• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultron87

Restoration Angel is my favorite flicker effect, probably because it is my favorite creature ever. Not sure if it does much in Commander though.

kirblar

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";128040095]Cmon insane Abzan charm! Sultai's is sweet but I wanna play Sorin more than Ashiok.[/QUOTE]
But Sorin is godawful, lol.

Mardu Planeswalker Horde

Spells(15):
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 4 Lightning Strike
  • 3 Banishing Light
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 2 Silence the Believers

Creatures(9):
  • 4 Generator Servant
  • 3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
  • 2 Ashen Rider

Planeswalkers(11):
  • 3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
  • 3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
  • 2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
  • 2 Chandra Pyromaster
  • 1 Lilianna Vess

Land(25):
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 4 Caves of Koilos
  • 4 Battlefield Forge
  • 4 Temple of Silence
  • 2 Mana Confluence
  • 2 Nomad Outpost
  • 3 Bloodstained Mire
  • 4 Swamp
  • 1 Mountain

Sideboard(15):
  • 2 Magma Spray
  • 2 Pharika's Cure
  • 2 Bile Blight
  • 1 Crackling Doom
  • 2 Phyrexian Revoker
  • 3 Anger of the Gods
  • 2 Stormbreath Dragon
  • 1 Stain the Mind

rexor0717

Sidisi seems like a worse Grave Titan. Unless I'm reading it wrong, even if you mill 3 creatures, you only get one token right? Because it says "one or more creature" doesn't it just activate once?

Sidisi seems like a worse Grave Titan. Unless I'm reading it wrong, even if you mill 3 creatures, you only get one token right? Because it says "one or more creature" doesn't it just activate once?

Yes but you'd likely play her in a self mill deck and that clause is separate from her self mill action. So you get a zombie every time you self mill from how I'm reading it.

You're right that you only get one token per mill action, but saying the card's a worse Grave Titan is a bit silly. First of all, practically any Modern legal creature is going to be worse than a Titan. Second, it's two mana less. Third, it's legendary, so she can be used as a commander. And lastly, Sidisi is clearly meant to support a self-mill deck, which Grave Titan doesn't necessarily do.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";128044688]Mardu Planeswalker Horde

Spells(15):
  • 4 Thoughtseize
  • 4 Lightning Strike
  • 3 Banishing Light
  • 2 Hero's Downfall
  • 2 Silence the Believers

Creatures(9):
  • 4 Generator Servant
  • 3 Brimaz, King of Oreskos
  • 2 Ashen Rider

Planeswalkers(11):
  • 3 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
  • 3 Sorin, Solemn Visitor
  • 2 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
  • 2 Chandra Pyromaster
  • 1 Lilianna Vess

Land(25):
  • 1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
  • 4 Caves of Koilos
  • 4 Battlefield Forge
  • 4 Temple of Silence
  • 2 Mana Confluence
  • 2 Nomad Outpost
  • 3 Bloodstained Mire
  • 4 Swamp
  • 1 Mountain

Sideboard(15):
  • 2 Magma Spray
  • 2 Pharika's Cure
  • 2 Bile Blight
  • 1 Crackling Doom
  • 2 Phyrexian Revoker
  • 3 Anger of the Gods
  • 2 Stormbreath Dragon
  • 1 Stain the Mind
[/QUOTE]

Trying to play Ashen Rider is like trying to make fetch happen.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorin has a lot of good synergy with Brimaz, but not really with the rest of the deck.

Trying to play Ashen Rider is like trying to make fetch happen.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I've got ashen rider as the lone 8 drop in my yisan deck. The dream happened twice already. Literally the worst thing I can do is draw the card. Literally the best thing that can happen is I hard cast a progenitor mimic targeting the ashen rider after he comes out.

rexor0717

You're right that you only get one token per mill action, but saying the card's a worse Grave Titan is a bit silly. First of all, practically any Modern legal creature is going to be worse than a Titan. Second, it's two mana less. Third, it's legendary, so she can be used as a commander. And lastly, Sidisi is clearly meant to support a self-mill deck, which Grave Titan doesn't necessarily do.

lol this is more or less what I was getting at. She does seem fun though as a commander.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I've got ashen rider as the lone 8 drop in my yisan deck. The dream happened twice already. Literally the worst thing I can do is draw the card. Literally the best thing that can happen is I hard cast a progenitor mimic targeting the ashen rider after he comes out.

Meh, if you're already in Mardu colors, just play Helmsmasher. He doesn't do wacky exile shit, but he's almost certain to get in at least one shot for 7 for only 5.

Firemind

Deadeye was basically the first card I added when I saw it was like a dollar. Seemed like a no-brainer. I'm not doing anything too degenerate with it, at least.

I was mostly thinking about Momentary Blink and Ghostly Flicker since those get two ETBs out of one card, but I'm not really sure what to cut for them.
I'd consider taking out cards based on power level and lack of synergy, like Hokoro, Deadwood Treefolk, Clone, Brutalizer Exarch, Fierce Empath, Angel of Finality etc.

Hero

I already had someone on the local MtG Players Facebook page hit me up as an interested party. He seems to have accepted the trade as fair and is checking to see if he has it all.

Also 100 shocks is a starting point for negotiations, it's not my bare minimum or anything

Hey if you find someone to do it more power to you! Just saying someone would need to be hard up for an emerald that quickly. If we value shocks at 10 dollars then when they hit 20 again you will have doubled your money. It will take a lot longer for the emerald to double it's value. Take the shocks and run. :D

ElyrionX

Edh with a good playgroup is by far my favorite way to play Magic.

With a bad playgroup it's pretty awful, though. When I tried a commander pod at Gencon it was just the predictable Ux combo-fest that I detest.

I think I am pretty ok with combo decks but people need to hurry the fuck up in EDH. Decks with many tutor effects are the worst because looking through a 100-card deck of singles is obviously going to take time. And fuck shuffling too. Just grab your card and put your shit back. It's EDH. No one cares whether you saw what was coming up or not.

I'd consider taking out cards based on power level and lack of synergy, like Hokoro, Deadwood Treefolk, Clone, Brutalizer Exarch, Fierce Empath, Angel of Finality etc.

Is this EDH? Who would take Clone out of a deck? It's the first card I add to every EDH deck I play that runs blue.

sgjackson

the confusing thing about edh and this post is i totally have no idea if you mean low power level and synergy (what i'm assuming) or high due to edh politics.

i do want to live the dream of blinking hokori on opponent's eot at least once (i'd probably dump it after that unless it proved to be really good or something) and i feel like i want the tutoring of brutalizer/empath, but i can see ditching clone/body double/deadwood treefolk/angel of finality (i'd windmill slam this back in if anyone has a graveyard deck).

i'm also eyeballing fiend hunter to be cut.

If I'm being honest with myself though, something like this is probably the best and most streamlined superfriends deck I can see:

Creatures(22):
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Generator Servant
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Genesis Hydra

Planeswalkers
(14)
4 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Nissa Worldwaker
4 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Chandra Pyromaster

Land(24):
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Temple of Abandon
2 Mana Confluence
10 Forests
4 Mountains

Sideboard(15):
4 Mistcutter Hydra
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Unravel the AEther
2 Bow of Nylea
3 Anger of the Gods

Hey if you find someone to do it more power to you! Just saying someone would need to be hard up for an emerald that quickly. If we value shocks at 10 dollars then when they hit 20 again you will have doubled your money. It will take a lot longer for the emerald to double it's value. Take the shocks and run. :D

That's exactly why I'm doing it :) And then a year from now, when fetch lands get close to their low point due to saturation, I hope to cash in a lot of the appreciated shock lands for the fetch lands, and then sit on them til they go up. Investments, etc. Eventually I'd like to forge a decent collection out of that one Mox Emerald

Crocodile

635452072308457943.jpg

I'm pretty sure I prefer Simic Sky Swallower but this card will be plenty annoying :p

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";128077346]If I'm being honest with myself though, something like this is probably the best and most streamlined superfriends deck I can see:

Creatures(22):
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Generator Servant
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Genesis Hydra

Planeswalkers
(14)
4 Xenagos, the Reveler
4 Nissa Worldwaker
4 Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
2 Chandra Pyromaster

Land(24):
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Temple of Abandon
2 Mana Confluence
10 Forests
4 Mountains

Sideboard(15):
4 Mistcutter Hydra
4 Stormbreath Dragon
2 Unravel the AEther
2 Bow of Nylea
3 Anger of the Gods[/QUOTE]

I'd probably kill 1 land and one of each of the 4-count Planeswalkers for more genesis hydras and 2 creatures a la arbor giant or setessan tactics. JFF. My deck will be pretty similar though.

Zocano

So that card is confusing me (much like most of the old morph cards from Scourge).

What's the point if you play a 2/2 for 5 and having to wait another turn to try and keep it survivable.

inthrall

So that card is confusing me (much like most of the old morph cards from Scourge).

What's the point if you play a 2/2 for 5 and having to wait another turn to try and keep it survivable.

Morph lets you play the card as a 2/2 for (3), regardless of what it is on the other side. The cost of (5) is when you want to reveal it as that creature.

Means you can get the card in play a turn earlier, if you don't mind investing more mana in it. Also leaves room for shenanigans when you have multiple morphs and the opponent doesn't know which ones are important.

bigkrev

You play it face down as a 2/2 for 3, and then can turn it up at any time for it's morph cost. So you can play it on turn 3 and flip it on turn 5.

OnPoint

Morph lets you play the card as a 2/2 for (3), regardless of what it is on the other side. The cost of (5) is when you want to reveal it as that creature.

Means you can get the card in play a turn earlier, if you don't mind investing more mana in it. Also leaves room for shenanigans when you have multiple morphs and the opponent doesn't know which ones are important.

I like the idea of treating Morph creatures like a shell game in a game of Magic. I love the idea of that so much.

635452072308457943.jpg

I'm pretty sure I prefer Simic Sky Swallower but this card will be plenty annoying :p

I really like this card. I do hope we see more morph hexproof cards, though, since I think it's a really neat interaction. Also, I notice that despite being in a Temur color pair, there is no clan affiliation, and it even seems to be from the realms of Sultai.

kirblar

635452097719828949.jpg

When she attacks, you can put a +1/+1 counter on another tapped creature you control.
Also Leyline of the Voids your opponent's creature cards. (This ability is sort of bizarre - Pod target?)

ultron87

She'll mess with graveyard shenanigans like the Sultai Khan's. Presumably they'll have more stuff like that.

I really like the art on Rattleclaw Mystic, even though it was spoiled awhile ago. When I first looked at it I was like "what the heck is that?" and had to look closer to see the face.

rattleclawmystic.jpg

Kacar

That art is insanely awesome.

Alos I only got into fnm and tournament magic last year at the beginning of theros and what are the rules for playing with morph? Are you allowed to look at your face down card at any time to verify what it does and the morph cost? Is there a morph trigger when you tap the mana to flip it that they are allowed to respond to?

kirblar

That art is insanely awesome.

Alos I only got into fnm and tournament magic last year at the beginning of theros and what are the rules for playing with morph? Are you allowed to look at your face down card at any time to verify what it does and the morph cost? Is there a morph trigger when you tap the mana to flip it that they are allowed to respond to?
You are allowed to peek, yes.

The flip is instantaneous. If it has a triggered ability on flip, your opponent can respond to the ability, but not the flip itself. If there isn't an ability, you retain priority.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Dude is probably really happy he dumped his stock before the announcement.

Toxi

Banned
635452097719828949.jpg

When she attacks, you can put a +1/+1 counter on another tapped creature you control.
Also Leyline of the Voids your opponent's creature cards. (This ability is sort of bizarre - Pod target?)
She just seems boring and good. She's a big efficient dude that makes your other dudes a bit bigger and adds some extra niche value with grave hate. It's not terrible, but it hardly excites me. :-\ I guess you could get creative with +1/+1 counters...

It also doesn't make much sense to me that the Khan of a slow control-ish clan would be a cheap aggro beatstick.

EDIT: well, it's hard to stay disappointed for long with all the ways to abuse +1/+1 counters... Too bad I keep thinking "Why should I use her instead of Ghave?"

Firemind

Oh great, more legendary/hexproof creatures. Are there noncreatures in this set or is Jeskai confirmed to have the worst mechanic? :lol

Is this EDH? Who would take Clone out of a deck? It's the first card I add to every EDH deck I play that runs blue.
Personally, I think Clone has gotten worse with the new legend rule (can't double down as non-targeted removal anymore). Also after Primeval/Primordial got banned. It's still fine though, but there are better clones out there if you want clone effects like Vesuvian Shapeshifter.

the confusing thing about edh and this post is i totally have no idea if you mean low power level and synergy (what i'm assuming) or high due to edh politics.

i do want to live the dream of blinking hokori on opponent's eot at least once (i'd probably dump it after that unless it proved to be really good or something) and i feel like i want the tutoring of brutalizer/empath, but i can see ditching clone/body double/deadwood treefolk/angel of finality (i'd windmill slam this back in if anyone has a graveyard deck).

i'm also eyeballing fiend hunter to be cut.
That hokori situation definitely counts as a magical christmasland scenario people should be wary about in edh. Either hokori will get killed, you'll be the target of their armies or hokori will screw you over too if you don't have your general in play.

Body Double is fine as it makes Reveillark even better. It's one of those cards that's better than Clone in my opinion. To Clone Reveillark you have to have both creatures out, while Body Double can be used when Reveillark is dead. This is super relevant since people like to use control decks with tons of mass removal.

ElyrionX

Anyone else think that a shell with Courser, Jace, Prophet would be viable post-rotation? Maybe even throw in Kiora, Prog Sphinx and splash red for Keranos.

ElyrionX

Because I bought a playset of it lol.

But seriously, would seem to synergise well with Courser and fetches and other potential delve cards in the set.

Jace is the worst planeswalker right now and there's only one left to be spoiled lol.
I'd probably kill 1 land and one of each of the 4-count Planeswalkers for more genesis hydras and 2 creatures a la arbor giant or setessan tactics. JFF. My deck will be pretty similar though.
I agree with cutting a land for a genesis hydra, but I think you want to guarantee a turn three planeswalker as often as possible so I don't like the other cuts.

Firemind

Ajani is worst. At least one of Jace's abilities actually does something. (who knows, maybe delve will make the +1 relevant.)

Genesis Hydra is secretly the 3rd best green card in standard right now and also secretly the best tutor-esque effect in standard right now. It's value because it can grab enchantments and artifacts and planeswalkers. But what you really end up revealing each time you cast it for more than 5 is your 3rd copy of elvish mystic and all land.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom