth money. (Snapcaster should have been red)

kirblar

I could at least see Confidant as Mythic because its a risky, fun ability. Tarmogoyf basically doesn't do anything beyond being a basic attacker/blocker.

If Snapcaster Mage ever gets reprinted, watch them stick it at Mythic because its worth money. (Snapcaster should have been red)
It should have never had flash. Might be too good as red at 2 mana. U/R U/R probably the best cost.

Angry Grimace

It should have never had flash. Might be too good as red at 2 mana. U/R U/R probably the best cost.
Its too good in blue at 2 mana. Snapcaster is just kind of too good.

Maro agrees it should have probably been red, but they just let the winner of the invitational design it and leave it the way it was because he wanted it to be blue (of course he wanted it to be blue).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom