• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, I get that they're going in hard on the wedge stuff, but man, I gotta say, I understand what Maro was saying about wedges having a limited design space. A lot of this stuff is clearly just grasping at straws for what would "feel" wedge-like (I was tempted to say "wedgie").

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I know three effect graft isn't the most elegant way to design cards but considering how well two color design space is defined I'm surprised we don't see more "two color effect and synergistic third color effect" design

kirblar

Tom LaPille has been put out to pasture.

I'm sorry, moved to the MTGO team.

(from Sam's unpublished article- it's on Reddit in image form.)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is a really awkward set at the Mythic rare level. Every clan effect got a Mythic card with their effect except for Outlast, because Outlast is even more uncomfortably bad when placed on a Mythic.

Yeef

This is a really awkward set at the Mythic rare level. Every clan effect got a Mythic card with their effect except for Outlast, because Outlast is even more uncomfortably bad when placed on a Mythic.
Abzan's schtick seems to be +1/+1 counters (and tokens), so the hydra works with Abzan, even though it has a Sultai watermark.

I think it's strictly a flavor thing. The Sultai are the clan of the jungles and the design doesn't really make sense in any of the biomes of the other clans.

Yeah, snakes scream blue/green/black to me. Plus the Naga people who are definitely sultai

Angry Grimace

Which of the mythics do you guys think are gonna see Standard constructed play? Sarkhan seems good, but he also is basically the same thing as Stormbreath Dragon except possibly easier to kill on the crackback.

Yeef

I think Sarkhan will see play. Sorin might see play. Clever Impersonator and Wingmate Roc will likely see some play. Pearl Lake Leviathan will see sideboard play in control matchups at the very least.

f0rk

Which of the mythics do you guys think are gonna see Standard constructed play? Sarkhan seems good, but he also is basically the same thing as Stormbreath Dragon except possibly easier to kill on the crackback.

He's also a Flame Slash before being the Dragon if required though. He seems very good.

The Abzan legendary is alright. Hoping Temur's is good (ie not priced for EDH) as well.

Clone could see play.

Wingmate Roc seems a bit awkward, obviously 2 3/4s is good but I don't know if it's aggressive enough as a 5 drops for the decks that will turn him on consistently.

ultron87

Sarkhan should almost definitely seem play. You definitely usually wanna be plussing him but Flame Slashing something and still having a significant, albeit fragile, threat on the board is pretty good.

Edit: Zurgo could be a thing. 7 power Haste/Indestructible (on your turn) from a five drop is pretty significant.

Firemind

Read Paulo's article. His argument about Sarkhan posing a threat whether he's at -1 or -5 is very true.

duxstar

Good/great mythic card for Abzan,creatures with +1/+1 counters are indestructible or hexproof, or gain +x/+x and trample till end of turn, to be honest the Abzan are playable as is , but would love a good charm or mythic that protects against removal.

Even fits with the theme of them being hard to kill/able to survive the harshest conditions, though that's just me wishing at this point

Angry Grimace

I think Sarkhan will see play. Sorin might see play. Clever Impersonator and Wingmate Roc will likely see some play. Pearl Lake Leviathan will see sideboard play in control matchups at the very least.

Sarkhan will see some play, but I don't think he's a 4-of while Stormbreath is around. Why would you play Leviathan over Prognostic Sphinx?

Toxi

Banned
635458537605801564.png
This set is so weird with how complexity is laid out; I feel like the design team forgot about New World Order and how successful it's been at getting new players. Khans of Tarkir has tons of absurdly simple and boring rare cards like that Temur intro pack dude. Meanwhile, this common has First Strike (without reminder text), a combat trick, and Morph all combined on one card.

Firemind

Christ. I hope dragons will get pushed but I fear the worst. Are they going with colour parity (i.e. we're going to see mono green dragons again)?

Wanna see some land dragons

Land Dragon
Land Creature - Mountain Dragon
(Land Dragon isn't a spell, it's affected by summoning sickness, and it has "T: Add R to your mana pool.")
Flying
If Land Dragon would enter the battlefield, sacrifice three Mountains instead. If you do, put Land Dragon onto the battlefield. If you don't, put it into its owner's graveyard.
4/4

rexor0717

Land Dragon
(Land Dragon isn't a spell, it's affected by summoning sickness, and it has "T: Add R to your mana pool.")
Flying
If Land Dragon would enter the battlefield, sacrifice three Mountains instead. If you do, put Land Dragon onto the battlefield. If you don't, put it into its owner's graveyard.
4/4
LOL this would be amazing. Fetch to a dragon.

kirblar

"Basic Creature - ______" is apparently tech that's coming down the pike for things like Shadowborn Disciple and Relentless Rats.

Land Dragon
Flying
4/4

I'm picturing this with the hypothetical Zendikar II and the return of landfall.

Yeef

It wouldn't trigger its own landfall, unless a land with landfall had similar wording to an enchantment with constellation.
It would. Constellation (and abilities like it) are worded that way just for clarity's sake. If constellation just said " Whenever an enchantment enters the battlefield under your control," the enchantment it's on would still trigger it when it enters the battlefield.

ElyrionX

If I see myself playing lots of Modern, now would be a good time to pick up my playsets of shocklands right? Also, do I really need playsets of all the shocklands? I guess, dual color decks will run on-colour shocks as 4-ofs but three colour decks will mostly only run on-colour shocks as 1-ofs or 2-ofs?

If I see myself playing lots of Modern, now would be a good time to pick up my playsets of shocklands right? Also, do I really need playsets of all the shocklands? I guess, dual color decks will run on-colour shocks as 4-ofs but three colour decks will mostly only run on-colour shocks as 1-ofs or 2-ofs?

Now is a great time to pick up the shocklands, for sure.

You may not need playsets of all of them, but it's pretty reassuring to have access to them so that you can play anything you want.

When will people learn that draft isn't all about bombs and combat tricks? Even tonight I heard people complaining about limited being random.

I just won my 11th draft in a row tonight with a deck that was all commons except 3 uncommons(nightfire giant I only cast once, gravedigger I never drew and an endless obedience). I honestly believe that RB aggro is the best deck in M15 draft, and it's what I drafted 3 out of my last 4 wins.

My first round opponent had Spectra Ward, Avacyn and triplicate spirits.
My second round opponent had hornet queen.
My final round opponent had Soul of Shandalar and cone of flame.

I had a consistent curve, great removal and didn't water my deck down with bad cards like Crowd's Favor or Gather Courage.

My deck:
  • 1x Nightfire Giant
  • 1x Gravedigger
  • 1x Accursed Spirit
  • 1x Krenko's Enforcer
  • 1x Borderland Marauder
  • 3x Torch Fiend
  • 1x Forge Devil
  • 2x Goblin Roughrider
  • 1x Thundering Giant
  • 1x Witch's Familiar
  • 1x Rotfeaster Maggot
  • 1x Necromancer's Assistant
  • 2x Lightning Strike
  • 2x Flesh to Dust
  • 1x Covenant of Blood
  • 1x Endless Obedience
  • 1x Crippling Blight
  • 1x Sign in Blood

• 9 Mountains
  • 8 Swamps

Sideboard:
  • 2x Necrobite
  • 1x Festergloom
  • 1x Inferno Fist

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";129282491]When will people learn that draft isn't all about bombs and combat tricks? Even tonight I heard people complaining about limited being random.

I just won my 11th draft in a row tonight with a deck that was all commons except 3 uncommons(nightfire giant I only cast once, gravedigger I never drew and an endless obedience). I honestly believe that RB aggro is the best deck in M15 draft, and it's what I drafted 3 out of my last 4 wins.

[/QUOTE]

You're just too good for this sinful Earth, God's Beard.

Zocano

I always felt limited, in my experience, was really all about who has the better removal suite. Everything else was secondary. You can have middling creatures but if your removal is aces you can still manage pretty well.

You're just too good for this sinful Earth, God's Beard.
It's not about me being the best draft master ever, I just get mad when people complain that they lost a draft because their opponent cracked Elspeth or whatever

I make stupid mistakes all the time, like playing x/1 creatures before I festergloom, or missing upkeep triggers.

I always felt limited, in my experience, was really all about who has the better removal suite. Everything else was secondary. You can have middling creatures but if your removal is aces you can still manage pretty well.

Removal is definitely huge, but I think the thing people most forget about is the curve in draft. It's so easy to jam a bunch of insane 5-drops and lose. I've made that mistake before.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";129284156]It's not about me being the best draft master ever, I just get mad when people complain that they lost a draft because their opponent cracked Elspeth or whatever

I make stupid mistakes all the time, like playing x/1 creatures before I festergloom, or missing upkeep triggers.

[/QUOTE]

"I win every draft," ---> "I'm not bragging!"

I can't wait until you tell us how turned on your model GF got after your draft win

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom