• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering |OT3| Enchantment Under the Siege

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMUSIX

ok, so I have to figure out what to do with my cards.

I started playing MTG about a year ago, mostly with a focus on Standard. Bought a box or two of each set, enjoyed building and playing, but now I've developed too many issues with the game and the community.

I'm resigning myself to building a few EDH decks (a format I still enjoy) and one Modern deck to sometimes join a friend at a local store. These will cost about $500 to put together. I'm looking at the literally thousands of cards I have and figure I can offset that cost considerably. But the question is how?

What is the best way to sell off/trade a collection? Card-by-card? Spending friday nights fishing for the right trades? Or just put it up as a single batch on eBay? Sell the rare/mythics on tcgplayer and then put the commons/uncommons in a batch?

Lucario

jeskaiascendancy1.jpg

secretplans.jpg

surrakdragonclaw.jpg

I really want to draft a Secret Plans deck.

edit: Jeskai Ascendancy is a pretty damn fun combo engine. Already started brewing janky lists around it.

ElyrionX

ok, so I have to figure out what to do with my cards.

I started playing MTG about a year ago, mostly with a focus on Standard. Bought a box or two of each set, enjoyed building and playing, but now I've developed too many issues with the game and the community.

I'm resigning myself to building a few EDH decks (a format I still enjoy) and one Modern deck to sometimes join a friend at a local store. These will cost about $500 to put together. I'm looking at the literally thousands of cards I have and figure I can offset that cost considerably. But the question is how?

What is the best way to sell off/trade a collection? Card-by-card? Spending friday nights fishing for the right trades? Or just put it up as a single batch on eBay? Sell the rare/mythics on tcgplayer and then put the commons/uncommons in a batch?

May I know what your issues with the game and community are?

With regards to your question, it depends on how much effort you want to put into selling it. Easiest would be to sell it as a collection but be prepared to discount the entire collection price by at least 30%.

Selling it as singles online or at a LGS is far more tedious but you're likely to get near market value for them. That's just for the tradable rares. Not sure how one would go about getting rid of commons and uncommons.

Kerrinck

Whoa, blood soaked warrior is good. Mono black aggro lives!

Yeah, was starting to miss the Cackler already but they go and release an even better 1 drop.
Now all we need is a replacement for Lifebane, not sure if Master of the Feasts is good enough.

f0rk

Surrak is a 5 drop? Booooo

That 1 drop is really good, y'all gonna waste it on monoblack aggro when you could be playing Raise the Alarm, Tyramet and the new Butcher!

Jeskai seems pretty short changed at the moment, everything relies on non creature spells but there's a lack of good news ones from what I can see.

alternade

Going into Ktk I was hoping jeskai would be the "control" clan, now not so much. The whole set is very aggro and midrange focused.

All I want to see are some playable noncreature spells. The rares/ mythics have bored me so far.

AMUSIX

May I know what your issues with the game and community are?

With regards to your question, it depends on how much effort you want to put into selling it. Easiest would be to sell it as a collection but be prepared to discount the entire collection price by at least 30%.

Selling it as singles online or at a LGS is far more tedious but you're likely to get near market value for them. That's just for the tradable rares. Not sure how one would go about getting rid of commons and uncommons.

Thank you very much...I'll go through and catalog my rares and try to figure out what value is there. Taking a 30% hit would be tough, but if it ends up being enough to fund two decks I have in mind, then I'd be happy.

As for my issues with the community and the game, a bit of this is bitching, but I'm happy to have a discussion on any of these points.

Community:
The competitive nature of too many players makes FNM largely unenjoyable. My wife likes the game, likes seeing the cards, but quickly stopped going because too many people didn't seem to have a good time playing the game, they only had a good time winning. Eventually that got to me as well.
Then there are the players who are along the same lines, but get visibly upset when they lose to a homebrew deck. The number of times my wins were chalked up to luck just got to me. This wasn't one or two players, this was a significant portion of them at three different locations at two different nights of the week. It's been prevalent enough that it's become representative of the 'magic gamer' for me, which is unfair, I know, but something I just realized the other day.
The worst, of course, is when you combine this with someone who has zero social graces. My friend's girlfriend won FNM one time with her mono-red deck. She should have felt great about it, but some dick had to go, pretty much right in her face, "Yeah, well, it doesn't take any skill to win with red." And there were countless times when my opponent would sit there and try to say how I put the wrong cards into my deck, while I'm beating him. It all just became so frequent that I've no desire to go, despite always wanting to play the game.

However, the biggest issue I have with the players (and this crosses over to the game) is netdecking. The BEST games I had at FNM were against decks that surprised me, and they were always the best types of players, too. But fuck if I don't ever see another Fleecemane Lion and Boros Reckoner or a Turn 1 Thoughsieze into Turn 2 PackRat. And in three weeks, there will be another fucking build that everyone is using. If I go to FNM, play five rounds and three of those are against the same deck, it's just boring. But, as I said, that's an issue I have with the game...so...

Game:
Hundreds of cards are released every year, which is awesome. The combinations should be limitless. But they're not. There are cards which are simple better. So if you play control, you'll have full sets these four cards in your deck. If you play RG aggro, you'll have these four, and a black devotion deck will have these four. Certain color decks end up being nonviable, so they're not played. Sure, you might flavor your deck with an odd card selection or two, but, really, it's the same red-wins deck as the next guy has. Heck, look how many control players are lamenting the loss of Sphinx's Rev.
I really can't fault the players too much for this, after all you're trying to build a deck to win. But it does mean that the creativity that the variety of cards should inspire is severely curtailed. It also means that you hear "Oh, this deck..." after playing three cards, which, in my opinion, should not happen.

Draft gets around this a bit, and I do enjoy that format, but it feels so fleeting. And even there, there are specific builds that people are going for.

Finally, there's almost no skill involved in the wins. Wins are about the build of the deck (which, as mentioned above, comes from message boards and whatever deck recently won a tournament), the shuffle of the cards (which, by definition, is random) and a small sliver of knowing when to play what (90% of the time you just play the best card in your hand). Normally this wouldn't be an issue for me, as I appreciate random chance games, but it does make the game feel as if it's decided before play even begins.

Now, I know I'm listing a lot of negatives here, but, the fact is, I do enjoy the game. I like the cards, I like the themes, and I like EDH a lot, mostly because it goes a long way towards removing the predetermined win by creating so much randomness in the deck. You're still pretty much just playing the best card you have, but with 3 or 4 players at the table, there's enough choices to make and enough going on to keep things interesting.

OnPoint

Treasure Cruise = Goonies.

I now want to make a Goonies themed deck.

Who is Sloth?

What is Rocky Road?

These are the questions in my life today.

bigkrev

F instant speed draw.

edit: I am not happy this card saw print: (In the sense that I don't think it's the healthiest type of thing for the game in general.)

disdainfulstroke.jpg

I'm fine with powerful countermagic, as long as it isn't game ending in the early parts of the game (Like Mana Leak and Remand can be in tempo decks).

Very happy this card exists- it's probably the most powerful 2 mana counter they are willing to print these days.

y2dvd

F instant speed draw.

edit: I am not happy this card saw print: (In the sense that I don't think it's the healthiest type of thing for the game in general.)

disdainfulstroke.jpg

With aggro being a thing, I don't see control decks running a set of these though. One or two will be mainboarded and one or two will be sideboarded. It's not that bad imo.

Firemind

Lightning Angel jr. not costing four mana might actually be a boon!

(It also counters every planeswalker in standard besides Ashiok.)

Toxi

Banned
So the last member of the Khan cycle is a 6/6 human that lacks the "When X attacks" ability the rest of the cycle is based on.

Was design team on drugs?

f0rk

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";129319961]I was just pointing out that draft isn't random if players can do well consistently but I see your point.[/QUOTE]

Like sealed right?

I imagine the main purpose of that card is to encourage paying the morph cost for big creatures instead of casting them.

I won't be able to comment on the cards for a bit, but here are two more commons that were missed:
hootingmandrills.jpg
sidisispet.jpg

Both seem decent. And they're both man-eating mandrills.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Sorrak is Nylea 2.0.

FUCKING AWESOME.

God, my RG aggro/planeswalker deck is definitely going RUG. So many good cards that'll just make it super ferocious.

y2dvd

What shell does this belong in though? It doesn't fit into aggro. It's competing with Mogis Maurader which gives intimidate and Herald of Torment which gives flying at 3cmc. The 3/2 body means it dies to a lot of things and it doesn't even have intimidate like good ol Lifebane Zombie.

duxstar

Can they please spoil a new freaking abzan card ???? I'm desperately waiting for the Abzan Charm, and it has about 10 less cards spoiled than the "Sultai" deck.

Edit to add: They haven't made a single thing to prove outlast is an actual thing that people will want to play, it's such a garbage mechanic that they've put on a "limited" rare and an uncommon that sure it works with the clan, but they haven't pushed it at all; all while being like "wait and see how good it is"

f0rk

This and Bloodsoaked Champion make me so happy. Get one more Sac Outlet along with that Demon and you got yourself a stew going.

Image.ashx

!!

I'm not sure about the cards that have 'nontoken' clauses as I think the main source of sac value will be cards like Raise the Alarm and Rabblemaster. Bloodsoaked Champion is a start obviously.

Firemind

Can they please spoil a new freaking abzan card ???? I'm desperately waiting for the Abzan Charm, and it has about 10 less cards spoiled than the "Sultai" deck.

Edit to add: They haven't made a single thing to prove outlast is an actual thing that people will want to play, it's such a garbage mechanic that they've put on a "limited" rare and an uncommon that sure it works with the clan, but they haven't pushed it at all; all while being like "wait and see how good it is"
well, they gave a mythic leviathan prowess (how does a giant sea serpent even have prowess?) and it doesn't even have trample or islandwalk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom