• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Chandra/Nissa/Sarkhan/Kiora in a green ramp shell with removal and counters sounds "fun".
Add Xenagos while we're at it. Ugh.

On the one hand, new Sarkhan is sick and mono red. On the other hand, it's five mana so it goes well in a ramp shell moreso than in an aggro shell.

Courser and Caryatid are great investments right now, but I don't play those durdly cards.

At least fetches make me happy. Woo affordable mana bases in legacy and modern!

f0rk

Chandra/Nissa/Sarkhan/Kiora in a green ramp shell with removal and counters sounds "fun".

I don't see the point in the blue. I think that kind of deck will be playing more threats than durdly answers like Kiora and counter spells.
To be honest I don't really understand where the blue comes into the RUG wedge yet. Everything so far feels a lot more R/G than U.

red13th

Flooded Strand: Where dragons once slept, their bones now rest.
Polluted Delta: Where dragons once prevailed, their bones now sink.
Bloodstained Mire: Where dragons once triumphed, their bones now molder.
Wooded Foothills: Where dragons' breath once burned, their bones now freeze.
Windswept Heath: Where dragons once roared, their bones now keen.

Love the art (Flooded Strand in particular!), love the flavour texts, Khans seems great.

Firemind

Jund has the edge I reckon, since being able to kill planeswalkers and coursers is going to be a big deal. Regarding Sarkhan's +1, you have to kill it with a destroy effect or burn it to decrease loyalty when it's on the stack, correct? Since once it resolves it stops being a planeswalker.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
These (the allied fetches) will be opened, on average, more than Shocks, assuming equal sales to RTR. The allied fetches will be opened in 5 packs during the block draft.

If the enemy fetches are only in the 3rd set, they get 3 packs; it they're in the 2nd and 3rd, they get 6 packs.

Shocks in RTR were each in 4 packs (plus the small chance of opening them in DGM).

In any case, I'm interested to see what cards in Khans, interact favorably with the fetches. Other than Courser, Ob Nixilis and Griptide, I can't think of any cards that really care much about fetches in standard from Theros Block and M15.

They're going to interact great with Delve. If you've cracked three fetches so far that's essentially 3 free mana for a Delve spell

The Technomancer

Wait, when did they update the formatting for modal spells? Sultai charm is the first time we've seen it on paper, but out of curiosity I checked out the old ones on Gatherer and the oracle text is already
Choose one —
• Destroy target enchantment.
• Draw two cards.
• Target player discards two cards.

rexor0717

Wait, when did they update the formatting for modal spells? Sultai charm is the first time we've seen it on paper, but out of curiosity I checked out the old ones on Gatherer and the oracle text is already

Some people were making comments about it a few pages back. They cited Cryptic Command as an example.

An-Det

At least a few days ago, since I noticed on Twitter a shopped Crpytic with the new formatting. I really like it, so much cleaner this way.

Firemind

I would get the OG duals too on MTGO. Legacy is definitely going to be a lot more accessible and Vintage Masters season is nearing its end so prices can't drop that much more I reckon.

JulianImp

Reprinted ONS fetches?! I guess that means I'll finally be able to dust off my judge foils to play them in standard!

...Still, I won't be playing for a while due to having rearranged my priorities, but I guess it's nice to know I'll be able to recycle some old cards which were sitting in my card boxes gathering dust.

Okay guys....apparently I should be playing the lottery this week:

6seZv8zaVVOkkAdTtL7TUTxtoUx4L.jpg

What is going on with my luck this week? First passed a lotus, then this?

Kacar

Still don't know what speculative purchases to make, I have a full set of thought seizes that I just bought recently and I know I want to use them for sure.

The Technomancer

Wait, is Khans block 2 or 3 sets?

Its three sets, but its super weird. Sets 2 and 3 are codenamed Dewey and Louie, real names aren't known yet.

When just Khans is out, draft is K-K-K

When Khans and Dewey are out draft is K-K-D

When Louie comes out draft is L-L-D, no Khans at all, which is a real departure from the way things were in the past,

Most importantly when the fall 2015 set comes out, Khans and Dewey will rotate out of standard, but Louie will not, a weird exception because of how they want to change the rotation schedule.

noquarter

Reprinted ONS fetches?! I guess that means I'll finally be able to dust off my judge foils to play them in standard!

...Still, I won't be playing for a while due to having rearranged my priorities, but I guess it's nice to know I'll be able to recycle some old cards which were sitting in my card boxes gathering dust.
If you're only using them for standard, just sell four of them and preorder a play set of all of Thrans.

OnPoint

I'm so happy fetches are coming back. I feel bad that my friend got me a Flooded Strand for my birthday like 2weeks ago and feels bad now, but he shouldn't because it was exciting to me.

Legacy here I come.

f0rk

I'm so happy fetches are coming back. I feel bad that my friend got me a Flooded Strand for my birthday like 2weeks ago and feels bad now, but he shouldn't because it was exciting to me.

Legacy here I come.

You can't play 1 Onslaught Flooded Strand and 3 Khan Flooded Strands in Legacy you know

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sarkhan the Good. The abilities that aren't "Sarkhan is invincible Stormbreath Dragon" don't even matter.

So maybe reprint the other fetches in the 3rd set? Or something? Can they make another set of fetches? There are only 2 sets worth right?

Wizards put up an article a while ago, I believe during Theros previews, stating that for two-color land cycles within a block, they intend to print all 10 color combinations instead of just doing enemies or allies like they did before sometimes (like Innistrad), so that every color combination would theoretically be equally feasible, so I would expect the Zendikar fetches to be reprinted this block.

Given the odd rotation schedule, with Khans and "Dewey" rotating out but "Louie" and "M16" staying in, I'm expecting that "Louie" will contain the Zenkiar fetches and "M16" will contain the ally color pain lands, so that the "Louie"-"M16" "block" (jeez, a lot of quotes in this sentence) will have fast lands for each color pair.

On another note, while I'm a fan of the new templating for modal effects, Skinshifter is disgusting now.

Its three sets, but its super weird. Sets 2 and 3 are codenamed Dewey and Louie, real names aren't known yet.

When just Khans is out, draft is K-K-K

When Khans and Dewey are out draft is K-K-D

When Louie comes out draft is L-L-D, no Khans at all, which is a real departure from the way things were in the past,

Most importantly when the fall 2015 set comes out, Khans and Dewey will rotate out of standard, but Louie will not, a weird exception because of how they want to change the rotation schedule.

This is why I'm wondering whether or not Louie and M16 will be mechanically linked somehow. My dumb theory is that since they mentioned a time time travel component to the Khans lore (I think?), the 3rd set will be, or will lead into some 'Khans was Dominaria all along!' kind of twist.

en_52y6b3lhkl.png

Wait - this is a common? What the hell.

bigkrev

This is why I'm wondering whether or not Louie and M16 will be mechanically linked somehow. My dumb theory is that since they mentioned a time time travel component to the Khans lore (I think?), the 3rd set will be, or will lead into some 'Khans was Dominaria all along!' kind of twist.

en_52y6b3lhkl.png

Wait - this is a common? What the hell.

Jesus

Also, glad they are making Morph overlays, if nothing else to make streams a bit better
en_01_sldjkfhkdf.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That is disgustingly awesome.

I remember the old "visual" for morph was some kind of clay-looking anemone.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I don't think that happens until the Spring set in 2016.

Huh, the Temur mechanic is literally just the Naya mechanic except checking for 4 instead of 5. That's pretty lame.

That said, card reviews:
en_1sgi2aed69.png

Hard to believe this is a common. It looks like Abzan's thing is going to be, "desperately weak at the start of the game, but as soon as you get a +1/+1 counter on anything, things start getting crazy."

en_z0z3n43k74.png

This looks like it could be pretty powerful in limited.

en_dys81a1osw.png

You need to exile 3 cards to get this down to a reasonable limited price. I do hope that there are some lower cost delve cards, and/or "free" delve cards that self-mill the same number of cards you exile to cast it.

en_w17xz9rzr9.png

This is a neat card, especially at common. It looks like every clan is going to have a card to produce its three colors; every clan does have red or green in it, so they do make mechanical sense.

en_wqfbs4k6jr.png

I don't really get "deathtouch" from the art or flavor text. Still, looks decent.

en_cv7yxupc0r.png

Definitely a powerful "surprise morph" to turn face up at the wrong time for your opponents.

The morph overlay is pretty neat. Lens of Clarity at common is probably an example of Wizards' semi-recent policy of making answers to block themes easy to get.

en_unvr5e7gfs.png

This is a powerful card, both cast normally and morphed. Don't really see the green, other than maybe the power/toughness boost.

Angry Grimace

All of the mechanics are good except the Temur one. I'm getting pretty pumped for this set. I really hope there's actually something that will interact with Fetches because outside of Landfall mechanics or in sets with Shocks, they're actually pretty bad.

Kerrinck

All of the mechanics are good except the Temur one. I'm getting pretty pumped for this set. I really hope there's actually something that will interact with Fetches because outside of Landfall mechanics or in sets with Shocks, they're actually pretty bad.

Yup, iirc they were mostly used as deck thinners back when they were first released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom