• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm pretty sure this is worse than Lord of Innestrad, a card that never lit standard on fire.

It is worse than Lord of Innistrad, but I still think it will see some play (I certainly don't think its going to light Standard on fire). I've been wrong a lot about cards before, though.

Kerrinck

It is worse than Lord of Innistrad, but I still think it will see some play (I certainly don't think its going to light Standard on fire). I've been wrong a lot about cards before, though.

Any planeswalker that he's never seen some play? With the exception of that weird RR one.
He's a bit inferior to the Lord of Innistrad and his token making ability is a bit weak but the pump/lifelink seems nice enough.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't wait to maindeck Ob Nixilis Unshackled in Khans standard and just laugh my ass off.

Any planeswalker that he's never seen some play? With the exception of that weird RR one.
He's a bit inferior to the Lord of Innistrad and his token making ability is a bit weak but the pump/lifelink seems nice enough.

Quite a few of them have been pretty middling and not seen a lot of serious play, e.g. Ashiok. I mean, I think Sorin is pretty playable in Standard, although perhaps not to the same degree Sarkhan is (Sarkhan is just obviously good.).

ultron87

MaRo's been hinting that they'd start to be doing more block inter-connectivity in storytelling. I think this is the start of that.

It just seems unlikely to me that they'd go to two block structure to be able visit more places and stories and then immediately do a six set long story with the same general cast of characters with just a Core set break.

kirblar

It just seems unlikely to me that they'd go to two block structure to be able visit more places and stories and then immediately do a six set long story with the same general cast of characters with just a Core set break.
Nah, it'll be a more varied cast of characters. Plus you can have PWs show up without needing to devote a card to them.

Angry Grimace

I don't understand how Outlast is ever supposed to be worth it or good.

I don't understand how Outlast is ever supposed to be worth it or good.

It's okay in a Limited stalemate. For constructed? Basically never. A card would have to be really good even without Outlast for the ability to see any play.

I decided to try to start scooping up Shocklands today. With everyone out of town for events, I could only find two people with shocks :-\ I did manage to pick up a foil Watery Grave though.

Anyone think Deathrite Shaman is a good investment? It's at 10 right now, and I can't see it ever going down. Do you think it'll go up over time?

kirblar

It's legacy-only and there are a LOT of them out there.

I picked mine up at 3.50 preorder. :p It and Jace 4 taught me the power of long text boxes confusing casual players and depressing preorder prices.

Angry Grimace

It's okay in a Limited stalemate. For constructed? Basically never. A card would have to be really good even without Outlast for the ability to see any play.

I decided to try to start scooping up Shocklands today. With everyone out of town for events, I could only find two people with shocks :-\ I did manage to pick up a foil Watery Grave though.

Anyone think Deathrite Shaman is a good investment? It's at 10 right now, and I can't see it ever going down. Do you think it'll go up over time?

Its not a good spec in my opinion. Its a Legacy only rare from a set that was opened a fucking lot. A card that is going to get fucking expensive as shit soon is Snapcaster Mage.

JulianImp

I'd move my judge foil fetches to get multiple copies of Khans ones, if only they were easier to trade in Argentina. Internet's a no-go for me, since international shipping can be a mess due to tracking not working once the envelope leaves my country, and I'd rather not gamble with that.

Wizards reprinting the ONS fetches seems like a great move for the game, since introducing them to Modern will decompress ZEN fetch prices as decks will gain more alternatives to them which are not only already available from people who got the older printings, but will also become available in large quantities due to the Khans print run being considerably larger than that of older sets.

Angry Grimace

So there's 10 more lands left to spoil - are we expecting typed dual taplands or something? That would make some sense given that Maro said there's a ton of fixing in the set (and fetches are pretty weak fixing if all you can fetch are basics and there's no other mechanic to support it).

kirblar

So there's 10 more lands left to spoil - are we expecting typed dual taplands or something? That would make some sense given that Maro said there's a ton of fixing in the set (and fetches are pretty weak fixing if all you can fetch are basics and there's no other mechanic to support it).
There are 20 nonbasics in this set?

Welp. Panoramas at common are possible. We're probably looking at 1 common cycle and 1 rare cycle.

Angry Grimace

Don't we already know tri lands at uncommon?

Right now it seems like its 20 non-basics ---> 5 Fetches at rare, 5 trilands at uncommon 10 ?? lands at ??. I can only guess its a guildgate cycle.

Angry Grimace

Full cycle of fetches in Khans maybe? Wizards plz

They don't put 10 rare lands in a set unless the set is enormous, like 300+ cards.

It seems like the design is Present day Tarkir --> Past Tarkir ---> Present, altered Tarkir. I assume we'll see ZEN fetches in the last set, and instead of dead dragons the art will have live ones flying around and shit.

noquarter

I decided to try to start scooping up Shocklands today. With everyone out of town for events, I could only find two people with shocks :- I did manage to pick up a foil Watery Grave though.

I wouldn't invest heavily in it, but I would make sure to have a play set and a spare for trade if you like long term targets. I only see it getting reprinted in a specialty product, since it is banned in Modern. A similar card might be Stoneforge Mystic, since it was printed pretty heavily as a two of in an event deck, and that has seen some gains recently.

Foils are probably the safest bet, wouldn't be surprised to see them over $100 in the next couple years. But I wouldn't invest heavily in non foils.
So which clan is Tarmogoyf going to be in =V
Are you suggesting they want to ensure the second set of the best selling second set of all time? Putting Goyf in this set would depress fetchlands to sub $10 levels.

Angry Grimace

I think there's still likely going to be a reprint or two in this block that's going to have an impact on Modern. I mean, this was one of the first sets they designed after Modern came out and there's no other real reason to stick Fetches in it, either. Do I really think Tarmogoyf is going to show up in Standard? Good god no.

ElyrionX

They don't put 10 rare lands in a set unless the set is enormous, like 300+ cards.

It seems like the design is Present day Tarkir --> Past Tarkir ---> Present, altered Tarkir. I assume we'll see ZEN fetches in the last set, and instead of dead dragons the art will have live ones flying around and shit.

Because it'll leave less space for other rares in the set?

kirblar

There are really good $ reasons not to put 10 "good" rare lands n the same set- it'll suck all the box value into those cards.

Wow, Outlast is one of the worst mechanics ever. It would take a ridiculous trigger to even make one Constructed playable. The "make a dude" guy isn't cutting it.

Glad they reprinted the fetches, wasn't planning on selling my ONS fetches anyway.

Yeah, I imagine that's what's going to happen too. You can't go, "Hey guys, look at all these dead dragons," then when we visit the alternate timeline with living dragons, not go, 'Hey guys, look at all these living dragons turning what used to be polluted deltas into marsh flats."

Also, for outlast, it seems like the intended playstyle is not to use it as soon as possible, but rather wait until you have some other creatures on defense and then pump up an outlast guy until it's stronger than whatever your opponent has.

EDIT: Also, I'm expecting a card like this to appear:
Bear Necessity - 1U
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Its controller puts a 4/4 green Bear creature token onto the battlefield.
The Temur follow the ideals of the werebear, and exercise their right to bear arms.

Made it a sorcery because its interaction with ferocity makes it good to actually use on your own creatures.

ElyrionX

There are really good $ reasons not to put 10 "good" rare lands n the same set- it'll suck all the box value into those cards.

But Wizards sell more boxes and that's very important for them. Why would they care so much about the value of the other cards in the set, especially in the near term.

I don't think it was a coincidence that enemy painlands were announced as a last minute addition to M15 around the time Hasbro's poor Q2 earnings came out and Magic was cited as having weak earnings. The pressure to meet financial targets is very real at these listed companies, especially in the US. It's pretty clear by now that the painlands were added to pave the way for the allied fetches in KTK which is a low hanging fruit when it comes to meeting earnings targets at Wizards.

But Wizards sell more boxes and that's very important for them. Why would they care so much about the value of the other cards in the set, especially in the near term.

I don't think it was a coincidence that enemy painlands were announced as a last minute addition to M15 around the time Hasbro's poor Q2 earnings came out and Magic was cited as having weak earnings. The pressure to meet financial targets is very real at these listed companies, especially in the US. It's pretty clear by now that the painlands were added to pave the way for the allied fetches in KTK which is a low hanging fruit when it comes to meeting earnings targets at Wizards.

Uh, I don't think that timeline works out.

kirblar

They work a year out, this was decided long in advance. The problems with "everything comes into play tapped" are very real when you look at the other lands in the format pre-painlands.

I just got back from PAX and as part of the swag they were giving out some Magic Intro decks. I've been interested in the game for a while but never really put any thought into it and figures that hey free deck may as well see whats up with this. I know that there are five different types of card plus multi colored and neutral and that you have to pay mana for stuff but that's as much as I know.

I got a blue intro deck which as far as I can tell have all the same cards. I also got some boosters with the following cards:

Blue: Island, Frost Lynx, Kapsho Kitefins, Peel From Reality, Void Snare, Encrust. 3 X Amphin Pathmages, Dissipate, 2 X Coral Reefs, Glacial Crasher, 2 X Aeronaut Tinkers, 2 X Mind Sculpts, 2 X Invisibity, Hydrosurge, and a RB Shivan Reef.

Red: 2 X Thundering Giants, 2 X Act on Impulse, 2 X Walls of Fire, Torch Fiend, Blasftfire Bolt, Lightning Strike, Heat Ray, Hammerhand, Miners Bane, and 1 weird Dragon Token creature.

White: Plains, 2 X Heliods Pilgrim, 2 X Ephmeral Shields, Paragon of New Dawn, Battle, Mastery, Kinbaile, Smasher, Dauntless River Marshal, Midnight Guards, Oppressive rays, and Spectra Ward.

Black, 2 X Swamps, 2 X Child of Night, 3 X Sign in Bloods, 2 X Accursed Spirit, Brawlers Plate, Blood Host, Witch's Familiar, Necrobite, Eternal Thirst, Rotfeaster Maggot, and Soul of New Phyrexia.

Green: Forest, 2 X Satyr Wayfinders, 2 X Titanic Growths, 2 X Hunt the Weak, Elvish Mystic, Nautralize, Nissa's Expedition, Invasive Species, Sunblade Elf, Back to Nature, Living Totem, Netcaster Spider, Wall of Mulch, Runeclaw Bear, Undergrowth Scavenger, and Hornet Nest.

Neutral: 2 X Radiant Fountains, Meteorite, and Sliver Hivelord.

Given that what is your idea on what I should use? Any suggestions on what are good and bad cards?

I think it's just as likely that since Khans seems to be driven by mechanics, and those mechanics seem to not have a giant impact upon first glance, they probably just wanted the fetches in for marketing purposes.

Quantitative easing is another fine reason too.

I just got back from PAX and as part of the swag they were giving out some Magic Intro decks. I've been interested in the game for a while but never really put any thought into it and figures that hey free deck may as well see whats up with this. I know that there are five different types of card plus multi colored and neutral and that you have to pay mana for stuff but that's as much as I know.

If you don't even know how to play, and you don't have anyone to teach you, then you should probably play Duels of the Planeswalkers, a video game specifically for new players. My understanding is that the latest version, 2015, isn't as good for new players as the previous versions, so try to get the 2014 version or something.

Also, I notice that in your card list, you were confused by the dragon token creature. Token creatures are produced by other cards, but aren't cards themselves and can be represented by anything you have on hand, such as, well, a token, hence the name. For example, there is a card in Magic 2013 that produces two goblin creatures with one spell, and this is done by having you put down two goblin creature tokens.

Also, for outlast, it seems like the intended playstyle is not to use it as soon as possible, but rather wait until you have some other creatures on defense and then pump up an outlast guy until it's stronger than whatever your opponent has.
Spending 10 mana and 3 turns to incrementally piece together a (tapped) 4/5 and three 1/1s is not even good in Limited except in the slowest and grindiest of games. Your dork can't even attack or block thanks to Outlast, so the ability actually means "dump your mana into this incredibly marginal upgrade if you really have nothing else to do." It's not like level up set the world on fire and this is so much worse.

Angry Grimace

Its not weak earnings. It had flat growth. MTG is ludicrously profitable. Its pieces of cardboard.

f0rk

Spending 10 mana and 3 turns to incrementally piece together a (tapped) 4/5 and three 1/1s is not even good in Limited except in the slowest and grindiest of games. Your dork can't even attack or block thanks to Outlast, so the ability actually means "dump your mana into this incredibly marginal upgrade if you really have nothing else to do." It's not like level up set the world on fire and this is so much worse.

The 2 mana 2/1 is quite aggressively costed at least. The base cards don't pay much up front in their design so I imagine a lot of them will be very good in limited. Just not necessarily the 1 mana 1/2.

It's weird how the ability is written out, you have to have the additional description text as "Outlast 2W" doesn't include the actual tap symbol and when you can use the ability would be confusing without it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Nothing there is OMG amazing or anything, but that's to be expected. Honestly the best way to learn to play is either to pick up Duels as someone else mentioned (its like $15) or else find someone else who wants to play and grab a pair of Duel Decks (also like $15) that are designed to be played against each other

ElyrionX

Anyone else think BUG will be a good control shell post rotation? Courser and fetches have great synergy. Prophet of Kruphix could work great in the deck too.

kirblar

Anyone else think BUG will be a good control shell post rotation? Courser and fetches have great synergy. Prophet of Kruphix could work great in the deck too.
BUG control was the best deck in block.

That edict that hits the biggest critter is squarely aimed at Prognostic Sphinx.

kirblar

en_mjpwadzslx.png
en_64ujbqip4a.png

en_uo865ptdmt.png

That wrath is potentially Modern playable.

I have a near-mint unlimited Mox Emerald. I am interested in trading it for 100 shocklands. If anyone is willing and able to make such a trade, PM me so we can talk about details. Thanks!

Angry Grimace

So far the Khans are exactly what I thought they would be, Commander bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom