• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toxi

Banned
I would love a card similar to Spike Cannibal for the Abzan that could move all the counters you store up to itself. Preferably a guy with Trample or Lifelink to function as a big finisher.

7549.jpg

ElyrionX

You know, as a new player who wants to play competitively, I realize that Modern is probably easier to get into than Standard especially this close to rotation. Sure, the format is more expensive, less forgiving of mistakes and has many more archetypes. But at least the archetypes are largely established and there is a wealth of information and data out there to read and think about which helps improve your play. New sets don't tend to move the Modern meta too much as well.

Compare this to Standard where the meta can shift tremendously post-rotation and as a player with very limited experience (and wants to play control too lol), it's going to be really hard to settle on a deck post-rotation for FNMs until at least the first major event is held and the meta is established.

Nikodemos

Modern will hit you a lot harder in the wallet, though. A decent reasonably competitive Standard burn deck wasn't (I use past tense since we're so close to rotation) too expensive (apart for the shocklands) but Modern has a lot of pricy staples. True, they tend to stick around, unlike Standard cards (except if they end up banned or a strong hate card gets printed) but the upfront is bigger. And it's a fair bit harder to trade for them, especially as a new or returning player.

Firemind

Modern burn is pretty cheap too.

Standard is far more interesting for deck brewers, since like you said, it's less established and therefore less punishing for new players. There are Game Days after every prereleases where it's very casual. I remember I went to one with a Grixis combo deck with no creatures and played against a Vampire tribal deck. Or one where I went with a nearly mono Valakut deck using my mountains as lightning bolts. That was fun. Sometimes you really hit it off, like discovering Swans of Bryn Argoll is an insane card drawing engine and works amazing with Seismic Assault.

Control might not be the most efficient when sets rotate out and in, but it's a brewer's paradise.

Burn has always been a very solid deck in Modern - the fetch + shock manabase helps a lot. The only reason you haven't seen a lot of results is because it's not a flashy deck and it doesn't have a lot of play to it. It's also pretty soft to lifegain; Kitchen Finks decks can really give it trouble.

I would love a card similar to Spike Cannibal for the Abzan that could move all the counters you store up to itself. Preferably a guy with Trample or Lifelink to function as a big finisher.

7549.jpg

Good idea. It should also have morph with the counter-stealing as a turned-face-up trigger, for maximum surprise value. Of course, since this would let it kill a 2/2, it'll cost about 9 mana to turn face-up.

Firemind

Burn has always been a very solid deck in Modern - the fetch + shock manabase helps a lot. The only reason you haven't seen a lot of results is because it's not a flashy deck and it doesn't have a lot of play to it. It's also pretty soft to lifegain; Kitchen Finks decks can really give it trouble.

People in my area splashed black for Dark Confidant and Bump Into the Night, but they didn't get results. Someone did win a PTQ with Boros Burn in my area just recently, so it's probably the way forward. Boros Charm is busted. :lol

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread or if it applies nationwide, but HEBs here in Houston are selling Theros block boosters for half off. Friend who works at one tipped me off. They're not labeled at the store, but once they ring up they're $1.99 each.

People in my area splashed black for Dark Confidant and Bump Into the Night, but they didn't get results. Someone did win a PTQ with Boros Burn in my area just recently, so it's probably the way forward. Boros Charm is busted. :lol

When Deathrite Shaman was legal, BR was absolutely the way to go; not just for Bump in the Night, but Shaman was just so powerful (essentially a "better" Grim Lavamancer).

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread or if it applies nationwide, but HEBs here in Houston are selling Theros block boosters for half off. Friend who works at one tipped me off. They're not labeled at the store, but once they ring up they're $1.99 each.

Sweet! I'm going to have to check that out.

At risk of being too personal; where in Houston are you? Do you know which LGSs are good? I just moved back into the NW corner out on 290, and I don't know any of the stores in the area.

y2dvd

At risk of being too personal; where in Houston are you? Do you know which LGSs are good? I just moved back into the NW corner out on 290, and I don't know any of the stores in the area.

I used to live in Houston and I would think Asgard Games on Shepherd in the Kirby area would be the closest one to you.

I'll say 8th dimension comics is a pretty good choice, it's in that area if I recall correctly. I just recently got back into MTG, so the stores I used to go to no longer exist :/

Yeef

The problem with the cluestones was that there were 10 of them in a small set, so every draft had like a million of them floating around.

There's only 5 of these in a large set, so they won't be nearly as annoying as cluestones during the draft. As cards these are also fine (as were the cluestones).

ultron87

So 15 mana fixers at common, between banners and refuges, and 5 at uncommon with the tri-lands. Is that enough to support 3 colors?

Yeef

I'm thinking we'll get the Temur Khan as a spoiler tomorrow with the second half of the planeswalkers guide.

kirblar

Exalted Angel was a rare. Rares can be swingy.

Wow, the demon is pretty playable. It's like a bigger Lightning Angel.
Exalted Angel was obnoxious in constructed. :p Even without Astral Slide.

I may need to make some Shard morphs for the 5c Cube. GTFO slivers.

Huh, it looks like Efreet Weaponmaster and Witness of the Ages were both from this week's Latest Developments article posted early. Considering that article was written under the assumption that the entire set would be available, I'm really surprised only those two cards were spoiled. Anyway,

en_da39yq7ru8.png
en_pre1t5pqnd.png

And this cycle from Dragon's Maze comes back:

en_ajnl56wo4i.png

Kheru Lich Lord would probably look better if Whip of Erebos wasn't in the same Standard, but it isn't bad. Butcher of the Horde looks really good! I even looked at it thinking there would be an implicit, "Activate this ability only once per turn," or "Activate only as a sorcery," but nope. I think the banners will be pretty nice to have; I didn't play limited during Return to Ravnica block, so I guess I don't have the same gag impulse that you guys have.

Interesting to see Efreet Weaponmaster at common. It should be nice to have around. Witness of the Ages is boring, but eh, artifact creature in a multicolor set.

This is a pretty nice card.

f0rk

This and Tymaret are a pretty good pair of sac outlets. Mardu tokens might be worth a look. People are going to try and force Athreos in there as well but I think given the creatures available the value comes from tokens not normal creatures.

BxG5NxgCQAEFwjX.jpg

He's just a big ole sweetie.

I feel a Disney movie coming.

Anyway, I still hope we get a card like this:
Bear Change - 1U
Sorcery
Exile target creature. Its owner puts a 4/4 green Bear creature token onto the battlefield.
Never tell a Temur warrior to fight with his bare hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom